Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not as simple as replacing a type. It's determined by a formula. If a type were added by simply increasing the amount of possible types, it will mess with the IV combinations - there will be no 31 speed HP Ice combinations for instance.

See above, it's not programmed in - it explicitly can't be selected.
There is already no 31 Speed IV HP Fire, that might just be a sacrifice that has to be made. How else would they change it short of just giving you the option to choose your Type and Power?

It's not as simple as replacing a type. It's determined by a formula. If a type were added by simply increasing the amount of possible types, it will mess with the IV combinations - there will be no 31 speed HP Ice combinations for instance.

See above, it's not programmed in - it explicitly can't be selected.
Never mind. I misread Bulbapedia.

Steel is also immune to poison and Ice Types are immune to freeze
Woah! I worded that wrong, the rest of that says, "Poison and Fire types are the only ones with status immunities that represent their respective status" and I completely forgot Ice, so that's only my fault, just glad to see Electric joining the party. What is this that I'm seeing about Tri Attack still freezing them? Does this apply to Fire types?

Rating Battle Etiquette: "After receiving many requests from players who enjoyed battling online with Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version, Pokémon Black Version 2, and Pokémon White Version 2, we have responded by ruling that any Trainer who disconnects from the server in the middle of battle, regardless of reason or circumstance, will have the battle recorded as a loss, and accordingly experience a drop in rating. When you are battling online, please be sure that you have a reliable Internet connection, and play fairly and with consideration for your fellow Trainers!"
Source: Pokemonxy.com

How have we gone so far without mentioning this? Amazing, simply amazing, it just makes me want to give a hug to everyone in this thread.

You all don't know the pain I've gone through with almost every screen turning blue and saying the words "Communication error". X and Y is now officially the best gen ever, if it wasn't already.

Rating Battle Etiquette: "After receiving many requests from players who enjoyed battling online with Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version, Pokémon Black Version 2, and Pokémon White Version 2, we have responded by ruling that any Trainer who disconnects from the server in the middle of battle, regardless of reason or circumstance, will have the battle recorded as a loss, and accordingly experience a drop in rating. When you are battling online, please be sure that you have a reliable Internet connection, and play fairly and with consideration for your fellow Trainers!"
Source: Pokemonxy.com

How have we gone so far without mentioning this? Amazing, simply amazing, it just makes me want to give a hug to everyone in this thread.

You all don't know the pain I've gone through with almost every screen turning blue and saying the words "Communication error". X and Y is now officially the best gen ever, if it wasn't already.
Yeah, it's almost 2014. It sounded harsh a few years ago, but if you can afford a 3DS and a Pokemon game, no reason you can't find a reliable wireless router.
No excuse for disconnections by now.

How have we gone so far without mentioning this? Amazing, simply amazing, it just makes me want to give a hug to everyone in this thread. You all don't know the pain I've gone through with almost every screen turning blue and saying the words "Communication error". X and Y is now officially the best gen ever, if it wasn't already.
I shared the same pain as you did on wi-fi matches in BW/BW2.

Rating Battle Etiquette: "After receiving many requests from players who enjoyed battling online with Pokémon Black Version, Pokémon White Version, Pokémon Black Version 2, and Pokémon White Version 2, we have responded by ruling that any Trainer who disconnects from the server in the middle of battle, regardless of reason or circumstance, will have the battle recorded as a loss, and accordingly experience a drop in rating."
The way they worded this... is this how they filtered all the rage replies from people who get dc'ed in their face? :/ Because we know none of them enjoyed that.

Regarding the Wi-Fi win/loss, it's about time this has happened. It needed to be that way from the beginning. Although it doesn't mention that the remaining player gets a win recorded. It would be a shame if they don't, as there would be some people who'd still disconnect just to stop the other guy getting a win, even if they get the loss.

Regarding the Wi-Fi win/loss, it's about time this has happened. It needed to be that way from the beginning. Although it doesn't mention that the remaining player gets a win recorded. It would be a shame if they don't, as there would be some people who'd still disconnect just to stop the other guy getting a win, even if they get the loss.
That's true. And with the increased popularity of X and Y catering to newcomers, many more trolls may run loose on wi-fi.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Jumpng off track a little (this post was largely written before The_Eevee_General posted), I got a sudden past-midnight urge to think loudly about abilities.

We know that in every generation since the third, new abilities have been released. And, most new abilities were given not only to the Pokémon introduced in the same generation, but also from older generations. The few exceptions that I know of are signature abilities (such as Flower Gift or Air Lock). Every time new abilities have been released, they have been distributed across generations.

This logically means that the new abilities we see in Gen. VI should also be available to Pokémon from Gen. I - V, somehow.

Thing is, how can they introduce them? Most Pokémon already have two abilities to be available during in-game play, and one hidden ability reserved for "special encounters" such as Dream World, events or the Hidden Hollows. Could they possibly slap a fourth ability to some Pokémon's roster? Would the fourth ability be exclusive to even-more-special events, or will there be two hidden abilities? And wouldn't the poor single-ability 'mons start feeling slightly left behind now?

We know that many Gen. VI Pokémon can have two possible abilities. Inkay, Malamar, Dedenne and Bunnelby (probably among others) all have two confirmed abilities. This points in the direction of the "two normal, one special" ability setup we've had in Gen. V. Still, I don't think it would make any sense to "fill in the holes", that is, only give new abilities to Pokémon without three different abilities already.

Could the Dream World abilities be a thing of Gen. V, being replaced by new "special" abilities in Gen. VI? Like some Gen. III move tutors stayed relevant well into the fifth generation (are any of them still?), will the only way to get some Dream World abilities in the future be transferring a Pokémon all the way from Gen. V, or by obscure events?

Perhaps the new abilities will be available for old Pokémon, but only when they Mega Evolve? Will GameFreak throw a curve ball, and let Gen. VI abilities stay exclusive to Gen. VI Pokémon? There are many new abilities that fit thematically well with old Pokémon (Fur Coat Mamoswine, Refridgerate Regice, Strong Jaw Feraligatr). Like old Pokémon tend to get new moves, they also tend to get new abilities. It's the way of keeping the power creep even between generations, everybody get their share of the new tools. I think we'll see new abilities on old Pokémon somehow, and I'm intrigued to see how.

P.S.: And what about the seventh generation? I wonder if the entire Ability system will survive this decade.

Jumpng off track a little (this post was largely written before The_Eevee_General posted), I got a sudden past-midnight urge to think loudly about abilities.

We know that in every generation since the third, new abilities have been released. And, most new abilities were given not only to the Pokémon introduced in the same generation, but also from older generations. The few exceptions that I know of are signature abilities (such as Flower Gift or Air Lock). Every time new abilities have been released, they have been distributed across generations.

This logically means that the new abilities we see in Gen. VI should also be available to Pokémon from Gen. I - V, somehow.

Thing is, how can they introduce them? Most Pokémon already have two abilities to be available during in-game play, and one hidden ability reserved for "special encounters" such as Dream World, events or the Hidden Hollows. Could they possibly slap a fourth ability to some Pokémon's roster? Would the fourth ability be exclusive to even-more-special events, or will there be two hidden abilities? And wouldn't the poor single-ability 'mons start feeling slightly left behind now?

We know that many Gen. VI Pokémon can have two possible abilities. Inkay, Malamar, Dedenne and Bunnelby (probably among others) all have two confirmed abilities. This points in the direction of the "two normal, one special" ability setup we've had in Gen. V. Still, I don't think it would make any sense to "fill in the holes", that is, only give new abilities to Pokémon without three different abilities already.

Could the Dream World abilities be a thing of Gen. V, being replaced by new "special" abilities in Gen. VI? Like some Gen. III move tutors stayed relevant well into the fifth generation (are any of them still?), will the only way to get some Dream World abilities in the future be transferring a Pokémon all the way from Gen. V, or by obscure events?

Perhaps the new abilities will be available for old Pokémon, but only when they Mega Evolve? Will GameFreak throw a curve ball, and let Gen. VI abilities stay exclusive to Gen. VI Pokémon? There are many new abilities that fit thematically well with old Pokémon (Fur Coat Mamoswine, Refridgerate Regice, Strong Jaw Feraligatr). Like old Pokémon tend to get new moves, they also tend to get new abilities. It's the way of keeping the power creep even between generations, everybody get their share of the new tools. I think we'll see new abilities on old Pokémon somehow, and I'm intrigued to see how.

P.S.: And what about the seventh generation? I wonder if the entire Ability system will survive this decade.
I think they should have an Ability Tutor and Ability Relearner, just like move tutor and move relearner. It would basically replace your current ability. That would solve the issue you presented. Basically abilities are treated like move slots, but there is just one slot that can be replaced.

They should ditch the 1 ability system and just give mons all the abilities they could possibly have... lol

Seriously though, they need to rework the 2 normal abilities w/Hidden Ability thing. All abilities should be available through breeding or found naturally in the wild.

I am still very upset that ices types have NO DEFENCE BOOST in hail
. In fact there is really nothing notable about ice types.....I hope ice types get a sleep powder move that freezes the pokemon instantly....I think then people will start using ice types more as only ice types can't be frozen. Come on Gamefreak make it happen because you didn't give them any resistances so this MAKES SENSE.
Sounds broken

I wouldn't be surprised to see some hidden abilities for older pokemon change, specifically for those pokemon which were never officially released in the DW; there's a good possibility for a second hidden ability, too. Beyond that, I don't see major changes to the ability system core for this generation, Hidden abilities were never fully worked out - most notably for how badly they're handled on legends and male-only pokemon species.

There is precedence for having two sets of legendary trios in one gen, and kind of making them version exclusives (Swords and Genie trios, Thundurus and Tornadus being exclusives).

HP Dragon exists. But no one uses it because Ice also exists.
Unown can run HP Dragon.

Okey no. But still HP dragon is pretty much pointless since most of pokes that "need" dragon moves has access to either outrage/Dragon claw or Dragon pulse.
If you need a dragon move, you get draco meteor, which does more over three turns even when factoring in that SpA drop

Yes because sleep has a,max 3 turns of being asleep. Where as freezes doesnt have max turns but percentages of being frozen.Meanimg you have a chance.to be.frozen forever
Yes, but unlike sleep, in sun you can't be frozen. Plus, scald is a lot more widespread than sleep talk.

If you need a dragon move, you get draco meteor, which does more over three turns even when factoring in that SpA drop
But I said that HP Dragon is pointless unless you want to troll people, like the guy in the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)