Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk why people are thinking that what's common in OU will be the same things commonly present in Gen 6 OU. It's not like nothing changed except the one pokemon you're theorizing about. Gen 5 didn't alter nearly as much of the core game as Gen 6 intends to and that still gave the metagame a massive facelift anyway.

^true, and by that I assume you mean that there will be other dark types rising in to OU? But the thing is, dark types didn't just get a buff today; they also got some significant nerfs. Namely, they're now weak to Fairy, and Fairy resists dark type moves. I agree that a lot can change in a generation, but just at this point, it's hard to see any dark types rising in to OU on the merits of this information alone. In fact, if Fairy is as good as some of the community suspects it might be, dark types might actually fall, regardless of steel losing the dark resistance.

Holy crap guys, 32 users.

So anyway, Chespin's turning into a ball!! Fennekin's turning into two legs, and Froakie looks p cool. And also Ice/Rock and Dragon/Rock dinosaurs omg!!! All these updates look really cool and Fennekin's final evo is almost sure to be Fire/Psychic lol. And Mega Garchomp is looking so cool.

(also guys quit talking about gen6 competitive battling, do that here.)

GameFreak confirmed this? If there aren't any sources besides the CoroCoro leak, we're not sure yet.

If we do assume that's the final type chart for XY, though, then Choiced Dark-type attacks won't be as big of a problem as the loss of Steel's resistance suggests: most Dark-type attackers don't have strong Steel or Poison auxiliary coverage options available in their movepools.

(This does have a cool implication, though: Bisharp and Skuntank will thoroughly dismantle any Steel+Fairy defensive cores you might encounter in the lower tiers.)

GameFreak confirmed this? If there aren't any sources besides the CoroCoro leak, we're not sure yet.

If we do assume that's the final type chart for XY, though, then Choiced Dark-type attacks won't be as big of a problem as the loss of Steel's resistance suggests: most Dark-type attackers don't have strong Steel or Poison auxiliary coverage options available in their movepools.

(This does have a cool implication, though: Bisharp and Skuntank will thoroughly dismantle any Steel+Fairy defensive cores you might encounter in the lower tiers.)
Corocoro is regarded as an official source; the type chart is confirmed. As for choiced dark, it has always been a generally bad choice. Fairy resisting it (and, unlike steel, being SE in return) means that this fact won't change.

Corocoro is confirmation.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i'm so excited for this gen!! so glad i prereserved X, i wish it was release date already!

i like how much customization they're including in the games. dogmon's customization and also being able to style your hair/clothes?? it's everything i've ever wanted in pokemon tbh.

i don't really care about the type nerfs / buffs, i like that they're keeping the game fresh and switching up the type chart. the middle evolutions are pretty awkward looking, but that's usually the case.

any other new features you guys are excited about?

Now game freak just took my money, if they make a Mega Pidgeot and Mega Raichu, then I will give them my soul.

Also, I wanted to do a "Electric" mono type run like I did on BW and BW2... but now I want to have my very own custiiumizable dog thing... =/

I hope they release a new trailer after the corocoro news. I wanna see some of these pokemon in different camera angles. I hated the Mega Lucario sugimori art, but the 3D model looked a lot better imo. Most people (including me) dislike chespin evo sugimori art, but maybe the 3D model may look better or have an interesting animation.

I was unsure if purchasing a 3ds last week was a good idea considering my tight budget... These leaks have just destroyed any and all doubts. Although fennekin looks kinda... err... eh...

The starter evos are based of skyrim classes: mage, soldier, sneak. Chespin's line is based off oshawott, then piginite, then presumably serperior.... lolwut

i'm so excited for this gen!! so glad i prereserved X, i wish it was release date already!

i like how much customization they're including in the games. dogmon's customization and also being able to style your hair/clothes?? it's everything i've ever wanted in pokemon tbh.

i don't really care about the type nerfs / buffs, i like that they're keeping the game fresh and switching up the type chart. the middle evolutions are pretty awkward looking, but that's usually the case.

any other new features you guys are excited about?
I'm just looking forward to the little secrets that we don't know yet. I'm glad we won't know much of the other legends and taking a wrong turn in a cave to face a mystery pokemon will bring back some of the magic.

I'm still a big fan of amie for not only rpg, but it will give that little bit of luck that will make battles just a little more exciting. I'm really impressed with GF. They have addressed a lot of issues and added a ton of stuff. Could be the best game so far...

Personally, I think Chespin's evo looks fat and retarded, and Gekogashira has the best design of the second form starters. It looks speak, streamlined, and it has a great color scheme.

Those names for 2nd stage starters were actually revealed waaay back by pokejungle as trademarked names that were submitted. If pokejungle were still up I can provide links. But for now if you search up "hariboogu pokejungle" on google. It was an article under the title "Kalos Starter Evolutions Come To Light?"

heres a link from 4chan back in July:
http://4chandata.org/vp/http--pokej...d-out-to-us-as-possible-Chespin-evolu-a574497

they mixed up fennkin and froakie 3rd stage and 2nd stage names

Last edited:
I like that new Freeze Skin ability! That means the long-necked fossil Pokemon will be able to use things like Ice-type Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, and Return/Frustration! THAT'S PRETTY FREAKIN' SWEET!

I like that new Freeze Skin ability! That means the long-necked fossil Pokemon will be able to use things like Ice-type Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, and Return/Frustration! THAT'S PRETTY FREAKIN' SWEET!
Ice-type Extremespeed would be leaps and bounds ahead of almost any other option, although it's unlikely that a diplodocus would get Extremespeed, so Return/Frustration will have to do.

^true, and by that I assume you mean that there will be other dark types rising in to OU? But the thing is, dark types didn't just get a buff today; they also got some significant nerfs. Namely, they're now weak to Fairy, and Fairy resists dark type moves. I agree that a lot can change in a generation, but just at this point, it's hard to see any dark types rising in to OU on the merits of this information alone. In fact, if Fairy is as good as some of the community suspects it might be, dark types might actually fall, regardless of steel losing the dark resistance.
I wasn't necessarily singling out your thoughts specifically. I was just pointing out that a lot of people were theorizing on one pokemon as if all these changes only applied to it and the metagame outside stayed exactly the same as it is now. It doesn't work if you just drop Jirachi in to Gen 5 OU and pretend its now weak to ghost and dark, for example, because that's not how things will be.

Didn't really need calling, or saying really.

As long as we're calling stuff, dragon claw/outrage earthquake iron head sub/sd/fire blast 4 standard.
Okay... fine. Iron Head is now Scrafty's coverage move of choice!

Edit: Which sucks since it's the only way it won't get walled by a fairy but it also has extremely redundant coverage with fighting... Ice punch or Iron Head, I just don't know T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)