Round 73-75 Tutee Tournament - Finals [Won by Enguarde]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to the signup thread of the tutoring tournaments for Battling 101! Here, all tutees who signed up for rounds 73, 74, and 75 and were tutored by someone are eligible to sign up to play. Due to time constraints, only the first 16 people who indicate interest in the Apprentice Program signup thread will be allowed to participate. If we get more, however, I will consider increasing the number of participants. Also, please note that this is a BW OU tournament. Simply post your profile as you did when you signed up to get tutored (we will be checking everyone's post to make sure that they were in fact tutored during rounds 73, 74, and 75). For reference:

Username:
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:
What tier do you want to learn?:
Tell us a little about yourself: Please familiarize yourself with the rules below that are specific to Tutoring Tournaments. They can be found on-site here, but I will list them below for your convenience.
  1. Battles will be 6 on 6 (BW OU) played on the Showdown simulator.
  2. Tournament rounds will last a maximum of 1 week. No extensions will be granted. It is up to the discretion of the tournament administrator to determine who will advance in the event of an incomplete match.
  3. Pokemon that are considered "Uber" are banned from use on all teams. Smogon's tier list is supreme. Smogon's ban list can be found here.
The following clauses must be enabled for all Tutoring Tournament matches.
  • Timed Battle: Select this clause when challenging for all Smogon Tour matches. This is necessary in the interest of finishing the tournament in a speedy manner.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same Pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffings on his or her team.
  • Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokémon.
  • Evasion Clause: A player cannot increase their Pokémon's evasion stat with a move that specifically increases evasion. Items or indirect boosts do not break this clause.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use moves that have a chance of instantly KO opposing Pokémon. For example, Horn Drill is an illegal move to have on a Pokémon's move set.
  • Wifi Clause: Team Preview must be enabled for all BW games.

Signups (13)

Round 1

Hulavuta vs Metal Sonic
nykro vs Santuga
North vs DHR-107
Schoom vs asbdsp
Fabulous but lazy vs Sapienta
Laurel vs Bye
Houndoomsday Bye
Enguarde vs Bye

Round 2

Laurel vs Enguarde
Hulavuta vs asbdsp
Fabulous but lazy vs Houndoomsday
Santuga vs North

Semi Finals

Fabulous but lazy vs Enguarde
Santuga vs asbdsp

Finals

Enguarde vs Santuga

Deadline: September 22nd, 12:00 PM EST.

Last edited:
Username: Houndoomsday
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Houndoomsday
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 6:00 PM-11:30 PM GMT-4, but as soon as school lets out (June 14th), I basically can do 9:00 AM- 11:30 PM GMT-4.
What tier do you want to learn?: BW2 OU is obviously a big tier I want to focus on, but ADV OU would also be neat. One of the things I really want to focus on isTeam Building in general.
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a decent battler at the BW2 OU casual level (think around 65% win rate on Showdown using borrowed teams from RMT), and especially given a potent team I can hold my own- however I have trouble constructing teams and picking up other tiers, both of which I feel could be solved with a focus on team building. However I easily can improve my battling skills.

On a more personal level I have always been a fan of pokemon- in the last year or so I have begun to dive into competitive battling but improved my activity around March when I signed up for Smogon. I also have been running local tournaments in my school (it's full of nerds!:happybrain:) and would like to be able to give better advice to many of the participants in those tournaments, which I don't really feel qualified to give. This is also why my participation in Competitive forums has been limited thus far- a lack of confidence in my knowledge of many common metagames.

Overall what I hope to get from tutoring is less focused on the micro level of battles (specific predictions and choices) though that would benefit me greatly. Instead I want a great macro sense of OU and other teams. This would aid me in discussion of metagame, as well as strong teambuilding.

Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Certainly!

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Username: Sapientia
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Sapientia
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+1, right now holydays so any time is fine for me
What tier do you want to learn?: BW2 OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I played in the ADV and DPP era and suck in BW, so I need to learn it.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Sure

Username: Laurel / Pkftmfw
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Pkftmfw
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -4 (EST) Usually available 11 AM - 11 PM
What tier do you want to learn?: ADV OU. I have been trying to learn for a while, because I want to know all the tour tiers, but not many people have free time or are willing to teach. I also am beyond terrible at it... :(
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm Laurel, I've played pokemon since 2007. I live in US East, my mother is Belgian, my father is Russian etc etc. I like to play tennis, and I like watching sports. My favorite teams are any teams from New England, and the Houston Astros... because I never have high expectations with them.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Okay, sure.

Username: asbdsp
Pokemon Showdown Username: asbdsp
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 11 PM - 4 AM EST, but flexible to make appointments via PM
Tell us a little about yourself: Trying to make the jump from a PS OU battler to Legendary Status. Need to learn about higher level battling decision making, advanced team building, and forum integration. I'm a boisterous guy, and I want to learn whatever I can to try and win games.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes, sounds like fun.

Why should I be tutored: I'd like to learn more about this game and become as good as I possibly can in addition to integrating myself more readily into the smogon community. I've got what it takes, and I'm the kind of guy who gets things done when i want to, if you know what I mean. So yeah, that's why I should be tutored. Any tutor that chooses me will not be disappointed.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Username: Metal Sonic
Pokemon Online/IRC:Metal Sonic
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:GMT+8, 9 am to 10 pm (variable; holiday special timings)
What tier do you want to learn?:BW2 Ubers, BW2 OU, ADV OU
Tell us a little about yourself:I am a powerful BW2 UU player, I love Sonic the Hedgehog series, I love Sonic the Hedgehog music, and I have been hanging around in Smogon Forums for quite a while. I hope that a tutor can be assigned to me with the most suitable timezone, as I see that there are few tutors in Battling 101 that cater to the South East Asian time zone. I am a proficient battler so it would not take too much time to get me up to scratch on the relevant metagame :)

It's the vacation next month so I can be a lot more flexible with timezones this round.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?:Of course!

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Username: Enguarde
Showdown Username: Enguarde
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 7:00 p.m. – 1 a.m weeknights and randomly on weekends, GMT +10
Tell us a little about yourself: Currently living in Melbourne Australia studying Medical Imaging, have been playing competitive pokemon for over a year now dabbling in all of the fifth gen tiers, I lost interest in OU for a while but have been getting back into it again in the past month and would love to be decent at it by the time WCOP comes around.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely.

I was tutored round 73

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Username: DHR-107
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: DHR (PS!)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT (BST) 6pm~11pm Weekdays, pretty much any time on weekends unless I am out (Am available on IRC pretty much all day every day).
Tell us a little about yourself: I hate these things. I've been around and about in terms of Battling since Gen 3 on netbattle... Mostly just for fun but some random laddering now and again. I've kept myself semi in the loop of competitive terms (I was playing PO LU at the start of BW1) and I have played in the CaP Playtests (Which are centered around OU play). In terms of personal stuff, I love motor sport and play videogames with most of my free time :) Mass Effect ftw :p
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes. I would not have a problem with this.

I was tutored Round 73.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Username: Hulavuta
Pokemon Showdown Username: Hulavuta
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST 10:30 AM - 12:00 AM on Weekdays. 10:30 AM to 5:30 PM on Saturdays and 2:00 PM to 12:00 AM on Sundays. At the moment, I am really busy finishing up school, but after the 5th I will be very free. I stay up very late so time zone isn't too much of an issue.
Tell us a little about yourself: Almost 17 years old Asian-American living in Florida. My hobbies (aside from playing children's games) are mostly writing, playing saxophone, watching movies/tv/anime and chatting online.
Although I am not really "new" to Smogon, I haven't done much to contribute to the community. I really want to though; I love Smogon, and Pokemon in general! I have recently gone through the Smogon Mentorship program so I suppose this is the next step to take. I really want to learn and I think that I have the proper attitude and respect when it comes to being taught, so I don't think you'll be disappointed!
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Ya

Trinitrotoluene has agreed to tutor me

I was tutored in round 74.

Username: North

Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/: Blizz' (PO) / brizz (PS!)

Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+1. I'm available pretty much all the time, so I think I'll be able to modify my hours of availability according to my tutor's preferences.

Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing this game for looong time, but I've never been that good, so I'd like to improve with the help of a good player. Also, I've never been posting on this forum much, so I think that joining this project would be a good chance to integrate :)

Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: sure

Delko has agreed to tutor me

I was tutored round 75

Username: Schoom
Pokemon Online Username: Schoom
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: PST 5pm-11pm
What tier do you want to learn?: BW OU, DPP OU and UU
Tell us a little about yourself: I really enjoy playing Pokemon with other people because I have been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue. I like to go to the beach and play basketball and volleyball. I am new to Smogon and respect all the Mentors of the game.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes.

I was tutored in round 75 by The Great and Mighty Doom

Username: Nykro
Pokemon Online Username: Nikro
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: CST 5pm-11pm
What tier do you want to learn?: BW OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm John. I have played pokemon forever. I am a temporal being that enjoys the smell of rich mahogany.

I was tutored round 74 by Princess Bri (now Dice)

Limitless

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Five more slots are open. I'd really like this to start before the weekend ends. If not, I may just make it an eight man tournament.

Username: Fabulous but lazy
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: FBL
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -6, 11 pm-1am
Tell us a little about yourself: I like rock, metal music :D
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes

I was tutored in round 75 by Jirachi.

TheSpecialOne

formerly Santuga
Username: Santuga
Pokemon Online / Showdown Username: Deplory, Gillette
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT, it doesn't have good consistency. I have to schedule an hour with my opponent to ease stuff out
Tell us a little about yourself: LGI!

By the way, is Landorus-I available in the early rounds? Some people have been tutored while it was around

Last edited:

Limitless

Round 1

Hulavuta vs Metal Sonic
nykro vs Santuga
North vs DHR-107
Schoom vs asbdsp
Fabulous but lazy vs Sapienta
Laurel vs Bye
Houndoomsday Bye
Enguarde vs Bye

Deadline: September 1st, 12:00 PM EST.

TheSpecialOne

formerly Santuga
I might have a bit of trouble making the battle in the deadline that was defined due to the difference in timezones plus me not being able to go online as often as I would like. Is it possible for me and my opponent to have the battle in the 2nd or maybe 3rd? That is if we can't meet up before that time

Limitless

I might have a bit of trouble making the battle in the deadline that was defined due to the difference in timezones plus me not being able to go online as often as I would like. Is it possible for me and my opponent to have the battle in the 2nd or maybe 3rd? That is if we can't meet up before that time
The deadline is more than fair. It will most likely be a hard deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)