Voile, the Magic Library (Touhou Discussion Thread)

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Not having a silly hat or hair decoration is a serious crime! Anyways, discuss Touhou here, because I know there are people who like it here...

Anyways, for those of you who don't know what the heck Touhou is, let me explain it to you in a single sentence. Touhou is a Japanese shoot-em-up (shmup) game where you control a shrine maiden, a witch, or a few other characters on their quest to solve incidents in the world of Gensokyo.

For more information about the characters or games in general, check here for the wiki.

The scoreboard can be found here, and most other replays can be found here. (The scoreboard mostly eastern for obvious reasons, and contains WRs.) If you want any of these replays, change the file name from thX_<gibberish>.rpy to thX_YZ.rpy (01, 02 and so on) and drop it in your replay folder. If you just want to watch gameplay and don't have the games for the replays, search Youtube! There are plenty of vids out there.

Insufficient OP.

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki
Wiki.

http://score.royalflare.net/
Scoreboard (mostly eastern for obvious reasons), contains WRs. (change the file name from thX_<gibberish>.rpy to thX_YZ.rpy (01, 02 and so on) and drop it in your replay folder)

http://replays.gensokyo.org/
General replay archive. (for silly things or whatever else)

Gameplay can also be found on YouTube easily.

DDC (Touhou 14: Double Dealing Character) likely to be released around August 12th. No confirmed release date, I think. Demo has been out since May 25th.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Did anyone else get this
vibe from the name of this subforum?

Cathy/Zarel recruited me to the dark side so they had another opponent to play in Soku. Well, that didn't last long but it did get me into the franchise after a long, long time of trying to avoid it. (Kinda like how it took me a couple years after he became big to actually know Justin Bieber. Hey, I had my reasons.) I always had a cursory knowledge of Touhou, it's kinda hard not to being a gamer on the Internet, but a couple months ago was my first real taste of the games.

I was told to start with Imperishable Night because it's the easiest but some of the mechanics annoyed me (I didn't understand the Time Orb system until I came back to it post-EoSD/PCB) and my overly organized self demanded I play them in chronological order. I couldn't get myself into the PC-98 games (TH01-TH05), lets just say they didn't age particularly well (and the first isn't even a shooter), so I ended up starting with Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.

And god damn these bitches are seriously Nintendo Hard. EoSD especially because your hitbox isn't visible with focusing until the next game. I think part of the difficulty is that bosses are more an exercise in memorization of patterns than raw execution (though you still need to execute each pattern) and I just can't be assed to do it. That's not to say it's a bad thing, though, having to use a little brainpower to beat the bosses and for the less dextrous it often doesn't require fast twitch reactions to win. In that sense, despite being objectionally very difficult, Touhou is more accessible to less hardcore gamers. Insofar as casual gamers and moms/pops even come to find out about it, anyway.

I'm just a completionist, so the allure of hi-scoring doesn't offer me the same level of replay value as it does to those who cares, but I still love a good challenge and even Normal is quite difficult to clear unless you're super-experienced with these sort of games. I've chosen to consume more material in less time and plan to just one-credit-clear the mainline shooters in Normal to unlock Extra (which I have played some but not completed any; EoSD is my closest but Maze of Love always gets me...). Ever since I finally got a job again I haven't really played them, so I've only "beaten" TH06-08 (EoSD, PCB, IN). I can't really get into the split-screen VS nature of Phantasmagoria but I did start to play Shoot the Bullet despite it being a side game. I really like that since it's basically a Boss Rush game. Only completed about half the stages in that last I played, though.

I'm particularly looking forward to when I reach Subterranean Animism, since Patchouli as my favorite character and it's the only shooter where she's playable. :[ Long before I had any great knowledge of the franchise, I adopted her as my Touhou because I thought her name was cool and liked her intellectual look. Now that I actually know who she is, her introverted, bookish personality resonates with me and I love the mage archetype in games (especially all-powerful do-everythings like Patchy on a good day).

Shit's pretty cool, really. And the wiki is a great resource if anyone is reading this that hasn't really gotten into the franchise. I've used it most as a learn-as-I-go resource. Start up a game, look it up on the wiki to determine basic mechanics (each game has its own gimmicks), which characters and shot types are available and such so I have an easier time getting a grasp on how to play. Of course, you can look up whatever the hell you want too. There's a lot of character backstories and stuff to read up on if you want, where in-game all you get is some witty banter between playable characters and stage bosses. I mean, they're shooters. They aren't exactly story-centric, though some of the chatter is pretty amusing. As for where to get the games, well... Internet. Not hard to find.

Oh, and the music is pretty incredible. My favorites of what I've heard so far are The Young Descendant of Tepes (EoSD Stage 6), Border of Life (PCB Yuyuko's Theme), and Crystallized Silver (PCB Letty's Theme). Incidentally I feel PCB's composition was overall sub-par compared to EoSD and IN, despite having two of the tunes I like most.

Pikachuun

Not long until Touhou 14! Fingers crossed that Sakuya remains as a useful 3rd character!

Alice

The worst taste in music
Forget about touhou 14, let's all have matches on hopeless masquerade :D

also, the only game i was able to beat completely -including extra stages- was PoFV >_<

Really hyped for Touhou 14, and judging from the demo, this game is a huge step-up from Ten Desires.

Those that frequent MoTK may already know this but for those that don't

apparently a new stage screenshot from an interview with ZUN showing what appears to be a midboss (possibly stage 4?) using note bullets. Cuc's theory of DDC paying homage to PCB is holding a lot of weight so far. Anyway, Touhou Day for Comiket 84 is on the 12th, get hype!

And it's out.

Thread linked above actually has some initial reactions for those interested.

New gimmicks worry me, haven't played it yet obviously so who knows. Extra boss's design is top tier.

Edit this game is really fucking hard on higher difficulties!!!

Last edited:

Pikachuun

Jaimers said:
Aaaaand Lunatic 1cc.

I'll just say holy fucking crap. The Lunatic in this game is absolutely bonkers insane. This is way, way harder than UFO Lunatic ever hoped to be.
This is not Lunatic. This is Ultra.

And it's glorious.
If even Jaimers (Who Lunatic 1cc's for a living) says its hard, I believe that it may be near-impossible for someone ordinary to beat.

It's a slight exaggeration - I mean people reacted pretty much the same way when UFO came out.

This game is probably as hard as UFO once you know where to bomb reasonably well (which is the same as UFO being much more tame with a Red UFO route).

The difference is that this game's patterns are harder, mostly due to fake difficulty (sup gimmicky shit and stupidly needlessly dense patterns).

I got to the second spell on the final boss with my first credit as ReimuB (not "blind" mind you) so it's not impossible to clear at least!

(when I don't specify difficulty I mean Lunatic!)

One important bit: SakuyaA/MarisaB/ReimuA make this game easy. A lot of the spells take time before they get really ridiculous - ReimuB and SakuyaB don't have the luxury of avoiding these parts. It's for this reason that I'd REALLY like to see Lunatic No Bombs ReimuB be done. Impossibro-tier shit, especially with that "fuck you" of a stage 5.

A little self-advertisement is in order I think. Some of the things in this game are just that ridiculous.

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Isn't Reimu B usually needles and her better weapon?

I started listening to the music game by game, hot damn Immaterial and Missing Power's soundtrack is incredible. I mean yeah it's mostly remixed character themes but *shrug*. They're all really good. And Wind God Girl from Phantasmagoria of Flower View. <3 As I look up so many of the characters who I don't recognize from their themes, it made me realize how many Touhous there are that only make an appearance in one game (and then only supplemental material or the fighters). It seems only the mainstays, Reimu / Marisa / Alice, and the Scarlet Devil Mansion residents consistently make appearances across titles. I guess Yukari's posse and Youmu / Yuyuko sorta.

I don't think I'm gonna get back to playing it for a while but I started playing Labyrinth of Touhou and it's some good RPG action, so I thought I'd share. As a dungeon crawler, I haven't played any Etrian Odyssey games but I hear it's very similar to that. Pretty difficult in my experience so far just through the first couple floors, though it's gotten easier as I acquire more characters (you can take up to 12 but only start with five) to switch in between battles to stretch TP (the main limiter on how long you can explore the dungeon before going back to town) and MP (so you can continue to wipe trash easily and have a 100% frontline when you reach a boss). The Touhou Wiki has substantial if not incomplete information on the game regarding everything from basic gameplay to damage formulas for every PC spellcard and dungeon info.

The perfectionist in me demands I restart, having wasted tens of skill points in Evasion (which does nothing, as it always seems to be broken in so many RPGs, though it used to do something in older patches). I've dedicated myself to finishing my retail game backlog (Skyward Sword by the weekend, onto Xenoblade Chronicles will probably take me months, then Mass Effect 3) and I figure I'm not very far along in Labyrinth plus after so long being out of it, I'll want to restart anyway to re-figure out what I'm doing. Also a second one got made recently and hopefully it'll be translated by then. :p

Editastic: LoT2 is was apparently just released as a demo/beta in late July, so there's still some lategame content missing and plenty of bugs. Could be a while, eh.

also I am a ninny and PCB's soundtrack is more awesome than the other games (except IaMP)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)