OU CCAT - Round 7 - Revision

Sorry I am late, but at the time I couldn't type up this post!

It is fairly obvious: Mixed Jirachi wins!

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 152 Atk / 208 SAtk / 148 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Iron Head
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
Round 3 Submissions begin!

Rules / Reminders:
  • Submissions end 3 days from now at 8:00 PM GMT -5.
  • There are no more slashes on Pokemon sets. Different slashes can take a team in different directions.
  • You will be unable to change the submission in anyway after the deadline until the revision rounds. So if there are any suggested changes for your set (moves, EV's, etc.) do it before the submission deadline!
  • Refer back to the OP for the main rules, format, and reminders.
  • When you submit your set, think about how it contributes to the function of the team. Also think about what direction you beleive the team should go, and reflect that in the submitted set.
  • Don't just let submissions be the only contribution to this round!
  • The team is now in the OP. Sets are on the bottom of the OP.

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Right so I believe we have a really solid core here. Jirachi lures in a lot of Landorus-T's counters (Skarmory, Gliscor, Hippowdon) very well, and takes a very nice chunk of their health or out right KO them. I feel that a good addition to this team would be...

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-W! Rotom-W beats basically all of Landorus-T's counters. It can switch into Skarmory, Gliscor, Hippowdon, and water type attacks aimed at Landorus-T. This is a pretty standard set, but that doesn't mean it isn't effective in this metagame. Rotom-W allows us to check top threats, namely Keldeo, Politoed, and Scarf Jirachi. Rotom-W's main switch in's (Lati@s, Celebi, and Kyurem-B) are all "checked" moderately well by Jirachi. So, lets talk through the EVs and move set. 28 SpAtk are used to OHKO Gliscor with Hydro Pump. The rest of the EVs are placed into HP and SpDef, allowing it easily tank special attacks like Jolteon's Volt Switch, Starmie's Thunder, and Politoed's Hydro Pump. Rest allows Rotom-W semi-reliable recovery along with Chesto Berry. Volt Switch is STAB and provide momentum in the form of switch advantage. Hydro Pump is STAB, and hits pretty hard in Rain. Hydro Pump also stops Ground types (bar Gastrodon) from switching into Volt Switch in fear of being hit hard by Hydro Pump. Will-O-Wisp allows Rotom-W to cripple a lot of Rotom-W switch ins, mainly Breloom and Ferrothorn.

Rotom-W is just a solid Pokemon in this Rain infested metagame, and I believe it would be a great addition to this team.

Scotti

we back.
I think this pokemon would be great giving Jirachi and Landorus-T really great synergy. It resists Water, Fire, Dark, and ghost, so i think this pokemon would be really good. Though the set is kinda wierd, but here is the Hydreigon set that i think would help.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 212 Spd / 252 SAtk / 44 Def
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast

Ok first the EV's. I choose the EV's because it gives you a good chance to live a Adamant Breloom Mach Punch and a Timid Scarf Keldeo's Secret Sword, with no Stealth Rocks down. Then you can KO them back, however you will also faint sadly. The speed EV's go down to 212 which allows you to outspeed Max Speed Venusaur under sun during a Tailwind boost and then you can KO it with Fire Blast. Tailwind is the main part of this set allowing Hydreigon to outspeed the things that normally checks it and give a speed boost to the team. It also resists most move that threaten the team so far, and it takes care of Landorus-T and Jirachi counters really easily, since defensive Gliscor and defensive Hippowdon are KOed by Draco Meteor, and Skarmory gets owned by Fire Blast. It also takes care of Ferrothorn, who could have been a nuisance to this team with Fire Blast. It can beat Breloom while taking it self out most of the time making it a very helpful pokemon to this team. Also with support from Jirachi it doesn't have to have Tailwind up since Jirachi can come in on dragon moves, most of the time. Also the fighting weakness won't matter that much since we have Landorus-T who resist fighting moves. This is all i have lol, i think it can be a great help to this team.

Last edited:

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion

Kyurem (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 56 Atk / 208 SAtk / 244 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Alright, at this point we need something that can handle water types like Starmie and Rotom-W well, as they are currently the biggest threats to the team. I don't really like Celebi too much here, and although it does mean Rotom-W doesn't get to WoW cripple, I feel that it is a pretty solid option and a great partner for Landorus-T to have. Kyurem-B gives us a solid check to Starmie thanks to its great bulk, and because of that I feel it is a great option to be placed on the team. Although I do feel that you could place other things on the team at the moment (Normal Gem DD Gyarados actually sounds pretty cool), I think overall this is one of the best wallbreakers and partners to Landorus-T right now. Not only does this also help break up stall earlier, but it paves a way for Landorus-T to sweep with ease. This set is probably Kyurem-B's best right now, and although Choice Band is really cool, I feel this is probably the best wallbreaker in the metagame right now as it absolutely tears up most teams nowadays. Of course other Dragons could fit here, but I just don't feel any of them really break down stall as well as Kyurem-B does right now, and none of them can beat Starmie confidently either.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

I think that this Starmie is a decent option for this team. Starmie prevent any hazard on our team and kills luring Ferrothorn (which walls 100% this jirachi and with leech seed is annoying for landorus-t) and Abomasnow one of the best checks of Land-t doble boost, also can kill some annoying threats on early such Scizor which beats Jirachi or can kill Landorus-T when is weak. I know that Hidden Power Fire is less effective against some threats like Jelli (Thunderbolt), Keldeo / Tenta (Psyshock) or Dragonite / Lati@s (Ice Beam) but is a good utility mon, check hail teams and rain, and preventing hazards on the field, we have another 3 slots to fixed the rest of the things and with a spinner support will be easier :]

btw, for now my favourite is Rotom-W

Garchomp(M) @ Life Orb / Focus sash
Trait: Rough skin
EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive / Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

With the offensive oriented mood of the team, I think Garchomp could do great, i'm a bit confuse about which set to use, but if the team finish as a Rain team, the SD+Aqua tail Garchomp will be the better way to go imo. This set is helpful because it's a second lure to Skarmory which is always a nice thing to have, (I see a lot more people switching on Garchomp than using Skarm against Jirachi because the Tbolt / Thunder is still used ) a good lead for the team and a pretty nice wallbreaker in the midgame. As a DDLandorus-T lover, I really can't play it without a dragon pokemon (Chomp / CBnite comes to mind) to weaken steel pokemon such as Ferrothorn or Skarmory who othervise could compromise a Lando sweep. You can slash swords dance other Fire Blast for his ability to hit better things like Hippowdon, or as I said before, use the SD+Aqua Tail version under the Rain who is a brilliant wallbreaker that share the same counter as our friend Landorus.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

I think that this Starmie is a decent option for this team. Starmie prevent any hazard on our team and kills luring Ferrothorn (which walls 100% this jirachi and with leech seed is annoying for landorus-t) and Abomasnow one of the best checks of Land-t doble boost, also can kill some annoying threats on early such Scizor which beats Jirachi or can kill Landorus-T when is weak. I know that Hidden Power Fire is less effective against some threats like Jelli (Thunderbolt), Keldeo / Tenta (Psyshock) or Dragonite / Lati@s (Ice Beam) but is a good utility mon, check hail teams and rain, and preventing hazards on the field, we have another 3 slots to fixed the rest of the things and with a spinner support will be easier :]

btw, for now my favourite is Rotom-W
I would ditch recover on here, and (dont have time to do calcs) consider ebelt if it secures kos. Psyshock and ice beam are just too good to pass up

AAB (Annoying Ass Breloom)
Breloom @Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed
- Spore
- Substitute

Yes Subseed Breloom, if you don't like it, then I suggest you get out right now. Well then again, if you're facing one, I guess it can get frustrating, seeing as this set has a lot of support going for it: healing from Leech Seed, Status Absorbing, healing from Status, Sleep move, Substitute, and a stab that gives even more healing! It's moves are fairly self-explanatory: Leech Seed and Substitute for the whole subseed business, not to mention that together with Toxic Orb, Breloom is capable of producing Substitutes without any costs: as Leech Seed and Toxic Orb give back 25% of it's health. Spore is also a fairly normal choice: I mean, it's bloody Breloom: playing Breloom without Spore is like eating Toast without some tasty Butter & Jam combo: you're doing it wrong and should feel ashamed.
The only thing that's different from the normal site-set is Drain Punch over Focus Punch. Whilst Focus Punch is indeed incredibly powerful as a move, I always felt that the semi-negative priority and the reliance on substitute/incredible prediction works against me: so I eventually replaced it on my own team with Drain Punch: giving additional healing, a good Stab option and being somewhat more reliable than Focus Punch. Along with the incredible healing from Toxic Orb + Leech Seed and Drain Punch, Breloom just won't die all too ofton (especially on the ladder), and I found that Breloom is far bulkier with that additional healing that his stats give way.
Additional mindgames can be played if you want: the most common set that Breloom uses is the Technican SD set (with good reason..), as predictable as it is. This set can make incredible use of predictable SD set, because if you play the ladder, it's quite obvious that SDloom will use Spore at the first chance it gets. However this set doesn't need to do so, as it has the bulk and utility to take care of whatever switch in: whether it is sleep fodder or a counter like Latios. As such being able to save it's sleep move for a truely threatening pokémon: like reuniclus, or KyuB.
Of course, getting past it's own counters won't be happening anytime soon however: which is sad. But it does provide a far less used part of Loom's small arsenal of moves. Yet most physical attackers will be left in the dust against li'l ol' loom thanks to it's amazing healing potential. And is no real set-up fodder against any physical pokémon that attempts to set-up against it once Loom used it's spore against something else. It's biggest flaw, other than being cannon fodder against it's usual counters (unless it switches or is behind a substitute) is that it's slow in a meta that favors even more speed. Despite this, it's slowness can work in it's favors at times, much like gastrodon.
Disclaimer: don't quote me on whether it's slowness hinders it not so much, I've used it on the same as my 'divide et imperia' Liepard and TR reuniclus, so speed wasn't an issue.

At this point I really like the offensive direction the team is taking. At this point in the teambuilding, I think we need some sort of defensive backbone for the team, especially against rain boosted water attacks. So far, I am liking PDC's Kyurem-B the most because it gives us a solid option against most users of water moves while still being offensive. Rotom-W has solid synergy with Jirachi and it gives us something to switch in on to annoying scald users. That said, I would suggest to anyone thinking about submitting to consider how your submission fairs against rain, paticularly rain offense.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Right so I believe we have a really solid core here. Jirachi lures in a lot of Landorus-T's counters (Skarmory, Gliscor, Hippowdon) very well, and takes a very nice chunk of their health or out right KO them. I feel that a good addition to this team would be...

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-W! Rotom-W beats basically all of Landorus-T's counters. It can switch into Skarmory, Gliscor, Hippowdon, and water type attacks aimed at Landorus-T. This is a pretty standard set, but that doesn't mean it isn't effective in this metagame. Rotom-W allows us to check top threats, namely Keldeo, Politoed, and Scarf Jirachi. Rotom-W's main switch in's (Lati@s, Celebi, and Kyurem-B) are all "checked" moderately well by Jirachi. So, lets talk through the EVs and move set. 28 SpAtk are used to OHKO Gliscor with Hydro Pump. The rest of the EVs are placed into HP and SpDef, allowing it easily tank special attacks like Jolteon's Volt Switch, Starmie's Thunder, and Politoed's Hydro Pump. Rest allows Rotom-W semi-reliable recovery along with Chesto Berry. Volt Switch is STAB and provide momentum in the form of switch advantage. Hydro Pump is STAB, and hits pretty hard in Rain. Hydro Pump also stops Ground types (bar Gastrodon) from switching into Volt Switch in fear of being hit hard by Hydro Pump. Will-O-Wisp allows Rotom-W to cripple a lot of Rotom-W switch ins, mainly Breloom and Ferrothorn.

Rotom-W is just a solid Pokemon in this Rain infested metagame, and I believe it would be a great addition to this team.
Seconding SDef Rotom-W as a solid submission.

I'll stress on the 2 main reasons for this being the desired pick.

• Top notch synergy with Jirachi and Lando-T, which is otherwise prone to FWG cores. Especially since we aren't using a Defensive variant of Rachi.
  • A very good check against Rainspam, since the team as it is lacks a decent water resist. Compliments Offensive Rachi, providing key momentum.
  • Pivot, opening up all kinds of possibility like a potential volt-turn core, a defensive core w/ Celebi, a nice off-beat sand offense formation, etc etc etc.

This is the most versatile and varied pick we can make at this point.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Well, if we don't want water attacks, why not Jellicent?
The main reason I'm thinking Jellicent over Rotom-W is because with a double dancer like Landorus-T we're going to want to keep hazards on the field at all costs, and Jellicent gives us a very solid spinblocker who also is good at taking attacks and spamming status in Toxic

This set is just taken off of one of my balanced teams, if we think Starmie or something is a bigger concern we can also change around Ice Beam for something else like Shadow Ball or Taunt
And then theres also the obligatory "Speed creep Tyranitar with WoW!" argument so I realize this isn't perfect I'm just lazy and hope someone else will come up with a better spread/moveset

SmashPass Gorebyss @ White Herb
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SDef / 232 Spd
Calm Nature
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass
- Surf
- Substitute

Hey y'all, Scarlequin the Immortal God here, and this is my excellent suggestion for the CCAT. I believe SmashPass Gorebyss would be a great fit for the existing team, for many reasons. An obvious asset (not the main reason for inclusion, since bulkier Pokemon like Jellicent would be better for that) is resisting the only two weaknesses of our main sweeper (Landorus-T) - Water and Ice, and being immune to Status against the omnipresent Rain teams on the ladder due to Hydration. Commonly seen OU Pokemon Gorebyss can easily SmashPass against include Tentacruel, Jellicent, Heatran etc. and many others due to its respectable natural bulk. The boosts convert Jirachi from a mixed lure into a potent mixed sweeper and give Landorus-T a RP and SD boost all in one, against opposing Pokemon it couldnt normally set up against. Whats excellent is opponents will rarely use a Water or Ice type move against Gorebyss due to its resistance to them, so you can SmashPass to Landorus with near assurance that it wont be hit by a Super Effective move. Gorebyss' only weaknesses to Grass and Electric, Jirachi and Landorus-T respectively are resistant and immune to, so predicting these type attacks give you easy SmashPass opportunities into them. Landorus-T's natural bulk along with Intimidate and Jirachi's solid bulk, along with their myriad of resistances, helps the process.

Gorebyss also resists one of Jirachi's two weaknesses - Fire, and with Landorus-T being immune to the other - Ground, the three combined actually form quite a solid defensive core, despite the emphasis being on offense.
In terms of the moveset, Shell Smash and Baton Pass are a given, Surf is strong STAB and to prevent Gorebyss being Taunt bait and also KOing potential phazers including Heatran, Hippowdon, Skarmory etc. Substitute is to prevent status and to keep a sub intact against resisted hits, to aid in Baton/Smash Passing.
As for the EV spread, its the possibly outdated onsite one, so if anybody has a more efficient EV spread, please do make it known, because Im open to changing it. Possibly a more offensive Gorebyss with Shell Smash, Baton Pass, Surf and Ice Beam, Im not sure?
As for those who say SmashPassing is a cheap strategy, they are only mad because they are pathetic worthless mortal scrub pussyass noob ragequitters who cant handle the strategy and are crying over the fact that their pathetic team is being cremated in eternal searing hellfire by the superior team.

Thank you for reading my submission, cowardly subserviant slaves, bow down before the might of The Immortal God Scarlequin and I would appreciate your votes
~ScarlequinTheImmortalGod

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Dat bold.

I get that Gorebyss does what it is supposed to do really well, but I don't want our team to go the SmashPass route. Say what you will, but I just find SmashPass teams to be extremely boring and very matchup reliant (your opponents either have a way to deal with it, so they win, or they don't so you win). I just don't think any of us want to make a team like that.

@ Halcyon of Light, youre entitled to your personal opinion but please dont discourage others from voting for Gorebyss by speaking on behalf of everyone - "dont think any of us..". The entire team wouldnt be reliant on SmashPass, youre missing the point, both the mixed Jirachi and Double Dance Landorus-T can function perfectly well without the boosts, just almost every opponent's team has something you can set up on, and there really arent many ways to deal with SmashPass, (I mean of course there's Taunt and Roar etc. but you wouldnt setup on a Pokemon that potentially has those moves) for example:

Scenario 1: You use Shell Smash against your opponents Tentacruel/Heatran/Jellicent/Keldeo etc. as they switch out into a Pokemon with Taunt, Roar, Whirlwind or Perish Song, knowing youre going to set up (if they even have one)
Next turn, you can either Baton Pass the boosts to Jirachi or Landorus-T depending on the predicted attacking move, most Pokemon with Roar/Whirlwind in OU, Gorebyss can actually defeat with a +2 Surf ie. Heatran, Skarmory, Hippowdon etc., Taunt is useless because at +2 youll be faster than any opposing Taunt user, and Perish Song from Politoed does admittedly prevent you sweeping but you can still get a KO off within the 3 turns and it doesnt really get your opponent anywhere.
Even without the boosts Drypassing or passing a sub can be valuable momentum, but they are an excellent asset

blitzlefan

shake it off!
To be honest, SmashPass just isn't the kind of strategy I want to see in a project like this. It's fairly boring and just doesn't bring all that much to this project. We know what SmashPass does, and as mentioned earlier, if the opponent can deal with it, Gorebyss isn't helpful, while if they can't, you win. It's just not all that interesting. Also, SmashPass indeed is pretty cheap. If you want to call me a "pathetic worthless mortal scrub pussyass noob ragequitter blah blah blah..." then whatever. Also, why don't you just go with Smeargle? Spore is basically equivalent to a KO and Magic Coat prevents Taunt from shutting you down.

Slight edit to your initial post. I don't think your current Gorebyss set can set up on Vaporeon, as the combination of Water Absorb + Roar renders it useless.

<----- ~You know who I am because my name is right here

Smashpass's whole use is in it's name: you smash and you (baton) pass, simple as that. With a mono-attack and substitute it's not meant to do antyhing other than baton pass such a boost to one if it's allies, but what if an opposing vaporeon uses roar, an opposing toxiccroak set's up on you or you get taunted? Have fun with that. Smashpass has never been unpredictable, nor will it ever be to be honest..

@ Halcyon of Light, youre entitled to your personal opinion but please dont discourage others from voting for Gorebyss by speaking on behalf of everyone - "dont think any of us..".

I agree that saying that 'everyone' thinks something is a bad way of giving one's opinion (though I do it too, it's just something we say when we find something obvious, you've done it yourself too I bet, AMDIT IT).

The entire team wouldnt be reliant on SmashPass, youre missing the point,

What point : <?

both the mixed Jirachi and Double Dance Landorus-T can function perfectly well without the boosts,

Then why use smashpass? Mono-attack leaves so much weakness, it's obviously used to support an offensive mon..

just almost every opponent's team has something you can set up on,

What exactly means 'almost'?

and there really arent many ways to deal with SmashPass, (I mean of course there's Taunt and Roar etc. but you wouldnt setup on a Pokemon that potentially has those moves)

1) Attacking a gorebyss seems like something obvious, unless it's only attack is a mono-water or something..
2) Taunt, whirlwind, dragon tail if it doesn't have sub, scarf. Enough ways to work around it tbh.
3) What pokémon can Gorebyss set up on that a) doesn't have roar/taunt/phazing move b) does not at least have a neutral attack that deals 25%-ish damage? and c) can't set-up against it as well

for example:

Scenario 1: You use Shell Smash against your opponents Tentacruel/Heatran/Jellicent/Keldeo etc. as they switch out into a Pokemon with Taunt, Roar, Whirlwind or Perish Song, knowing youre going to set up (if they even have one)

Keldeo's hydro-pump deals at least 35% if it's scarf, without rain, secret sword almost 2HKO's: again scarf. Only HP-Ice/Icy Wind deal pitiful damage, even the other HPs deal more than 25% on the scarf set. Note: Scarf is technically the weakest offensively of all it's sets. Unless it runs waterfall/return/aquajet/megahorn...
Heatran shouldn't be in against Gorebyss, but offensive sets' Fire Blast and Earth Power deal good enough damage and some sets carry roar...
Tentacruel again, is set-up bait against quite a bit of things as long as they have recovery/don't care about burn/are resistant against scald, as is Jellicent generally speaking.
Perish Song goes through baton pass, NITPICKING

Next turn, you can either Baton Pass the boosts to Jirachi or Landorus-T depending on the predicted attacking move,

So, where is the part where Gorebyss's use is not being entirely excluded to setting up for Jirachi or Lando-T?

most Pokemon with Roar/Whirlwind in OU, Gorebyss can actually defeat with a +2 Surf ie. Heatran, Skarmory, Hippowdon etc.,

You're using pokémon that are obviously weak to a +2 surf (and skarmory) to elaborate it's strengths? I'm sorry, but Politoed can do the same without the real boost, as can Rotom-W, and most other offensive-water types..

Taunt is useless because at +2 youll be faster than any opposing Taunt user,

All Prankster users (except Riolu, but fuck that guy) wave with cute little flags around you, the flags say "We exist! We exist! Believe in us! We exist!"

and Perish Song from Politoed does admittedly prevent you doing anything but you can still get a KO off within the 3 turns almost anything can kill politoed in three turns and it doesnt really get your opponent anywhere. It stopped Gorebyss's only use?

Even without the boosts Drypassing or passing a sub can be valuable momentum, but they are an excellent asset

Drypassing is the same as using U-turn or using BP on Celebi, why does Gorebyss does it better : <? What is an excellent asset, it's ability to use Baton Pass, no shit man (no offense, but I like to be blunt)

-Zandgaiaaka, the one and only truely handsome bastard of a man who many in the world has accepted as their one and only savior and messiah.

SmashPass is cheap, Ive never denied that, and it is predictable I know that, Im actually an immortal almighty pro player who has formerly topped the OU ladder, not a useless scrub (I realise writing Vaporeon made me look like that, it was a mistake, edited now) , its predictable and cheap yes, but undeniably effective and the only reason people rage over it so much is because they are furious that it is about to destroy their pathetic team. By all means disagree with the suggestion y'all , but please dont mock or question me as a player because I am highly skilful and the Immortal Almighty God Scarlequin, cower beneath my might pathetic worthless slave wh*** scrub ass bitches.
(Also you say its predictable, which is true, but so far youve come up with only TWO solutions to prevent the SmashPassing - Taunt Toxicroak and Roar Vaporeon, neither of which are ultra common in OU, nearing the bottom of the usage statistics for OU pokemon, and they have to have those specific moves, which not all of them will, plus I did mention Ice Beam over Surf as an option, for Grass Types and Dragons, which would also prevent Toxicroak setting up on you (you would have achieved the +2 +2 +2 against something else before the opponent switched Toxicroak in.) Roar Vaporeon whilst preventing your SmashPass doesnt get the opponent anywhere either. Perhaps the more offensive set I mentioned with Ice Beam Surf Baton Pass and Shell Smash would be more to you guys' preference but please dont be nasty about the suggestion because it took a lot of time and thought and it upsets me

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
SmashPass is cheap, Ive never denied that, and it is predictable I know that, Im actually an immortal almighty pro player who has formerly topped the OU ladder, not a useless scrub (I realise writing Vaporeon made me look like that, it was a mistake, edited now) , its predictable and cheap yes, but undeniably effective and the only reason people rage over it so much is because they are furious that it is about to destroy their pathetic team. By all means disagree with the suggestion y'all , but please dont mock or question me as a player because I am highly skilful and the Immortal Almighty God Scarlequin, cower beneath my might pathetic worthless slave wh*** scrub ass bitches.
(Also you say its predictable, which is true, but so far youve come up with only TWO solutions to prevent the SmashPassing - Taunt Toxicroak and Roar Vaporeon, neither of which are ultra common in OU, nearing the bottom of the usage statistics for OU pokemon, and they have to have those specific moves, which not all of them will, plus I did mention Ice Beam over Surf as an option, for Grass Types and Dragons, which would also prevent Toxicroak setting up on you (you would have achieved the +2 +2 +2 against something else before the opponent switched Toxicroak in.) Roar Vaporeon whilst preventing your SmashPass doesnt get the opponent anywhere either. Perhaps the more offensive set I mentioned with Ice Beam Surf Baton Pass and Shell Smash would be more to you guys' preference but please dont be nasty about the suggestion because it took a lot of time and thought and it upsets me
Lololololol. Implying topping the ladder makes you good. That sentence alone shows you don't know much ;-; I'm smelling a troll

it is predictable I know that,

Perhaps the more offensive set I mentioned with Ice Beam Surf Baton Pass and Shell Smash would be more to you guys' preference but please dont be nasty about the suggestion because it took a lot of time and thought and it upsets me
There we go, this is the only useful part of your post and you know it. You've just skimmed what we (and most importantly me, since you attempt to reply to that) have posted. Alternative options are a no-no now, taunt toxicroak doesn't exist either, and roar is the standard on quite a lot of vaporeon because it would be set-up bait otherwise.

Time and thought? Want to see what a bloody long post was which didn't get voted in?

Divide et impera
Liepard @ Lagging Tail
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Trick
- Taunt/T-wave
- Yawn

Yes the joke of the coffee-corner of NU: Liepard. It has some potential that is, I feel, unused: Prankster is along with Multiscale, Magic Bounce and some other abilities one of the undeniably bestabilities in Pokémon. This makes use of it's ability to it's fulliest without it becoming a burden:
Trick coupled with a crippling item like a specs, band or Lagging Tail is an incredible combo that can easily cripple an opposing pokémon. For example: it can easily trick a tail unto a terrakion whilst it's setting up an 'easy SR' or is killing shit, or trick said tail on Keldeo for similiar effect. Whilst there are a fair amount of crippling items that can be tricked: Lagging Tail is the better all-around choice in the offensive metagame that favors power and speed without any real down-sides to Liepard, as Prankster ignores Lagging Tail's effect, save for such specific situations that they might as well be ignored because you made a massive mistake in that case. Along with that, tricking a Lagging Tail will 999999/1000000 give you an advantage: the holder of Lagging Tail will always move last, unless they have a priority move or prankster themselves. A threatening sweeper like Volcarona, Keldeo, Breloom or Terrakion are far less scary once they have lost their favorable item and have it get replaced by the Lagging Tail of imment doom, as it will make your pokémon always faster, even Ferrothorn will be faster than them. Meanwhile a bulky attacker like Kyurem suddenly loses it's Roost-Sub combo if it relies on being faster than it's opponent, not to mention the loss of Lefties, which will hurt their survivability. Additional fun with this set can be extracted by tricking a lagging tail on a choice user, switch out, then proceed to later trick it on a pokémon that will far from benefit from it: like Ferrothorn.
In the Third Slot, I can't make a real decision: either Taunt or T-wave, both have incredible uses but it will depend on what the team will need. Taunt can be used to stop defensive tanks/stallers and set-uppers from doing their thing, most importantly IMO being Gengar and Kyurem who suddenly lose their uses whilst taunted. Meanwhile T-wave is an incredible move that lowers the speed of an opposing pokémon, much like lagging tail, giving you a semi-revenge option, unless the opponent has a ground type or lum berry. Prankster T-wave can easily break a sweep, no matter how bad (to an extend).
T-wave meanwhile provides a semi-revenge option against anything powerful that lacks a ground typing or has a lum berry: after a kill against one of your pokémon you can quite easily switch in Liepard and either Trick (if you haven't already) it's Heavy Tail against it, or T-wave it to massively reduce it's sweeping potential. T-wave can also be used as a double-status set for Liepard.
Then there's the last slot: go for Yawn, Yawn provides another semi-revenge annoying move to aid your team: it forces the opponent to sleep or forces them to switch out to negate it, potentially putting you in a better position, allowing you to yawn again, status or trick them: but you can also use U-turn if you don't know for sure whether they'll switch or if you want to advantage in a double-switch. Yawn pretty much acts as an indirect roar, Which will be incredible helpful to you. Whether you use it the first turn of the entire battle, as a breather move against the opponent, as a way to stop the opponent from setting up or as a semi-revenge tool. Yawn has incredible potential if coupled by a prankster user: allowing to act as an indirection roar or whirlwind, except that it has priority, puts the opponent to sleep if it doesn't switch, let's the opponent choose a switch, and can't be used if another pokémon is already at sleep: ok it's not all that much alike to the likes of roar, but the idea is the same.
U-turn is there just because Liepard needs at least some form of damage and because it is a reliable way to switch out in case you expect an incoming switch for a favorable match-up. Though Liepard is slower than some notable threats, if the opponent has the almighty Lagging Tail or has been Paralyzed it's easy to use it. Not to mention that base 106 may not be the fastest thing on the planet, it'll still be in the top 50 of the OU Marathon.
EV's other than speed honestly don't matter that much: Liepard is too weak to be a threat offensively and it's defenses leave a lot to be desired, but simply can't be remedied with defensive EV's with some quick calcs that I ran. If somebody manages to get a build that avoids a single KO's, then please do share it.
The biggest problem with Liepard, other than not being a major offensive or defensive threat, is that it is affected by all types of hazards and does not have a lot of switch-in options: it'll either have to wait for an incoming psychic attack, a double switch or a free switch through the death of one of your own pokémon.
However Liepard provides incredible support to the team and doesn't ask for much in return: because it simply can not be supported, unless you count Stealth Rock as massive support, or support at all. Liepard is a text-book example of a high-risk, high-reward annoyer without relying on hax. It's biggest boon is the ability to cripple an opposing threat (or two) by using a little bit of smart play, not too much as otherwise you probably would not understand it and it would be deemed 'too weak'. And is one of the few Pokémon that can even stop a +6/+6 threat from damaging your ranks even more, if you're willing to sacrifice Liepard that is.
Sacrifice and utility are keywords to this Liepard set, due to Liepard's frailness, do not expect it to survive a lot, or anything really. It's paper-thin defenses are worse than Sableye, which at least has three immunities and recover to help it. But it's support/cripple movepool is somewhat better than Sableye's thanks to not having to act as a wall and having acces to U-Turn. T-wave and Yawn.
This set can be used on both Defensive and Offensive teams to provide a 'plan B' in case you get swept, but it's best use is simply being capable of crippling opposing pokémon in such a way that they won't be considered a threat anymore: even if Liepard has to sacrifice itself to do so.
What I am interested in seeing is what can be done with it in the hands of better (or just, you know, skilled) players, and what an opponent could possibly do against it, both in battle and in teambuilding. Magic Bounce seems obvious, but is it really? Xatu is limited in it's possibilities and Espeon is U-Turn weak and still suspectible to Trick if I recall correctly. This set focuses on using an obvious niche set and how an 'opponent', can prepare for something like it if it knows beforehand that it can AT LEAST cripple one opposing pokémon in some way. For an added bonus: it can be seen as an experiment for High-Risk High-Reward without going the obvious sweeper route and how a true-support, whether it's for an offensive or defensive team, can work in today's metagame.

Edit: changed some of the text to reflect having less slashed moves, but I honestly can't choose for the third slot as both have uses and depend more on the preference of the team/the people
Do I find that sad? Yes, should I feel offended about it? Heck no. This is a discussion (a rather average one at best right now to be honest) about choosing members to a succesful team: a succesful team both in theory and practice, that (I assume) makes the player rely on skillful plays without being obviously weak to standard match-ups.

Please put some more thought into posts, as trash-talking, cursing and feelings won't get you anywhere.

Edit; also the ladder is prone to be very luck-based and one can easily use flaws in it's system to his/her advantage. Heck I've never reached a ladder peack of 100 or above, unless you count a ladder of DPP NU where there were only 4 other people on said ladder >.>; I still find that I play well enough to be called 'average' and have played some very good matches in the few months that I've come back: tournament plays yes, but that has nothing to do with the ladder. Also there's good people who don't give a dang about the ladder and are still good and respectable (ok, maybe ignore the last part :D) members 'round here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)