"Overall, I had an Ice Time": My OU Mono-Ice Experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okuu

Blame [me] for Global Warming!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
Current Discussion Topics: Why NU Hail Stall strategies in OU (kinda) work, Using a Cloyster in a way it was never meant to be used, and Smooth Jazz.

And more!

Since I haven't posted here since the Mollux CAP discussion, and have only been sporadically on Showdown within the past 2-3 weeks, I figure a re-introduction of sorts is in order. I'm Ataraxia, formerly Elite Four Lorelei, formerly Okuu, one of the somewhat-older staff members of Showdown. Unofficially, I'm the moderator-moderator of Showdown(If you've got problems with another staff member, or need spammers muted, or just need another moderator in chat, I'm one of the people to go to). I also mess around a bit on OU, tending to avoid common meta strategies and instead make stupid teams to teach ladder players about threats that they would never consider. I've also been mostly missing from Showdown for the past 9 or so months, and will probably continue to be largely not-present for months to come. However, in the free time I've managed to scrounge together, I came up with a fun challenge for myself:

200 battles, all in OU Current, with this team:

That's right, Mono-Ice in OU Current (as in, not OU Monotype). For many people, running into this team was a joyous occasion. Some people enjoyed the unique sorts of challenges this team brought. I mean, what better to break up the monotony of Steel types and top thirty OU choices than a Mono-Ice team featuring Pokemon from NU / UU / BL? Other people enjoyed the basically-free win that they thought they were guaranteed by facing against a team full of the worst defensive typing (Ice) in the game. And a few more people just liked seeing a Showdown! staff member in 'action'. Whatever the reasons were, fun was had by many.

Team in detail:

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard / Icy Wind (With Timid Nature and maxed SpAtk in lieu of Atk)
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Teambuilder was a continuous friend and valuable resource for me. I constantly tweaked multiple aspects of my team. Sometimes to react to common threats, and sometimes just to see if different ideas worked better. Though I kept the same 6 Pokemon the entire time, I would alter things like their stats and moves to aid my quest to (what I hoped would be) 200 straight victories. That said, Froslass was one of the Pokemon that I rarely made changes to. It was my dedicated lead, and Spikes/Taunt/Destiny Bond didn't leave it for a moment.

For my first 105 battles, it was amazing at predictive counterplay: constantly ruining the opponent's set-ups, forcing switches, and sacrificing itself to kill whatever happened to attack it (be it weather starters or set-up-mons or priority sweepers who didn't know how Destiny Bond works). Interestingly, at that point, Froslass was officially moved out of UU into BL. This led to many more people knowing about it, understanding how it works, and learning how to play against it. Coincidentally, my success rate with it plummeted. Still, it presented itself as a fantastic threat, and Mono-Ice doesn't have many Pokemon as good as preventing opponents from setting up hazards as Froslass.

My only real debate when it came to changing things was Ice Shard versus Icy Wind. All in all, I liked Ice Shard better: it generally 2HKO'd Aerodactyl, annihilated any Ninjasks, and could net some decent damage against dragons if I somehow didn't get to Destiny Bond with it earlier. Icy Wind did get a decent application in crippling a Tyranitar, but the fact that it has a 90% hit rate ultimately pushed me away from it.

Also, it's still hilarious whenever anyone attempts to Fake Out / Mach Punch / other fighting move against Froslass. Free set-up turn!

Abomasnow @ Leftovers / Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd (varying with other movesets / items)
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard / Blizzard (with Modest nature and max'd SpAtk in lieu of Atk)
- Earthquake / Brick Break
- Protect / Wood Hammer / HP Fire (with Modest nature and max'd SpAtk in lieu of Atk)
- Leech Seed / Giga Drain (with Modest nature and max'd SpAtk in lieu of Atk)

Hail is one of those things that's almost unanimously understood to be underpowered. With Snow Cloak banned, it only serves to minorly annoy any Pokemon that isn't an Ice type, to trigger the Ice Body ability of 4 pokemon that loiter around the NU/UU regions of the metagame, and to maximize Blizzard's accuracy. It offers no defensive benefits, no offensive benefits, and doesn't assist your typical multi-type team in any way/shape/form. Even the Pokemon that insta-Hail is attached to is generally understood as underpowered.

Fortunately, for Abomasnow, it features a diverse enough movepool to end up suffering a major case of 4-moveslot syndrome. Depending on what you want it to do, it can stall, it can tank, or it can surprise a hapless switch-in. For the majority of my battles, I stuck with Ice Shard / EQ / Protect / Leech Seed. It led to Abomasnow becoming a fairly useful scout, surprise Garchomp killer, surprise Heatran-switchin killer, and a nice way to force an incoming Tyranitar to switch right back out (getting Seeded). It still ended up dying just about as often as Froslass did, but it could put a solid dent in an opponent, and it usually ended up winning the weather war. Whether that weather war was won with my team composition, my "skill" as a trainer, or the opponent's lack of caring about Hail in general, I have yet to find out.

Cloyster @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Poison Jab

"Oh, that's how you wo... wait, is that a Scarf?"

With Cloyster receiving the gift of Skill Link and Shell Smash, it immediately became a threat to OU. People actually started learning what White Herbs did, and actually using them. With doubled speed and attack through Shell Smash, Rock Blast, and STAB Icicle Spear, a single Cloyster could mow down an entire team with nary a second thought. All it had to do was use Shell Smash, and survive. That sort of threat forced many people to alter their teams to combat it. Hazards became slightly more prioritized, just for the chance of breaking a potential Focus Sash sitting on a Cloyster. Multiple Pokemon received priority moves, just to potentially break a Cloyster open. More pokemon learned crippling moves like Thunder Wave to hopefully stop a near-genocidal Cloyster in its tracks.

And of course, the correct way to counter that sort of counter play is... with more counter-play. Enter Scarf Cloyster. Even Smogon's OU Analysis of Cloyster warns against using this strategy, claiming that Cloyster is too weak alone to do any serious damage without a Shell Smash behind it. Sadly, that aspect is true. I couldn't exactly switch this into a Tyranitar and kill it unaided with a single Icicle Spear. Two could do the job, but a single Stone Edge would be enough to end those aspirations. However, Scarf Cloyster can be applied in many hilarious ways. It rips apart your typical special sweepers like Alakazam / Gengar / Espeon, just about every Dragon type in OU, any Grass type you'll find not under Sunny Day, and many more that I can't recall. My favorite trick with Scarf Cloyster is against Ninetales: a single Rock Blast to the face will obliterate the typical Ninetales attempting to Will-o-Wisp in fear of a Shell Smash. Switch in Abomasnow after that, and laugh at their now-irrelevant Venusaur / Sawsbuck / Lilligant.

All in all, Cloyster was one of the main damage dealers here. It finished the majority of the games, but I had to soften some of the harder-to-crack threats beforehand.

Kyurem-Black @ Expert Belt / Choice Scarf
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd (at times, I'd go for the Atk max instead)
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- Earth Power / Hidden Power Fire
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Fusion Bolt

Back when I was doing that "OU" ladder (not OU Current), I used to use a regular Kyurem in this slot, with a SpAtk build. I ultimately switched to Kyu-B for the increased defense boost and the stat-boosted Electric attack. Still, I didn't want to lose Blizzard / Earth Power, so I turned Kyu-B into a mixed sweeper of sorts. I first experimented with Outrage, but ultimately didn't like it as I had the worst luck with confusion, getting 2 turns when I wanted 3, getting 3 turns when I wanted 2, etc. Dragon Claw pretty much served my purposes of ripping Dragon types in half and putting large dents in stuff that wasn't weak to the remainder of the moves I had on. Fusion Bolt worked miracles against Tentacruels / Politoeds / Keldeos (assuming I could survive an attack from one), and Blizzard end up being my go-to move. I was also an idiot, and forgot about Teravolt, so there were many cases when I would Dragon Claw into a Rotom, unaware that I could've probably one-shotted it with Earth Power instead.

I'm aware that there's currently discussion about whether or not Kyu-B should stay in OU or get moved back into Ubers, so I might as well use this space to explain my side. Kyu-B is powerful, but it's incredibly frail. No matter what additional type you throw onto it, Ice is just a poor defensive type. Without some sort of bulk, you're going to die in a hit or two. With Rocks out, it'll only take a single hit from your common threats. Not only is it frail, but it's slow to boot. Even with maximum investments in Speed and a benefiting nature, it still gets outsped by many common Steel/Fighting/Rock users, and often beaten to death with Priority moves. You basically are forced to either scarf it and hold it back until you wipe out anything that would survive an Outrage, or to play defensively with it (Sub/Roost). I tried to find value for it as a mixed sweeper, but the fact that it dies against just about any revenge killer tends to prevent any such opportunity.

Regice @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]

If my OU Mono-Ice run taught me any one lesson, it's that Regice is a boss. Without a doubt, Regice was the main damage-dealer of the team. I would attribute this mainly to absolutely nobody knowing how to deal with a Regice. With 80/100/200 defenses and 50/100/50 offenses, Regice naturally plays the role of a Sp.Def tank, akin to Blissey. Even without any noteworthy SpDef boosting, it can usually tank 2 Sun-boosted Flamethrowers from a Timid 252SpAtk Ninetales, and still send out a Thunder Wave. And with 80/100 Physical defenses, it can take a minor beating from non-steel/fire/fighting physical moves as well.

Regice was slow as sin, but it could usually survive a hit or five, and fire back with some impressive moves of its own. It could actually outspeed Forretress and OHKO (or trigger Sturdy on) it with HP Fire. It could take a single Bullet Punch from a Scizor and also OHKO with HP Fire (after a turn of Hail damage). Thunderbolt could generally 2HKO a Tentacruel / Politoed / Jellicent / Starmie / Skarmory (Guaranteed after a turn or two of Hail Damage, if necessary). And just think of all of the Dragons that were repeatedly ended by Blizzard. I'd see a Scarf Latios switch in, minorly dent Regice with a Draco Meteor, then get one-shotted in return, with Regice only missing ~25% HP for the trouble.

Sadly, as I was running a Mono-Ice team, I was cripplingly weak to physical Fighting/Rock/Steel/Fire moves, and Regice was no exception to that. If I could predict a switch-in to a Pokemon like Scizor/Tyranitar/Terrakion, I had Thunder Wave at the ready to cripple that threat. If necessary, Regice would even die for the cause, eager to let Kyurem-B earn the now-practically-guaranteed revenge kill.

Walrein @ Leftovers
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Toxic / Blizzard / Super Fang
- Protect
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Toxic / Yawn

Of course, what Ice team could possibly leave out Stallrein? Likely the main reason that Snow Warning users were booted from lower-tier games, Walrein had a patented strategy of spamming Substitute/Protect repeatedly, re-healing the 25% after two moves (via Ice Body in Hail and Leftovers) to create a brand new Substitute the instant after the old one died. If the opposing Pokemon didn't have Leftovers or was burned/poisoned/had a Life Orb on, then you could effectively stall it to death. Most people are well aware of this strategy, and try to do anything necessary to avoid dying by it. That's a fairly easy thing to achieve, as they generally just have to switch into a Pokemon with Leftovers, and somehow avoid being Toxic'd (be a Steel type).

However, I didn't always run Toxic on Walrein. I originally started off with Blizzard and Toxic, but I didn't like the fact that the Pokemon that could generally avoid being poisoned were also generally resistant to Blizzard. So, I switched out Toxic entirely, and added HP Fire instead. See, I was in the habit of switching Walrein into opposing Scizors, in order to tank a few Bullet Punches for the team. However, when it came to Walrein's turn to choose a move, I had nothing to use. HP Fire took care of that issue, while Blizzard was able to handle Pokemon like the Genies.

I then learned that Walrein might suffer from an even worse case of 4 moveslot syndrome than Abomasnow, as I found myself in a few stall battles that I couldn't win, thanks to Toxic no longer being a part of my moveset. I tinkered around with other options, and discovered that Yawn, while forcing a lot of switches, doesn't really help when I don't have much of a reliable way to both set up hazards and avoid opposing hazards (Froslass is amazing, but I can only expect so much out of it). Super Fang was a neat option, but accuracy was an issue at times, and was never a clean kill / disable when I needed one. Near the end of this experiment, I switched to HP Fire and Toxic, deciding that other Pokemon on the team are probably better adapted to abusing Ice-type moves than Walrein.

Of course, you're not really having fun battling unless you're winning, right?

The actual score of concern is that 'oucurrent' score. Even though the 'ou' score below that was also earned entirely with a Mono-Ice team... but I'll say more about that later. Yeah, the ladder has been slightly inflated as of recently. I'm not entirely sure why myself, but last time I did any serious ladder battles, it was still possible to lose rank even after a victory, so I imagine the recent influx of 2300-2900 scores is due in part to that. You can see here that ~1800 Glicko2 now correlates to about a 50% win rate, so all in all, I performed about on par with the rest of the community on Showdown. I ended up with a 99/101/0 record after my 200 battles, due in part to a 10 battle losing streak right after my 92nd victory.

Yeah, it's not even a 50% win rate. It's actually 49.5%, but it's still not 50%. Even though I'm just under that 50% win rate, it still represents the fact that I beat (just about) half of the teams I've faced. And with 200 total battles in, that deviation is incredibly low. Much lower than you'll find anywhere near the top of the ladder. After all, bad luck and bad prediction have to happen eventually. Also, with that GXE of 77, I'm apparently predicted to be able to beat 77% of all of the players on the ladder... not bad for a team as janky as this one!

So, are you worried that I was just beating on other weak, janky teams?

In all 200 of those battles, I fought against a single Mono-Dragon team. After picking off the Cloyster threats, I had Cloyster sweep. Other than that, every team I fought was either a Sand team (approx. 45%), a Rain team (approx. 35%), a non-weather full-OU team (approx. 10%), a Sun team (approx. 10%), a Hail team (1 occurrence), or a UU-esque team (3-5 occurrences). And when I say Sand/Rain/Sun teams, I mean that you're going to find 90% of their Pokemon on that team solidly perched in the OU tier. There might be the odd Lilligant on a Sun Team, or a Machamp wherever it wants to be.

I will tell you now, 200 battles of seeing mostly the same 50 Pokemon in slightly different team compositions can be mentally draining. I've avoided this in the past by not doing nearly this many battles in any stretch, or by hiding in Hackmons, where the 'meta' changes every time somebody jumps on the ladder with a different team. This is actually the main reason why I wanted to post this: to show you that doing something completely off-the-wall in Teambuilder can actually be pretty fun.

Not only was it fun, but it was far more effective than I imagined. About 100 teams, the wide majority of which wouldn't look out of place in the top ranks of an OU tournament, fell to a Mono-Ice team. People as high up as the 2170 ranks lost. I was honestly expecting fewer than 50 total wins out of this, so the fact that I basically doubled that prediction still astounds me. I could attribute part of it to just not knowing how some of the Pokemon that I used worked: I've had people attempt to Fake Out my Froslass, or smack it the next turn with a Bullet Punch when I had used Destiny Bond at the end of my last turn, or gape in awe as Regice heals back almost all of the damage that it took from a Rain-boosted Scald with only its Leftovers. Part of it could be explained by the weird strategies I used: Who expects a Walrein to 1-2HKO a Scizor? What kind of moron puts a Scarf on a Cloyster? What kind of moron doesn't put a Scarf on an all-offensive Kyu-B?

And finally, it was a fantastic learning opportunity for the 200 opponents I faced, as well as for myself. I got a large taste of the OU climate, and they learned a thing or two about Pokemon that didn't even enter their thought processes during team building. In general, the more talkative opponents all loved the idea of using weird teams like this, and only one opponent replied something along the lines of "bg only took 14 turns to beat you" (if I didn't say it before, Scarfed Terrakion / Jirachi / Keldeo / Landorus hit like a truck of bricks careening into a glass wall).

Oh yeah, and that 'ou' record from before? That was way back when we didn't have an 'oucurrent' tier, and when I was experimenting with running Mamoswine / Kyurem / Jynx while in the midst of messing around in OU with weird teams. All of those ended up being mono-ice battles, as I never felt like using my 'proper' team.

Attachments

How big of a problem generally were fighting types? You DID have both Froslass and Walrein, but it makes you predictable every time a fighting type switches in. I had the same trouble using my Mono-Rock team in regular OU. (To an even worse extent, because no rock pokemon can take fighting type moves)

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Interesting post.
Anyways rock is the worst defensive type in the current OU metagame, not ice.
Quick homework for you. List out the resistances of Rock v/s Ice.

Moving on to the Team:
Really nice experiment with some of the few stupidly hard to use pokemon in the current metagame. And do not kid youself Abomasnow is a bag of shit who'll lose 9/10 weather battles (v/s opponents with similar skill). I'm surprised and applaud you at your consistency at winning weather wars.
Though I think it IS near-impossible to achieve better consistency in this kind of a challenge considering any team with Scizor/Terrak just mows you down, even if you just give them ONE free turn, I still think there are some potential changes you could play around with to see if you can achieve new heights.

1. A Spinner

Considering you have upto 4 potential mons with Scarf/Sash, this should immediately set off the alarm bells for you.Couple that with the nasty 2x Rocks damage and you have 2 negative win conditions even before you start any standard OU match.

Delibird Cloyster @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rapid Spin
- Shell Smash
- Spikes/Rock Blast

Something which I would try in place of your frankly gimmicky scarf set. While I admit I might nastily surprise most people I would become a liability unless played at the very best moment, since Cloyster gets raped by every OU scarfer in existence.
You might question why I have Spikes as a preferred option considering you have a froslass. The answer is people can see a froslass lead from a mile away, and froslass isn't exactly the most reliable lead (even though underrated as hell), it's UU for a reason. Cloyster gives you a backup hazards option, very important considering SubStall makes up a major part of your mid-game strategy, losing froslass to a misplay Stone Edge/Bullet Punch no longer means an early GG, you can still improvise.
Cloyster is a great lead v/s a lot of common OU mons forcing them to play mindgames b/w taunt/hazard/offense. Simply clicking Icicle Spear will fuck up any taunting terrakion/phazing Skarmory, often depriving your opponent from hazards.

Apart from that there are some ther changes but I'm not sure how much they'd be of benefit.

These primarily being incorporating Mamoswine in your team which eliminates Abomasnow's Rabid 4MSS while also providing very much needed ground STAB (relying solely on Abomasnow to deal with Tran is suicidal rofl) and EdgeQuake/Superpower, and Maybe even Stealth rocks to ease up your Kyu-B lategame sweep.

Last edited:
Well, he said "in the current OU metagame", and according to some calculations, he's right:
(higher number: a larger portion of the attacks used in the metagame supereffect this type)

21.25 - Rck
19.70 - Grd
17.52 - Ice
11.96 - Nrm
09.66 - Drk
01.52 - Gho
-00.26 - Grs
-00.39 - Fly
-02.95 - Psy
-04.09 - Elc
-08.05 - Ftg
-10.08 - Bug
-10.57 - Psn
-13.04 - Drg
-13.68 - Fir
-19.00 - Wtr
-23.61 - Stl

You don't take just types into account, you have to take in their offensive frequency too.

edit: sigfigs

Last edited:

Okuu

Blame [me] for Global Warming!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
Interesting post.
Anyways rock is the worst defensive type in the current OU metagame, not ice.
Depends on what you (and I) mean by 'worst defensive type'. And fortunately, I saved myself by saying 'game' rather than 'meta-game' when I made my statement.

* Rock has the most weaknesses of any type in the game (Fighting, Ground, Steel, Water, Grass), but it also has four resistances to help compound that (Normal, Flying, Poison, Fire). Rock is actually tied with Grass regarding weaknesses and resistances.

* Ice has four weaknesses (Fighting, Rock, Steel, Fire), but only has one resistance (Ice).

For both of those typings, the 'weakness' types are all incredibly prevalent in the meta-game, with Fighting/Ground/Fire being the three types that are Super-Effective against Steel.

How big of a problem generally were fighting types? You DID have both Froslass and Walrein, but it makes you predictable every time a fighting type switches in. I had the same trouble using my Mono-Rock team in regular OU. (To an even worse extent, because no rock pokemon can take fighting type moves)
For Fighting-type Pokemon, I didn't really have any Psychic/Flying type moves to hit them for SE damage. However, beyond Terrakion / Keldeo / Toxicroak / Breloom, I didn't see any Fighters that I couldn't 'handle' with other moves. For instance, a Blizzard could usually one-shot Breloom, and Earthquake would generally do the same to a Toxicroak. Regardless of what moves I had, a Scarf'd Terrakion / Keldeo would typically make me cry. Froslass would typically be dead by the time either of those would come out, and my only remaining priority user would be Abomasnow. Everything else would generally be oneshotted by Secret Swords and Close Combats (especially after rocks). However, that was part of the risk of running the team I did. With that risk came the reward of reliably shutting down weather-reliant Pokemon like the Genies (save for Scarf'd Landy) and Chlorophyll sweepers.

Rather than worrying about Fighting-type Pokemon, I worried about fighting type moves. See, most people don't like to deviate much from what's on a Smogon moveset. If a Pokemon tends to include Fighting moves in their moveset (Superpower on Scizor), then I'd have to find a way to deal with that eventually. With my being able to see the opposing team members pre-battle, I can identify which Pokemon of theirs I need to soften up / weaken, and which of mine I need to keep alive and healthy. Part of the advantage of using a Mono-type team is that if part of their team is weak to that type, there is no way they can avoid that weakness, save for a 6-0 sweep. With a typical team, they would generally have 1-3 checks/counters for a specific Pokemon, and then end up having to cave in to it. However, when all of their Scizors and Keldeos and Terrakions and Tyranitars are dead, then I can steamroll over the Celebis and the Brelooms and the Thunduruses.

You're right in that having such a limited team makes my switch-ins predictable. If an opponent seems like they're going to use a Fighting attack, rocks aren't out, and Froslass is alive, then of course I'd switch into it. I did have a bit of help in that few of my Pokemon are ones that aren't commonly known. I doubt most players would know that a Regice makes for an incredible Special sponge. I also helped myself out by giving my teammates unorthodox moves. Yeah, Walrein seems like a fairly sensible switch-in to a Scizor. But would that Scizor expect to eat an HP Fire that very next turn? Also, prediction on my own behalf was rather helpful. Not every Pokemon I was against was an immediate threat. Heck, opponents that just blew a Draco Meteor on a Regice would typically want to switch out right away, giving me a free move. With Regice's diverse movepool, I could make the best guess as to what I could use, be it a TWave or a 180 BP 100% acc Blizzard to the face.

That said, Sand teams were by and far the hardest opponents to face. They're generally built with 3-4 extremely threatening Pokemon, and even their weather-starters could easily kill a teammate or three of my own. Not to mention the Sp.Def boost that Sand grants to all of their Rock types.

Moving on to the Team:
Really nice experiment with some of the few stupidly hard to use pokemon in the current metagame. And do not kid youself Abomasnow is a bag of shit who'll lose 9/10 weather battles (v/s opponents with similar skill). I'm surprised and applaud you at your consistency at winning weather wars.
Though I think it IS near-impossible to achieve better consistency in this kind of a challenge considering any team with Scizor/Terrak just mows you down, even if you just give them ONE free turn, I still think there are some potential changes you could play around with to see if you can achieve new heights.

1. A Spinner

Considering you have upto 4 potential mons with Scarf/Sash, this should immediately set off the alarm bells for you.Couple that with the nasty 2x Rocks damage and you have 2 negative win conditions even before you start any standard OU match.

Delibird Cloyster @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rapid Spin
- Shell Smash
- Spikes/Rock Blast

Something which I would try in place of your frankly gimmicky scarf set. While I admit I might nastily surprise most people I would become a liability unless played at the very best moment, since Cloyster gets raped by every OU scarfer in existence.
You might question why I have Spikes as a preferred option considering you have a froslass. The answer is people can see a froslass lead from a mile away, and froslass isn't exactly the most reliable lead (even though underrated as hell), it's UU for a reason. Cloyster gives you a backup hazards option, very important considering SubStall makes up a major part of your mid-game strategy, losing froslass to a misplay Stone Edge/Bullet Punch no longer means an early GG, you can still improvise.
Cloyster is a great lead v/s a lot of common OU mons forcing them to play mindgames b/w taunt/hazard/offense. Simply clicking Icicle Spear will fuck up any taunting terrakion/phazing Skarmory, often depriving your opponent from hazards.

Apart from that there are some ther changes but I'm not sure how much they'd be of benefit.

These primarily being incorporating Mamoswine in your team which eliminates Abomasnow's Rabid 4MSS while also providing very much needed ground STAB (relying solely on Abomasnow to deal with Tran is suicidal rofl) and EdgeQuake/Superpower, and Maybe even Stealth rocks to ease up your Kyu-B lategame sweep.
That Delibird moveset actually looks quite potent! Back when I first developed my Mono-Ice team, well before this challenge, I ran a Shell Smash Cloyster with Sash. I then realized that I didn't have a spinner to break the rocks that would break the sash, so I instead decided to Scarf it and ignore the problem entirely. Your suggestion here actually addresses that original issue, and deals with it in a fantastic way. Of course, it's still vulnerable to 'hit it down to sash, priority to death' play, but that's how Cloyster rolls.

As for Mamoswine, I was actually half-considering removing Walrein, and putting in an Eviolite Piloswine, just to see how well that could tank damage instead. The issue with Mamoswine is that I wouldn't know what to remove to make room for it. With Ice being so ridiculously frail on both the physical and the special ends of the spectrum, having a dedicated Physical Wall and a Special Wall are practically necessary. Since I'm in OU, having a utility lead and a weather starter are similar priorities (going Hailless for Mono-Ice just sounds silly). And since I want to be able to kill things, having dedicated sweepers is also important. Mamoswine, fits comfortably between those roles, but doesn't seem to shine in any one specific area. I might redo the entire team paradigm to include Pokemon I wasn't able to, like Jynx and Mamoswine, but with the team roles set as they are, it's hard to find a valid replacement for any single Pokemon, without altering the other Pokemon on the team beforehand.

Have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using a monotype Ice team in OU as well, which is more or less Kyurem-B and five support mons. Physically defensive Cloyster with Rapid Spin/Icicle Spear/Toxic Spikes/[attacking move] does quite well as a spinner.

run ice shard or rapid spin over poison jab on cloyster. you are hitting absolutelzy nothing and ice shard lets you revenge kill +1 salamence or chomp, whereas a quick rapid spin could prove more helpful than posion jab in certain situations

also isnt this more fit for the rmt forums

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yea this should be in the RMT forum as its not a discussion thread, just a "look at my mono ice team".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)