Challenge XY Giveaway Contest - Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

ROUND 1: THE CHROMATIC GENERATION

In 1996, Japan unleashed Pokémon Red Version and Pokémon Green Version onto the world. These two games signaled the beginning of a game franchise that would sweep like wildfire across the globe, ingraining itself in the childhoods of many a youngster. Since then, the Pokémon franchise has continued to grow, expanding to include anime, manga, and more. This week we celebrate the first entries into Pokémon's video game catalog.

CHALLENGE
Your challenge for this round is to collect the first three badges with as low an in-game time as possible in English Pokémon Red or Pokémon Blue.

Also known as a speed run, this challenge tests your knowledge of Pokémon Red and Blue and your ability to think ahead. Speed runs attempt to minimize the number of trainer battles and the number of wild encounters in order to minimize overall game time. Here are a few tips for speed runs:
  • Before starting a new game, set OPTIONS to fast text, no animations, and set mode.
  • Choose short names for characters and Pokémon. Long nicknames take longer to display.
  • Avoid trainer battles and wild encounters unless they are absolutely necessary for EXP.
  • Do NOT save. Saving eats up valuable seconds in a short speed run such as this one.

RULES
A list of general rules can be found here.
  1. Do not abuse save states/resets. This should be a continuous run of the game.
  2. Do not abuse any game-breaking glitches such as the early level 100 glitch.
  3. You may not trade over a Pokémon knowing HM01 Cut in order to skip the S.S. Anne.

SUBMISSION
Submit a screenshot or a photo of your trainer card via private message to @Stellar.

My time using Bulbasaur to test
approximate challenge length.​
  • Your game time and current badges should be clearly visible in the screenshot or photo.
  • You may only submit one screenshot or photo. Select your best time.
  • You should not post your results publicly.
LEADERBOARD

1. Wyverii - 0:49
2. Focus - 0:49
3. Eo Ut Mortus - 0:49
4. Nexus - 0:50
5. Mekkah - 0:51
6. Manitary - 0:51
7. elcheeso - 0:51
8. Roadagain - 0:51
9. billymills - 0:51
10. lucariojr - 0:53
11. extra. - 0:53
12. atsync - 0:54
13. DHR-107 - 0:54
14. sb879 - 0:54
15. totodile - 0:56
16. LegendaryElitist - 0:56
17. makiri - 0:57
18. Shiny Dratini - 0:57
19. Alterevolution - 0:57
20. Jimera0 - 0:57
21. breh - 0:58
22. Level 51 - 0:58
23. zdrup15 - 0:59
24. amnz - 0:59
CUTOFF FOR ROUND 2
25. coolking49 - 1:00
26. Dark Arceus - 1:02
27. Wyvern56 - 1:04
28. NidokingKing - 1:09
29. The Diverman - 1:11
30. Quark - 1:12
31. richi3f - 1:31

All contestants who complete the qualifying round's challenge will be entered into a raffle for a $20 eShop gift card!

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
is there gonna be some kind of legallity checker and if so what is it?
If you submit a screenshot, I might ask to see your save file. If you submit a photo, I might ask to see additional photos of your team. Cheating will not be tolerated in this competition. I am spending my own money to provide prizes. If you cheat in this competition I will see to it that you are banned.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you submit a screenshot, I might ask to see your save file. If you submit a photo, I might ask to see additional photos of your team. Cheating will not be tolerated in this competition. I am spending my own money to provide prizes. If you cheat in this competition I will see to it that you are banned.
good its not that i dont trust anyone i just wanted it to be fair game

Stellar

of the Distant Past
Also if anyone still wants to sign up, leave me a profile message. I'll accept sign-ups until around Wednesday.

If anyone is interested to know the benchmarks I hit to get 1:10 using Bulbasaur:
I defeated Brock at 0:20.
I exited Mt. Moon at 0:36.
I defeated Misty at 0:41.
I cured Bill at 0:57.
I defeated Lt. Surge at 1:10.

Managed to finish a full run. I'm not exactly happy with it, seeing how it had some awful stuff, including an extra PokeCenter visit, and two unintentional battles. At least I now have a decent idea where to aim at.

Good luck for ya'll.

May have forgotten the need to cure bill first run.... may have ended at 1:30 because I realized after 5-10 minutes of playing/panicking. Still doing more obviously, but that was unfortunate. At least I've been doing speed runs myself, I can typically get under an hour for 3 gym leaders (I've been given advice on how to do it).

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Done my first whole run too... I had a whole bunch of unfortunate visits and I lost vs Misty and against Rival on SS Anne (due to sand attack hax). It's a solid time, but nothing to set the world on fire.

Don't forget to join #OrangeIslands to get into talking to us all about your games! We are also willing to help :)

After the first 'exploration' run, I managed to limit hax and finally got a not-below-average time. I'll try more tomorrow, I need better IVs (was kinda dying when Raichou survived Dig) and more luck finding a Cut user.

Just finished my first run. It was pretty meh, but I learned some things.

1. Squirtle is probably the best starter to do this challenge with thanks to Dig, Mega Punch, BubbleBeam, filler
2.The Youngster on Route 3 (the one with Rattata and Ekans) is a big threat. Make sure your starter is at full health before facing him
3. Potions and Repels are godsends
4. Weedle and Zubat can burn in Pokemon hell.

Oh and is the deadline going to be at the end of 8/24 or at the start?

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
This was the first time I tried a speedrun of Red or Blue (Yellow's my game, man). Between crits everywhere, effing Sand-Attack, and Lt. Surge's gym puzzle, this is gonna be stressful. I'm not happy at all with my first run because I screwed up the Cerulean Gym and Blue's second fight royally. Hope I have time to give this another go, 'cause I'll be really busy with moving and school this week...

edit: Luckily I got my webcam to work finally!

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
why is the leaderboard still empty ;_;
also apparently I should read the rules more, I didnt see that it has to be a single-segment run and I have to redo it z_z
also
11:59 PM 8/24
what timezone?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Cause no one has submitted times yet... If we can only submit once, no one is going to submit too early :P Gives too much chance for someone to under cut you.

@Stellar What if multiple people tie with the same time around the Cut Off point?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
also apparently I should read the rules more, I didnt see that it has to be a single-segment run and I have to redo it z_z
also

what timezone?
CST (GMT -5)
Cause no one has submitted times yet... If we can only submit once, no one is going to submit too early :p Gives too much chance for someone to under cut you.

@Stellar What if multiple people tie with the same time around the Cut Off point?
I guess it's "first submited, first served"...and someone removes hax tools from Misty, please
Let's go with this as an incentive to send scores in sooner. Scores that are submitted earlier are more highly "seeded."

Stellar

of the Distant Past
I've updated the leaderboard with the first two submissions. The leaderboard will be shifting constantly over the next week, so if you find yourself in the top five at the beginning of the week, you may very well fall to the bottom by the end. No public submissions keeps the suspense high. :]

EDIT: If I keep getting sign-ups via profile message/PM, I'll probably bump the cutoff to 32 for this round.

I just did my first try, getting familiar with the game again. I got a decent (average-ish) time, but that includes a few extra battles and a short detour upon finding out Meowth doesn't learn cut (WTF??? It has claws for god's sake). Anyways, I'll probably do a couple more runthroughs and pick the best time.

I'm submitting my time real soon, I just need to try again (for the 7th time)

Stupid Misty and stupid crits...

The thing about continuous runs is that you can get your time destroyed at the last part and there's nothing you can do, that makes it waaaay more challenging (and I like it lol)

Edit: F**k my life, went all the way to Lt. Surge to find out i have no Cut user to continue

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Edit: F**k my life, went all the way to Lt. Surge to find out i have no Cut user to continue
At least you didn't pull a mekkah and escape rope back to pallet town or something :3 And some people are crazy resetting for good Starters to get the best chance of going as fast as possible.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
I dont get how you check IVs in Gen I??
You don't... If you don't have 12 special after the first match start again. People have just been resetting that, that 1 extra stat point can be a big difference early on.

You don't... If you don't have 12 special after the first match start again. People have just been resetting that, that 1 extra stat point can be a big difference early on.
The best is 12atk and spatk at lvl6 and 18 at lvl11, but it's really important to have 12atk otherwise you take too many Tackle to take down Weedles and missing a OHKO on Raichu can be really problematic since it has 2 occasions to kill with Thunderbolt.

I was like: "ok, I can do better than this if I'm not so unlucky but I've not much time to play, I'll submit this one". Then I realized I didn't save the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)