Research Group #5: Swoobat, Combusken, Gothorita and Drifblim

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

gotta edit the banner to say group soon

Introduction

NU is a tier where many Pokemon are usable, and there are a ton of different options. Research Group aids in helping explore the tier. Who knows, maybe in future tier changes one of these Pokemon can be incredibly useful, potentially being able to check the new threats well. Maybe one of these Pokemon may find uses in other tiers and is not just a simple throw-away Pokemon, unlike some unfortunate Pokemon in NU.

Some rules

• Be open-minded. Don't just say something is terrible and walk away; at least look into them and see what options they may be able to utilize.
  • Feel free to theorymon, but make it clear that you are theorymonning. At the end of the group, however, I want discussion to move towards how useful the Pokemon actually are in NU, and what sets are effective on them.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's quite possible that something might have gone unnoticed or is missing.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. I want discussion to stay on topic about the 4 Pokemon we are "researching". If you want to suggest something, send a forum Private Message to me. Also, Pokemon from past research weeks will be used again simply because the metagame has obviously changed since this project was last brought about.
The four Pokemon for this group (15/08/13):

These Pokemon were chosen because of how deadly under the right conditions or when given a chance to sweep. Swoobat when allowed two Calm Minds can be scary to face given its Speed in this metagame, Combusken after a few boosts can be deadly, Gothorita can trap and spell the end for something, setting up on it until it dies, and Drifblim can either set up Calm Mind or use Acrobatics straight up and become difficult to take down.

I want you guys to think about how to make these guys bigger threats and why they're not sitting up there with the big names when they have all this power ready to be unleashed.

Questions to consider when posting here

How useful are these Pokemon in NU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #neverused as well!

The Research Group Challenge

• Users will use any number of the research group mons on their team
  • Users will attempt to reach as high as possible on the ladder with the Pokemon. Breaking past the 2000 mark on the ladder with your registered alt will earn you a spot on the Hall of Fame: Gold Class. Crossing the 1850 mark will secure you a Silver Class spot while a 1700 rating will earn you a Bronze Class spot. Post a screen-shot of your peak in order to achieve this, and a pastebin of your team. Note: this is for Glicko2. You must also have a deviation of 85.
  • Users will be expected to post their experiences with the Pokemon they use, the teams they used, the problems they encountered while trying to make the said Pokemon work.
  • If a user does not participate in the discussion, he will be passed over.
  • In order to participate in the challenge, simply post here with a brand new alt. Post battle logs, experiences with your team on the ladder, and generally how a Pokemon has worked out for you: past or present.
  • The Hall of Fame will be on the NU hub soon!
Please include more substance in your posts than just "in" and what Pokemon you're using. What sets are you planning on using? What interests you about whatever Pokemon you're using? Remember: people who contribute a lot to Research Group will be listed on the hub page as an outstanding contributor for this Research Group (yes, I'm aware I'm c/ping this but I'm actually going to actively update the hub, so!)

Every few days during the group I'll post questions which I expect you guys to be involved in. If you have any questions about this project, feel free to send me a PM, otherwise just compete in the challenge, and actively post here too discussing the sets throughout the group. Remember that the NU mods keep an eye over everything even when they're asleep and you could get one step closer to earning CC if you actively post here and keep up discussion. n_n

I'm going to use Drifblim because I've already used all of the three others previously. I'll post my thoughts about them while I'm at it.

Swoobat: This shit is frail as hell, and so even after a Calm Mind. It's really hard to setup with it, but when you are able to, you can usually say GG if you don't see any priority users on the opponent's team. Substitute + Calm Mind is imo the best set, because it can bypass Skuntank's Sucker Punch.

Combusken: Chicken is a really cool Pokemon that I feel that needs more love. While its special set isn't bad, it always misses at the worst possible times. His physical set is my favorite, and the only one that should be used imo. With Eviolite, it has decent bulk, allowing him to shrug off resisted priority and get at +2. From there on, it can use Protect to gain speed boosts rapidly. It's a really cool late-game cleaner which should be used more often.

Gothorita: Ahhh, le Gothorita. I still think this thing is worthy of being suspected, and I hope during this research week people will realize that too, or at least realize how good she is. I think people should actually use it as a supporter who removes walls, AND they should actually support her, because if you're able to remove the opponent's Dark-type, you can then setup with Reflect and Calm Mind, to the point where Gothorita can destroy everything.

Aaaand Drifblim: One of the few "good" Pokemon I've never used in NU. I'll probably using a weird as fuck set like Hypnosis / Will-O-Wisp / Acrobatics / Destiny Bond lol! Will support it with stuff to remove Rock- and Steel-types.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This research group, I believe I am going to be using Swoobat, as @Ashley11 and I made a team built around Porygon for the lols, but Swoobat would be an excellent fit in Porygon's place as a late game cleaner. The reason it fits so well on this team, is that I already have Probopass to trap and eliminate steel types, as well as Skuntank to trap and kill bulky psychic types that Swoobat sometimes struggles with.

Here is the set I will be using

Swoobat @ Leftovers
Trait: Simple
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Substitute

Although I may try heat wave over subsitute, as Metang is sometimes hard for Probo to trap.

The only pokemon I have actually used in the past, is Drifblim, which is probably one of the best lures in the game, allowing other flying or normal types to sweep after crippling or killing the opposing teams steel mon.

Joining with alt Absurdium... I'll be testing out Swoobat this round, and seeing how it can be used in this metagame. I feel as if it's fighting for a spot with Jynx, the former being able to boost its Sp. Def and higher speed but the latter having Lovely Kiss and an initial higher Special attack. In fact, not many Jynx checks/counters fall to Swoobat either; nearly any scarf user that could revenge Jynx could revenge Swoobat as well. To attempt to differentiate Swoobat, then, I emphasized its speed and Simple by attempting a Sub-Salac set:

Swoobat @ Salac Berry
Trait: Simple
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid nature
-Air Slash
-Calm Mind
-Stored Power
-Substitute

so much potential :o

Joining as MagicalSwagmortar with Drifblim! I've tried swoobat before and once it gets to set up it can destroy stuff with the right support. Anyway, the drifblim set:

Drifblim @ Ghost Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

This set really works as it sets a calm minds and then doubles its speed with ghost gem!

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gothorita: Ahhh, le Gothorita. I still think this thing is worthy of being suspected, and I hope during this research week people will realize that too, or at least realize how good she is. I think people should actually use it as a supporter who removes walls, AND they should actually support her, because if you're able to remove the opponent's Dark-type, you can then setup with Reflect and Calm Mind, to the point where Gothorita can destroy everything.
I don't think it really needs Reflect to be honest. You can easily set up on like Alomomola or Tangela, or anything else really defensive, and you're fine. For anything offensive you have Eviolite anyways so you shouldn't take too much damage (and why would you set up on something really offensive when there's so many defensive mons you can come in on really). Gothorita is defs a good mon though, and I hope in this research group people might be able to find other ways to make it work. It is kind of slow though, so I wonder if Trick Room could work really well with it (if there's no Psychic/Dark/Steel types) with like, TR/CM/ST/Psychic and it can set up TR just before it takes down the enemy so that's like 3 or so turns of guaranteed sweeping with +6 sPA. With the right support I think that could be pretty fun if played properly. What do you guys think?

This is actually kinda fortunate, since I just made a team with Drifblim a few days ago. I'll be laddering on BestGen, using standard AcroBlimp.

Edit: Turns out that I have a few games on the alt already. Laddering on BirdInDisguise instead.

Last edited:
I think I might try and use Swoobat and Combusken. Who knows, I might throw in one of the others as well, depends how the team goes.

I think I am gonna go with using Swoobat.
Swoobat is an interesting mon to use, and it gets the ability simple,which could help in sweeping, once all the threatening mons are gone.

I will try laddering under the alt GohomeNU.

Last edited:
For Drifblim, I generally see either the SubCM set or the Acrobatics sweeping set, but without Swords Dance, Drifblim may have some trouble with this. I have looked through Drifblim's movepool and found some other potential toys:

Clear Smog- lets Drifblim perform a supporting role well
Disable- lets Drifblim shut down Choiced Pokemon, namely Sawk.
Magic Coat- bounces back sleep, Taunt, etc. as well as hazards
Memento- lets Drifblim sacrifice itself to let a partner sweep much easier.
Psychic- an underrated coverage move to capitalize on Drifblim's ability to switch in on Fighting and Poison-type moves
Sunny Day/Rain Dance- Drifblim can set weather fairly well and abuse it
Sucker Punch- a priority move to make revenge killing harder that also hits Jynx and Golurk super-effectively
Thunder/Weather Ball- weather abuse moves

I will use an alt for the study of Drifblim.

Alt name: Count Cacturne

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Having used Drifblim and Gothorita, I'll post my thoughts on them.

Drifblim: Drifblim's a cool guy. AcroBlimp is one of the most fun sets ever, and I think it really showcases Drifblim's great versatility. Between Unburden and Destiny Bond, he almost always gets at least one kill (even if he has to suicide himself to do it). However, despite having Destiny Bond to potentially lure in a Flying resist and take it down, I've found you never actually want to spam Acrobatics until these resists have been removed. Maybe it's just the way I play, but I prefer not to rely on Destiny Bond to get a kill; after all, he still has a Flying Gem-boosted 110 base power attack under his belt that you never really want to waste. Anyway, Drifblim's a neat Pokemon and it's really hard to prevent him from doing his job.

Gothorita: Shadow Tag is such a broken ability. Seriously. And that results in Gothorita being awesome. I'm always a fan of any sweeper that can set up on walls, and Goth takes that to the next level. I usually pair her with something like SD Rott or SmashCosta, since the trapping support she provides is so amazing for them (trapping stuff like Alomomola, Tangela, Vileplume, etc. is crazy awesome). Gothorita is one of the most underrated threats in the meta imo, and people really have no idea what they're missing out on. And it's not like Goth can't sweep herself, either; because it's so easy for her to set up to +6 / +6, she has no problem plowing through teams that lack a Dark-type.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've taken Swoobat for a spin on the ladder and I've had mixed results. In all my games, it either takes all the spotlight for the team, or does nothing the entire game. More often than not, the latter happens. I think the reason is because Swoobat is both frail and underpowered. With its frail-ness, it is difficult to find setup opportunities and you pretty much have to setup on a Fighting or Ground-type move because everything else does so much damage to Swoobat. The worst part is that Swoobat is revenged killed too easily by priority and opposing Scarf users. Substitute kinda helps that, but the reality is that it is extremely tough to set up both Substitute and Calm Mind. And a dilemma then appears: if I sub, I won't have enough power to take down anything, but if I calm mind, I don't have insurance against revenge killing. I guess you could support Swoobat with dual screens, but it's kinda hard justifying the use of that kind of team support to support Swoobat, when I could easily use something like Jynx who can support itself with Lovely Kiss and doesn't need to boost to get power, or use the support for something like Linoone who is quite immune to being revenge killed. I don't think I would use Swoobat because almost every team has some priority user of some sort which would easily kill Swoobat, and no good player would allow it to get up Sub + 2 Calm Minds

Screen Shot 2013-08-16 at 10.59.12 PM.png

Not quite my peak (I think that was 1768), but I never got into the 1800s, never mind the 1850s. Since I won't have time to ladder for the next three days, I guess I'm done at Bronze. Here's the team: http://pastebin.com/9pGeh1X9

Now, to add on to what scorpdestroyer said about Swoobat. My experiences were the same: either I could get Swoobat in and start murdering the other team, or Swoobat did basically nothing or Simisear swept the opposing team from turn 1. However, I have to say I've had more of the former than the latter: there's actually quite a few common Pokémon that Swoobat can successfully set up on, namely Alomomola, Weezing, Musharna, Tangela, Wartortle, Exeggutor... In other words, the common physical walls + assorted other supports. By double-switching from a physical sweeper, Tauros in my case, Swoobat would get the free turn it needs to either CM or sub.

Dual screens were indeed helpful: I ran them on Serperior. However, I found that I rarely relied on them to set up my Swoobat sweeps. I can't recall a single time where I set up with them up that would've made a difference. Dodging status is much more useful, but Swoobat already has one of the fastest Subs in the tier, so that's easy. The last complaint that scorp had that I managed to fix somewhat was Swoobat's susceptibility to revenge-killing: Salac berry negates any threat that a scarfer might be able to pose, not to mention adds another 40 BP to Stored Power. Priority is still problematic, though it's not really a reason to use Jynx over Swoobat since Jynx is killed by the same priorities Swoobat is save for Aqua Jet.

Uh, final things... Counters to Swoobat. Liepard is one of the better ones, never letting Swoobat boost at all with it's wretched priority Encore. Haze Murkrow shuts down Swoobat, though thankfully I've never run across one yet. Mandibuzz is a pain in the rear as well... So Dark types in general are problematic. Grumpig and Munchlax still deserve honorable mentions just for walling every single special sweeper to heck and back.

I'm going to be using Drifblim since it seems the most interesting with its Ghost/Flying typing, and I'll probably use the SubCM that Magical Magmortar is using. I can see it having problems with the steel types in the meta, namely bastiodon (not incredibly common, but it's seen), probopass, and metang because it can only really hit them with t-bolt which won't be doing much before a CM boost. For that reason, I'll be pairing it with offensive magnet pull probopass to get rid of them before drifblim comes in to set up. They cover each other's weaknesses pretty well with probo resisting dark, ghost, rock, and ice attacks while drifblim is immune to fighting and ground. To round off blim's weaknesses, I'll add physically defensive seismitoad to set up rocks and have an immunity to electric attacks. Also, it's a better switch in to rock attacks compared to offensive probo because of how common edgequake coverage is on threats like sawk and golem. I'm not quite sure what my other three pokes will be yet, but so far so good I guess. I intend to be using the alt WidespreadHispanic.

Metang can't really do much to Drifblim, while it takes quite a lot of damage from Shadow Ball.

Drifblim is the most interesting Pokemon out of this Research Group for me. I never find a chance to use it on my teams but it's a very threatening Pokemon to fight. I think I will mainly use SubCM as I am already very familiar with how the Acrobatics set performs. I feel the Acrobatics set does not accomplish that much sometimes because of the abundance of Rock-types, but it's very nice in tandem with Swellow. Note the defensive synergy of this core is pretty horrid, so you should only use it on offensive teams.

Yeah, I kinda derped out for a second when I mentioned metang as a threat. I think I meant lairon, but it's not too relevant right now. Thanks for pointing that out, DTC.

Guys consider using Thunderbolt on Gothorita over Reflect, Toxic or Sleep Talk. I've started running it since Mandibuzz came to join us, and it's a really fun move to use. As long as you come in on something you can set up on like Alomomola, getting to +6 is childs play. Thunderbolt allows Gothy to sweep herself, letting it get past Skuntank, Mandibuzz, Metang, Musharna etc. Toxic is pretty unneccesary imo, Reflect or Sleep Talk are probably the next best options.

So far I've been having some absolutely brilliant success with the best set ever for our like chicken friend.

We know that eviolite can turn some pokemon into defensive beats. Missy proves that far and away and it only has 60/60 physical defenses. And so I present to you all, Mono Attacking Combusken.

Combusken @ Eviolite
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Fire Punch

This sets up on so much stuff. Any neutral attack pretty much bounces off and can be set up on. This sets up on almost every grass type in the tier. And so far I've had some great successes. So cool things this can do. Alomomola can't break it. Doesn't matter if it's running scald or waterfall. Scald is a 5hko, waterfall does 50% max at +0 and less than 34% at +1. It's a stalemate yes, but if you add status to the mix it gets pretty baller and can't really be walled by much. The pain point of it, is that by the time you realise your normal checks probably won't work, it's at a point where it can steamroll. Speed Boost is absolutely amazing seeing at it lets you set up and after a couple of turns, you are almost un outspeedable and you're bulky as fuck. To put it in perspective. Missy has the same physical defenses as Busken has special ones.

Looking at Drifblim's options, I thought it would make a nice fit on Rain teams if it could have rain set up beforehand (too frail to set up rain beforehand), so I cameup with this offensive rain set:

Drifblim (M) @ Electric Gem
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Hasty
-Shadow Ball
-Thunder
-Weather Ball
-Explosion

This is a sweeping set without Acrobatics. With rain up, Drifblim can unleash a perfect-accuracy Thunder with an Electric Gem boost, and then be able to outspeed the entire unboosted NU and most Scarf Pokemon. Shadow Ball is the main STAB that hits the tier's Psychic-types, namely the rain-loving Jynx, hard. Thunder can be used more than once to fish for paralysis or to hit Water and Flying-types. Weather Ball becomes a Water-type move in rain and lets Drifblim get new coverage that it couldn't on weather-less teams. Finally, Explosion lets Drifblim go out with a bang, OHKOing most frail opponents, and letting my next sweeper come in safely (on this team Drifblim's job is to weaken the opposing team with blinding speed and excellent coverage so Samurott can clean up).

Here is the import for my team in case you're curious.

Drifblim (F) @ Electric Gem
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Weather Ball
- Explosion
- Thunder

Weezing (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder
- Sludge Bomb
- Rain Dance

Meganium (M) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SAtk
- Aromatherapy
- Dragon Tail
- Magic Coat
- Body Slam

Golurk @ Damp Rock
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake

Samurott (M) @ Mystic Water
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Megahorn

Eelektross (M) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Giga Drain

General roles:
Drifblim- secondary sweeper
Weezing- physical wall
Meganium- special wall/cleric
Golurk- lead/secondary tank
Eelektross- main rain setter/primary tank
Samurott- primary sweeper

Drifblim Peak3.png

Pretty decent peak for the team I made considering I had never used half of the pokes on the team. Here's the link to the team:http://pastebin.com/PaNUFWTA

Like I stated in my previous post, I used offensive probopass and and physically defensive seismitoad to cover drfiblim's weaknesses and get rid of its checks, and for the most part it worked pretty well. While I was laddering, there weren't too many steel types being used unfortunately, so probopass was mostly just giving the rest of the team toxic support and slow volt switches. Seismitoad was pretty consistent in its role during each match mostly just setting up rocks, knocking off items, and burning things. These two really helped Blim actually pull of sweeps because of how much pressure they kept up with all of the residual damage they racked up.

As for the other members of my team, I chose mixed bulk Mandibuzz mostly for phazing, taunting, and stalling like most Mandis do. I normally lead with it to taunt the usual rock setter then switch into toad to set up my own rocks. CB sawk was just the standard wall breaker that got rid of special walls like munchlax, lickilicky, and the occasional special defense miltank. Finally, I used kangaskhan for priority fake out and sucker punch to revenge faster threats like jynx and tauros with relative ease.

For the most part, this team supported drifblim pretty well. The things I found easiest to set up on were roselia, alomomola, and pretty much any other wall without phazing. The only tricky thing was getting a sub up and then getting up calm mind. Generally, I had to choose one or the other because my opponent usually wasn't bad enough to let me set up both without switching in to something to take blim's hits. However, because of prior damage the rest of my team did, a sub for protection from priority and the unburden boost was usually enough to sweep the rest of the game. The only things that really threatened my team were choice band sawk because my team doesn't take any of his hits very well and Charizard for the same reasons as Sawk. Overall this team worked pretty well, and I'll probably use Drifblim on a lot of future teams.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I hate laddering, I am just so inconsistent. Anyways, I used Swoobat for research week and it was pretty cool, I decided to use offensive Probopass support, as it trapped the steels that Swoobat can't dent, and Skuntank in order to trap Musharna and other bulky psychic types that could give it trouble, this is the team if you want to see it/try it out http://pastebin.com/SgGfKmWW.

Swoobat is really freaking frail, and extremely inconsistent, in many games I felt like I was just using 5 mons, as there was nothing on the other team that Swoobat could set up on or threaten without set up. But, my team (if you can tell) had a large Alomomola weakness, and Swoobat can set up on Alomomola with ease, as it will often try to toxic Swoobat as I sub, and then scald can't break the sub at +2. I've also managed to set up on shit like Cacturne, because they tried to sucker punch at the wrong time, but in general, it was really hard to set up. I would say of the 50 games I played, Swoobat probably managed to do something significant in 5 (ie killing 2-3 mons or getting the crucial kill), while in 10 it was used to revenge kill a weakened threat due to it's high speed without having to sack Haunter. In the other 35 games, it either wasn't used or it was sacked, either due to bad prediction on my part or the fact that it has 67/55/55 defenses and while it has high speed, is still susceptible to every scarfer in the tier. It's ground immunity is extremely valuable, especially since Haunter drew in mold breaker earthquakes from the likes of Sawk, and without Swoobat, a CB Sawk could earthquake through my team after rocks and a dead Swoobat.

If you want to use Swoobat, Probopass support is mandatory, as there is no way for Swoobat to muscle through steel types, without becoming inefficient, and as all of it's counters are grounded, spike support from Scolipede is extremely valuable as it shortens Skuntank and steel types lives considerably. Skuntank support is cool, although Swoobat could probably use certain Musharna as set up fodder so it is optional.

There are three things that Swoobat can do well, set up on and defeat defensive teams (this is actually really threatening to stall, and all the significant games where vs. stall), revenge kill most of the tier if they are weakened (without resorting to a scarf), and be really cute.

So cute :).

But that is the end of it's use, as a non-choiced revenge killer it is outclassed by Zebstrika, and as a threat to stall teams there are plenty of things that outclass it. It definitely has it's uses, but is a pretty niche mon.

I've continued to test the team, and made some major overhauls to the defensive side of it.

Drifblim (F) @ Electric Gem
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Weather Ball
- Explosion
- Thunder

Weezing (F) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder
- Sludge Bomb
- Rain Dance

Armaldo (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 200 Spd / 252 Atk / 56 Def
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SAtk
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Altaria (F) @ Damp Rock
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Atk
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Rain Dance
- Dragon Claw

Samurott (M) @ Mystic Water
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Megahorn

Eelektross (M) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Giga Drain

This team ended up being centralized more around Samurott than Drifblim though (maybe I'll test Huntail over Samurott), and I managed to fit a Rapid Spinner onto the team without relying on Magic Coat.

Drifblim is still a good sweeper due to decent power and exceptional coverage. Look at the some of the top threats in NU:

Golurk- Drifblim nails it with Shadow Ball/Rain Weather Ball
Jynx- Shadow Ball
Scolipede- Weather Ball
Primeape- Shadow Ball (though I haven't come across any recently)

Really Drifblim doesn't have much trouble with most things that aren't bulky Steels or Fighting-types with a Rock/Ice coverage move (Gurdurr/Throh), especially with Weezing spreading burns and Eelektross spreading paralysis. Now Armaldo can spin away rocks for Drifblim to make a sweep easier (there was no spinner in the original version of the team, but Armaldo has done great so far and has even gotten in a sweep itself). I also like Explosion for when the Electric Gem is used up and Drifblim is up against an opponent it can't KO it. I just go boom, hopefully severely dent it, and give Samurott a free switch-in to pick up the sweep right where Drifblim left off. +2 Mystic Water Rain-boosted Waterfall HURTS. Unless you're Jynx, Seismitoad, Frillish, Cacturne, or Cradily.

Now that I have used Swoobat, I am going to give my input on him.

Swoobat :
Swoobat is a decent mon that utilize CM effectively due to its ability Simple. Without Simple, Swoobat would be pretty much useless. Swoobat does suffer from mostly lackluster stats, except for its speed and its okay special attack. Swoobat can utilize Stored Power pretty effectively, being able to dent anything that does not resist psychic type moves after a +2 boost. Swoobat does need good team support to function properly, so I guess taking out the big threats like Primeape or something to take the psychic hits like musharna is necessary before a sweep with Swoobat. I was in a situation where I was 1-4 and then Swoobat turned the whole game around by letting me get to +6 in only 3 boosts. I then proceeded to sweep the rest of his team.(The guy was decently ranked, he had like 1590-1600ish, so it wasn't a complete noob match. Stored Power does go from 20(I think) to 100 base power after just one boost. Simple is a good ability for Swoobat, as in turns him to an unexpected sweeper, since he is not used too much.

Unfortunately, pokemon like Gardevoir can take a +2 Stored Power and KO back with Signal Beam, provided Swoobat does have too many boosts on its belt. Dark types, mainly ones that get access to Persuit + Sucker Punch or just one of the two can deal with Swoobat effectively, due to the low defenses Swoobat possesses. Kangaskhan also deals with Swoobat effectively, her being able to flinch with Fake Out and then proceed to KO with the Sucker Punch. Because of this, Swoobat often has trouble finding times to set up, so you won't be finding too many opportunities to set up. So far, my opinion has completely changed when it comes to Swoobat, as in I realized this pokemon has potential.
(Doin this on like 3 hours of sleep)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)