the competive edge. my new team

Status
Not open for further replies.
just got introduced to the competitive edge of this game never really got into it before but it seems pretty interesting so want some feed back of the team i think ima go with as my first team. its kinda just what i find to be a strong easy team to use because i am new to the competitive end but open to suggestions.

role: physical attacker
Pokemon: Scizor lvl 100
ability: technician
item: Life orb
nature: adamant
ev: 252 atk 252 spe 4hp
moves: roost, Bug Bite, Bullet Punch, Swords Dance

role: special attacker
Pokemon: espeon
ability: Magic Bounce
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
ev: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
moves: Physcic, Hidden Power Fire, Signal Beam, Baton pass

role: mixed attacker
Pokemon: infernape
ability: blaze
item: expert belt
nature: naive
ev: 180 Atk / 76 SpA / 252 Spe
moves: Overheat, Close Combat, thunder punch, u turn

role: physical wall / potential stall
Pokemon: Gliscor
ability: Hyper cutter (cant find poison heal anywhere)
item: poison barb (with no poison heal figured id get a stronger toxic)
nature: hardy
ev: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 spe
moves: Roost, Ice Fang, Toxic , Protect

role: special wall,wish support
Pokemon: Blissey
ability: Natural cure
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
ev: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
moves: Wish, Protect, Seismic Toss, (Toxic or Soft boiled) not sure if 2 toxics is a good idea but another heal will help with stall so undecided)

role: mixed wall, hazards
Pokemon: Ferrothorn
ability: iron barb
item: Leftovers
nature: relaxed
ev: 2252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
moves: Stealth Rock, Leech Seed, Power Whip, Thunder Wave

A couple of things I could suggest:
1) 252 speed EV's in Scizor don't really do much, as the majority of fast pokemon will be faster, and slow pokemon already slower. Instead, I recommend Max HP EV's to take hits better, and seeing as you already have roost, it will be put into effect better. You may also want to run U-Turn to get out of matchups if you insist on max speed, but bug bite is probably better on max HP.
2) Why do you carry Baton Pass on espeon with no other mon knowing it, and no boosting move? If you carry Baton pass, at least carry Calm mind, but even then you don't have anyone to pass to except Infernape. I think this is a waste, so I recommend replacing Baton Pass with either Shadow Ball or Calm mind.
3) Poison heal is a dream world ability, so get Gliscor from dream world or Hack it in to use poison heal. You may want to run EQ over Ice Fang to deal with steel types immune to poison, and dealing with dragons isn't really necessary when none carry Ice moves and you are physically bulky. Also, without poison heal, protect is semi-useless and you may want to replace it with Swords Dance or Taunt, whatever your preference (Protect is still good though).
4) I recommend running max HP on blissey, being its Trademark stat and being able to pass MASSIVE wishes to anyone on your team. Take there away from special defence - it has massive special bulk already, really (Calm will help with this). I don't think softboiled is Viable with the Wish+Protect combo, but try using Aromatherapy over toxic if you want, its good for the burns on scizor and the paralyse on infernape.
5) Why run relaxed on ferrothorn? If you do at least run gyro ball over power whip, or at least change to Impish.

Hope this helps :D

the scizor thing definitely makes sense i just pulled this stuff off smogon so haven't really fully figured out the whole team synergy part yet. but ill definitely take gyro ball on my ferrothorn as well. as far as the blissey thing it is her trademark stat but at 712 hp with no evs in it none of my poken need more then a 300 wish and that's already at 356 so the hp is kind of unnecessary. might as well make her tankier to stall for longer. as far as espeon goes never really thought about more baton passes so ill definitely be taking something over that. and ill keep looking for the poison heal gliscor but if not ill just grab the EQ over ice cuz totally forgot about the whole steal thing thanks for the tips

Hi! Just thought I'd try to add some of my own ideas to the team without taking away too much from its current form.

I'll begin off with a few minor move slot changes. The team has an effective defensive backbone, which is extremely helpful in forcing your opponent out. With forcing switches can come the delight and necessity of Entry Hazards! If you are worried about running Toxic on Blissey and on Gliscor, I'd recommend running Stealth Rock over Toxic. With this change, you would need to then change Stealth Rock to Spikes on Ferrothorn, since it, just like Blissey, has a tendency to force many switches, not to mention, catch the opponent stuck in an Outrage, with which it can proceed to set up layers of Spikes aiding, most prominently Scizor's job in easily sweeping your opponent after a Swords Dance. I might add an item suggestion for Scizor, which is entirely up to your play style/preference, changing Life Orb to Iron Plate. With this particular change Scizor can bluff a Choice Band set when using Bullet Punch, which gets the added boost from Iron Plate without the recoil, only receiving a deficit from 1.3x% to 1.2x% with the Iron Plate.
Now onto some offensive threats that can undoubtedly cause your team headaches.
Keldeo : If using an expert belt set, can proceed to OHKO Gliscor w Hp Ice, OHKO Blissey w Secret Sword and 2HKO Ferrothron w Secret Sword as well. You can counter it outspeeding with Espeon and proceeding to OHKO with Psychic, however having no comfortable switch-ins to Keldeo is never a good idea. The only thing I can suggest to accommodate this is Bulky Rapid Spin Starmie which would replace Gliscor, aid in the removal of Hazards from your side, and potentially spreading a burn to opponents. I'll list the set below this threat list if you'd like to give it a shot.
Lati@s : Not so much Latias in this case, unless of course it's running an offensive set, but depending on the type of set Latios is running (as they tend to be more offensive) can well and truly place you on the back foot throughout the game. It poses a similar presence Keldeo does against your team,almost forcing you to sacrifice a Pokemon everytime it switches in. Psyshock 2HKO Blissey, Hp Fire is an OHKO on Ferrothorn without Rain support, and Gliscor is OHKO'd by a Draco Meteor (this is all assuming specs.). The only way I can suggest to play around this is smart usage of Blissey in sponging Draco Meteors, and if using Starmie (or even Ferrothorn), sponging its other special blows in Psyshock/Hp Fire/Surf.

I would add Mamoswine, but through Infernape/Scizor/Espeon it can be pressured heavily, it does, however, threaten your defensive structure of your team through Superpower/Icicle Crash which can cause huge dents to your team. Again, Starmie can alleviate this issue slightly, with the set below being;

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Other than that and the few move slot/item changes, I think it's a pretty effective team! Best of luck with it :)

Changelist;

Toxic --> Stealth Rock
Stealth Rock --> Spikes
Life Orb --> Iron Plate

Last edited:
Hi! Just thought I'd try to add some of my own ideas to the team without taking away too much from its current form.

I'll begin off with a few minor move slot changes. The team has an effective defensive backbone, which is extremely helpful in forcing your opponent out. With forcing switches can come the delight and necessity of Entry Hazards! If you are worried about running Toxic on Blissey and on Gliscor, I'd recommend running Stealth Rock over Toxic. With this change, you would need to then change Stealth Rock to Spikes on Ferrothorn, since it, just like Blissey, has a tendency to force many switches, not to mention, catch the opponent stuck in an Outrage, with which it can proceed to set up layers of Spikes aiding, most prominently Scizor's job in easily sweeping your opponent after a Swords Dance. I might add an item suggestion for Scizor, which is entirely up to your play style/preference, changing Life Orb to Iron Plate. With this particular change Scizor can bluff a Choice Band set when using Bullet Punch, which gets the added boost from Iron Plate without the recoil, only receiving a deficit from 1.3x% to 1.2x% with the Iron Plate.
Now onto some offensive threats that can undoubtedly cause your team headaches.
Keldeo : If using an expert belt set, can proceed to OHKO Gliscor w Hp Ice, OHKO Blissey w Secret Sword and 2HKO Ferrothron w Secret Sword as well. You can counter it outspeeding with Espeon and proceeding to OHKO with Psychic, however having no comfortable switch-ins to Keldeo is never a good idea. The only thing I can suggest to accommodate this is Bulky Rapid Spin Starmie which would replace Gliscor, aid in the removal of Hazards from your side, and potentially spreading a burn to opponents. I'll list the set below this threat list if you'd like to give it a shot.
Lati@s : Not so much Latias in this case, unless of course it's running an offensive set, but depending on the type of set Latios is running (as they tend to be more offensive) can well and truly place you on the back foot throughout the game. It poses a similar presence Keldeo does against your team,almost forcing you to sacrifice a Pokemon everytime it switches in. Psyshock 2HKO Blissey, Hp Fire is an OHKO without Rain support, and Gliscor is OHKO'd by a Draco Meteor (this is all assuming specs.). The only way I can suggest to play around this is smart usage of Blissey in sponging Draco Meteors, and if using Starmie (or even Ferrothorn), sponging its other special blows in Psyshock/Hp Fire/Surf.

I would add Mamoswine, but through Infernape/Scizor/Espeon it can be pressured heavily, it does, however, threaten your defensive structure of your team through Superpower/Icicle Crash which can cause huge dents to your team. Again, Starmie can alleviate this issue slightly, with the set below being;

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Other than that and the few move slot/item changes, I think it's a pretty effective team! Best of luck with it :)

Changelist;

Toxic --> Stealth Rock
Stealth Rock --> Spikes
Life Orb --> Iron Plate
yeah enrty hazards was my one big worry cuz i realized i had no real way to deal with them. so ill deffinitly be looking for a starmie now over my gliscor. sadly gliscor is one of the pokemon that was already fully set up so ill have to find a way to swap that out. and as far as swapping the stealthrock and spikes thing do they stack on each-other if i have 2 layers of spikes + a stealth rock up would the damage stack or take th greater of the two how would that work?

Well, you still need to give each Pokemon three lines of description or a mod will close this thread.
And running Baton Pass on Espeon can come in handy for Pursuit users, namely Scizor and Tyranitar

yeah enrty hazards was my one big worry cuz i realized i had no real way to deal with them. so ill deffinitly be looking for a starmie now over my gliscor. sadly gliscor is one of the pokemon that was already fully set up so ill have to find a way to swap that out. and as far as swapping the stealthrock and spikes thing do they stack on each-other if i have 2 layers of spikes + a stealth rock up would the damage stack or take th greater of the two how would that work?
The damage does indeed 'stack'. When laying down hazards, say 2 sets of Spikes and your Stealth Rocks, the damage each produces is seperate from each other, but ultimately adds on to each other. Example, you have the aforementioned hazards up, a Volcarona switches in, it will take 50% from Stealth Rocks, and then proceed to take (I think it's like 16%) from the 2 layers of Spikes, so overall, roughly 66% which is a huge benefit for your team against many pokes other than Volcorona.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
hi, your thread is breaking rmt rule #3. You need descriptions for each Pokemon. A minimum of three lines is required. PM me your updated descriptions and I'll unlock your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)