Serious What to do about Bullying?

hmmm i think ill weigh in on this. i go to highschool, so i do witness some bullying (generally emotional, physical is either rarer or just well hidden). could i stop it as a third party? maybe. honestly though, unless it were happening to one of my friends i wouldnt care enough. its risking me getting some shit, and usually i feel neutral about or dislike the victim. so basically the risk isnt worth the reward to step in, and there isnt a reason to. i think that is part of the problem, and it will continue to be until a solution is found

Some responses to your misguided and dismissive post

- Where did I mention elementary school? I agree with you for the most part there, but high school students are old enough to know what they are fucking doing.

- ace matador hit the nail on the head, criminal charges do not necessarily lead to imprisonment. And some of the people I know who've been emotionally abused have ended up with permanent psychological damage. For every kid out there who gets through it and is stronger for the experience like me, there is another who has to deal with the issues caused by a bullies heinous actions for years after school.

- are you honestly naive enough to believe that students will not participate in such behaviors if the teachers are more respectable? One of my schools was a private school, where half my teachers were doctors. Yet, fucking surprise, the level of bullying there was pretty widespread and high. Just because the majority of the students respect their teachers doesnt mean that those who are engaging in destructive behaviour do.

- I never said that responding physically was a catch all solution. I was merely offering anecdotal evidence to suggest a solution that while unsatisfactory, has been somewhat successful for me in my past.

Your whole post reeks of someone who's never dealt with bullying personally tbh. I apologise if I am misguided, but everything you wrote consists of hypothetical paper solutions or ways of thinking that work amazingly in "ideal-land" but have very little real life application and practicality.
I clearly let my own perspective guide me a little too strongly here. For me, bullying is at a elementary / junior high level. This is the time I experienced bullying (as a victim and a bully) and have associated with bullying. I also routinely had problems with school administration just as often (hence my comments regarding increasing the standings of teachers / professionals). When comments are made regarding criminalizing bullying, I immediately retort. I am strongly opposed to criminalizing youth and think bullying should be dealt with on a case by case basis, rather than some policy of minimum punishment (which does exist in some cases). I'll agree that my post was pretty awful, but I don't think real life application and practicality should immediately mean criminalization. I think Aldaron's post presented far more interesting options than you and Ace Matador.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I was a bully in high school, and most other bullies I knew did not harass other kids from low self-esteem, but for the sensation of power they felt. These kids were usually pretty successful in school and in their social lives, and the bullying reflected that. You could tell the low self esteem bullies by their lower intelligence and self-destructive desire to get in trouble

As for myself, I enjoyed bullying out of a (maybe) misplaced sense of rebellion, as well as a little kick out of seeing someone else suffer. When kids tried to report me to the office, I would have a group of friends of mine that were on the football team brutalize them for me to teach them a lesson. If the kids stood up to me, I would humiliate them publically. If my victims tried to retaliate physically, it was easy for me to beat them up because I was 6 feet tall from the time I was 13. Ignoring me often lead to escalation on my part until they left school permanently. Teachers often dismissed my misbehavior because I was an avid and active class participant, in some cases the only one. They didn't see a mean, immature asshole, they saw the only kid in class who seemed to care about learning. I was also class president, so if I chose to make my bullying covert, I intrinsically had more credibility than my victim. "How could I do THAT? I'm the class president for god's sake, I have a reputation to uphold" etc. Adults were easy to manipulate as a teenager because they usually assumed to best of me. It was the glasses, I think.

My parents did not condone my activities, and on the rare occasion the school called home they were inclined to believe the administration over me. All that said to adolescent me was, "be meaner so whoever ratted me out learns their lesson, and don't get caught." After a while, kids learn who the office will fuck and who gets off scot free.

I guess the point of my post is, bullies aren't always easy to stop and often are bullies purely out of happenstance. If I had been smaller or had less friends or less influence over my teachers I probably would not have been a bully. Escalation is usually enough to scare another high school kid out of telling on a bully, and in my experience I have never seen a victim defeat his bully in a physical or social confrontation. I don't think adding "serious consequences" would help, because I was threatened with jail time/expulsion when I was 15 by the school administration for bullying a seniors my freshman year and all that happened was he got beaten up a lot more often by a lot more people. Nobody got in trouble because everyone only beat him up once, and I was never mentioned in the same breath as him by the faculty again.

My belief is that bullying will happen no matter what. It is a natural part of the human condition that always has been and always will be.
From what I observed, a lot of prefects do bully other classmates. And they have a good way to block anyone else from reporting to the teachers.

One thing I don't understand though, some people who had bullied me actually scored higher in exams than I did, and the same people came from families of higher social status compared to me. Do you have any clue?

Bullying is a form of forcing a heigherarchy. As muchas we dont want to realize it we humans are still animals and animals in social groups keep hiegherarchies. We have tried to keep a society in which we are "all equal" and sadly we are not. Not that that means anyone is bad but some are not as strong mentally or physically. What can be taken away from bullying is to strengthen yourself mentally. Much like a dog in a pack, the dog who acts out and bites and yelps them most is most often the weakest, and seeks a strong leader. the ones they bite at are the ones they fear. If one who is being bullied is not ready yet to be a strong leader and shut down the agressor, seek out a "pack leader" who can help work out the system.

Bullying is a form of forcing a heigherarchy. As muchas we dont want to realize it we humans are still animals and animals in social groups keep hiegherarchies. We have tried to keep a society in which we are "all equal" and sadly we are not. Not that that means anyone is bad but some are not as strong mentally or physically. What can be taken away from bullying is to strengthen yourself mentally. Much like a dog in a pack, the dog who acts out and bites and yelps them most is most often the weakest, and seeks a strong leader. the ones they bite at are the ones they fear. If one who is being bullied is not ready yet to be a strong leader and shut down the agressor, seek out a "pack leader" who can help work out the system.
This is a classic example of the Naturalistic Fallacy.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
jynx said:
From what I observed, a lot of prefects do bully other classmates. And they have a good way to block anyone else from reporting to the teachers.
is it bad that I only know what a prefect is like from harry potter w/e

In all seriousness, I don't have much comment on bullying. Some things have happened to me that I guess could be called bullying, but ignoring + the occasional stfu worked out fine. I haven't any particularly bad things happen.

Cresselia~~

is it bad that I only know what a prefect is like from harry potter w/e

In all seriousness, I don't have much comment on bullying. Some things have happened to me that I guess could be called bullying, but ignoring + the occasional stfu worked out fine. I haven't any particularly bad things happen.
Because even schools in the UK have started to abandon the prefect system. (by the time I get to the UK)
Hong Kong got the prefect system back then and continued with it. (Don't know about now, but when I was young, it was still there.)

i havent read most of the topic except for the first page, but i guess ill post my experiences with it

first off- my mom was a substitute teacher for years for our local school district. she was always fair and the kids she taught loved her (sometimes more than the actual teacher) because she wouldn't take shit and was quick to help kids that seemed like they were having a hard time. one day however there was one kid that was a star player in football and actually threatened her. so she calmly wrote him up (though she told me she was ready to call somebody on him) and he went to the principals office. he came back and was like "you tried to get me in trouble teach" because the principal didn't want to push charges or whatever on the kid because he was, again a star football player. there were a few more incidents like this after the more unruly ones found out about it and she eventually quit subbing.

now for my personal experience with bullying- i had some bad dandruff in middle school, kinda kept quiet and liked pokemon, which is obviously a recipe for disaster. not only did i get continuous shit about liking pokemon, they would bring styrofoam peanuts to school and mock me for my dandruff, even though i did a pretty good job of keeping it under control (imo anyway). i kinda took this for a while and didn't say anything, but about halfway through the school year i talked to the vice principal about it, and he said he'd 'look in to it'. nothing happened. i asked again with the same results. after the third time he wouldn't even see me, so i just had to deal with continuous shit throughout middle school.

so yeah im going to echo the sentiments that teachers are severely undervalued and kids are treated like they don't know squat even though the whole reason schools exist is to mold students into respectable members of society ah wait nvm i got that wrong; schools only exist to prepare kids for standardized, multiple choice tests. parents are a problem, but it's a problem that can be circumvented by teachers with actual power within the school and better principals/disciplinary actions.

in short: bring back the paddle

I was a bully in high school, and most other bullies I knew did not harass other kids from low self-esteem, but for the sensation of power they felt. These kids were usually pretty successful in school and in their social lives, and the bullying reflected that. You could tell the low self esteem bullies by their lower intelligence and self-destructive desire to get in trouble

As for myself, I enjoyed bullying out of a (maybe) misplaced sense of rebellion, as well as a little kick out of seeing someone else suffer. When kids tried to report me to the office, I would have a group of friends of mine that were on the football team brutalize them for me to teach them a lesson. If the kids stood up to me, I would humiliate them publically. If my victims tried to retaliate physically, it was easy for me to beat them up because I was 6 feet tall from the time I was 13. Ignoring me often lead to escalation on my part until they left school permanently. Teachers often dismissed my misbehavior because I was an avid and active class participant, in some cases the only one. They didn't see a mean, immature asshole, they saw the only kid in class who seemed to care about learning. I was also class president, so if I chose to make my bullying covert, I intrinsically had more credibility than my victim. "How could I do THAT? I'm the class president for god's sake, I have a reputation to uphold" etc. Adults were easy to manipulate as a teenager because they usually assumed to best of me. It was the glasses, I think.

My parents did not condone my activities, and on the rare occasion the school called home they were inclined to believe the administration over me. All that said to adolescent me was, "be meaner so whoever ratted me out learns their lesson, and don't get caught." After a while, kids learn who the office will fuck and who gets off scot free.

I guess the point of my post is, bullies aren't always easy to stop and often are bullies purely out of happenstance. If I had been smaller or had less friends or less influence over my teachers I probably would not have been a bully. Escalation is usually enough to scare another high school kid out of telling on a bully, and in my experience I have never seen a victim defeat his bully in a physical or social confrontation. I don't think adding "serious consequences" would help, because I was threatened with jail time/expulsion when I was 15 by the school administration for bullying a seniors my freshman year and all that happened was he got beaten up a lot more often by a lot more people. Nobody got in trouble because everyone only beat him up once, and I was never mentioned in the same breath as him by the faculty again.

My belief is that bullying will happen no matter what. It is a natural part of the human condition that always has been and always will be.
What made you stop bullying?

i kinda took this for a while and didn't say anything, but about halfway through the school year i talked to the vice principal about it, and he said he'd 'look in to it'. nothing happened. i asked again with the same results. after the third time he wouldn't even see me, so i just had to deal with continuous shit throughout middle school.
Are you sure they didn't do anything? What I've heard from people who've been teachers is that they often have to deal with a conflict with each individual one by one, and even that may not succeed. I'm not saying that this necessarily happened, but it seems presumptuous to claim that nothing happened.

Cresselia~~

i havent read most of the topic except for the first page, but i guess ill post my experiences with it

first off- my mom was a substitute teacher for years for our local school district. she was always fair and the kids she taught loved her (sometimes more than the actual teacher) because she wouldn't take shit and was quick to help kids that seemed like they were having a hard time. one day however there was one kid that was a star player in football and actually threatened her. so she calmly wrote him up (though she told me she was ready to call somebody on him) and he went to the principals office. he came back and was like "you tried to get me in trouble teach" because the principal didn't want to push charges or whatever on the kid because he was, again a star football player. there were a few more incidents like this after the more unruly ones found out about it and she eventually quit subbing.

now for my personal experience with bullying- i had some bad dandruff in middle school, kinda kept quiet and liked pokemon, which is obviously a recipe for disaster. not only did i get continuous shit about liking pokemon, they would bring styrofoam peanuts to school and mock me for my dandruff, even though i did a pretty good job of keeping it under control (imo anyway). i kinda took this for a while and didn't say anything, but about halfway through the school year i talked to the vice principal about it, and he said he'd 'look in to it'. nothing happened. i asked again with the same results. after the third time he wouldn't even see me, so i just had to deal with continuous shit throughout middle school.

so yeah im going to echo the sentiments that teachers are severely undervalued and kids are treated like they don't know squat even though the whole reason schools exist is to mold students into respectable members of society ah wait nvm i got that wrong; schools only exist to prepare kids for standardized, multiple choice tests. parents are a problem, but it's a problem that can be circumvented by teachers with actual power within the school and better principals/disciplinary actions.

in short: bring back the paddle
So if I had read this right... it's a STUDENT threatening a (sub)TEACHER?

Why doesn't the principal want to place charges on a star football player?
Punishment does not have to be suspension.

Actually, why is sports so big in America?
A school is meant to be an academic place.

they probably did sit down and talk to individual students, but on my end nothing changed. hopefully the football craze is better in other parts of the country but it just so happens that we lived in oxford, where everyone is dead serious about sports but not actually good at it. and as i said before, students are only taught for the tests so the school's test scores will look good. if EVERYONE is stupid then they just lower the standards; it's as simple as that.

Cresselia~~

they probably did sit down and talk to individual students, but on my end nothing changed. hopefully the football craze is better in other parts of the country but it just so happens that we lived in oxford, where everyone is dead serious about sports but not actually good at it. and as i said before, students are only taught for the tests so the school's test scores will look good. if EVERYONE is stupid then they just lower the standards; it's as simple as that.
But what about public exams and percentage of students getting into good universities?
Do they not have a national ranking for schools academically like UK and Hong Kong do?
In those 2 places, every school is ranked according to the public exams and they have a separate table for what percentage gets into Oxford/ Cambridge, etc.

Actually you aren't even the first American who told me about this football (or rugby) problem. (I've seen many) So I guess the craze is the same in the other parts of the country.
I know it's supposed to be good for physical health, but placing it above the teacher's hierarchy and the academic scores is just way off the bat.
How many of them would get to become a professional sports player anyway? Not many. But then, since their foundations in their education is not rigid enough (because they had spent a lot of their time in sports), these people usually end up neither advancing academically, nor in the sports field.
If they really are so talented, they would have been selected for the national coaching anyway.

Anyway, if they let him go inside school and fed him with all sorts of privileges, he'll just be one spoiled kid. Once he starts working for a job, he's going to learn his mistakes the hard way, because the society itself in return will punish him.

When being bullied, using violence is sometimes a better choice. One of my Japanese friends (In High School) got assualted by a group of other people going to school with him. Did he cry and run to a teacher? No. He ripped off a tree branch and went kendo ninja samurai marine on their asses. Did they bother him again? No. Now, am I saying that violence is a good idea most of the time? No, it is not. The reason being that most of the time, the bullies will either be:

1) 1 strong kid who seems to enjoy beating up the smaller kids around him.

2) A group of kids who close in on you and unscrew your head, and take turns shitting down your throat.

The one child being bullied has no chance of being able to use violence successfuly in either of these situations. It's like using a Piplup's Bubble against Kyogre.

However, there is a way to avoid bullies, not counting the method of reporting them. The most common method is to stay in a group. A single bully will hardly ever assualt an entire group of kids, simple. It draws way too much attention to that bully, and it's not going to work very well. Besides, he'll feel too intimidated to attack you. A group probably will feel the same way.

However, the main thing that children should do now is TELL SOMEONE.

The school counselor is there for a reason. If someone feels unconfortable due to harassment by another child, you need to report it. If the counselor does nothing about it, ask the people you are friendly with, for advice. The most common type of bullying is verbal abuse, and most of the time, if you ignore them or stop taking them seriously, they'll stop.

The best way to stop bullying is to hit back hit back hard, don't let your self to be alone and easy target the more you resist the more intimidated they will get, hopefully they will find someone weaker to bully, that might sound like some jungle surviving advice but recalling my school days, school wasn't but a urban disguised jungle

Last edited:

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The best way to stop bullying is to hit back hit back hard, don't let your self to be alone and easy target the more you resist the more intimidated they will get, hopefully they will find someone weaker to bully, that might sound like some jungle surviving advice but recalling my school days, school wasn't but a urban disguised jungle
Yes that works but you forgot something

95% of bullying cases where the bully is stronger than you
Tbh I was bullied a bit at the start of high school, best method is to stay in a group of friends, most of the time they only attack people who are alone
I tried giving hits back at first, but he was stronger and he quickly came with a bunch of friends, I got away with it tho by staying with friends and he forgot about me soon after that, but mostly because there were easier targets I guess

Yes that works but you forgot something

95% of bullying cases where the bully is stronger than you
Tbh I was bullied a bit at the start of high school, best method is to stay in a group of friends, most of the time they only attack people who are alone
I tried giving hits back at first, but he was stronger and he quickly came with a bunch of friends, I got away with it tho by staying with friends and he forgot about me soon after that, but mostly because there were easier targets I guess
Well if they are stronger hit harder if his friends come along hit even harder , they can't kill you right ? nor they can cause severe physical damage so why do you let them cause you psychological damage,i understand that they might be stronger or numerically superior and they can beat you every time but by keep on resisting you will fend them off over time tested.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
The problem is that for younger kids getting told off is pretty much the ultimate punishment in schools (even a detention :o) so by bullying you they get you in trouble if you: A) Fight back, B) Tell the teacher since they just lie about it or C) Tell your parents over it. And they get pleasure out of seeing you get in trouble and out of bullying you anyway. No, the current system is not good.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well if they are stronger hit harder if his friends come along hit even harder , they can't kill you right ? nor they can cause severe physical damage so why do you let them cause you psychological damage,i understand that they might be stronger or numerically superior and they can beat you every time but by keep on resisting you will fend them off over time tested.
lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)