Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, assuming Pangoro and Ferrothorn are both uninvested, it looks like Pangoro has around 130 Attack to deal 69% damage to Ferrothorn.

0 Atk (custom) Hammer Arm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 192-228 (66.43 - 78.89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
These Pokémon were definitely EVed. From the video we can ascertain:
Politoed had 252 HP EVs and a 31 IV.
Gallade had 252 HP EVs and a 31 IV.
Marowak had 0 HP EVs and a 31 IV.

Additionally, I can confirm Politoed did crit Sylveon. きゅうしょに あたった! is the correct text for a critical hit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even think about a change to Rain. It would make a lot of sense to do considering a few factors. Rain boosting the power of Water attacks really doesn't make sense in the first place and the same goes for Clear Skies boosting Fire moves. However, nerfing the power of Fire in Rain makes sense. With that and all those weather abilities, Rain & Sun really don't need a power-boost in the first place and that power-boost just seems like a leftover relic from Gen 2 before abilities existed.

I'm not going to get my hopes up but if they are going to balance Rain, removing the boost is probably the best way to do it. In fact, without the Rain boost, the calcs for that Hydro Pump crit seem a lot more believable.
252 SpAtk Life Orb Politoed Crit Hydro Pump vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Sylveon (+SpDef) : 60.41% - 71.07% [2 hits to KO]

I still believe the battle was rigged for Morimoto to win (GF Staff with a team of 6th Gen Pokemon losing would have been disappointing) but I guess we're leaving no stone unturned.
All they really had to do was change the cap on IV's or EV's.

So, assuming Pangoro and Ferrothorn are both uninvested, it looks like Pangoro has around 130 Attack to deal 69% damage to Ferrothorn.

0 Atk (custom) Hammer Arm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 192-228 (66.43 - 78.89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Seems like an Ursaring Clone

Marowak had 0 HP EVs and a 31 IV.

Additionally, I can confirm Sylveon did crit Politoed. きゅうしょに あたった! is the correct text for a critical hit.
I wonder how every pokemon has perfect ivs, how could they possibly have gotten them....*cough transfer from BW/BW2 *cough

I'm happy that Gamefreak actually plays competitively and acknowledges that there is a metagame, based on these IVs and EVs.

Additionally, I can confirm Sylveon did crit Politoed. きゅうしょに あたった! is the correct text for a critical hit.
Interesting. The first Hydro Pump did 50 % to Sylveon with a crit. Was the second Hydro Pump also a crit? It did 44 % according to Pika25 post.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hydro Pump crit from LO 0 SpA Bold Politoed vs. max/max 110/130 Calm Sylveon: 44.1 - 52.35%
Hydro Pump crit from LO 0 SpA Bold Politoed vs. max/max 95/130 Calm Sylveon: 47.46 - 56.34%
Hydro Pump crit from LO 252 SpA Modest Politoed vs. max/max 110/130 Calm Sylveon: 62.5 - 73.58%
Hydro Pump crit from LO 252 SpA Modest Politoed vs. max/max 95/130 Calm Sylveon: 67.25 - 79.18%

Three possibilities I can see:
1. Rain no longer boosts Water moves.
2. Sylveon has Multiscale as a hidden ability.
3. Critical hits have been nerfed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it outside the realm of possibilities that Sylveon might have Cloud Nine as its second ability? I don't trust the idea they simply removed rain's boost to Water attacks.

It also seems that Pangoro will have low speed because it outsped Ferrothorn after -1 speed in the Trick Room.

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would've done more or less the same thing. I hope this demo hits the eShop so we can all find out for ourselves.
I'm really hoping the same too!! But I doubt it and if it does I doubt it will come out for America. :(

I will say I am loving the fact that they are really not trying to show us anything until the game comes out. That's building a lot of excitement.

As far as I can tell, the only way these damage calculations make sense is if they removed rain's boost to Water-type attacks.

Hydro Pump crit from LO 0 SpA Bold Politoed vs. max/max 110/130 Calm Sylveon: 44.1 - 52.35%
Hydro Pump crit from LO 0 SpA Bold Politoed vs. max/max 95/130 Calm Sylveon: 47.46 - 56.34%
Hydro Pump crit from LO 252 SpA Modest Politoed vs. max/max 110/130 Calm Sylveon: 62.5 - 73.58%
Hydro Pump crit from LO 252 SpA Modest Politoed vs. max/max 95/130 Calm Sylveon: 67.25 - 79.18%

I guess it could also be possible they dropped critical hits to 1.5 normal damage...
the o
Is it outside the realm of possibilities that Sylveon might have Cloud Nine as its second ability? I don't trust the idea they simply removed rain's boost to Water attacks.
It would have popped up in battle like drizzle or drought

As far as I can see the second Hydro Pump wasn't a critical hit, yet did around 40% damage, compared to the critical hit which did 50% damage. If Sylveon had Multiscale it probably would have popped up like Iron Barbs did when Ferrothorn was attacked. Critical hits have probably been nerfed considering the rather small damage difference between the two Hydro Pumps.

Edit: Thanks, I thought you might have meant Politoed critted Sylveon but I had to be sure.

Last edited:
If they added sand storm's additional defense boost in DPPt, I'm sure they can nerf rain dance. But yes there could be other possibilities. I like the idea that critical hits could be nerfed. They did say pokemon amie can boost critical hit chances, so in order to balance its over abuse, they could have nerfed it as its probably easier to critical hit now.

As far as I can see the second Hydro Pump wasn't a critical hit, yet did around 40% damage, compared to the critical hit which did 50% damage. If Sylveon had Multiscale it probably would have popped up like Iron Barbs did when Ferrothorn was attacked. Critical hits have probably been nerfed considering the rather small damage difference between the two Hydro Pumps.

Kinda need confirmation on the crit thing though.
Read the bottom quote from Stellar
Additionally, I can confirm Politoed did crit Sylveon. きゅうしょに あたった! is the correct text for a critical hit.
EDIT: fixed stellar quote

Last edited:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
Err.. That was a huge typo on my part. I meant the first Hydro Pump was a critical hit against Sylveon. I've edited my original post.

Marowak had 0 HP EVs and a 31 IV
Oh Stellar, add that Ferrothorn has 181 HP, that means it also has 31 IVs and 252 HP EVs. Seems very likely that all the pokemon have perfect IVs and EVs in the right places.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
When I paused the video to mark Sylveon's full HP, CritHPump HP, Restored HP, and 2nd HPump HP, holding up a little piece of paper and making a mark each time, and then compared the two HPump hits, it sure does look to me like the Crit HPump did 1.5X what the non Crit HPump did. There are damage rolls and camera distance and perspective to take into account, but it sure does look like it to me. 1.5X Crits instead of 2X would be a fantastic step in the right direction!

When I paused the video to mark Sylveon's full HP, CritHPump HP, Restored HP, and 2nd HPump HP, holding up a little piece of paper and making a mark each time, and then compared the two HPump hits, it sure does look to me like the Crit HPump did 1.5X what the non Crit HPump did. There are damage rolls and camera distance and perspective to take into account, but it sure does look like it to me. 1.5X Crits instead of 2X would be a fantastic step in the right direction!
Like I said previously, we know for a fact that pokemon amie increases critical hit chances, from masuda. It would make sense to nerf critical hits if it will be more wide spread, to x1.5 than x2.

Anyone else impressed with how the moves look more than anything? I never thought Bonemerang could look so cool and fluid, and Boomburst just looks sick.

Also, in the demo, even Froakie's Water Pulse looks incredibly powerful.
Some attacks look sick (Close Combat, and freaking Power Whip), others not that much, but still good.
I also like how the weather stays in the field the whole time. Was one of the things that I expect GF to do this gen. Too bad they didn't do the same with Trick Room.

What about if Sylveon had Multiscale as its hidden ability or another new one with a similar effect?
The 2nd hydro pump wouldn't have done significantly less damage, if it was at half health with multiscale. The 2nd hydro pump would have KOed. Does Sylveon look like a pokemon with scales???? Reptiles have scales...sylveon is not a reptile.

We can only speculate given what we know...so I can't say anything about other new abilities.

The 2nd hydro pump wouldn't have done significantly less damage, if it was at half health with multiscale. The 2nd hydro pump would have KOed. Does Sylveon look like a pokemon with scales???? Reptiles have scales...sylveon is not a reptile.

We can only speculate given what we know...so I can't say anything about other new abilities.
Not only that, but why would Morimoto use a Sylveon with a DW ability after just revealing that it has Cute Charm? Doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:
In an ideal situation, we'd have multiple samples of people using standard Mewtwo Shadow Ball on Crobat, Thunderbolt on Chandelure, etc. and then have more samples of MegaMewtwo doing the same to see if damage output differs significantly, because these moves shouldn't KO. We might be able to get a feel for how much greater MegaMewtwo's Special Attack is.

But the first one crit and the second one did not.

I think the little cheering "rah-rah" phrases that follow all of the regular text add a lot of personality to the trainer. Ideally, we all want to be cheering our Pokémon on and encourage them to meet their fullest potential, and having little quirks that increases the livelihood/interactivity between player and Pokémon (such as thinking out loud about how much better your Pokémon looks after using a health item on them) creates a stronger connection with the game. Pokémon will always be bits of data, but the personality that the designers keep adding on to has detracted from that over time. I get that the trainer is supposed to be ever-silent, and having "you can do it!" not only breaks the illusion that we are our own trainer individual from other players, but also might come off as very anime-ish. However, I feel that it's very endearing, and I hope to see more varied cheers and praises by release time.

Last edited:
I think the little cheering "rah-rah" phrases that follow all of the regular text add a lot of personality to the trainer. Ideally, we all want to be cheering our Pokémon on and encourage them to meet their fullest potential, and having little quirks that increases the livelihood/interactivity between player and Pokémon (such as thinking out loud about how much better your Pokémon looks after using a health item on them) creates a stronger connection with the game. Pokémon will always be bits of data, but the personality that the designers keep adding on to has detracted from that over time. I get that the trainer is supposed to be ever-silent, and having "you can do it!" not only breaks the illusion that we are our own trainer individual from other players, but also might come off as very anime-ish. However, I feel that it's very endearing, and I hope to see more varied cheers and praises by release time.
Maybe we'll be able to customize our cheers, allowing further involvement of the player in the game. And then it doesn't have to sound like the anime. Ideally you would be able to change it if you got tired of it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)