Heavy Drag-Spam Rain Offense

Hello, Smogon!
I've been hanging around on this site for quite a while now, and I figured out I'd try to do a RMT.

~Team Build~

This team started with a simple core of Politoed and Dugtrio. I wanted this team to be rain. Dugtrio takes care of Ninetales and Tyranitar and weakened, grounded pokes.

I added Magnezone, simply because I knew what I wanted, and I knew that Pesky Steel Types were in the way of achieving efficent Drag-Spam. Every OU team needs a Steel type, imo. I don't want to see Outrages blindly fired at my team.

I slapped 2 strong attackers, both Dragons and both had their attacks boosted by a Choice item, one Pshysical, one Special.
At this point I realized that not only those deffensive Steel Types stopped my Dragons, but other offensive Dragons (especially scarfed ones) could destroy my dargons. So I needed a counter to the other dragons...

First I thought about Mamoswine, scares every Dragon away, can set up SR... but I landed on Latias. Why? scarfed dragons where my biggest threat, so I used the fastest Dragon, to use my own weakness into theirs.

After some battles I realized that Scarf Latias was too weak time to time. And Latios litterly overkilled the other Dragons, so I swapped their rolls. It might seem pointless, but it was much needed. Too bad Latios don't learn Healing Wish :(
~Team Analysis~

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Calm Nature
- Perish Song
- Protect
- Whirlpool
- Ice Beam

My rain setter and a really dangerous poke, and my most used lead against weatherless teams. This is a customized set I came across. I often start with using Persih Song, followed by Protect and then Whirlpool. I got really suprised when I saw with my own eyes how many times it worked. The only time it did not work, was when Whirlpool missed, no one sees it coming, and getting a quick advantage is really good for a team as offensive as this one. A hillarius side note, is that when I use protect, many opponents will try to go for the hardest read on earth, while I already have decided to sac him, and thus enables me to get the Whirlpool trapping effect active :p If he succeeds he's often used as a death foughter.
As you can see, the filler move I have is Ice Beam. I just love when Dragons think they can set up on Toed,. if they are 4x weak to it, it is a clean KO, on most standard sets.
I've made him as bulky as possible taking both types of attacks respectly well, but suggestions on the spread is welcome.

Dugtrio @ Ground Gem
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Naive Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Endure

Ok, this set obviusly needs some explination. He used to have a sash paired with SR, but his sash often broke due to entry hazards, and I did not often set up my rocks. And one last thing before I say anymore about him. Dugtrio is weak, very weak. He has the lowest BST of any poke in OU, and his base attack is only 80. He is my main revenge killer, and my back-up steel trapper, who traps things like Heatran. I gave him Ground Gem after seeing that this thing could not even garuantee a KO on Ninetales and Tyranitar. And I never liked how His EQ often couldn't kill weakened pokes with less than 50% health less, it was pathetic. Endure replaced the sash and rocks. I use it a lot to get Reversal to 200 in power, which at times makes up for his low Attack. Stone Edge murders many flying types, and especially Volcarona, who're a dangerous poke when not having SR on the team. The current EV spread secures him to live 2 Seismic Tosses or Night Shades, with 1 HP, and as well being as fragile as possible.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 52 Spd / 204 HP
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Since Toed carries Whirlpool, I guess this is my 3rd trapper on my team. better find a Wobbufett aswell. This guy destroys every steel type (bar Heatran, who Dugtrio takes care of.) He makes it more easier for my precius Dragons to succesfully destroy my opponent. I needed Specs, seeing how Ferrothorn could avoid the 2HKO from HP Fire in the rain otherwise. This team is nearly based on predictions, to succesfully trap Steel types, I need to set myself into my opponent's mind and doubble switch into his poke. When he's done his job, his a death foughter, just like Politoed. Thunder is obvius STAB move in the rain. When i see a skarmory, or Cloyster in the team preview, he's my lead. I'll Volt Swicth if my opponent lacks a Ground type, but I'll play around it if they do. Flash Cannon is a secondary STAB move and a very good move to lock myself into.

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunder
- Energy Ball

Latios is one of the bissgest threats in the 5. gen. In my team he's Dragon Slayer and second revenge killer. I do not use HP Fire, because I need max speed on him, so he can more safely kill every other dragon. This is a rain team, so I don't see why not I should have Surf and Thunder. Surf is like "another STAB" in the rain, something I like against Gliscor, Terrakion, Landorus and Volcarona. Thunder Destroys every common water type. The only one not, beeing Gastrodon who wrecked my team when I didn't carry a much needed Grass move. Foul Play is always a move that Psychics don't wanna take, so I minimized his attack as much as I could. I'm not kidding here, Foul Play must not be underestimated!

Dragonite @ Water Gem
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Aqua Jet

Ah... Dragonite, my loyal Knight. He's my Physical attacker, and the only poke with priority. I removed Choice Band, I don't want to make more useless predictions than I must. So I replaced it with Water Gem. If Volcarona sets up 1 Quiver Dance, this guy comes and saves the day! He is a counter do Volcarona, Scizor, Terrakion and many others. Scizors who tries to set up get's hit hard by Fire Punch and followed by Aqua jet. Terrakion and Volc get's OHKO'ed by Aqua Jet in rain. Gengar takes much damage from it. I chose Dragon Claw over Outrage, I removed the choice item for a reason, I don't want to locked into anything. Otherwise, this guy is pretty standard.

Latias (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 116 Spd / 252 SAtk / 140 HP
IV's: 0 Atk
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Surf

Dragon Pulse over Draco, becuse I don't want to swicth too much after the steel types are gone. Psyshock as secondary STAB and to hit the blobs harder. Thunder and Surf has the same purpose as Latios' Surf and Thunder and Surf does, but they hit harder, much harder. I figured out that this guy didn't need to outspeed much. most fast threats are already gone when she comes inn, and I've only giving her enough Speed to outspeed max speed 80's, like Mamo, Heatran, Breloom and Dragonite. This girl does not even hit hard, but can take a lot of strong hits, aswell. 0 Attack IV's here aswell, really, Foul Play has screwed me over too many times

~Conclusion~

This team has done some amazing stuff. The most battles I win with 1 poke remaining with ca. 10% health left. it really get's intense when trying to get the correct prediction, but once you gets it, you'll most likely win. however this team is maybe too reliant on predictions, it's not currently a problem, but it might get problematic at some point. I am open to suggestions, and I hoped you liked my first RMT! :)

Replays:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-49808894
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-49832094
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-49803024
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-49830995
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-49959449

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-49960373

Last edited:
This is a customized set I came across. I often start with using Persih Song, followed by Protect and then Whirlpool. I got really suprised when I saw with my own eyes how many times it worked. The only time it did not work, was when Whirlpool missed, no one sees it coming, and getting a quick advantage is really good for a team as offensive as this one.
That's because Whirlpool is incompatible with Drizzle...

That's because Whirlpool is incompatible with Drizzle...
I know it is incompatible, but for some reason, it's not banned at PS!

@detroitwillfall, I don't see why oposing rain teams will smash my team, I've defeated countless of them. all my 3 trappers can trap Jirachi, If that fails for some reason, I've got some powerhouses in form of Lati@s and Dragonite. He's not too dangerous. Vaporeon isn't a threat imo, I've got 3 pokes with Thunder, 2 of them got specs as well, and if that's not good enough of a counter, I don't know what is...

But if you insist that my weak should have any replacements, suggestions are always welcome, I'll be happy to try them out! ;)

and btw, I added some replays :D

Last edited:
Sorry to be be blunt, but this team isn't very solid.

You 1 this team gets HARD BODIED bY specs latios which is going the punch a massive hole in or kill EVERYTHING in 1-2 shots, and yes that includes magnezone. Your closest thing to a check is scarf latios, but that is easily stopped by a special wall like chancey (which also walls the hell out of this team). You have no real answer for any variant of scizor most notable cb or sd. Gengar also gives you issues as it outspeeds most your team and if it is a sub variant you can say bye to AT LEAST 2 pokemon. If it is a sub disable variant ALLLLL of choice pokemon will be dancing around or struggling yourself to death. Your "reveng killer" is beyond useless to anything with any form of priority or anything it can't one shot. Once rocks are down and you're brought down to your lowest or near lowest hp your poke is GONE.
You lack the ability to change attacks with half your team which are the better pokes on this squad. This team is pretty much ALL prediction based and even then it still doesn't seem to be good at putting the game away against well built teams.

Aqua jet is a horrible for dragonite there is really no reason to run it. It's not getting ain't stab, yes it's getting a rain boost but it ain't getting much else and it's not hitting the things that dragonite needs it to hard enough. Extrememe speed is far better while ghost are immune to it. It is stronger, has more priority than aqua jet, and let's it hit more pokemon that could be problematic for dragonite. A one shot aqua jet being strong isnt even really worth using a water gem on him a one shot one use item isn't that good. Especially considering you can 1 hit kill a valcarona anyway with dragonite. Especially with multi-scale if you can keep it in tact. WHICH IS ANOTHER ISSUE you're running multiscale with no spinner which is a waste of dragonite's ability especially if it isn't a lead.

I really can't think of a solution for these problems other than a massive overhaul.

Last edited:
Thanks for the rate, Azure Demon! :D ...
Well, besides pointing out my weaknesses, you ain't really helping, but that's ok. The only real advice is to use E-Speed over Aqua Jet, but personally, my team needs a check to Volc (and btw, I cannot reliably kill a Volc once it sets up one Quiver Dance). I use it mainly to destroy Ground pokes that stop Magnezone to do some hefty Volt Switch scouting, always giving me tons of momentum. I feel like it's nececary, like I need it, but I'll test E-Speed.
Multiscale is not the only reason I chose D-Nite. It still saves me more than Inner Focus imo. This is hyper Offense, no need to worry about rocks, or spinning. Most of my pokes are already Immune to (toxic)Spikes and SR alone don't do much harm.
I'll give Latias Trick, to criplle walls, most notably the blobs.
Scizor hasn't been a problem, and I've met a lot of them. I'll scout wich set he's running, if SD I'll hit him hard and die, then use Dragonite with Fire Punch and Aqua Jet. If CB, I'll once again sack my poke, then use magnezone.
I know it is prediction based, but that's what makes it so fun ^^
And once again, Suggestions are wanted, I really wanna improve this team! ;)

Sr does hurt this team considering how much switching you have to do thanks to the nature if this team and how many choice mons you have. you lack recovery and it may not seem like much but 12% is enough to turn 2 shots into 1. This team is set up bait for a lot of pokes especially scizor. an sd scizor outspeeds your magnezone 65base speed vs 60 base. You don't have a check to it.

Last edited:
Sorry to be be blunt, but this team isn't very solid.

You 1 this team gets HARD BODIED bY specs latios which is going the punch a massive hole in or kill EVERYTHING in 1-2 shots, and yes that includes magnezone. Your closest thing to a check is scarf latios, but that is easily stopped by a special wall like chancey (which also walls the hell out of this team). You have no real answer for any variant of scizor most notable cb or sd. Gengar also gives you issues as it outspeeds most your team and if it is a sub variant you can say bye to AT LEAST 2 pokemon. If it is a sub disable variant ALLLLL of choice pokemon will be dancing around or struggling yourself to death. Your "reveng killer" is beyond useless to anything with any form of priority or anything it can't one shot. Once rocks are down and you're brought down to your lowest or near lowest hp your poke is GONE.
You lack the ability to change attacks with half your team which are the better pokes on this squad. This team is pretty much ALL prediction based and even then it still doesn't seem to be good at putting the game away against well built teams.

Aqua jet is a horrible for dragonite there is really no reason to run it. It's not getting ain't stab, yes it's getting a rain boost but it ain't getting much else and it's not hitting the things that dragonite needs it to hard enough. Extrememe speed is far better while ghost are immune to it. It is stronger, has more priority than aqua jet, and let's it hit more pokemon that could be problematic for dragonite. A one shot aqua jet being strong isnt even really worth using a water gem on him a one shot one use item isn't that good. Especially considering you can 1 hit kill a valcarona anyway with dragonite. Especially with multi-scale if you can keep it in tact. WHICH IS ANOTHER ISSUE you're running multiscale with no spinner which is a waste of dragonite's ability especially if it isn't a lead.

I really can't think of a solution for these problems other than a massive overhaul.
No need to be so goddamn rude jesus... All you had to do was suggest a sturdy steel type.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, that is the nature of offensive teams. Offensive teams CHECK Pokemon, not counter.

No need to be so goddamn rude jesus... All you had to do was suggest a sturdy steel type.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, that is the nature of offensive teams. Offensive teams CHECK Pokemon, not counter.
No one is being rude... I'm just not sugarcoating it. Also a steel type with sturdy doesn't fix his issue on his team. He already has a reasonable bulky steel type in magnezone which is quite capable of sponging hits. Also offensive teams are quite capable of countering a multitude of pokemon which they are properly place together and have a reasonable amount of syenergy. Volt turn teams for example which are some of the most threatening and momentum carrying teams in the game are capable of not only checking or forcing the opponent to switch but are also capable of shutting particular pokes down entirely...

He can still have a great offensive team but he has to make alterations like maybe changing his choice in the dragons he selected, maybe providing a better revenge killer than dugtrio, or at least picking a different set for his dugtrio. But there are quite a few holes in this team and a bulky steel type isn't going to answer his problems....

I'll reccomended replacing your dugtrio with a terrakion. Your team lacks a true physical attacking offensive threat. Dragonite is scary always will be but it's not enough to end a game for you. Adding this guy wil give you a win condition as well as that offensive presence i mentioned. Terrakion not only is more powerful than dugtrio it also resist rocks, has more bulk, and has better syenergy with your twin dragons. Terrakion handles a massive threat to the twins which is t-tar while the twins cover his ground, water, psychic, and grass weakness can be switched in on multiple pokemon and can set up. As long as it's check or counter (gliscor) is gone it's pretty easy pickings for you and your team.

Also I can't quite figure out why you're running bulky specs latias. I understand what I does for you, but it just doesn't quite seems to be as effective as it COULD be. I would say why not shoot for a CM set if you are going to go bulky why not go all out you'll still hurt or one shot major offensive threats, but you give yourself more staying and sweeping power if you run CM on latias if you don't do it because you don't like the coverage a 2 attack set provides. Run 3 attacks+ cm, but losing out on recovery can cost the old gal some longevity. However if played properly she can use leftovers to stick around and piss off your opponent for a long time to come.

I'm recommending

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor/swords dance

Latias @ leftovers
Trait: levitate
EVs: 252hp/252 spd/4spatk
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Roost/Surf/Thunder

Last edited:
I'd make a small suggestion based off a team constructed by Stone Cold quite a while ago I borrowed and began using.

On said team, there was a Tornadus/Dugtrio core I had quite a lot of fun using. The idea is to U-Turn out with Tornadus who baits Special Walls and Steel Types, most noticeably Jirachi/Blissey who get demolished by Dugtrio! This then allows Tornadus to effectively demolish your opponents team with un-resisted Specs Hurricanes.
He would fit over Latias on your current team structure, since I feel it is redundant in carrying both Lati twins. I feel Tornadus would fit rather nicely on the team, working extremely well when partnered with Dugtrio, of course, this is just a suggestion though :), however, the set is here below;

Tornadus @ Choice Specs
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Heat Wave / Air Slash
- U-Turn

Last edited:
Thanks for the rate everyone! I really apriciate it! :D

I've been very busy lately (Amnesia 2), but I have finally tested all of the suggestions, so let's begin!
Terrakion over Dugtrio and CM over Specs on Latias was a great idea. I do miss the suprise factor of an offensive Latias, but the staying power is often worth it. Terrakion do counter T-Tar, but I miss the ability to trap and kill it. But the free Rock Poolish, often gives me tons of momentum (as long as they don't have a scizor aswell on the team, or the Water Gem Aqua Jet D-nite :p). All in all, some nice suggestions ;)

Tornadus... woaw. that thing does work. He's just staying in the field and "tanting" until the special walls comes onto the field. I never thought about anything like this when building my team, but it works. And the best about it; it adds some predictions games :3 If my oponent gets SR up, I have to carefully plan how to use him, and it builds intense pressure. It's really fun :p

Thanks for the rate everyone! I could not decide which suggestion to use, so I ended up with 3 slightly different teams xD I'll now pick the team depending on my mood. So once again, thank you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)