Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of them were coined by Meowth, waaaaay back when generation 3 was still a new thing. Dude was one of those mathematical/programming/code geniuses who tore the game's code apart to explain to all of us how Pokemon worked. He was the boyfriend of Purple Kecleon, for a bit, if that rings a bell.
That's about what I figured, I remember Pokemon Forever.

So doesn't it seem backwards to anyone else that we talk about Game Freak misusing the term "base stats" when we're the ones misusing it? I'd just call them Species Values, or SV to go with the EV/IV (and for the old-timers, DV) theme.

Will we really not know the BST for pokemon when X and Y hit? I know the 3DS itself is a ways off from being hacked, but haven't the games been cracked at all? At least to the point where we'd be able to determine some of the finer points such as base stats etc?
There's a possibility that this information may be released via an official guide or even within the game itself, since they are aware of how important these values are to us now. But while the release of Pokemon will influence a veritable surge of hacking and analysis attempts from both corporate sources (Datel) and the 'net at large, I do not expect anyone to gain significant inner workings of the software for at least a year after the game's release.

Pokebeach's leaked information doesn't make sense to me.
It would make sense if Chespin3 was Fight, and Froakie3 was Dark.
Since Chespin is the Knight and Froakie the thief....
Dark Knights, Light Ninjas and White Witches are all common things.

Maybe they're bringing back the Gen I Hyper Beam mechanics and applying it to other charge moves?

"Hyper Beam will not require a recharge turn if it misses, breaks a substitute, defeats the target, or if the user is targeted by a partial trapping move (even if it misses), flinches, or is put to sleep after the attack but before the recharge turn."

That'd be kind of cool. See, I didn't know that stuff when I was eight years old, but now I'm 23 and I'll know how to abuse the crap out of it; in-game at least. Sure, I could used this knowledge when I was getting thrashed by Hyper Beam Teams in Pokemon Stadium, but whatever.
It'd be really nice. I've long felt that all the Hyper Beams should go back to Gen I style and all the two-turn charge moves need to have some benefit the first turn (like Skull Bash) or come with significant flinch or status chance (like Sky Attack and Bounce; arguably SA's should be higher or also carry priority).

And?

That's not the matter. Froakie doesn't look "Lightish" he looks rather Dark type. Same logic goes for Chespin.
Seedot doesn't look all the dark before it evolves into its Grass/Dark form, though. And on most starters, while the Basic to Stage 1 resemblance is definite, Stage 2s that very closely resemble Stage 1 are uncommon where the Stage 2 is differently typed than the Stage 1.

Not a perfect reverse triangle, since Steel's resisted by fire. Granted, Sinnoh didn't do a perfect triangle either. Would be very interesting, but I'd be surprised if they made one of the starters Fairy type on its debut generation. That's almost tantamount to saying "you lost out on the fun stuff!" to anyone who didn't go Fire.

Hyper Fang was the only attack with base damage that I imagine would be applied.

I guess an argument could be made for Vicegrip? Still probably unlikely.
Discovered Poison Fang and Bug Bite while looking, but Bug Bite doesn't seem too good for this mon and Poison Fang has horrible BP.

So basically we'd like new fang moves please

edit: Ninja'd on Poison Fang

So... would it be better to preorder the strategy guide, or to wait for general stats, movesets, typings, and evolution methods to show up online?

Specifically, hopefully a physical version of Spacial Rend called Dragon Rend for Tyrunt's evolution to learn that's also breedable onto every other Pokemon that looks like a dragon.
Dragon Jaw
BP: 100 (or 90)
Acc: 95 (100 if BP is 90)
PP: 10
Effect: High Critical Hit Ratio

Learnable naturally by Tyrunt, Druddigan, and Aerodactyl and breedable onto the likes of Garchomp, Aggron, and Salamence. Its purpose is to provide a decent alternative to Outrage and as a consolation for Fairies existing. Assuming Strong Jaw's boost is 50%, this will make a beast out of the Tyrunt line. So much yes. Also:

Stone Jaw
BP: 80
Acc: 100
PP: 15
Effect: 20% chance to lower Defense one stage

Learnable naturally by Tyrunt, possible to get onto many fanged Pokemon, great alternative to Stone Miss and becomes 120 BP with Strong Jaw. Between this, Dragon Jaw, and Fire Fang, (now almost 100 power) Tyrunt and evo are the new premier dragons. [/dreaming]

You kids don't all have smartphones nowadays?
They won't let us use them in class...

What pokemon guide has ever not?
I've been staring at the guide on Amazon thinking about pre-ordering it.
Here's what it says is included:
Here’s what you’ll find inside:

• Premium hardcover binding—dust jacket includes region map!

• A complete walkthrough of all the Gym Badges!

• Detailed information on all the new game features, from Sky Battles and Horde Encounters to Pokémon-Amie and more!

• A guide to where to find hidden items and special Pokémon—with a location index!

• Hints on the best ways to use Roller Skates, ride Pokémon, and challenge Gym Leaders!

• A super effective 4.78” x 7.18” premium fiber Pokémon screen cleaner to keep your Nintendo 3DS™ system looking sharp!

• Helpful tips and tricks for getting the most out of the PSS and online play!

• An updated type matchup chart that includes the all-new Fairy type!

• Pullout map to guide you through the Kalos region!
Nothing about movesets, stats, etc. I think they'll release a detailed Pokedex separately that will have all this stuff. I was hoping for something similar to the Ruby/Sapphire guide, which was the last one I bought, but this doesn't sound like it. It sounds like a walkthrough of the storyline with Pokemon locations and that's about it.
Plus a new $12 hardcover makes me kind of suspicious. I'm waiting for more details.

It's more likely Strong Jaw boosts the power of "biting" moves by 30% (a la Sheer Force and Reckless) or even more likely by 20% (like its direct cousin Iron Fist). Few abilities boost by more without a drawback (see Technician affecting low BP moves and Huge/Pure Power on Pokemon with ASS Attack); hell, Reckless and Sheer Force have a drawback too. I'd say 20% is safe, unless Iron Fist gets an increase as well.

Dragon Jaw
BP: 100 (or 90)
Acc: 95 (100 if BP is 90)
PP: 10
Effect: High Critical Hit Ratio

Learnable naturally by Tyrunt, Druddigan, and Aerodactyl and breedable onto the likes of Garchomp, Aggron, and Salamence. Its purpose is to provide a decent alternative to Outrage and as a consolation for Fairies existing. Assuming Strong Jaw's boost is 50%, this will make a beast out of the Tyrunt line. So much yes. Also:

Stone Jaw
BP: 80
Acc: 100
PP: 15
Effect: 20% chance to lower Defense one stage

Learnable naturally by Tyrunt, possible to get onto many fanged Pokemon, great alternative to Stone Miss and becomes 120 BP with Strong Jaw. Between this, Dragon Jaw, and Fire Fang, (now almost 100 power) Tyrunt and evo are the new premier dragons. [/dreaming]

They won't let us use them in class...
I approve of this message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)