Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, you guys are saying that dark became a bad type.....i disagree.

It has good coverage with fairy or fighting, and dark moves are powerfull with some strategy(someone said in this thread before that dark types doesn't play fair, and i agree lol) like pursuit, foul plat, etc. Not good defensive but has an immunitie to a type that was once really powerfull(and if I'm right, it could become a little better now)...also, this statement below complemens what i'm saying

How so...? Dark-typed moves will be even more spammable now that Steel doesn't resist their STABs.
Dark is not a great type anymore...but if you want a balanced metagame, it shouldn't be..but it's not a horrible type either.

I think game freak balanced things right now....impossible to get "perfect balance"..but there's not one type REALLY good now or that bad.

to answer fat The Agonist, both dark and steel types are more common in higher tiers where psychic is rare.

But in lower tiers where there's less dark and steel, and more psychic...they can shine a little more =p

"So, ya like forcing switches with iron head, eh?"

"Hey man, I don't want any trouble man......."

"
Shaddup bitch. I'm gonna teach you a lesson you won't soon forget."
Lol no. Jirachi out speeds Tar and commonly runs Paralyzingly moves anyway. Tar has too much risk against Jirachi and will almost always lose. It's not like Celebi, who's SE STAB is cushioned by sandstorm.

Dark-types are fairly common in lower tiers too.
10 in UU .....but just 4 in RU, didnt count NU, lazy =p

but all of this can change in the next metagame, if they wanted to indirect buff psychic...there might be good psychic pokes and moves introduced this gen, and less dark ones.

We will have to wait....after all, the balance in the type chart alone won't fix everything, we for sure can expect some change and good pokes for underused types.

Also, am I the only one who can't help but see that Mega Garchomp is wearing a jacket or coat or something? It has shoulder pads and spiky lapel things, plus the red on his chest looks like some kind of shirt.

Lol no. Jirachi out speeds Tar and commonly runs Paralyzingly moves anyway. Tar has too much risk against Jirachi and will almost always lose. It's not like Celebi, who's SE STAB is cushioned by sandstorm.

Seriously, 'doe. With a life orb and a bit of prior damage, Weavile knocks Jirachi the fuck out if it tries to switch. Sadly if it doesn't then Weavile likely dies to a Iron Head, but hey, at least Weavile actually stands a chance.

Dark/Fighting core still seems like it'll be a strong combo honestly. Just gotta carry a poison or steel move on top of that to take care of fairies.

Gen VI's metagame is really setting out to be ultra offensive. I wonder if Politoed's low damaging Hydro Pumps on Sylveon are any indication of an attempt to balance offense.

Seriously, 'doe. With a life orb and a bit of prior damage, Weavile knocks Jirachi the fuck out if it tries to switch. Sadly if it doesn't then Weavile likely dies to a Iron Head, but hey, at least Weavile actually stands a chance.

I hope Weavile gets a MEvo!!! Sneasel was my first shiny and i have him as a lv 100 weavile now! I reeeeaaally want an megaevolution for my pink shiny poke =p

Weavile will almost never find itself in a situation where it threatens to pursue Jirachi. It isn't switching into defensive sets because it fears Wave/Body Slam/Iron Head; SubCM has the protection of both Sub and Flash Cannon; ScarfJirachi spams Iron Head frequently. I guess it could take out a ScarfJirachi locked on Ice Punch but that's it.

Gen VI's metagame is really setting out to be ultra offensive. I wonder if Politoed's low damaging Hydro Pumps on Sylveon are any indication of an attempt to balance offense.
If that calculations saiyng that Super effective damage was nerfed is right...so that might be the balance ^^

A supposed offensive metagame, but things dont die quickly because SE damage nerfed....giving defensive strategies a chance too.

How is it ultra offensive? It was offensive in the previous metagame because of outrage, draco meteor, close combat, hydro pump and hurricane. With dragon and fighting nerf, it doesn't seem like that. Now there really is no type that we can say is OP. But still we have yet to see new moves game freak released. As I said previously they could make stealth rock clones, or close combat clones, or make a good move that's wide spread to a specific type like scald in BW/BW2 to water types. It's still too early to tell.

I love how Gamefreak went about this. It made flavor sense to buff steel and nerf dark with fairy... so then they did another thing that made sense that nerfed steel and buffed dark. Giveth with one hand, taketh away with the other.

I was disappointed to find that fairy is NVE against steel because everything is but that does help balance out such a type. I was hoping they'd give Poison more buffs in the type chart though, but oh well.

Weavile is meant to be played as a revenge killer anyway. It's not like it's trying to switch in against anything even now.
I'm aware of that. Still:

252 Atk LO Night Slash vs 252/108 Jirachi: 62.87% - 74.26%

Far from a OHKO, so Jirachi will have to be weakened a nice chunk before this can be attempted. And that's assuming it isn't behind a sub. Obviously, Jirachi doesn't fear a no switch Pursuit very much, so the mind games aren't too bad.

Edit: I'd have preferred it if they'd given steel the fairy resist in exchange for the dark resist and left ghost alone. But you can't have it all I guess.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Do any of you remember when the English names for newly revealed Pokémon are released? Is it the day CoroCoro is out (the 15th), or a couple days before/after?

Either way, not long until we get to know them. The last time, three years ago, there was a several-month long period of confusion as everybody referred to the new 'mons by their Japanese names. This generation, not a single one of them has stuck with me, at least.

Also, am I the only one who can't help but see that Mega Garchomp is wearing a jacket or coat or something? It has shoulder pads and spiky lapel things, plus the red on his chest looks like some kind of shirt.
No, I totally saw it too, I even thought he looked like a 90's character with that huge Jaw

That may well be true, but ttar can run scarf, pursuit trap jirachi, and jirachi no is longer a safe switch in or out against ttar.

That may well be true, but ttar can run scarf, pursuit trap jirachi, and jirachi no is longer a safe switch in or out against ttar.
I disagree. Unlike Celebi, SpD Jirachi frequently runs protect. If you suspect pursuit, just protect yourself and then act accordingly. Pursuit does 40% max to 252/0 Jirachi so it really has no problem protecting, paralyzing, then finishing Tar off with Iron Head. Standard SubCM Jirachi (who actually runs more physical bulk than SpD) has even less to fear, IMO. It's MysticGar and Scizor all over again, only it doesn't stop Jirachi from doing its job as a special wall.

Don't know why people are saying Jirachi will be so much worse. The only common dark type in OU is Tyranitar, which Jirachi naturally outspeeds and Iron Head's to death. It only really has to worry about Scarf variants, but even then, with 100/100 defenses, Jirachi can definitely take a Pursuit from Jolly 252 Atk ttar, and possibly a crunch too, though I haven't done the calc for that. Also, dark types just gained a weakness to (what looks like) a powerful new type... soooo yeah, I think dark types will like the added offensive pressure, but they just got a whole lot worse defensively :/

(Also Metagross has good physical bulk, great attack, and this move - not sure if you've heard of it - called Meteor Mash. Tyranitar is not staying in on Metagross @_@)

Ghost is also interesting, though Gengar is the only offensive ghost in OU (I think Jellicent can run some weird specs set w/ water spout though?). So yeah, that's awesome for Gengar, but he's still going to be pretty hard walled by Chansey/ Blissey, so there's that I suppose.

This is actually going to be a pretty hard generation to adjust to actually. It'll probably take players a while to figure out what the new, best offensive combos/ defensive cores are. It'll be so interesting to see how this all pans out on the competitive scene.

(also, I really hope Fennekin2 becomes Fire/ Fairy. That'd fit with the whole witch-y thing, and it'd be pretty cool)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)