Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

Closest to completing the pokedex? My living pokedex I had in Platinum. One of every species available in Gen 4, I felt so accomplished! Now that XY is coming out with more and they look super cool in 3D, I might just have to try it again.

And I don't know that I've ever reached level 100 with any one pokemon. I think the closest I've gotten was my team in Ruby to level 92. Blaziken, Milotic, Roselia, Flygon, Metagross, and Zangoose. Ah the memories.

My first Level 100 Pokemon... ah, the memories.
It was Sceptile in my Sapphire... when I was bored I liked to grind against the E4 (because I sucked at the battle tower) with my level 90-ish Sceptile and Machamp. Then I traded it to Ruby to beat the league, where it hit the Level 100 mark. I finally had equal bragging rights with my friend and his Level 100 Swampert!
I didn't get another level 100 mon until years later, in Black 2. Because of how easy it is to level in BW2 (Sports arenas + Join Avenue), I now have 4 trained Level 100 mons (Lucario, Zoroark, Latios, Cinccino) and 3 event level 100 mons (Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia).

Unfortunately I lost my Sapphire somewhere along the way, and Sceptile with it. I'll never forget it.

I am late to the party and so I a going to try and answer all of the previous questions up to the most recent, if that’s ok.

1) My first memory of Pokémon comes from the anime, which used to be broadcast during the early morning hours just before I had to go outside to wait for the school bus. From what I remember, my sister had been watching it and told my younger brother and myself about it. The first episode I saw was called “Tenacool vs. Tentacruel,” I believe, and after seeing that episode I began watching the show every morning. One day I was discussing Pokémon with a classmate and said something about Charmander being my favorite. Another kid overheard our discussion and commented that Charmander was the worst Pokémon to choose (referring to type matchups vs. early gym leaders), and I had no idea what he was talking about; in fact, I had no idea Pokémon was a videogame at all! From that interaction I learned about Pokémon Red and Blue. I received Red version and a blue Gameboy Pocket for Christmas that same year. My first memory from playing the game is sort of humorous. I had never played an RPG before, and had no idea what to do once I was in control of the character. It took a few minutes to figure out, with my sister’s help, that you had to try and leave Pallet Town for the game to really start.

2) My first experience with a shiny Pokémon isn’t anything special as it was the Lake of Rage Gyarados in Gold version. The first and only time I’ve encountered one (without RNGing) was in Leaf Green. I was going into Icefall Cave and a shiny Slowpoke appeared, which I evolved into Slowking (my favorite (aesthetically) of that line). I remember migrating it to Pearl, but lost it when I restarted L

3) The closest I’ve come to catching ‘em all was in Black version. I have around 550.

4) Even though I’ve been playing since Red version, I can’t remember reaching level 100 until White 2. I leveled Espeon (my favorite Pokémon) to 100 shortly after becoming champion.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Back in Yellow, my first level 100 Pokemon was Clefable. I thought Metronome was the best thing ever. I mean, it can call upon super strong moves such as Fissure, Blizzard, and Hydro Pump, what's not to like? It even used moves I had no idea existed (examples: Dizzy Punch, ROLLING KICK (i thought hitmonchan was cooler ok??), and Substitute (still had no idea what it really did but it hurt me so I thought it was a horrible move)). Well, there are the times it likes to Metronome Selfdestruct and Explosion but that's ok I still love it. I don't even remember its other three moves, Metronome was all I needed. It wasn't until I battled my old friend's older brother on Pokemon Stadium, my super awesome Clefable vs his Jolteon, that I realized Clefable wasn't the best thing ever. :( I mean that lightning doggy seriously just 2 shotted cleffy. What the heck...

Last edited:
Day 1: I was that awful little brother who accidentally deleted the save file on my brother's Red version. He never let me forget it and to this day I feel such shame. My first game was Pokemon Gold, given to me for my eighth birthday along with a lime green Gameboy Color - this remains the greatest birthday I've ever had, and began my lifelong obsession with Pokemon. I remember that they banned Pokemon cards at my primary school because they caused so many arguments - if you were sneaky, you could convince someone that a Diglett + a Bulbasaur was worth the same as a Starmie. I never bought the cards myself but I ended up with a huge collection just from swapping. Rad times.

Day 2: The only significant shinies I remember are the Weedle my brother found in Gold (which he named Penis) and the Mew I found in Emerald - unfortunately the latter was in an emulator, I had ARed the Mew event but the shiny was purely luck. Blue Mew looks awesome.

Day 3: I don't think I've ever caught 'em all. Guess this should be a goal for Gen6!

Day 4: My Level 100 Blastoise in Blue was my first fully levelled 'mon. His name was Thun and he destroyed everything with his Skull Bash.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Day 4: My first level 100 Pokémon was a Dragonite in Gold version. I had taught it Fly, Blizzard, Thunder, and Hyper Beam (I was like 7 then. DON'T JUDGE ME!!!). It could practically sweep the entire E4 by itself.

My First lvl 100 pokemon was Pringles the Jellicent. In pokemon white I had a great team that I traded from another cartridge that I hatched from eggs. I did not special breed them or anything so it was still not very viable but I can only remember the joy I got after single handedly beating the league with him 3 times to get him leveled up. I still have him today and always will.

Osiris

Glasses Jacket Shirt Man
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Day 1: What is your first memory of Pokémon?
My oldest memory is my older brother and I battling via link cable Red vs. Blue and some Gengar-ish looking creature popped up on my screen and the game froze. We were scared as hell.
Day 2: What was your first experience with a shiny Pokémon?
My first Shiny pokemon I caught was a Zubat in Crystal. I then found out we couldn't transfer to R/S/E. I was so upset.
Day 3: How close have you come to "catching 'em all"?
I've never really tried but I've gotten about 200/489? (However many in Sinnoh)
Day 4: What was your first level 100 Pokémon?
Blastoise. I don't even remember how. But I remember it was Blastoise.​

The first time I ever heard about "Pokey-mon" was back around early '98. I had a subscription to GamePro and they ran a big article on the whole shebang that was taking Japan by storm, including Pokemon Red/Green and the upcoming N64 games. It didn't take much to get me hyped, since I was already a huge fan of RPGs, but what really sold me was the social aspect. Sure, I could get a good story and team-building mechanics in other role-playing titles, but the fact that I could raise my own custom army of cuddly killer critters, link 'em up with others and make 'em fight, trade 'em, and even upload them into memory cards just added several layers of awesome to it all. Like, if Final Fantasy was a club sandwich, Pokemon was gonna be like one of those 8-tier mega sandwiches Shaggy makes on Scooby Doo when he gets his totally-not-stoner-munchies. Later that year I dusted off my faded beige Game Boy brick and loaded it with its blue plastic passenger. Destination: Kanto. Then Radio Shack for batteries. Then Kanto.

I saw a shiny Rattata on my... second? Yeah, let's say second play-through of Silver. Unfortunately I was sans-balls at the time and had to put it down, but it sure left a beautiful corpse.

Not even remotely. I guess Blue was the closest I got by default, but I don't think I even caught everything in that version alone. I'm a slacker, but then again so is Ash and the boy's even got his own show.

See, this is kinda tricky since I'm pretty sure I just Missingo'd a bajillion rare candies in Blue, so it's probably a six-way tie between whatever was on my team at the time.

My first level 100 was Dile the Feraligatr in Pokemon Silver. Man I loved that guy despite the worst moveset of Surf, Waterfall, Strength and Icy Wind.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Agh I have never trained a Pokemon to level 100 -- the closest I have ever come is a Scyther in Pokemon Heartgold - level 97. I traded over that Scyther to my Pokemon Diamond because I was having trouble with Lucian (gdi lucian) and he nicely destroyed Lucian for me, I even copied him onto Pokemon Battle Revolution! I traded him back to his home in Johto and I decided that I should do a solo run with him booting him to level 100, so let's just put him on the Pokewalker, reset the game and trade him back into the game!

;~; ;~; ;~; ;~; ;~; ;~; ;~;

Bull of Heaven

Alakazam, Silver version. Early in my adventure I bought a Game Corner Abra, gave it some TMs and was amazed at how much ass it promptly kicked. Its final moveset was Psychic, Fire Punch, Recover and Flash, and I would have it solo Red fairly often just because I was so proud that it could. Alakazam was easily stronger than any of my brother's Pokemon, and he would sometimes borrow it to help with troublesome opponents in his Gold version. Then one day he forgot to return it before restarting his game. My second level 100 Pokemon was the Espeon that I trained partly to replace Alakazam.

As for the previous question, I'm not sure about "'em all," but I have completed the Hoenn Dex (minus Jirachi and Deoxys) on two separate occasions to get a Johto starter in Emerald. In Sapphire, which is by far my oldest file right now, I have 263/386.

My first level 100 was Dile the Feraligatr in Pokemon Silver. Man I loved that guy despite the worst moveset of Surf, Waterfall, Strength and Icy Wind.
Don't worry, that's not the worst moveset. Mine had Hydro Pump, Surf, Whirlpool and Cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Wow, its been so long since then.
It was actually an entire team, Pokemon Platinum, about the 10th consecutive playthrough, and i was a tlast comfortable with it: Empoleon/Roserade/Togekiss/Garchomp/Gallade/Weavile. My best in-game team ever, and the first i leveled up to 100, since i was obsessed with beating the crap outta my rival after going through the Elite 4 50 times, the first one in those 6 that went to the max was chomp, after all, he is my favorite pokemon :]

I once got a level 100 swampert in Emerald, but i don't feel as though it counts as i hoarded 10 rare candies so all i had to do was train it to level 90
But in White 2, N's Zoroark is ridiculously easy to train with bonus exp from the trade + lucky egg! It really wasn't difficult at all to reach 100

Urgh hard question, it was like 12+ years ago :c probably Pikachu or Mewtwo on Pokémon Yellow but really I don't remember

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
An Articuno I had all the way back on my first Red Cart... I used to solo the E4 over and over again with that Bird just enjoying leveling it. After that my single other Lv 100 is my Salamence from Gen 3, which I brought all the way up from a little Bagon. I am pretty sure his EVs/IVs are terrible, but he never left my side and has won all manner of Ribbons and Leagues... He was the sole reason I managed to beat Steven (I burnt his Metagross with EMBER) and that allowed Swampert to come in and kill it with Earthquake. He also helped me beat the Sinnoh League more than once leveling other Pokemon. Between him and Magcargo they were my "breeding pair" so I could fly/hatch eggs faster. This job has since been taken over by Volcarona who can do both :(

My first level 100 Pokemon was Burnsy the Typhlosion in Silver. It took forever, though. GSC has such a horrible level curve. And it got boring really quickly, having to challenge the Elite 4, go through Mt. Silver (with repels, I'd miss out on valuable experience; without repels, navigating the place took forever with all those Pokémon popping up every 5 seconds), defeat Red, and repeat the whole tedious process. But when I saw that level reach 100, I knew all of that tedious grinding was worth it.

I very vaguely remember seeing an episode of the anime when watching TV with my younger brother. At least I think it was pokemon, the memory's hazy enough that it could be anything.
My first definite memory was coming to school one day and finding everyone obsessed with some weird cards with monsters on them. I had no idea what they were, but two people gave some cards, a meowth and a weepinbel. From there I became incredibly obsessed.

During a replay of silver I found a red raticate just north of olivine. I knew about the gyarados but I never realised other pokemon could change colour. Named it Redrat; Sadly he's now lost to internal battery failure but I chained a new Redrat on platinum a few years back.
My oldest shiny that I still have is Nidopink the nidoran, now a nidoqueen from the Fire Red safari zone.

I have all of them on W1 and all but deoxys (the delivery man has one but I can't be bothered to reset for it) on W2. I obtained nearly every event myself (a major achievement in the UK), except for celebi. My celebi appears to be the event one, but in hindsight suspect its not actually legit because the guy who gave me it was handing them out like nothing. I hope pokemon bank doesn't object to it.

Its worth noting that I had 648/649 before they announced gen 6. I'll probably never truly have them all.

Prior to that I reached 150/151 on blue (mew was hacked), only for a loose connection on the link cable to get me stuck with a corrupted charizard before I could get a dragonite. I was not pleased.

Feraligatr. Silver. It solo'd the elite four many times, despite almost certainly knowing 3 water moves and strength. I'm not great at getting pokemon to level 100.
My oldest level 100s that I still have are Moonlight the umbreon and Sunny cat the espeon from pokemon Colosseum.

Charizard in Fire Red. I grinded and grinded using the vs seeker on one of those islands, fighting the battle girl and then healing at the hot springs right next door. It knew Blast Burn, Fire Blast, Flamethrower and Fly lol. Since then I have trained countless Pokémon to lvl 100. Over 5 boxes full

Day 4:
Ah. Dat Lugia from Pokemon silver. I remeber that I spent all PP for all moves training it in mt. silver. The last two levels I used struggle + potions. No need to waste time using an escape rope and poké centers.

LilOu

PO poopyhead

Back in those days, Pokémon Emerald was THE game. I got it from a friend who gave it to me for a few days, he had all the TMs and I asked him why didn't he use them on his Pokémons, he told me that he wanted to get his Rayquaza to lvl 100 first, so I decided to take that quest.

It was a really difficult quest. Hell, you know how much time did it take to lvl the Rayquaza from 99 to 100? I spent days in the Elite Four until it finally lvl'd up. It was a goddam lvl 100 green worm with Dragon-type attacks. I was so happy, but then I heard that if you give a Rare Candy to a lvl 100 Pokémon, it goes to lvl 101. I was like OMG. I went to Littleroot town and explored every single suspicious spot where I could find a Hidden Item, possibly obtaining a Rare Candy. Eventually I found one; however, you know what happened. It didn't have any effect. Cry.

Even so, I'm still asking me how can this be possible:

Day 1:
Interesting... In Elementary school, I loved the show Digimon Tamers. I watched it every time it came on. I played games such as Digimon World and Digimon World 3. When I first heard about Pokemon, I assumed that Digimon and Pokemon games were incredibility similar. I asked for the latest Pokemon game, Pokemon Emerald, for my Birthday. My parents bought me it, and I started to play immediately. Today, I am glad that I got involved in playing Pokemon.
Day 2:
My first shiny pokemon was a Ralts in Pokemon Emerald that I called Pearl. Pearl was also the first pokemon I had ever caught in the wild on a Pokemon game. At the time, I actually thought it was a bugged pokemon. It is a good thing that my young mind decided to keep it and continue using it. I used it in every gym battle and Elite 4 match in Pokemon Emerald. Even today, I name one of playthrough pokemon of each pokemon game Pearl.
Day 3:
The closest I have come to catching them all is in Pokemon Platinum. I went to every Gamestop event, traded from Pokemon Colosseum, traded from Pokemon XD:Gale of Darkness, traded from Pokemon Emerald, traded from FireRed, traded using the global trade system, and caught my own pokemon in game. The only pokemon I am missing is Deoxys.
Day 4:
I had some close ones at the time that are level 100 now, such as Pearl, Swampert, and Empoleon; however, I believe that my first level 100 pokemon was Luna the Umbreon on Pokemon Colosseum.

Last edited:
Day 1: my mom bought me some pokemon cards in elementary school Jungle pack got me into the series I still remember the holographic Ninetails that was there :) eventually got me into the games now I only play the games( I gave away/sold all my TCG collections to combat OCD)
Day 2:the first non red Gyarados was in gen 3 where I met a Goldeen from the safari zone in Fire red... It was the safari zone nothing more needs to be said...(soon followed my a Leaf Green failed encounter with an Exeggcute that likewise ended in disaster) My first successful encounter with a shiny was while training in Victory road in Peral where a shiny Crobat appeared I still have it.
Day 3: In generation 4 due to the GTS and being able to assess the events for the event only Pokemon I was able to acquire a pokedex total of 493 in generation 4 unfortunately the majority of this collection remains in gen 4 scattered among 4 games...(with a large part abysmal IV's and Natures)

Day 4:The highest I reached in Gen 2 was upper 70's before battery death so my first lv 100's appeared in Firered thanks to the vs seeker(I didn't learn about the importance IV's Ev's and natures until) generation 4)It was either Charizard or Zapdos as I really only used Charizard and Zapdos at first...(these were soon followed by other Pokemon but Firered was the first time I bothered past the 70's/80's)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)