Bummer's Art Shack

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And the next issue has gone live!

I think maybe one thing to fix would be in the bottom left panel, where his left arm looks like it is held a little too low. His upper arm does extend as low as in other panels, but I think when you're pushing your hands together like in his pose you don't hold your upper arm against your side, so it goes out a bit and a little higher.
It just looked a little unnatural to me and I think that's why.
Thanks for pointing this out, I did work on it before posting the final rendition and I hope I fixed it. Even forgot to post it here, heh ugh.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oh dear heavens has it been a month already

I really should get to work on the my next strips this week, heh ugh.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Why haven't I seen these sooner? Your artworks are awesome! I'm an aspiring comic artist myself and is new to digital art, so seeing these inspires me.

Luvdisc'd ^_^

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
man your Biology art are always amazing! I love your Doubles art, too (thanks!) ~ ROFL @ the gem art piece xD. In all of your artwork, there's always something funny or precious about them (Munchlax <3)

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Hey, I love your newest Rare Candy Treatment strip; I was obsessed with Pokestar studios for like a day and then I gave up. Some guy online said he did every title with every possible response from the audience, but I have a feeling that he might not be human, because I'm pretty sure that would take at least five years to do.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how awesome I think your art is in general and how smart all your comic is. I think it could rank right up there with something like Calvin and Hobbes, for the Pokemon player demographic, at least. You're a genius :)

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I love love love your smog illustrations. I love how you vary your style and still keep it yours. Your colour choices are always great. You always produce so much work! It is really amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your work with us :)
(I nearly lost it when, after so many articles with your art, you had icons with expressions for your arterview!)

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
A fellow forumgoer made me a sig, so I returned the favor.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how awesome I think your art is in general and how smart all your comic is. I think it could rank right up there with something like Calvin and Hobbes, for the Pokemon player demographic, at least.
Thank you! I'm a huge fan of C&H, so seeing someone connecting my work with that comic is a real compliment. And now that you've said it to me you don't need to repeat that opinion elsewhere. :V

I love love love your smog illustrations. I love how you vary your style and still keep it yours. Your colour choices are always great. You always produce so much work! It is really amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your work with us :)
(I nearly lost it when, after so many articles with your art, you had icons with expressions for your arterview!)
oh gosh .///.

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Hey dude, the smog stuff is really sweet :D Ive been trying out firealpaca and I like it a lot; there's nothing bad I can say about it, simple to use clean interface with just enough tools to get the job done. And if there's any extra effects I wanna add to something I can just transfer over to Gimp. Anyway, hope you're doin well ^_^

Bummer

Jamming to the beat

Celeyoda for Joim's May Mayhem seasonal theme.

Hey dude, the smog stuff is really sweet :D Ive been trying out firealpaca and I like it a lot; there's nothing bad I can say about it, simple to use clean interface with just enough tools to get the job done. And if there's any extra effects I wanna add to something I can just transfer over to Gimp. Anyway, hope you're doin well ^_^
Oh good, glad someone's using it. Maybe we later we could write down some tuts to help people get started, I like the potential of it.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
The 27th Issue of The Smog was released today. Several of them ended up being last minute jobs even though the issue was postponed several days after their completion. :V

I would say that you are an expert at your craft. The expressions on your characters are not only genuine, but original. Where did you learn to draw expressions like that?

I find myself not being able to draw believable expressions. Is it just raw experience or is their a method to the madness?

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
New strip, going back to my usual "silly battle situation" approach.

I find myself not being able to draw believable expressions. Is it just raw experience or is their a method to the madness?
Faces is something that deserves a lot of attention since that's where the readers will look, so even the smallest changes (eye size and shape, angle of the mouth, small wrinkles) can help in adjusting the expression to make it accomplish what you want. Right now, it's mostly experience, although knowing how the face behaves during different expressions certainly helps and can be translated to non-human creatures and obstacles as well.

Practise leads to experience. See how other artists do it and then see if there's anything you can pick up or learn from it.

Gonna post this comic strip. Was one of my favs!
That one is still somewhat of an odd memory of mine seeing as its original last panel happened to be a accidental copy of Awkward Zombie's battle strip, but since I already had stuff drawn out I figured I'd throw something else together. Glad you still like it, even though it's definitely one of my older productions.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
LOL

They should really make Bonemerang an exclusive Ground move that can hit Flying / Levitating mons ;d

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
My native forum is having its annual boss theme for forum signatures, so I've helped out by doing requests. Technically not art and more like image manipulation, but it feels nice to revisit my old sigmaking habits. The images are linked to the source images I used.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Forever amazed by the many styles of Bummer and awesome art that you can produce in such a short time too! Needs more RCT though ^_^

I see, hope I can master expressions and do them as effortlessly as you do. The pic harbinger of peace posted is a good example of what I'm talking about.

Also, you should get paid for what you do.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey Bummer, i don't know if you accept requests, but i would like a logo for the OU Theorymon thread i will be posting this weak. It can be anything you want as long as the ''theorymon'' changes are obvious. For example, an Arcanine with a sunny background for Drought, a new characteristic that showcases a mon's new added typing, etc.

Oh and if it wasn't clear, i didn't mention that i will be posting the thread in this weak to give you a time limit. Obviously, you can take as much time as you want.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
Hey Bummer, i don't know if you accept requests
I do, but it largely depends on my own jurisdiction, and I'm afraid I need to pass on this one since I have plenty of others things waiting on my table. As for the request itself, I'd suggest incorporating somehow that it's all theory, and not just drawing awesome mons, but that's my opinion.

also I guess I should bump this thread with new content, I've even participated in three more smog issues heh ugh. Have some art I made for Doubles Viability thread and Tournament Tours.

Pocket

Man you've been such a constant presence on Smogon that I think we are taking your artwork for granted these days. I just like to again extend my thanks for all the awesome art you have pumped for Doubles and The Smog! I love your distinct personal touch of Pokemon :D

I am not sure if it's allowed to post your artwork here, but here are my faves from the last three issues. I can delete them if you want to display them at your own convenience:

Issue 30
Beginner's Guide to Trick Room

NU's Top Threats: How do they fare in RU

Metagame Comparison: DPP UU vs BW RU

Pokemon Origins

Issue 31
Pokemon Trivia

Why Choose Doubles for Gen 6?

Thoughts on Round 11 of the Suspect Test

ADV and DPP Underdogs That Would Be Threats in GSC

CAP Pokemon in the CAP Metagame

Issue 32
What are Checks and Counters?

BW2 RU Suspect Results

Plus drops some bars of soap

Next Generation Anime Style Battling

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
aww you guise

Been trying do some stuff I've been putting off for a while, so here goes.

New logo for Art for Articles Mk II. We've changed the contributor requirements, so I figured we could start out anew in another thread. Also, bearded Smeargle is arguable the best Smeargle.

I also posted a small tutorial in the Professor Smeargle thread, along with some links to acquiring Photoshop CS2 for anyone's interested to try it. Hope you find them useful!

I was a fan of the RCT before I was ever on Smogon and connected it to the name Bummer. They are hilarious and my favourite part visually is the cartoony-realistic style, which is a welcome change from the ubiquitous anime look. Some of my personal favourite comics have been asshat and Regice showering. Also:

This is a perfect incarnation of Layell. Bless you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)