Nintendo 2DS

Cereza

Tastes Like Candy
why should i buy this again? I mean, I already have a 3DS and a DSi...I just don't get it.

Fugly design and they're still not adding a second circle pad, wtf really? Move the abxy buttons down and put another circle pad there...

That being said, if I didn't have a 3DS I'd probably consider it despite appearances, I rarely use the 3d function on mine anyways since it's too gimmicky for me, and on most games just blurs anyways since you have to have it at just the right angle to work. But come on, no 2nd circle pad, that's just sad...

I've had a 3DS since launch, but this may be good news if it means my Broke Ass Friends will finally be able to play ACNL/X&Y/Kid Icarus with me.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
The thing with this console is the DS' niche is being portable right? This is really big and it doesn't even fold...

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The idea is that's it's simpler and targeted at new players / broke players. There are warnings all over the 3DS packaging and even in the system that 3D might not be healthy for younger people, but since "OMG 3D :3" they'll end up using it anyway, so this eliminates that need.

I don't care about the 3D function, and the backwards compatibility would be nice, but I'm not sure I would consider buying this (if i hadn't already bought a 3DS). Also it doesn't look too portable and is ugly AF. Nintendo always does weird shit like this.

I do think it makes sense for younger kids though like Articblast said

This thing is so ugly. That's pretty much the only reason I wouldn't buy this if I didn't already have a 3DS. I could deal with only having one speaker and no 3D (I never use the 3D anyway), but the wedge shaped tablet design is just disgusting. I do understand that there's a target audience for this though.

I wonder if this will have decent shoulder buttons. Probably not though, since every Nintendo handheld ever has had terribly flimsy shoulder buttons.

It's for parents with children ages 5-12 obviously. It's one of those cases of "so stupid, it's brilliant."

Nintendo had all the news diarrhea today, and there wasn't even a direct...

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
As a 3DS owner I'd like to say that I never really use the 3D function: I don't see much of a reason to.

However the problem with making this is that their target audience, who would have a reason to buy this over the 3DS/3DS XL, is really small and the product is really really niche. Add in the fact that 5 isn't that far from 7 and, if parents were really that paranoid about not using the 3D, they could just set up parental controls on the 3DS, and you have something that is absolutely useless.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I suppose it is convenient timing; being released just before X&Y, games from a series that really is marketed at kids, and a kid-friendly console.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Won't buy one until the foldable version comes out. Regarding size though, is the 3DS really that big? It's more compact than the 2DS when you want to store it. Cool idea, bad execution. Unless we're missing something they didn't tell us.

edit @Arcticblast what if I want another one?

Last edited:
If it was foldable than you wouldn't be able to tell who is cheap because they are hiding the 2ds in their pocket.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
For people complaining about the folding, I was under the impression that since 2DS is geared at children (since their eyes are more vulnerable to the side effects of 3D), they decided to also take away the folding for them too. I can understand why it might seem kind of stupid, since it makes the screen more vulnerable to scratching since it's always exposed now, but at the same time, it sounds like kids are pretty reckless with the hinges on the 3DS (at least from what I've read on some sites, though I find the hinges pretty durable). I guess Nintendo figured that it's better to just get rid of the hinges all together so the kids won't be able to break the system quite as easily.

I definitely understand kids being pretty reckless with the hinges though, because their curiosity gets the best of them, especially if the kid brings it to school, and they let everyone touch it and such to show off. It's like getting a new pair of those flexible glasses and letting the kids at school touch them to show the glasses off. Those kids WILL test the limit of those glasses and end up breaking them.

And besides, I don't know if a regular folded 3DS would even fit in a child's pocket anyway considering their clothes are so small. They'd probably end up putting it in their backpack or carrying case of some kind whether it was a 3DS or a 2DS.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to make this post from the point of view of someone wearing glasses.

I don't wear glasses, but my older brother has poor eyesight and therefore has to wear glasses. His glasses make the 3DS's 3D get to the point to where he just can't use it at all because either his eyes will hurt instantaneously, or at least far quicker than someone who doesn't wear glasses. Trust me, he tried playing my 3DS with 3D on. He got a headache after like 5 to 10 minutes. Though I'd assume different prescriptions work differently with the 3DS, my brother's prescription basically renders it unusable. A blog post about the Nintendo 3DS's 3D written by someone who wears glasses.

My brother seems to be in a similar boat. So, basically, he would HAVE to play the 3DS with the 3D either off or so minimal it would probably barely even be noticeable, which basically eliminates the purpose of having the 3D in the first place. Since the 2DS is cheaper and my brother would never use the 3D on the 3DS anyway, the 2DS would appeal to him if a game came out on the 3DS that he absolutely wanted.

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have had the Blue 3DS and now have the Pikachu XL and I can say that I've truly never found a reason to use the 3D functionality. Obviously Nintendo is taking the right direction because this will save them a ton of money and increase their profits (Same release date as X/Y, $129, people can't complain about 3D).

I'll be honest and say I was not too fond of the design at first but yesterday I was holding a Wii U gamepad and I was surprised to find that it was comfortable and light. I feel like this is the idea they had in mind for this. Thinking of that concept made me like it a little more. I doubt there will be an XL version because the screens look about the same size as the XL.

I will definitely be getting this for my little brothers rather than getting them 3DS's like I had originally planned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)