Victim of the Week v2, Kyurem

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

This guy is a great check (flat out counter?). Immune to water (completely taking torrent out of the picture) and resists Crunch and Superpower. It'll get clobbered by some weird EQ or Return set, but what are the odds of that? Plus Dry skin healing on Toxi's side.

252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Drain Punch vs. 184 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 153-181 (42.85 - 50.7%) -- 94.92% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(+0 SD set)
132+ Atk Toxicroak Drain Punch vs. 184 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 106-126 (29.69 - 35.29%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
(+0 Bulk Up set)
+1 132+ Atk Toxicroak Drain Punch vs. 184 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 159-187 (44.53 - 52.38%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(+1 Bulk Up set)

+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Crunch vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 117-138 (37.38 - 44.08%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Crunch vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 117-138 (37.38 - 44.08%) -- 18.21% chance to 3HKO after weather
(against SD)

+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Crunch vs. 244 HP / 120 Def Toxicroak: 99-117 (26.9 - 31.79%) -- possible 4HKO
+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Crunch vs. 244 HP / 120 Def Toxicroak: 99-117 (26.9 - 31.79%) -- possible 7HKO after weather
(Bulk up)

The allmighty Kyurem enters this thread

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 52 HP / 220 SAtk / 236 Spd
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Roost
- Substitute

Kyurem may not have the greatest typing of OU, but my good does it do a good job countering/checking (bah) waters: including the allmighty Feraligatr. Feraligatr's STABs are weaker against it, whilst Crunch does a fairly low damage to it.

252+ Atk Feraligatr Crunch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 90-107 (22.27 - 26.48%) -- possible 5HKO

Yeah, that is without the specific defense-investments that you might want for a 1v1 scenario. Even at +2 by SD fails to reliably 2hko Kyurem:

+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Crunch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 180-212 (44.55 - 52.47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Meanwhile, Kyurem can gleefully Roost and Substitute away helped by the fact that unless Gatr is using a DD set, Kyurem is faster than it, I admit that Kyurem is far from the best way to deal with Feraligatr, but it serves a practical purpose against it without going to a specific set build to just deal with it. Also Earth Power 3HKO's, factor that in with potential SR and/or LO damage on Feraligatr's side and you get a fairly good check against it:

220+ SpA Kyurem Earth Power vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 124-146 (34.73 - 40.89%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The only way Feraligatr can deal reliably with Kyurem is to either boost up to +4/+6 which gives Kyurem a free substitute, or hope for a crit/defense drop which can honestly screw over a lot of checks that Feraligatr has.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^wait. But

+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Superpower vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 540-636 (133.66 - 157.42%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And it's the one of the most common coverage options

EDIT: ROFL, also just found out Waterfall 2HKOes in the Rain, it's an Outright OHKO w/ Torrent activated. Lol yeah, good luck with the 'gleeful' Sub stall

yeah i have to quote soul fly, kyurem-b can't block feraligatr because of superpower (which is the most common coverage move with crunch) and therefore i'd call it a scary check at least.

ah, i forgot to nominate this on my list of checks / counters so i'm posting it now:

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Roar

RestTalk Gyarados is a boss to stop Feraligatr, Intimidate is really good and Roar with Gyarados' bulk is enough to destroy Feraligatr with the entry hazards (toxic spikes are usually enough, or stealth rock plus a layer of spikes), the only issue is Waterfall's chance to flinch which can sometimes be really annoying but if you aren't too much unlucky RestTalk Gyarados can be used to stop any Feraligatr without any problem. In my experience even Dragon Dance Gyarados with Intimidate and with some bulk can check Feraligatr and setup on it at the same time but RestTalk Gyarados is definitely better than Dragon Dance Gyarados for this role due to Rest and Dragon Dance Dos is (imo) better with Moxie lol. Well, that's all I guess.

Kyurem won't work? The stats I was looking at suggest Superpower isn't especially common compared to Crunch, Ice Punch and even Earthquake. And if it does have Superpower, if Kyurem switches in on Swords Dance or any other move, it outspeeds and can sub continuously to wear out Superpower's PP while lowering Feraligatr's stats.
Forgive me if I'm missing something ;~;

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yes, you're missing a fair bit, let me explain. People use many variants of Feraligatr sets. Some choose to run 2 water STABS + 1 coverage some choose to run Aqua Jet+2 coverage moves and some (inexplicably) choose to run Waterfall+3 coverage.
If you are looking at Viable (i.e non stupid) Gatr sets, then they run the following 3 coverage moves the most
1. Crunch
2. Superpower
3. Ice Punch

If you head over to the Recently Revamped Feraligatr OU analysis, you'l see it corroborates too what I'm saying.

--- About your Kyurem-B concerns.--
And if it does have Superpower, if Kyurem switches in on Swords Dance or any other move, it outspeeds and can sub continuously to wear out Superpower's PP
Which is not quite the case because even without Rain OR Torrent Boost boost (I'm taking out the 2 most common factors about gatr)

+2 252+ Atk Mystic Water Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 162-191 (40.09 - 47.27%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

so you are reliably breaking sub, every time without wasting Superpower PP that and the fact that after rocks this is a 2HKO anyways.(Kyurem cannot sub more than 3 times even w/ leftovers, and even without rocks damage)

A combination of Waterfall+Aqua jet = Dead Kyurem
Combination of 3 or more Waterfalls = Dead Kyurem.
Combination of Superpower+Nothing = Dead Kyurem

The worst part is that you cannot OHKO Gatr even after rocks, so all you're doing is putting him in Torrent range (<33%) which makes his sweep easier, and you get hit harder.

That and the fundamental fact that Kyurem CANNOT SWITCH IN on Feraligatr in the first place excepton set up which makes it a (very shaky) CHECK and absolutely not in any way a Counter.

Fun Fact

Calc with other factors included.

A. With Rain

+2 252+ Atk Mystic Water Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem in rain: 243-286 (60.14 - 70.79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

B. With Rain+ Torrent active
+2 252+ Atk Mystic Water Torrent Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Kyurem in rain: 363-428 (89.85 - 105.94%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO (Guaranteed OHKO after rocks)

rofl. counter indeed. He doesn't even need Superpower lol.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I absolutely despise Feraligatr, and considering Toxicroak and Gyarados were already posted, time to bring out the big guns.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Wish

Vaporeon is a very interesting case, while usually overshadowed by the likes of Rotom-W and Gyarados as a "bulky water" nowadays, I feel Vaporeon is still a very useful Pokemon in today's metagame, and surprisingly tanks a lot of hits, especially from Feraligatr. Vaporeon has decent enough recovery and bulk to handle it comfortably while supporting the team at the same time. It can Poison Feraligatr and damage it pretty decently under Rain. When you factor in Poison + Wish Protect you can wear down Gatr pretty fast. A Rain boosted Scald is also nothing to mess around with. If burned Feraligatr has no chance of breaking through Vaporeon. Below are some calcs for the representation of Vaporeons bulk against Feraligatr's different combinations. For the most part, Vaporeon doesn't care about Feraligatr unless it reaches +4 or above, and considering that if Feraligatr is running Ice Punch, it can't hurt Vaporeon at all. Vaporeon is a decent enough check / counter, and usually Vaporeon can easily handle the Gatr without much trouble. Once Poisoned, it is on a timer. Although you have to play a little elegantly around it, this is really the only counter left.

+4 252+ Atk Feraligatr Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 364-429 (78.61 - 92.65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 243-286 (52.48 - 61.77%) -- 98.44% chance to 2HKO

+4 252+ Atk Feraligatr Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 243-286 (52.48 - 61.77%) -- 98.44% chance to 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Feraligatr Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 162-191 (34.98 - 41.25%) -- 77.25% chance to 3HKO

nice set pdc! vaporeon is one of my favourite as well. it has a really good bulk, super recovery move in rain and a not bad SAtk which with scald's chances to burn is really annoying. nothing else to say, goob job. i'll open another discuss in about 24 hours btw so if you have something to post to it asap, thanks you guys.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Power Whip
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder

BKC posted it for Garchomp, but this set absolutely wrecks Feraligatr, probably one of the best counters in OU to have for it. Tangrowth was really a beast in BW1, being one of the few solid answers to Terrakion and DD Dragonite and was the MVP of my old rain stall. It still has a pretty nice niche in BW2, even with a whole new generation of attackers and a bit less of some of the guys who Tangrowth used to wall. Anyways this set beats Feraligatr in every which way possible Adamant Max +2 Crunch does 25.25% - 29.7% and 32.92% - 38.61% with a Life Orb, while Superpower under the same conditions 37.87% - 44.55% only does, and achieves 2hko damage only with +2 LO Superpower, although it can't even KO Tangrowth after because of the resulting attack drop. Furthermore, Crunch only does 252 +4 Atk Feraligatr (+Atk) Crunch vs 252 HP/252 Def Tangrowth (+Def) : 37.87% - 44.55% at +4 with no LO, which is pretty ridiculous, and Tangrowth can live +4 Superpower as well, 56.44% - 66.58%, Tangrowth survives +4 LO versions as well but I guess that's not as relevant since most people use Mystic Water anyways. Anyways, on the flip side, Tangrowth does 82.96% - 98.39%, with a Power Whip, which is often a KO after rocks/spikes, which could definitely be up, since Tangrowth is commonly used on stall teams, the version I ran on my old rainstall does 85.53% - 100.96% [28 atk, I just kept the evs since they were on Heist's Tangrowth set that was on wishmkr and figured it netted a ko with EQ or Pwhip], which virtually always kos after SR and can actually get the de facto OHKO if you're lucky enough. Additionally, Leech Seed and Sleep Powder can always deal with Feraligatr as well, giving you extra damage on him or incapaciting him completely so you can kill with Power Whip, or even Giga Drain if you want to use that [does 73.95% - 87.46%]. Overall Tangrowth is a great counter for Feraligatr, you obviously shouldn't stick him on your team just for this purpose, but it's still a pretty good and viable Pokemon, and countering a powerful and underrated threat like Feraligatr, so well, is a nice bonus.

So, the next victim is...
83 Hp / 106 Atk / 65 Def / 86 Satk / 65 Spd / 85 Spe​
Ability: Anticipation, Dry Skin, Poison Touch​
Toxicroak is for sure an interesting mon to use right now, it can setup on lots of other mon (Keldeo, Ferrothorn, Tentacruel and Breloom for example) its Sword Dance / Bulk Up and then it isn't so easy to stop because of its not bad coverage (Fight + Dark + Ice is quite good, especially because the Dark-type move its a priority move). So, what you guys use to stop that frog which is actually an annoying threat for some Rain teams?​

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay so my counter is...

Hippowdon!

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Roar

Hippowdon is a great switch in to any Toxicroak. Even at +2, Hippowdon can tank a +2 Ice Punch and either Roar Toxicroak out or just Earth Quake for big damage.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 263-309 (62.61 - 73.57%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is assuming the worst conditions, and it's still a solid switch in.

0 Atk Hippowdon Earthquake vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Toxicroak: 338-398 (107.98 - 127.15%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As for the Bulk Up set, Hippowdon is still hitting it hard with Earth Quake, or just phaze it out, and the Bulk Up set usually doesn't carry Ice Punch, so imo it's a solid counter.

I direct you to my own logo: Gengar, or more preferably, SubDisable Gengar.

Arguably, it's one of the most effective checks to any Toxicroak. Sucker Punch won't touch Gengar when using Substitute or Disable, Drain Punch can't touch Ghost-Types, and Bulk-Up/Toxic doesn't hurt Gengar much. The only thing Toxicroak has on Gengar is Ice Punch, but once drawn out, Gengar will be difficult to stop directly.

Other, more usable checks include Skarmory thanks to having good Physical Bulk and access to Taunt and Whirlwind, Cloyster for being able to take an unboosted Drain Punch, Shell Smash, and retaliate with a hard hitting Icicle Spear, Infernape for practically resisting every attack but Drain Punch and hitting hard with its own Fire-Move, Ninetales for removing Rain and turning Toxicroak's ability upside-down, and good ol' Alakazam for simply having more speed, a Psychic STAB, and Focus Sash against Sucker Punch varients.

I'm just giving general Pokemon, but you can assume the usual EV spread with them, whether Physical Bulk for Skarmory, Sweeper EVs for Cloyster, Infernape, and Alakazam, and...whatever people use Ninetales for, honestly.

Bar None, though, I personally find that once the Substitute is broken, Trick Reuniclus laughs at the Poison Frogger the most. After tricking Flame Orb on Toxicroak, it's only a matter of Psyshocking/Psychic-ing for the KO and Tricking Black Sludge onto a non-Poison of your opponent's.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I was going to mention physically defensive Skarmory, but everyone knows that it can check pretty much any physical attacker lacking an Electric or Fire-type move, so I'm going to be a bit more original.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 168 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 196-231 (55.52 - 65.43%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados is one of the greatest checks to Swords Dance Toxicroak in OU, taking only half from a +1 Sucker Punch and then threatening to either setup on it or KO it with Bounce. Although DD Gyarados doesn't really like to go up against the BU variants, the SD variants can't really do too much to it aside from spamming Sucker Punch praying it doesn't Sub up, or spamming Ice Punch praying it doesn't use Bounce. Gyarados' speed EVs are tailored to speed creep SD Croak, forcing it to use Sucker Punch. Gyarados can potentially use Toxicroak as setup fodder with proper prediction, as most players wont want to keep there Toxicroak in on a Gyarados. To be quite honest, Gyarados is probably one of the very few setup sweepers that can actually threaten SD Toxicroak, as most setup sweepers like Salamence, Garchomp, and Latias wont like taking a Sucker Punch. Thanks to Intimidate, decent bulk, and a nifty Fighting-type resistance, Gyarados has no problem threatening Toxicroak. It's definitely something that every team using SD Toxicroak should keep in mind.

OR

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Roar

Although Sub DD Gyarados can properly check the SD variants, RestTalk Gyarados can pretty much wall every Toxicroak (except the extremely rare NP set). Ice Punch doesn't even deal above 40% at +1. The goal of this set is simple, come in on Toxicroak, phaze it out, end of story. It can't actually hurt Toxicroak because of it being immune to its only attacking move, Waterfall, but Gyarados is one of the best defensive checks to pretty much any Toxicroak variant out there. If it happens to be the Sub Toxic variant, all you have to do it Rest next turn. Pair Gyarados up with hazards, and you'll never lose to a Toxicroak as long as this thing is alive and well.

Last edited:
I was going to mention physically defensive Skarmory, but everyone knows that it can check pretty much any physical attacker lacking an Electric or Fire-type move, so I'm going to be a bit more original.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 168 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Toxicroak Sucker Punch vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 196-231 (55.52 - 65.43%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados is one of the greatest checks to Swords Dance Toxicroak in OU, taking only half from a +1 Sucker Punch and then threatening to either setup on it or KO it with Bounce. Although DD Gyarados doesn't really like to go up against the BU variants, the SD variants can't really do too much to it aside from spamming Sucker Punch praying it doesn't Sub up, or spamming Ice Punch praying it doesn't use Bounce. Gyarados' speed EVs are tailored to speed creep SD Croak, forcing it to use Sucker Punch. Gyarados can potentially use Toxicroak as setup fodder with proper prediction, as most players wont want to keep there Toxicroak in on a Gyarados. To be quite honest, Gyarados is probably one of the very few setup sweepers that can actually threaten SD Toxicroak, as most setup sweepers like Salamence, Garchomp, and Latias wont like taking a Sucker Punch. Thanks to Intimidate, decent bulk, and a nifty Fighting-type resistance, Gyarados has no problem threatening Toxicroak. It's definitely something that every team using SD Toxicroak should keep in mind.

Also keep in mind that the RestTalk set does an even better job at handling Toxicroak, but it can't actually threaten it outside of phazing it out.
Sub toxicroak sets up in its face

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sub toxicroak sets up in its face
It's supposed to be a check to the SD Toxicroak, not the BU set. I thought I made it clear that the BU set is still a problem unless running a phazing move.

It's supposed to be a check to the SD Toxicroak, not the BU set. I thought I made it clear that the BU set is still a problem unless running a phazing move.
SubSD is viable, but whatever.
I just don't believe subdd gyarados is too good of a check because you give it an extra set-up turn if you don't guess the set right, and if you try to scout its set you might end up letting it get up 2 SDs and you won't even be able to check that then.

Physically defensive Hippowdon, Skarmory, RestTalk Gyarados and Jellicent are the best Toxicroak counter around without any doubt. Hippowdon can switch even into Drain Punch +2 and OHKO back with Earthquake, Skarmory does the same with Brave Bird, Gyarados can just Intimidate and phaze it later with Roar and Jellicent just blocks the frog totally and can burn it with Will-O-Wisp. However, there are some underrated and available counters / checks as well, Sableye is immune to Drain Punch and can Will-O-Wisp it, Landorus-T can switch into any move expect Ice Punch and kill it back with Earthquake (be sure to run a faster Landorus-T anyway to not get wrecked by Sword Dance + Ice Punch), Slowbro and Reuniclus resist to Sucker Punch +2 and can OHKO it back with Psychic / Psyshock and even Gengar only fears Ice Punch and can Substitute on the Sucker Punch and then Disable it. Lastly, there are some revenge-killers as well of course like Focus Sash Alakazam, Choice Band Scizor and Kyurem-B, even Terrakion with Earthquake can work if Toxicroak is already weakened (many people don't expect EQ from a Terrakion right now so they tend to stay in and Drain Punch Terrakion). Well, I think it's enough :p i'll open the new discuss in about 48 hours so if you have something to post do it as soon as possible :D thank you

Last edited:
So, the next victim is...

Reuniclus
110 Hp / 65 Atk / 75 Def / 125 Satk / 85 Spd / 30

Ability: Overcoat, Magic Guard, Regenerator

With a base statistic of 125 in SAtk and with Trick Room Reuniclus is an underrated threat right now, especially for the offensive teams which run Garchomp, Keldeo, Terrakion, Lati Twins and other fast mons. Reuniclus has a good coverage too since Psychic + Focus Blast + Shadow Ball hits hard the majority of the metagame. Also, it can run a Calm Mind which while it isn't as threating as the Trick Room variant for offensive teams, it's more threating for defensive teams. As last thing, Reuniclus has a great ability (Magic Guard) which allows to not take damage by entry hazards, status or weather which helps both Trick Room and Calm Mind set to live longer. So how do you guys deal with Reuniclus?​

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Right, so my counter to Reuniclus is...

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Calm Nature
- Perish Song
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn

While most people think of Jirachi or Celebi when thinking of Reuniclus counters, I've decided to post Meloetta. It has amazing special bulk, with a base 100 HP and base 128 SpDef, as well as max investment, it's easily walling special attackers like Reuniclus all day. While Meloetta can't do much back to Reuniclus, it can Perish Song CM variants, while only taking neutral damage from a un reliable Focus Blast, which still isn't hitting hard on either set (TR or CM).

Perish Song acts as a phazer, forcing out CM Reuniclus. Psyshock is STAB and hits for pretty decent damage on neutral threats. Thunder Wave offers utility in paralysing the opposing team, while U-turn allows Meloetta to escape from Scizor and Tyranitar on the switch, while also gaining momentum.

Very cool and under rated Reuniclus counter.

I expect to see Jirachi, Perish Song Celebi, Scizor, and Tyranitar also mentioned

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
Right, since no one else has posted for a few days I might as well post another counter to Reuniclus

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

You can't get more standard than Scizor. Everyone knows about this guy. Scizor has been ranked #1 in usage stats since the ban of Genesect, and for a good reason. Only one weakness, solid typing, a STAB U-turn which hits very hard, priority in the form of Bullet Punch, and being able to check top threats like Alakazam, Terrakion, and Kyurem-B are just some of the reasons why it's the most used Pokemon. This is a great counter to Reuniclus, as Reuniclus only 2HKO's with the Offensive Trick Room setting (meaning Scizor switches in while Reuniclus sets up Trick Room, takes a hit, and dies). Calm Mind variants are even easier to beat, as a non invested Focus Blast isn't doing much at all to Scizor.

Okay so move set and EV explanation. U-turn is hitting extremely hard on neutral threats, while gaining momentum for your team. Bullet Punch offers strong priority, mainly because it's boosted by Technician as well as Scizor's great base 130 attack stat. Pursuit allows Scizor to trap a out of Psychic and Ghost types trying to switch out, like Gengar, Starmie, and -2 Latios. Super Power allows Scizor to hit Magnezone and Heatran on the switch, some of the best counters to Scizor. Max attack is to make Scizor hit very hard. 252 HP EVs would make Scizor's HP divisible by 8, so 248 HP EVs are used to maximize Scizor's bulk while giving it one additional opportunity to switch into Stealth Rock. The leftover EVs are placed into SpDef.

Chople Berry Tyranitar with Crunch + Pursuit is a solid check to Reuniclus and stuff like CB Tyranitar is a great RK to Reuni. Scizor is probably the best counter all-round for no HP fire Reuniclus, Jirachi Iron SpD or Wish CM Jirachi are another great counters of Reuniclus, Taunt + Protect Gliscor beats Psyshock variants, Perish Song Celebi SpD, Utility wall Jellicent beat him with Taun too, Sableye counters any Reuniclus set; offensive pressure beat Reuniclus, OTR Reuniclus is very annoying for another offensive teams but lacks to recovery and cm while that CM Reuniclus is one of the biggest threats for Stall teams.

Other counters / checks for Reuniclus are Chansey, Blissey (just for the Trick Room one since they lose to Calm Mind variants) and Victini which resists to both Focus Blast and Psychic / Psyshock if Reuniclus runs Calm Mind and can tank a Shadow Ball from the Trick Room variant. In both cases, Victini can damage hard Reuniclus (even OHKO it with a V-Create from the Choice Band and with the sun up) with V-Create and U-Turn. Anyways, Hot N Cold says practically all there were to say so good job on that! I'll open the new discuss after the next weekend though.

Last edited:

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Pain Split

That's the perfect counter of reuniclus. Taunt for CM/Troom, sucker punch if Reuni has shadow ball, pursuit if he want to running away, split if it is a recover clus. Pressure is needed to get rid of Shadow Ball's PPs in less turns, because it's the only move who can hit Spiritomb.

Last edited:
So, the next Victim is...

Kyurem-B

125 Hp / 170 Atk / 100 Def / 120 Satk / 90 Spd / 95 Spe
Ability: Teravolt

With a stellar base Attack of 170 Atk and a Outrage STAB Kyurem-B is one of most annoying mon to face in OU. Fortunately, though, it has a really small physical moverpool (just Outrage, Dragon Claw and Fusion Bolt) so it can't take advantage at 100% of its Choice Band set. However, it has still some interesting moves like Earth Power, Ice Beam and Hidden Power Fire which allows him to bypass its checks (for example Hidden Power Fire wrecks Ferrothorn and Scizor). What you guys use to stop Kyurem-B?​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)