The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen OU Metagame [VOTING OVER]

ok guys i know i voted for genesect, but lets get something straight: Genesect broke 50% usage in a suspect test, NOT A MONTHS WORTH OF USAGE.

with that said, I would love for someone to name a pokemon that could switch into Genesect without fear. Just look at Lord of Bays signature. It perfectly sums up Genesect.

EDIT: thank you fluffystantler

Last edited:
ok guys i know i voted for genesect, but lets get something straight: Genesect broke 50% usage in a suspect test, NOT A MONTHS WORTH OF USAGE.

with that said, I would love for someone to name a pokemon that could switch into Genesect without fear. I forget who has it in their signature, but they have a comparison of Genesect to the terminator because it was terrifying facing it but incredibly awesome when it was on your side.
shed shell tran, even though it was pretty damn terrible rofl. also the person who has the sig posted right above you, hope that helps :)

with that said, I would love for someone to name a pokemon that could switch into Genesect without fear. I forget who has it in their signature, but they have a comparison of Genesect to the terminator because it was terrifying facing it but incredibly awesome when it was on your side.
Nothing can switch into Terrakion/Venusaur/Dragonite/Keldeo/lotsofstuff without fear, but you can play around them if you have a brain.
Genesect was just popular because it fit nicely onto loads of playstyles and was kewl(basically Scizor 2.0)

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Sun is very good an can beat basically any playstyle. It can be very dangerous and is extremely powerful in the right hands. Sun sweepers like Venusaur are much stronger than you say they are, and Volcorona basically can destroy the majority of simple offense teams after rocks is down, especially under sun. Sun is not terrible in OU, and Lavos did not make the "only good sun team this gen." Do you have any idea how many other good teams there were? I don't even know why i'm bothering to try to argue with a guy who said Latias was D Rank, but I need to clarify this. Threads like these don't really "work" as people have different definitions and experiences and skill-gaps. The entire situation is just improbable to create a definite list.

Now get back on god damn topic.

Genesect

Nothing can switch into Terrakion/Venusaur/Dragonite/Keldeo/lotsofstuff without fear, but you can play around them if you have a brain.
Genesect was just popular because it fit nicely onto loads of playstyles and was kewl(basically Scizor 2.0)
There's a ton of shit that doesn't mind switching into Keldeo. The Blobs and Heatran don't mind Venusaur. Steels in the Rain do work against D-nite. Terrakion has niche counters like the Nido's and Golurk plus Toxicroak and Lando-T can switch in without almost no fear. It took an EXTREMELY niche strategy for a pokemon not to give a shit about switching into Genesect and that consisted of using Shed Shell and that was only good once.

I vote genesect. He was just amazing, with stab u-turn rivaling Scizor's, as well as excellent special attack and incredible coverage. With a choice scarf and Download he was able to create many 50-50 scenarios.

There's a ton of shit that doesn't mind switching into Keldeo. The Blobs and Heatran don't mind Venusaur. Steels in the Rain do work against D-nite. Terrakion has niche counters like the Nido's and Golurk plus Toxicroak and Lando-T can switch in without almost no fear. It took an EXTREMELY niche strategy for a pokemon not to give a shit about switching into Genesect and that consisted of using Shed Shell and that was only good once.
Modest Specs Keldeo in rain 2HKO's the entire metagame.
Heatran fears EQ, the blobs lose 1v1 thanks to giga drain and a toxic immunity..
252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Thunder vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 398-471 (121.71 - 144.03%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76 Atk Life Orb Dragonite Superpower vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 213-252 (60.51 - 71.59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
76 Atk Life Orb Dragonite Aqua Tail vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Heatran in rain: 325-385 (84.41 - 100%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO
Nidos and toxicroak fear EQ, Lando-T fears HP ice or rock gem stone edge.
Golurk is an EXTREMELY niche pokemon to counter terrakion, and it can only switch in once.

Modest Specs Keldeo in rain 2HKO's the entire metagame. WRONG check the calcs.
Heatran fears EQ, the blobs lose 1v1 thanks to giga drain and a toxic immunity.. Heatran rarely, blobs...WRONG check the calcs.
252+ SpA Life Orb Dragonite Thunder vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 398-471 (121.71 - 144.03%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76 Atk Life Orb Dragonite Superpower vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 213-252 (60.51 - 71.59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
76 Atk Life Orb Dragonite Aqua Tail vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Heatran in rain: 325-385 (84.41 - 100%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO why no bronzong calcs? and its likely ferrothorn will live the next Superpower due to the attack drop and KO back.
Nidos and toxicroak fear EQ, Lando-T fears HP ice or rock gem stone edge. LOL are you serious? talking about niche over here...
Golurk is an EXTREMELY niche pokemon to counter terrakion, and it can only switch in once. also not true for the OU Support set.
Comments in bold. I guess out of all of them Dragonite is the toughest to switch into thanks to its versatility. All the others have hands down stops. Still nothing has ever been more feared than switching into Genesect except for maybe Hydreigon.

Look, if we're bringing up usage why not mention the bug-steel type that has been number one in usage for the past three years (barring the three months of gene)

That said, genosect still has my vote,

Look, if we're bringing up usage why not mention the bug-steel type that has been number one in usage for the past three years (barring the three months of gene)

That said, genosect still has my vote,
That's a totally valid point, but Scizor has never had a stranglehold on the metagame. Scizor is exemplary of "Good but only good," if that makes any sense. When you saw Deo-S on your opponent's team the train of thought was "Well shit, guess Volcarona isn't getting any screen time this match," and there was nothing you could do. When I see Scizor all I think is "Okay, he needs to be weakened while my sweeper needs to be healthy enough to take a Bullet Punch and I'm good to go." Haxorus doesn't automatically lose an opportunity to sweep just because Scizor is there. Does that make any sense?

I vote Ferrothorn because of many reasons already mentioned. To summarize them: All offensive pokemon in OU are categorized by their ability to beat Ferrothorn or not. Its typing is perfect for the metagame, and it has access to several very good support moves and on top of that a good ability. And all that throughout the whole era of both BW1 and BW2.

Ok so obviously Genesect is getting 3rd place, however, against the odds I'll still cast my vote for Scizor. He's only been a threat since forever and has held his place forever, unlike so many others that dropped into other tiers. He has a lot of checks, but few counters, and he' STILL a top threat. He's a good trapper, and if he gets a SD boost... well there isn't too much for him to fear then is it?

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Gonna vote for Ferrothorn for #3

Oh, and just to throw this out there, another 'mon that should probably at the very least be on the ballot for the later rounds is Rotom-W.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've really enjoyed all the discussion in this thread! I actually made a video with my own Top Ten most influential Pokemon from OU, thought I'd share it since I got the idea from this thread :D

Great now you've convinced me to make one lol

I'm voting Ferrothorn.

I'd go more in-depth, but I'm at school on my phone right now. Long story short, Ferrothorn is a fantastic defensive Pokemon, essentially defining defense in BW, plus all the stuff that other people have said about it.

Comments in bold. I guess out of all of them Dragonite is the toughest to switch into thanks to its versatility. All the others have hands down stops. Still nothing has ever been more feared than switching into Genesect except for maybe Hydreigon.
What do you mean check the calcs? I did check the calcs and it's true.. Venusaur can get +6 on the blobs, and giga drain heals more than seismic toss does back.
No bronzong calcs cuz when's the last time you've seen a bronzong? And Terrak doesn't mind using EQ on his choiced sets cuz it only needs 2 moveslots, the rest are filler. Hp Ice and Rock Gem are also insanely good sets so I don't know what you're talking about.
Golurk is bad, idc if it can set up rocks and spinblock cuz like every spinner beats it 1v1.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Voting Ferrothorn for #3

I realize that Genesect was one of the best overall OU Pokemon we've ever had, and it really effected the metagame quite a bit during its short stint in OU, but some of the voters here are only voting for it because it was broken. That's not the point of this thread. It's to showcase what Pokemon have had the greatest overall impact on the metagame. Did it create a new playstyle? Did it define a certain playstyle? Did it shape the metagame? Did it change the metagame significantly? No offence, I realize that Genesect did a few of these things and it was a very good Pokemon, but I don't think it makes much sense to put Genesect before something like Ninetales, who CREATED an entire playstyle and has made several lower tier Pokemon OU viable, while also forcing almost every team to run some kind of check/counter to the playstyle itself. I'm sorry, but Genesect did not have as much of an impact on the metagame as sun did. Yes it was overcentralzing, and yes it was amazing at everything, but it did not even have nearly as large as an impact as Ninetales, or heck, possibly even Excadrill. There's also one Pokemon that people seem to be overlooking, and that's who I'm voting for.

Ferrothorn IS BW OU defense. Without Ferrothorn, BW wouldn't be the same. It's the backbone of everything bulky, it's one of the best defensive Pokemon that Gamefreak has ever created. It can do almost anything for a team that needs it. Not only does it have incredible defensive capabilities, its typing only leaves it with two weaknesses, one being lessened when Ferrothorn is alongside Politoed. It can setup both Spikes and Stealth Rock. It's Steel-typing lets it wall a majority of Dragon-types that exist in the tier, especially when in the rain. Being Steel, it's immune to Toxic and Sandstorm, to very common forms of passive damage. Speaking of rain, its Grass-typing allows it to counter a large majority of rain offense, and it's often used on teams that struggle against it. It's also immune to Leech Seed, making it a nightmare for stall teams lacking some sort of Fire-type move. Ferrothorn is one of the sole reasons that every team is forced to run a Fighting-type, because it is very difficult to beat it without super effective damage. Honestly, I feel like a lot of people have already explained everything that I wanted to say about Ferrothorn, so I'll just end it here and say that Ferrothorn is one of the few things that is keeping the rain playstyle under control, and other offensive playstyle's as well, so keep that in mind. Genesect may have caused the tier to become more offensive, but Ferrothorn has caused the tier to become even MORE offensive in order to take it down. Genesect is not #3 in my opinion, but I will be voting for it again for a later rank.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so Gary2346 and I spent a lot of time over the past few days talking about which Pokémon should be #3. Its really a tough decision because I see that Ninetales, Genesect, Terrakion, and Ferrothorn are all great Pokémon and have definitely affected the metagame significantly. However, when it really comes down to it I have to give the #3 spot to Ferrothorn. To put it quite simply, Ferrothorn is the face of defense, balanced, and rain all at once. It is by far the most consistent defensive Pokémon in BW, and has been since day 1. From Spikes to Stealth Rock to Leech Seed to Thunder Wave to Iron Barbs, Ferrothorn support the team in a multitude of ways that make it one of the most prominent defensive threats today. As people have mentioned before, Ferrothorn is also considered often in teambuilding, which is not something that every defensive Pokémon can boast. In the rain, it is part of the standard TentaThorn core, which is incredibly hard to break through, and becomes the backbone to just about every rain-balanced team out there. In the sand or weatherless, it can be paired up with Jellicent to form an equally devastating core, but with a spin blocker instead of a spinner. Rain also cuts one of its two weaknesses in half, making it all the more threatening. As I said before, Ferrothorn has been the most consistent, best defensive Pokémon in BW, and for this it deserves the #3 spot.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
After thinking it over better, Gary is right, Ferrothorn impacted the meta far more than Genesect. I confused impacting the meta with breaking the meta when i voted for Genesect, but now that it's all clear in my head, Ferrothorn definitely deserves the #3 spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)