School: University of Alberta
Year: Sophomore
Major: Undecided (probably physics)

CMPUT 274 —Introduction to Tangible Computing I
MATH 125 —Linear Algebra I
PHIL 120 —Symbolic Logic I
PHYS 261 —Physics of Energy

Okay I'll say a bit more.

The idea that people need general knowledge as well may fly in high school and even college, but when a university forces roughly 1/4 of your degree to be unneeded but required "extra" it's a big scam that nothing can be done about alone. That's the case here, at least.
I actually talked to my history professor about this. I go to a research university, and the revenue coming from the people who are majoring in the research majors are defiantly under the cost. So to supplement some of the cost Universities carefully select which departments get core classes.

If you want to get by some of the cost if you have the opportunity take as many possible credits as you can per semester(within reason) and take summer classes. At my University only charges students for the first 15 credits. And credit above that is considered "free", so student that can handle the extra load take an extra class. If you have a 3.5 GPA+ then you can get automatic approval to take overload. I have known people to take as much as 24 credits a semester.

The one thing I don't know anything about is how universities in America justifying rising tuition, so much. To a certain extent it is supply and demand at work. A lot of people want a college education and the demand curve is rather inelastic. I guess they could just make the classes harder and such, but that would then cut into their profits. I guess it is a never ending balancing act.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
random university in Hong Kong

Major: Biology
Year: Nah... don't ask this question to ladies...
Courses:
MBTE 4320 - Genetic Engineering
CMBI 4201 - Genomics and Transcriptomics
ELTU 2501 - Effective Oral Communication I
FREN 1000 - French I
BCHE 2030 - Biochemistry

yall some goons with some hardass schedules i have like

online bio 101 - i was supposed to take like a pre-course for this during the summer and havent even started it yet LOL
a boring teaching class about reading levels
a boring teaching class about ethical teaching methods
student teaching - i dont have a car for college so how the fuck am i gonna get there LOL
_____ - i dont even remember this course all i know is im supposed to have 13 credits total so i assume this is the other 4 credit class (student teachings a good old zero) my guess is some english class or something

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
The Diversity of Life, Animal Behaviour to Environmental Conservation, Cell Biology and Physiology, Genetics and Microbiology

last one sounds legit

Last edited:
Wondering if any of you had dealt with something like this before..

My younger sister is in college now and needs to prove she took a certain class in high school so she can be allowed to skip a lower level class and go on to the normal level class. She is confident she took the class in high school, but for some reason on her transcript that was sent to the college, it shows there was no record of her taking the course.

Here is where it MIGHT be tricky and matter. We moved halfway through her junior year in high school, she took the required course in our old high school and not the most current one where the transcript ended up coming from. Would this be the issue? Would she need to contact our old high school in order to prove she took the specific class? Or is she just mistaken, and she never took the course? I'm hoping someone could shed some light on this as it would be a bummer for her to spend time and money on a class that she really shouldn't be wasting her time on.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
School: Sheridan College
Program: Veterinary Technician
Year: 1

My Fall Schedule:

- Parasitology (SCIE 10199)
- Intro To Veterinary Technology (SCIE 14444)
- Veterinary Anatomy & Physiology 1 (ANAT 18823)
- Animal Handling & Behaviour (SCIE 19999)
- Essential Communication Skills (COMM 19999)
- Pharmacy Math (MATH 16532)
- Human Relations (HUMN 16693G)

Basically, it's gonna be a pretty loaded semester with 7 courses, most of them also having labs along with them. But the upside is that the program is only 2 years, which is why everything is so packed together. Regardless of how tough it's gonna be, I'm actually pretty excited about this program, since not only do I absolutely love animals, but I'm also getting a second chance at post-secondary education. I had to drop out of university because I didn't enjoy a single thing about it, but I feel like this time it might actually work out, since I'm going into something I've always enjoyed.

Wondering if any of you had dealt with something like this before..

My younger sister is in college now and needs to prove she took a certain class in high school so she can be allowed to skip a lower level class and go on to the normal level class. She is confident she took the class in high school, but for some reason on her transcript that was sent to the college, it shows there was no record of her taking the course.

Here is where it MIGHT be tricky and matter. We moved halfway through her junior year in high school, she took the required course in our old high school and not the most current one where the transcript ended up coming from. Would this be the issue? Would she need to contact our old high school in order to prove she took the specific class? Or is she just mistaken, and she never took the course? I'm hoping someone could shed some light on this as it would be a bummer for her to spend time and money on a class that she really shouldn't be wasting her time on.
Has she tried contacting her current high school to see if they simply made an error on her transcript? If not, she could probably try explaining the situation to them, and get the current high school to contact the old high school to confirm that she took the course. It's worth a shot, because the transcripts aren't always right. If I remember correctly, when I submitted my transcript to the college application website (OCAS for me), after the transcript showed up on the website, it did say to review the transcript that showed up just to make sure that everything was correct.

Cresselia~~

School: Sheridan College
Program: Veterinary Technician
Year: 1

My Fall Schedule:

- Parasitology (SCIE 10199)
- Intro To Veterinary Technology (SCIE 14444)
- Veterinary Anatomy & Physiology 1 (ANAT 18823)
- Animal Handling & Behaviour (SCIE 19999)
- Essential Communication Skills (COMM 19999)
- Pharmacy Math (MATH 16532)
- Human Relations (HUMN 16693G)

Basically, it's gonna be a pretty loaded semester with 7 courses, most of them also having labs along with them. But the upside is that the program is only 2 years, which is why everything is so packed together. Regardless of how tough it's gonna be, I'm actually pretty excited about this program, since not only do I absolutely love animals, but I'm also getting a second chance at post-secondary education. I had to drop out of university because I didn't enjoy a single thing about it, but I feel like this time it might actually work out, since I'm going into something I've always enjoyed.

Has she tried contacting her current high school to see if they simply made an error on her transcript? If not, she could probably try explaining the situation to them, and get the current high school to contact the old high school to confirm that she took the course. It's worth a shot, because the transcripts aren't always right. If I remember correctly, when I submitted my transcript to the college application website (OCAS for me), after the transcript showed up on the website, it did say to review the transcript that showed up just to make sure that everything was correct.
Ah... good luck in anatomy.
I used to study Veterinary Medicine, but I quit after 2 years.

Parasitology was easy though.
Also, since your course jams physiology and anatomy into the same course, it is possible to use the physiology part to pull up your marks. (physiology is really easy)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
ALL MY PANTHERS HIT ME UP

HAIL TO PITT

Anyway:
CHEM 0110 - general chemistry 1
ENGCMP 0200 - seminar in composition
FP 0001 - some pass/fail one credit course lol
LING 0231 - modern Greek - my uncle and grandfather both go to Greece fairly often and my grandfather was born there, so it's not just a random language class for me.
MUSIC 0211 - intro to western art music, a.k.a. my blowoff class because I couldn't get into a real music class :(

I really fucked up scheduling my classes, so some days are going to be easy and some (read: Wednesday - four hour chem lab at 8 AM...) are going to be hell.

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Ah... good luck in anatomy.
I used to study Veterinary Medicine, but I quit after 2 years.

Parasitology was easy though.
Also, since your course jams physiology and anatomy into the same course, it is possible to use the physiology part to pull up your marks. (physiology is really easy)
Well, that's good to know. To be fair though, the classes I'm taking will probably be a little less rigorous than the ones you took, since it sounds like you did veterinary medicine at the university level.

Major: Biomedical Engineering
Mah nigga
Georgia Tech
MAH NIGGA

School: Georgia Tech
Year: Junior
Major: Biomedical Engineering

Classes:
BMED 2300: Problems and Design in Biomedical Engineering
BMED 2210: Conservation Principles in Biomedical Engineering
MATH 2403: Differential Equations
COE 2001: Statics
INTA 1110: International Relationships

Diff EQs and Statics make for the last of my general engineering background classes. International Relationships is just an easy addition to get our social science requirement out of the way. BMED 2300 and 2210 are where things get interesting!

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
soph
differential equations, micro econ, developmental psych, latin american lit

afraid as fuck of differential equations u.u

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
soph
differential equations, micro econ, developmental psych, latin american lit

afraid as fuck of differential equations u.u
Diff eq is so simple you have no idea. If you got through calc II you can get through this one. Just gotta memorize a few formulas for different equations and you're set for the year.

Cresselia~~

Well, that's good to know. To be fair though, the classes I'm taking will probably be a little less rigorous than the ones you took, since it sounds like you did veterinary medicine at the university level.
True, and I also hope so.
Back then some horrid professor forced us to memorize the names of every single muscle in a dog, bones in a dog, together with arteries and veins (including which splits into which).
And the exam questions were like "Name the muscle that is above the muscle Deltoidea.", "Which artery supplies blood to deltoidea?" "Which muscles are on the bone ulna?"

So I was like, nope. The excuse he gave me was, "when you become a vet, when you are doing an operation, vets tell other vets where to cut by the name of the muscle."
I was like , no. I worked in an animal clinic in Britain before, they just said "cut here".

I just simply don't think that the Western side of the planet would teach anatomy like this.

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
True, and I also hope so.
Back then some horrid professor forced us to memorize the names of every single muscle in a dog, bones in a dog, together with arteries and veins (including which splits into which).
And the exam questions were like "Name the muscle that is above the muscle Deltoidea.", "Which artery supplies blood to deltoidea?" "Which muscles are on the bone ulna?"

So I was like, nope. The excuse he gave me was, "when you become a vet, when you are doing an operation, vets tell other vets where to cut by the name of the muscle."
I was like , no. I worked in an animal clinic in Britain before, they just said "cut here".

I just simply don't think that the Western side of the planet would teach anatomy like this.
Wow...and that's just the anatomy of a dog. Was it just the anatomy of a dog that you had to learn in that particular class, or was there a lot of other animals you had to learn the anatomy of as well? Luckily, I'm not too bad at memorizing, but those exam questions you mentioned sound an awful lot like multiple choice questions, which makes it much more of a pain in the ass thanks to the wording. Haha, I'm hoping they ease up a little on the multiple choice questions in college, since they spammed them on every exam in university.

Cresselia~~

Wow...and that's just the anatomy of a dog. Was it just the anatomy of a dog that you had to learn in that particular class, or was there a lot of other animals you had to learn the anatomy of as well? Luckily, I'm not too bad at memorizing, but those exam questions you mentioned sound an awful lot like multiple choice questions, which makes it much more of a pain in the ass thanks to the wording. Haha, I'm hoping they ease up a little on the multiple choice questions in college, since they spammed them on every exam in university.
They taught only the dog. But then, there's only some small differences in the cat.

Oh... back then they were fill in the blank questions with nothing to choose from. :p
I know, it was like hell.

Any UMD Comp Sci or Math Majors here?

School: University of Maryland: College Park
Year: Senior
Major: Computer Science and Math

Classes:
CMSC412: Operating Systems (crying)
CMSC451: Algorithms
AMSC466: Numerical Analysis (ugh ... )
EDCI243: Literature, Mass Media, and Schooling (Easy literature core!)
KNES131V: Jogging :D

I'm already a pretty good runner, so I probably should have taken something new like Raquetball. Still looking forward to it though.

And for any UMD freshies, I'll be a TA for MATH140 (Calc I) this semester.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
School: Duke University
Year: sophomore
Major: some combination of BME/ECE/Physics (most likely BME/ECE double major)

Physics 161: Mechanics for physics majors
Math 221: Linear Algebra for math majors
Math 356: Elementary differential equations for math majors
BME 244: biostatistics and quantitative physiology
ECE 110: fundamentals of electrical circuits
Physics 131: Introduction to big questions (1 credit-hour course, not really a big commitment, but taught by the head of the particle physics department!!)

the hardest part of this schedule will be balancing the lab times of the BME ECE and physics classes with the difficulty of the math classes. math for engineers is a cakewalk but math for math majors is required for the physics major, so this is the only way to keep that door open.

buuuuut, I won't be pledging this semester and I'll have pledges to cook for me and do my laundry, so I should be able to succeed.
oh dude which 221 section are you in (Idk if there are even more than one)? I'm taking that class too

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
school: University of Wisconsin Stevens Point
year: junior
major: biology with emphasis in zoology

history 101- world history to 1500
biology 130 - plant biology
poli 101 - american politics
nres 150 - people, resources and the biosphere

classes suck since im a transfer student and get second last pick for classes :(

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Material Science: I like it, because it's so far chemistry, but will branch into physics later on.
Organic Chemistry: I like it, because it's chemistry. What sick person hates chemistry?
Statics: I like it, because it's basically physics.
"There are 2 formulas you must know. ∑F = 0, ∑p = 0. That's it, you're done, semester over." ~Statics Teacher
Circuits: I like it, because it's mostly online, and there's also a lab every Thursday.
Applied Physiology: Meh.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
School: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Year: Senior
Major: Computer Science

Software Design and Documentation
Intro to Artificial Intelligence
Quantitative Analysis
Earth and Sky

All I have left to take in order to graduate are CS classes and free electives. SD&D is a required course, so while its not necessarily my first choice, I kinda have to take it. Also, its really important when it comes to actually doing stuff once you get a job, so... yeah. Intro to AI just sounded the most fun of all the CS options, so hopefully that will be enjoyable. I believe Quantitative Analysis will qualify me for an Econ minor, so that's why that is in there. As for Earth and Sky... low level astronomy courses are fun, easy, and fill elective requirements.

School: University of California San Diego (UCSD)
Year: Junior
Major: Bioengineering

BENG 101 - Foundations of Biomedical Imaging
BENG 110 - Continuum Mechanics
HILD 7A - Race and Ethnicity in the United States
MAE 170 - Experimental Techniques

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)