A New Tier

Is this Tier a good idea

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Smogoners, Smgonites and Smogonieers! First off let me say that I was confused on where to post this thread. I was about to post it in the Pokémon Showdown Forum, but I think it would end up better in the Suggestion Box since Pokémon Showdown and Smogon are deeply intertwined. Second, I would also like to inform you that I have been playing Pokémon competitively for two years and recreationally for another seven years. Enough about me, lets get on with the idea...

I propose that we should make a new tier on Pokémon Showdown. Tiers are designed to keep stronger Pokémon battling stronger Pokémon and weaker Pokémon battling weaker Pokémon. This is a great method except a certain group of Pokémon still are left in the dust despite being in their appropriate tier. What is this group of Pokémon you ask?

The Pokémon that don't evolve.

Pokémon who don't evolve are (most of the time) statistically weaker than Pokémon with evolution families. Also, Pokémon who don't evolve are excluded from the Little Cup tier, a tier in which contains Pokémon that have not yet evolved. Now, don't get me wrong. All Pokémon have a niche in the metagame, no matter how big or small. For example, I am currently running a moxie Mightyena as a sweeper on my OU team (It is working fantastically).

Current players are getting frustrated in today's metagame (especially in OU) because they keep coming across the same Pokémon. The reason why these Pokémon are so common is because they are easy to win with. This tier will give players the chance to create strategies with Pokémon that wouldn't even be used in NU. As for the size of the tier; it will contain 56 Pokémon. These Pokémon are as follows:

Farfetch'd
Kangaskhan
Pinsir
Tauros
Lapras
Ditto
Aerodactyl
Unown
Girafarig
Dunsparce
Qwilfish
Shuckle
Heracross
Corsola
Delibird
Skarmory
Stantler
Smeargle
Miltank
Mawile
Plulse
Minun
Volbeat
Illuminse
Torkoal
Spinda
Zangoose
Seviper
Lunatone
Solrock
Castform
Kecleon
Tropius
Absol
Relicanth
Luvdisc
Pachirisu
Chatot
Spiritomb
Carnivine
Rotom (And all of its forms)
Audino
Throh
Sawk
Basculin
Maractus
Sigilyph
Emogla
Alomomola
Cryogonal
Stunfisk
Druddigon
Bouffalant
Durant
Heatmor

Like any other tier, this will change through generations as new Pokémon will come in and previous ones will gain an evolution family.

Well, that is my idea. I hope you all like it and hopefully in the distant future, this could be put into affect. Criticism is appreciated but hey, we are all humans here so nothing vulgar or rude. :) Before I go, I have a few other points.
  • The same clauses and rules that pertain to the OU metagame will effect this Tier
  • This tier shall be abbreviated to NE (No Evolution)
  • Yes I realize that Skarmory will be a big pain but there is a plethora of electric types in the tier.
  • There are only two rapid spinners: Torkoal and Cryogonal. However there are a lot of taunt users available.
  • Scrappy Kangaskan is a viable way to check Spiritomb and Sableye.
  • Pokémon can exist in the NE tier as well as the standard metagame tiers (NU, RU, UU, OU, etc.)
  • No legendary Pokémon can exist in this tier, regardless of Standard Tier Placement.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Despite this being in the Suggestion Box instead of Other Metagames currently, I think I'll approve this, and we'll see how it goes.

EDIT: This in OM, thanks chaos!

• No legendary Pokémon can exist in this tier, regardless of Standard Tier Placement.
This one is a bit weird considering you mention Spiritomb in the rules.

Also, Sableye runs through Kanghaskan by Burning it with Priority WoW, then recovering off any damage it actually does deal.

Still don't understand the no-legendary thing.
I think I got it. It's because Legendaries are generally as good as evolutionary lines, and that will ''break'' what's the metagame is supposed to be, which is having fun with only pokemon that can't evolve, which generally have worse stats than the other pokemons.

played this with a couple of other people. even if you ban things like skarm / heracross / rotom-w, the best pokemon are all basically used in ru anyway so you don't get much variety.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Rotom's formes have good stats too and are almost in the same tier or in a higher tier than most legendaries. At the very least I think legendaries like Entei, Moltres, Articuno etc should be allowed, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)