Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 100% accurate Freeze move wouldn't be anywhere near as broken as Spore has been in this generation because it wouldn't work in the sun and anything with Scald, Flare Blitz, Sacred Fire or Flame Wheel (lol) is practically immune to freeze. Incidentally pokemon with those moves are water and fire types, both great switch-ins against ice types.
Precisely. Freeze mechanics can easily be tweaked. It strikes me as odd how on the type chart fire, grass, electric and ice are next each other each having an immunity to statuses that can be afflicted...seem to hint at this. They also seem to emphasize statues a lot in this gen and game mechanics in general.

I actually think of Luvdisc as less of a joke pokemon and more of a "it's there for atmosphere" pokemon, like a lot of useless waters. Jokes have to have a presence and be funny, Luvdisc is just kinda there and provides heart scales.

I posted about this at the top of this page, actually.
Luvdisc, the only pokemon I harvest and release. With a 50% chance of getting a heart scale, they are useful for move remembering

I have to go with what Noah said since braise makes more sense.
^ Yeah I hadn't seen that post yet.

Last edited:
I am all for giving Ice Types a boost since its a terrible defensive typing and Fairy Types can possible take its role of killing Dragon Types. However, a 100% freeze move is a TERRIBLE idea. Freeze is without a doubt the most potent status next to fainting. Unlike sleep, which also immobilizes a Pokemon, freeze doesn't go away after a set number of turns. Every turn, frozen Pokemon have a 20% chance of thawing out. If hax has anything to do with a battle (and we all know that luck/hax is a major part of battles), it is possible to be frozen for the rest of the battle. The chances of being frozen for more than 5 turns is slim, but so is being able to use Protect 7 turns in a row--which is possible.

On the other hand, there are ways to get around being frozen. Getting hit by a Fire Type move or using Scald will thaw out frozen Pokemon immediately. Pokemon are also unable to be frozen in harsh sunlight. Unfortunately, most Pokemon who would want to freeze you will probably not be caring a Fire Type move or be on a drought team...

Steel is also immune to poison and Ice Types are immune to freeze

I'm pretty sure somethin' will happen.

They did give us Chomp and TornT in the end (and we all know what happened to them (well, the Shark is now spared thankfully)!

Ice does badly need a Boost - but then again, it is a pretty scary type when even a half-decent member comes along, we all know that too!

Do any of you think we will have a fairy trio? That would rock.
What would be the possibility of having a different set of legends for each game? X = Fairy Y= ???
Looking at the type chart again, I was hoping Rock was immune to Electric moves again.

On a side note:
Hidden Power Normal should be the new Hidden Power Fairy.

What would be the possibility of having a different set of legends for each game? X = Fairy Y= ???
Looking at the type chart again, I was hoping Rock was immune to Electric moves again.

On a side note:
That's an interesting point: how are they going to fit Hidden Power Fairy into the existing IV system? They're backwards-compatible, so the IV system must be roughly the same.

Last edited:
That's an interesting point: how are they going to fit Hidden Power Fairy into the existing IV system? They're backwards-compatible, so...
Simple: either not include it as an option, like Hidden Power Normal, or change the Hidden Power system to work off of something other than IVs.

That's an interesting point: how are they going to fit Hidden Power Fairy into the existing IV system? They're backwards-compatible, so the IV system must be roughly the same.
Are you from the old games > Hold on to the typing
Are you new > New system

this isn't hard, probably????

That would be perfect! It would make breeding so much easier, too; I really hope that's what they've done now.
It takes some of the fun out of it being "hidden", but then again, most devout competitors already know which HP types to expect on which Pokémon. It makes it easier for those of us who don't worry too much about absolutely perfect IVs who also happen to train Pokémon that need a coverage move to a type they can't access.

However, I've agreed with the theory that R N just posted for a good while now. The work put into finding a Pokémon with the ideal HP type makes having it feel more rewarding.

Are you from the old games > Hold on to the typing
Are you new > New system

this isn't hard, probably????
I at first thought it was more complicated than that, but actually, considering that pokemon will be transferred through the cloud via Pokemon Bank, they could probably program that without too much trouble.

It takes some of the fun out of it being "hidden", but then again, most devout competitors already know which HP types to expect on which Pokémon. It makes it easier for those of us who don't worry too much about absolutely perfect IVs who also happen to train Pokémon that need a coverage move to a type they can't access.

However, I've agreed with the theory that R N just posted for a good while now. The work put into finding a Pokémon with the ideal HP type makes having it feel more rewarding.
That's true.

They could just change the the types which are most common (~8% of IV spreads [which is bug, fighting, and grass]) to be less common and give those IV spreads to HP fairy.

The easiest thing would be to assign Fairy to the redundant spreads of other types. I know fighting, for example, has more than one possible IV spread.

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
The easiest thing would be to assign Fairy to the redundant spreads of other types. I know fighting, for example, has more than one possible IV spread.
It's not as simple as replacing a type. It's determined by a formula. If a type were added by simply increasing the amount of possible types, it will mess with the IV combinations - there will be no 31 speed HP Ice combinations for instance.

Well, it's coded in, just no IV spreads access it.
See above, it's not programmed in - it explicitly can't be selected.

On a side note:
There is precedence for having two sets of legendary trios in one gen, and kind of making them version exclusives (Swords and Genie trios, Thundurus and Tornadus being exclusives).
Just drop it in to HP Normal or Dragons position imo.

More professionally I think they should just overhaul hidden powers.
HP Dragon exists. But no one uses it because Ice also exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)