Serious Train Crash in Spain

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I felt this needed to be at least acknowledged on the forums. If you are unaware, a train in Spain was turning on a sharp corner, derailed, and crashed into a wall. 80 people have died so far and many have been injure as a result of this tragedy. Does this reflect we (I mean everyone, not just Spain) need for more safety? I pray for all of the victims and all of those who lost family and friends in this tragic accident

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
From what I have been told, the drivers both came out unharmed and were doing twice the limit they were suppose to on a curve. Better safety, meh. Drivers that aren't retarded, you bet.

Mack the Knife

From what I have been told, the drivers both came out unharmed and were doing twice the limit they were suppose to on a curve. Better safety, meh. Drivers that aren't retarded, you bet.

Thanks for bringing that up. I missed that piece of information. Yeah, I guess they may spend a lifetime in jail if they're charged for 80 counts of manslaughter.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I heard something about one of the drivers knew they were going too fast, and one of them was in the hospital and one OK. They said one was being investigated, but didn't say which one. The one that's OK may have been a less senior officer and may not have had enough influence, though I really don't know all the facts.

AJers

Your typical e-wench
a train crashed into a town in canada a couple weeks ago and no thread was made, why is this any different
Because BBC news sent me a notification thing on my phone that beeped me; thus, it became important. ;)

Also, more than 100,000 people have been killed in Syria and Africa's insane.

Just saying...

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus

From what I heard the train was traveling at over 190 km/h at the time of the accident; the speed limit for the curve was 80 km/h, so technically they were doing more than twice the speed limit.

Still, somebody clearly did not learn the lesson of "If you turn while going too fast, bad shit is going to happen because of this thing called centrifugal force. As in, that train could fucking derail." Ergo, some people are stupid and this is one of those cases.

There's apparently this old post on the driver's fb wall that has him brag about driving at ~200km/h.

Gotta wonder how this guy's been able to get away with multiple violations.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Time to repair the rails... I suppose?
Europe seems to get this more often now, and I think they need to invest more on repairing the rails.

And that London's rails are so old that they are not safe for high speed trains, that's why they don't get faster trains there.

Cresselia~~

damn that driver sure was loco
Have they not changed to computerized monitoring?
They still have drivers? (I mean, are you sure that driver's the one who control the speed and when to turn? Normally it should be computerized and the driver's rights to override computer orders are only for emergency purposes.)

a train crashed into a town in canada a couple weeks ago and no thread was made, why is this any different

right as i saw your post i started to read it as:

"if a train crashed into a town in canada and nobody heard it etc etc"

I felt this needed to be at least acknowledged on the forums. If you are unaware, a train in Spain was turning on a sharp corner, derailed, and crashed into a wall. 80 people have died so far and many have been injure as a result of this tragedy. Does this reflect we (I mean everyone, not just Spain) need for more safety? I pray for all of the victims and all of those who lost family and friends in this tragic accident

can you link to an article next time or something? and safety should always be (and generally is) the number one priority in anything involving the upublic. unless this is a reoccurring incident i don't think we need 'more' safety. if what you said is true though, it seems the drivers are to blame. but why trains don't have automatic breaks once a train exceeds a specific speed is beyond me.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It seems like the driver had a habit of going crazy speeds like this before from what I heard. My only question is if he has done this on a regular basis how did nobody notice? If a train arrives 5-10 minutes before it should wouldn't somebody have taken notice?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
From what I recall, all american transcontinental transport trains (yeah they exist) are computer limited to 70 MPH by the federal government (probably why the business isn't that great).

The technology is there to automatically limit speeds.

Mack the Knife

From what I recall, all american transcontinental transport trains (yeah they exist) are computer limited to 70 MPH by the federal government (probably why the business isn't that great).

The technology is there to automatically limit speeds.

Well, it'd be safe to bet that after this incident that restriction will probably be applied to most trains in Europe. It's sad it cost 80 lives for it to happen though.

Cresselia~~

Well, it'd be safe to bet that after this incident that restriction will probably be applied to most trains in Europe. It's sad it cost 80 lives for it to happen though.

That should be much easier and cheaper to apply than completely switching the whole system into computer monitoring.
(such as automatic deceleration before turns, and automatic halt if the train in front was too close)
Though the latter would be even safer.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
man isn't it cool that now as soon as a bunch of people die everybody around the world can instantly see the footage of them being murdered

seriously though it's a good thing you guys are discussing all these excellent ideas, I'm sure that given all the power and influence the average smogon user has we will be able to change these outdated and hazardous safety regulations

Mack the Knife

man isn't it cool that now as soon as a bunch of people die everybody around the world can instantly see the footage of them being murdered

seriously though it's a good thing you guys are discussing all these excellent ideas, I'm sure that given all the power and influence the average smogon user has we will be able to change these outdated and hazardous safety regulations

Dude, when a tragedy like this happens you shouldn't make fun. That was extremely insensitive.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
this whole fucking thread is insensitive you asshat
that was the point

what in the fucking fuck can possibly come of discussing tragedy? why in the shit does this deserve a thread over any of the other millions of things that are going wrong right now?
Okay. Blink. Right as you blinked, just in that second, there was a four year old kid, some where in the world, getting their ass torn apart with a wrench; an old woman getting shot to death for being accused of being a witch; a gay kid getting stoned to death; a man watching his daughter get raped over a debt; etc etc etc etc

edit: lol that kinda rhymes

how does it do anybody any good to dwell on the very, very horrific nature of our planet? What on earth is there to discuss itt?

also, humour is not always meant to be funny, or to dwell on subjects that are "safe" all-around: quite contrary. humour can and is viably used to touch on controversial or tragic events in a satirical way, especially if said event [or an aspect of it] is incongruous or absurd when seen in a certain light.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)