Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
About whether or not it was a crit. Wasn't Sylveon hit 2 times by Hydro Pump? To me it looked like Sylveon took about the same amount of damage each time, meaning that it wasn't a crit...

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's possible that the so-called "crit" was one of the messages like the ones I quoted earlier. I'm sure a lot of us didn't expect those messages to exist. Since most of us can't read Japanese, we just associated mid-battle text with something familiar.

Yes, and to anyone going to PAX: Use Sylveon's Fairy Wind on the Wild Exeggutor and try to get Sycamore's Crobat to use a Poison move on Sylveon as well.

It annoys me that no one has done this for 2 whole conventions now.
In addition, if anyone gets a starter other than Chespin, then use Fairy Wind on the Chespin one of the rivals uses, just so we can be sure of Grass's matchups against Fairy. Honestly, I doubt that's going to affect anything, as the Pokebeach leaks have been right so far, this would be more to shut up the doubters. If the Pokebeach leaks are right (as they have been thus far), Fairy Wind should be regularly effective on Chespin, and not very effective on Exeggutor.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
It's possible that the so-called "crit" was one of the messages like the ones I quoted earlier. I'm sure a lot of us didn't expect those messages to exist. Since most of us can't read Japanese, we just associated mid-battle text with something familiar.
Just for reference, the exact text is: きゆうしよに あたつた!
Romanized: kiyuushiyoni atatsuta

I'm still learning Japanese so I don't know what exactly the words mean, but there's no mention of Politoed (Nyorotono ニョロトノ ) or Sylveon (Ninfia ニンフィア ) and, in fact, there's no katakana at all so no Pokemon or moves are said whatsoever so it's very safe to assume it's a critical hit.

Just for reference, the exact text is: きゆうしよに あたつた!
Romanized: kiyuushiyoni atatsuta

I'm still learning Japanese so I don't know what exactly the words mean, but there's no mention of Politoed (Nyorotono ニョロトノ ) or Sylveon (Ninfia ニンフィア ) so it's very safe to assume it's a critical hit.
Google Translate to the rescue: Ivy per Yushiyo to come o_O

And if you write it sideways:

Can
Yu
's
Tooth
I
To
Oh
Was
Ivy

:mad:

Last edited:

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Google Translate to the rescue: Ivy per Yushiyo to come o_O
Google translate is horrible with Japanese. It seems to assume every possible word that can be made is the end of that word. An english equivalent would be taking let's say Sacred Sword and breaking it into "Sac Red S Word". Not a perfect example because Japanese can be jumbled way more than english, but you get the point.

uh because sylveon is like the king of the eeveeis

or certainly looks like more then just another eevee

-new eevees were introduced two at a time this eevee by itself
-fairy type which is a new type of which there has not been a new one in quite some time

so that is why sylveon is special and why it's stats could be higher then the other eevees. you never know.
Some real irrefutable evidence here

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes, and to anyone going to PAX: Use Sylveon's Fairy Wind on the Wild Exeggutor and try to get Sycamore's Crobat to use a Poison move on Sylveon as well.

People just don't use their brains. Nothing new.

I really do hope Fairy is not another Ice type. That'd be slightly upsetting.

I like the theory that rain may have been nerfed to a 1.3x boost. This would go along with GameFreak showing signs of competitive awareness like they have been doing so far(fairy type, bad pokemon getting amazing mega evos).

Likewise, Sylveon could be holding a new defensive item or defensive ability which still is an example of GameFreak trying to balance the metagame.

I think it is safe to say that Sylveon is specially bulky AND game mechanics have been changed in one way or another for that scenario.

I messaged my Japanese speaking friend the "critical hit" message, and will edit this post when he replies.

Edit: It wasn't very helpful....

"No one on smogon speaks japanese hahahaha

But it could mean so many things

It could mean: 'The (Kyushio? What is this) was hit.'

That's probably the one you're looking for in that context"

Last edited:

Finally some one who's thinking around here. Seriously two countries, high quality music and video rips, noticing differences in cries, and yet no one ever thinks, "gee I wonder what types fairy is good/weak against, I should try it out." If I were there I would bring a a piece of paper with an unfilled type chart and start filling things in based on observation.

Finally some one who's thinking around here. Seriously two countries, high quality music and video rips, noticing differences in cries, and yet no one ever thinks, "gee I wonder what types fairy is good/weak against, I should try it out." If I were there I would bring a a piece of paper with an unfilled type chart and start filling things in based on observation.
I would've done more or less the same thing. I hope this demo hits the eShop so we can all find out for ourselves.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
I like the theory that rain may have been nerfed to a 1.3x boost. This would go along with GameFreak showing signs of competitive awareness like they have been doing so far(fairy type, bad pokemon getting amazing mega evos).
I didn't even think about a change to Rain. It would make a lot of sense to do considering a few factors. Rain boosting the power of Water attacks really doesn't make sense in the first place and the same goes for Clear Skies boosting Fire moves. However, nerfing the power of Fire in Rain makes sense. With that and all those weather abilities, Rain & Sun really don't need a power-boost in the first place and that power-boost just seems like a leftover relic from Gen 2 before abilities existed.

I'm not going to get my hopes up but if they are going to balance Rain, removing the boost is probably the best way to do it. In fact, without the Rain boost, the calcs for that Hydro Pump crit seem a lot more believable.
252 SpAtk Life Orb Politoed Crit Hydro Pump vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Sylveon (+SpDef) : 60.41% - 71.07% [2 hits to KO]

I still believe the battle was rigged for Morimoto to win (GF Staff with a team of 6th Gen Pokemon losing would have been disappointing) but I guess we're leaving no stone unturned.

Those of you that that think sylveon has 130 base hp should look at the picture for shiny sylveon. It has 106 HP at level 30. The only way that can happen is if it has 95 or 110 base hp. Even with 0 ivs, you can't have 106 hp at level 30 with 130 base HP.

Also note that politoed has 197 HP at level 50. That means it has 31 iv and 252 evs in HP. There is no other way to get that HP stat. This definitely implies that the pokemon have high ivs and are ev trained. I highly doubt politoed, having 31 iv and 252 evs in HP, can be -SPA nature and have 0 ivs in SPA.

There is no way that Sylveon can survive that life orb boosted, rain boosted, critical hit hydro pump with a slightly less than half HP based on the current damage calculations and game mechanics.

I feel as the previous person said, rain might be nerfed to 1.3x or something.

Last edited:
Then do the calcs with Adaptability politoed in neutral weather. Adaptability would give Hydro Pump a 1.33x boost, close enough to the 1.3 boost we're talking about. And it already holds Life Orb so

Then do the calcs with Adaptability politoed in neutral weather. Adaptability would give Hydro Pump a 1.33x boost, close enough to the 1.3 boost we're talking about. And it already holds Life Orb so
Even that doesn't work: I assumed sylveon with 110 HP and 130 Special Defense calm all 31 ivs with 252 HP and 252 Special Defence. Politoed with modest 252 SPA all 31 ivs.

252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) on a critical hit: 190-224 (87.55 - 103.22%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO
VS
252+ SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) in rain on a critical hit: 211-250 (97.23 - 115.2%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO

Something is UP. But with 0 EVs in SPA for Politoed but 31 ivs in SPA:

0+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) on a critical hit: 146-172 (67.28 - 79.26%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
VS
0+ SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) in rain on a critical hit: 161-191 (74.19 - 88.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Its possible that rain might give x1.3 instead of x1.5, buts it's still too much damage

Last edited:
Even that doesn't work: I assumed sylveon with 110 HP and 130 Special Defense calm all 31 ivs with 252 HP and 252 Special Defence. Politoed with modest 252 SPA all 31 ivs.

252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) on a critical hit: 190-224 (87.55 - 103.22%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO
VS
252+ SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) in rain on a critical hit: 211-250 (97.23 - 115.2%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO

Something is UP. But with 0 EVs in SPA for Politoed but 31 ivs in SPA:

0+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) on a critical hit: 146-172 (67.28 - 79.26%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
VS
0+ SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) in rain on a critical hit: 161-191 (74.19 - 88.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Its possible that rain might give x1.3 instead of x1.5
I think we're on to something. Try 31 IVs 0 EVs Neutral nature. Toed had max HP so maybe it was a defensive set.

I think we're on to something. Try 31 IVs 0 EVs Neutral nature. Toed had max HP so maybe it was a defensive set.
Still its not accurate enough, too much damage

252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) on a critical hit: 172-203 (79.26 - 93.54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
VS
252 SpA Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) in rain on a critical hit: 191-226 (88.01 - 104.14%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

But if rain doesn't give x1.5 to water attacks then
0+ SpA(modest) Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) on a critical hit: 109-129 (50.23 - 59.44%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
VS
252 SpA (bold) Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) on a critical hit: 129-152 (59.44 - 70.04%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
VS
0 SpA(bold) Life Orb Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD (custom) on a critical hit: 101-121 (46.54 - 55.76%) -- 69.53% chance to 2HKO

That seems more accurate to the video

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a mystic E4, Psychic, Dark, Ghost and Fairy.

Also to answer the question about in-game team, mine will be Chespin, Torchic, Gogoat, a water type, a flyer, and a wildcard. It will be great to have two starters.
Well Psychic, Dark and Ghost were all in Gen 5, so you probably won't get at least one or two of those types again

Here's the full video of the Pokémon Game Show 2013 exhibition battle between "Yamamoto Hiroshi" and "Morimoto Shigeki":

And here's the battle log:
Blue Corner "Yamamoto": Gallade, Marowak, Politoed, Ferrothorn, Sableye, Kingdra
Red Corner "Morimoto": Malamar, Noivern, Pangoro, Sylveon, Talonflame, Gogoat

Start of turn 0
Yamamoto sent out Gallade (HP 175) and Marowak (HP 135)!
Morimoto sent out Malamar and Noivern!

Start of turn 1
: Marowak used Protect
: Noivern used Draco Meteor
Gallade took 96 damage!
Gallade's remaining HP: 79
Noivern's Sp. Atk fell by 2 stages!
: Malamar used Topsy-Turvy
Noivern's stat changes are reversed!
: Gallade used Trick Room
The dimensions are twisted.

Start of turn 2
: Marowak used Bonemerang
Malamar took 59% damage!
Malamar took 41% damage!
Malamar fainted.
: Gallade used Psycho Cut
Noivern took 40% damage!
: Noivern used Boomburst
Gallade took 79 damage!
Gallade fainted.
Marowak took 135 damage!
Marowak fainted.
Yamamoto replaced Marowak with Ferrothorn (HP 181).
Morimoto replaced Malamar with Pangoro.
Yamamoto replaced Gallade with Politoed (HP 197).
Politoed's Drizzle made it rain!
Rain is falling on the field.

Start of turn 3
: Ferrothorn used Power Whip
Pangoro took 50% damage!
: Pangoro used Hammer Arm
Ferrothorn took 118 damage!
Ferrothorn's remaining HP: 69
Pangoro's Speed fell!
Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs hit Pangoro for 12% damage!
Pangoro took 25% damage from Rocky Helmet!
Pangoro took 10% damage from Life Orb!
Pangoro's remaining HP: 3%
: Politoed used Ice Beam
Noivern took 60% damage!
Noivern fainted.
Politoed took 19 damage from Life Orb!
Politoed's remaining HP: 178
Morimoto replaced Noivern with Sylveon.

Start of turn 4
: Pangoro used Hammer Arm
Ferrothorn took 69 damage!
Ferrothorn fainted.
Pangoro's Speed fell!
Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs hit Pangoro for 3% damage!
Pangoro fainted.
: Politoed used Hydro Pump
Sylveon took 50% damage!
Politoed's remaining HP: 159
: Sylveon used Drain Kiss
Politoed took 64 damage!
Politoed's remaining HP: 95
Sylveon restored 23% HP.
Sylveon's remaining HP: 73%

Start of turn 5
: Politoed used Hydro Pump
Sylveon took 44% damage!
Sylveon's remaining HP: 29%
Politoed's remaining HP: 76
: Sylveon used Moonblast
Politoed took 76 damage!
Politoed fainted.

Morimoto wins 1-0

EDIT: Yamamoto's Politoed doesn't carry Adaptability, just to clear any confusion.

Last edited:
Calm 0 EV 31 IV Adaptability Life Orb Politoed critting with Hydro Pump against Calm Sylveon (110 HP 130 SDef) with 31 IV/252 EV in HP and SDef: 59% - 69.8%. Guaranteed 2KO.

Assuming a rigged game (so the worst damage roll was forced) that seems in line with what happened.

Calm 0 EV 31 IV Adaptability Life Orb Politoed critting with Hydro Pump against Calm Sylveon (110 HP 130 SDef) with 31 IV/252 EV in HP and SDef: 59% - 69.8%. Guaranteed 2KO.

Assuming a rigged game (so the worst damage roll was forced) that seems in line with what happened.
The range is too high. According to what Pika25 posted, we have 44% and 50% as the two percentages. I don't know why you're all working so hard to find out the specifics when Fairy could very easily change the IV system to accompany Hidden Power.

In the demo, is there anything stopping players from looking at the stats of Mega Mewtwo? Or does it only show base Mewtwo's stats?

The battle log says 50% damage.

If rain no longer boosts hydro pump by x1.5 then,

Calm 0 SpA EV 31 IV Life Orb Politoed critting with Hydro Pump against Calm Sylveon (110 HP 130 SDef) with 31 IV/252 EV in HP and SDef: 101-121 (46.54 - 55.76%) -- 69.53% chance to 2HKO

Fairly accurate. (no pun intended)

In the demo, is there anything stopping players from looking at the stats of Mega Mewtwo? Or does it only show base Mewtwo's stats?
The stats are locked in the demo, they can't be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)