What if we make a GAME?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if we had a forum where we all collaborated in making a completely new game? we could even have some of the CAP Pokemon and their prevolutions. We don't even really have to make a game, just edit a ROM for say fire red. I think that would be soooo cool and for people who just do stuff like spriting They could make sprites for the pokemon we create in the game. I think this game would really show what people can do beacause I know I would be motivated to make something good if it was going to be put into something that other people could play.
I already Have an idea for the starters:

Firestarter:
Type:Fire/dark
Description: A pokemon whose color scheme gets darker as it evolves and its speed increases in darker conditions

Waterstarter:
Type: Water/steel
Description: It is a pokemon whose Fins are made of steel which make it faster in wet conditions, As it evolves it comes more to the upright position.

Grassstarter:
Type:Grass/normal
Description: It is a pokemon whose color scheme gets lighter as it evolves and is faster in bright conditions
starter-fire copy.png
starter-grass.png
starter-water copy.png

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
A) this is a competitive site

which leads to

B) generally the people who are interested in making new pokemon regions only care for flavor

which leads to

C) nobody on smogon is willing to give people a place on a competitive forum to fuck around and make pokemon that will not be taken seriously, will be absolutely flavor-filled and badly led

also we're probably one of the few groups on the internet that would probably get a Cease & Desist if we bother invading Nintendo's final area of expertise - game making and connected stuff

If this is such a competitive site then Why is there the smeargle studio or even that whole section? All i'm suggeting is that we add it to a place like that so people can share their talents like in the smeargle studio.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
a forum - every forum has an offtopic section. this is ours.

Circus Maximus - many older users used to play the games in there. it was never removed because 1: it was fun and properly moderated; and b: it's just a tightly moderated forum games section.

Smeargles Studio - Cap, Competitor, Smog, Tournments, C&C and various other places use art by the fellows in Studio. it's not very uncommon to see a Art section as well, is it not?

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
People have done such projects on site (iirc Smeargle's Studio had one or two such mods/games in the works) but usually they are extremely time-consuming to mod and hard to complete due to people not being consistent or being lazy, or just failing to follow through.

But what If say one person does the editing and simply Gets input from other people, but in a way that the community is creating it instead of just one person. If you got me to do that I know I would like that.

What I meant to say is we could have it so If someone was to make their own game they go there and get all the help they need, like if someone was working on a game and they needed some sprites they could go there and find someone to make some for him/her.

a fairy

Community Leader
But this is a competitive website. If we have a forum like that, it's now our project. With that, comes a couple issues:

A) Nintendo probably wouldn't want us to do that: We haven't gotten yelled at yet. We start making games, we will get yelled at.

B) Why waste time running/contributing to a project that will likely ultimately fail?

There are hundreds of Pokemon mods out there, if you really want to get involved in something like that it shouldn't be hard.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We once had a forum for a game: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/battle-capacity.135/

It was a fighting game with CAP mons. However, there likely won't be a forum to /make/ games. If anyone makes a game for smogon, they can pitch it here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/projects.107/

However, making ROM mods aren't something we will venture into. In fact, discussing ROMs is disallowed to some extent. Like don't ask for download links etc. And no LS Nintendo won't yell for that lol.

Anyway, pretty much a no go for ROM mods. A forum will only be put up when the need arises, like the BattleCAPacity which I linked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)