Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also did see the giant tree that Xerneas was standing before. If we can somehow know that Yveltal is blind, it directly confirms the Nordic link.

Yggdrasil, The Tree Of Life

On top of the Yggdrasil is an unnamed blind eagle (Probably Yveltal) and Veðrfölnir, a small hawk that sits between the eyes of the eagle. In the middle are four stags Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór (Probable inspiration for Xerneas). Nibbling at the roots of the World Tree is the wyrm Nidhöggr. Finally, there is a Squirrel, Ratatoskr, who carries messages between the unnamed eagle and the wyrm.

Then again, Yveltal also closely resembles Yatagarasu, the three-legged crow. While Xerneas resembles Shishigami, the forest deer-like guardian, which turns into a giant spirit and roams the forest at night. Coincidentally, both of these figures are from Japanese lore.

Yatagarasu, The Three-Legged Crow

Shishigami, The Forest Guardian

Shishigami, Spirit Formé

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, Yveltal is "blind enough" already, with those blue eyes. That's not the point, however; they may be inspired in the Nordic lore, but that doesn't mean it was GF's only source of inspiration.

This may be a stupid time to bring up the Legendary Trio.... but...

In cultural mythology, (Norse, especially this one) it talks about three Norns who tend to Yggdrasil's roots while preventing them to rot. I know the Norse relation is sketchy, unreliable, and unproven, but while on the topic, I had to bring it up.

Perhaps the Trio will be based off of these three, but due to the fact that they're human-like, I doubt they will have any influence on the Trio. Oh, they're feminine, too. Urðr, Verðandi, and Skuld are the names...

^That was some bird (Vidofnir) sitting at the top of Yggdrasil, the world tree. However, that bird (sometimes portrayed as an eagle, a rooster or a falcon) isn't exactly what you'd expect Yveltal to be like. To quote Wikipedia:

"As a virtually immortal guard, he watches over the integrity of this world. He is generally a symbol of sun and fire. His crowing at dawn stands for vigilance and for the victory of light over darkness. Thus he is a symbol of a returning life, and is considered among the Germans as a spiritual guide."

Some might argue that this is so close to the exact opposite of Yveltal that there has to be a link, in which case I call BS and point out that Ho-oh might as well be based on it.
I agree, the fan theory makes absolutely no sense; we could use the same logic to say that Psyduck is based on the Egyptian god Horus because (gasp) they both have beaks! Yeah, no. Besides, Yveltal doesn't resemble any of those birds; he has wing claws, and weird horn...things on his head...is he even a bird at all? He doesn't seem to have much of a beak, if I recall...

I'm ranting; I think I'd better stop.

Edit: the three-legged crow and Shishigami bear much more resemblance in my opinion.

Last edited:
Well it would be freakin awesome if the norse god theory was correct. There could be three worlds middle world- humans and xerneas would be there, Asgard - yveltal, heaven an basically pokemon paradise and it could be the x y improved wifi online world and the bottom part where a snake is supposed to reside (Z legendary) and 9 nine island themed hell places with scary music and pokemon with some legendraries post game. Well you can't get that from most games and pokemon is supposed to be casual and for kids so I doubt it will ever happen.

Well it would be freakin awesome if the norse god theory was correct. There could be three worlds middle world- humans and xerneas would be there, Asgard - yveltal, heaven an basically pokemon paradise and it could be the x y improved wifi online world and the bottom part where a snake is supposed to reside (Z legendary) and 9 nine island themed hell places with scary music and pokemon with some legendraries post game. Well you can't get that from most games and pokemon is supposed to be casual and for kids so I doubt it will ever happen.
that would be the sickest thing ever but lets face it thats like a 1:78383829292992 chance of ever being a thing

Am I the only one who doesn't care about the inspiration and backstory behind Pokémon?
Nope. People spend way too much time trying to connect Pokemon to mythology or other silly things. The database for mythological concepts is so ridiculously vast that you could attempt to tie one to just about anything at all while in reality it likely has zero relevance from the eyes of the creator.

Nope. People spend way too much time trying to connect Pokemon to mythology or other silly things. The database for mythological concepts is so ridiculously vast that you could attempt to tie one to just about anything at all while in reality it likely has zero relevance from the eyes of the creator.
And hoping things liiiiiike

this happens, is just silly

Usually the concepts never go this deep. The Tao trio were based on the yingyang/taosim but the mythos stopped at the design concept.

This discussion is moving way too slow and I think it would be a good idea to drop the whole mythology thing because even if any of it might end up to be true,we won't have any particular benefit from knowing about it earlier than when we are supposed to know about it.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I am most likely going to host an XY Giveaway Contest for Orange Islands. If you have any ideas as to what type of contest it should be, please leave me a message on my profile (@Stellar). The contest must have two winners (one winner will receive a copy of X and one winner will receive a copy of Y).

Like this message if you are interested in participating in a giveaway. It will only happen if I foresee the contest receiving a significant number of entrants.

Has anyone else noticed how much Mega-Ampharos looks like Reshiram? It's tail has essentially the same shape and color of Reshiram's, not to mention the little red balls that seem to be lodged into the tail. The hair also resembles Reshiram's a little bit.

Is it possible that Gamefreak intended these guys to look alike? Not to mention the typing is the same..

EDIT: OOps. Quickster got me

Reshiram is Dragon/Fire; Ampharos is Electric/Dragon. They aren't the same type. Also the little red balls are an extension of the red ball at the end of normal Ampharos' tail. It's probably just stylistic if anything. The white wool is likely a coincidence, since the Ampharos line has white wool anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)