Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Makes me wonder if Mega Evolution somehow modifies your EVs/IVs as well. It is, after all, about bringing out the "ultimate power" in a Pokémon or something like that. It wouldn't come as a surprise if MEvos had set IVs and EVs in certain stats (for instance, all Mega Charizard having 31 offensive IVs and maxed out offensive stats).

Then again, it would effectively take away the player's ability to tailor the stats of his/her Pokémon. It's understandable if they don't change anything either.

I'm predicting that a complete stat re-balancing has been redone, making all Pokemon generally more defensive. that would explain the high HP on charizard and garchomp

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Since knowing Spritzee's possible plague-doctor origin, it never looks as adorable anymore it creeps me out...
It always reminds me of the Medic from TF2, since one of his more well-known/expensive hats is a plague doctor mask.

Last edited:
Herocross Well, we can already obtain the save file from a huge number of 3DS games. I don't think X and Y will take TOO long to crack. Maybe a month at most.
Alright, that's all I wnated to know :> I won't be able to get XY at release, so I'd like to see the starters evolutions before I can get my hands on them:D

We'd had the ability to get saves off the console for a long time. Don't get too excited. Nintendo put some serious (and firmware changeable) encryption here, and really good encryption is literally uncrackable. We're basically depending on a key leak.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the IVs have generally been 31. It explains Sylveon's base HP nicely, and falls in line with the picture from super training.

Very likely that EVs are max as well for anything that goes Mega, as Max Happiness is likely to be necessary.

I wish Happiness was a bit harder to raise or something so Frustration was more meaningful.

Last edited:
Very likely that EVs are 31 as well for anything that goes Mega, as Max Happiness is likely to be necessary.

I wish Happiness was a bit harder to raise or something so Frustration was more meaningful.
Once I used frustration for fun. I'd faint the guy each training match and revive him with bitter shit. Not worth it at all.

You kidding me? I actually like it since I've known it's origin. I'm naming mine Glacain, after Niall O Glacain, the famous plague doctor.
Sure, GameFreak has done a great job combining that shady origin with Fairy flavor. I even think it along with Braixen are the best new Pokemon, flavor-wise. But my first impression of Spritzee was like wow little flamingo head with cute wings and tiny feet d'awwwwww 10/10 would cuddle with, then someone mentioned plague-doctor... NOW IT CANT BE UNSEEN.

Sure, GameFreak has done a great job combining that shady origin with Fairy flavor. I even think it along with Braixen are the best new Pokemon, flavor-wise. But my first impression of Spritzee was like wow little flamingo head with cute wings and tiny feet d'awwwwww 10/10 would cuddle with, then someone mentioned plague-doctor... NOW IT CANT BE UNSEEN.
My first impression was "girly powder puff, pass." Then someone said plague doctor, and now I love it.

Yes, but it was kind of inevitable that it would become a plague doctor, because think about it: It resembles a bird, but is not a Flying-type; It seems to be based on the sense of smell, and plague doctors thought that sickness was spread through the air, and thus wore masks and crushed up petals and stuff to prevent contamination by breathing in bad air; its ability is Healer; and its most prominent feature is its beak, which, given the fact that it is even a different color than the rest of its body, highly resembles a death mask like plague doctors wore. Also, its Japanese name is Shushup, which I believe someone in this thread mentioned sounds similar to a line in the old "ring around a rosy" or whatever it is rhyme.

So it looks like they altered pikachu's cry... not sure if this has been previous confirmed but it seems to be rather pander-y behavior (which is w/e)
breh and I did the calculations and it seems like Child's Play needs to be around 120 BP for everything to work out.

Either it is a very strong physical Fairy attack, or it does something else. (This also depends on Marill's EVs. We assumed it had zero.)

My personal theory (taking the name into account) is a Gyro Ball-esque attack that runs off the attacker's Attack stat. The lower your stat, the higher the BP. This would make sense because Marill has a pitiful Attack stat, meaning it would have higher BP (i.e. around 120).

The above is speculation based on the damage calculations we saw in the trailer, it is not confirmed in any way.
I know you have disclosed that this depends on Marill's EVs - but do you realise just how much it does? (Also do you have any reason for using 15 IVs?)

The factor IVs/ EVs have is huge here (due to huge power and the naturally low base attack); The difference between 15 and 31 at lv50 the difference between "effectively" 64 attack and 80 attack. If we are looking at including 0 IV variations as well as possible EV spreads then suddenly the min/max (assuming no -Att nature) for Marill is 100 and 158. That kind of variation (even without Haxorus' spread) means that there is no way we can possibly conclude anything with any certainty other than "its probably somewhere between 40 and 120 inclusive" - which is a completely useless conclusion

For reference (to show what I mean quantitatively) adding to your calc;
31 IVs, 0 EVs for both would put the base power at about 90
31 IVs, adamant nature, full EVs in att.(marill) and hp (haxorus) would put the base power at about 60
31 IVs, max. EVs marill and 31 IVs Haxorus puts the base power at around 50
0 IVs, 0 EVs for both would put the base power at 120
Maxed Marill vs. 0/0 IV/EV would put the base power at 40 (assuming a low damage role)

Is there any hard reasoning to assert that GF probably use 15 IVs? Because if both Marill and Haxorus are just random there is no point at all to this. (This is not a rhetorical question, I'm curious to know if GF typically use 15 IV pokemon in their trailers)

Is there any hard reasoning to assert that GF probably use 15 IVs? Because if both Marill and Haxorus are just random there is no point at all to this. (This is not a rhetorical question, I'm curious to know if GF typically use 15 IV pokemon in their trailers)
If I had to guess I'd say because it represents the middle of the line power, and helps keep up the "no two pokemon are exactly alike" charade.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
We assumed both Pokémon were randomly generated. 15 in each IV is an "average" value.

I was not trying to pass off my post as fact, that much is clear from my use of "seems like" and the inclusion of speculation.
Obviously Marill isn't a great Pokémon to do calculations with due to the extra numerical variance afforded by Huge Power.

We really don't know anything about the attack other than its name, breh and I were just trying to provide what little information we could glean from the video. There really is no reason to get worked up over it. We won't know anything definitively until the games are released or the attack is revealed officially.

Is it me or did the NVE sound happen when Dedenne nuzzled Weavile? I know we've had the type chart and all that but the sound seemed very clear to me.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'd like to congratulate Cobraroll for being the first user to receive the Community Contributor badge for his contributions to this thread! Cobraroll has been a frequent participant in this thread for months. Each of his posts is thoughtful, insightful, and positive.

As we move into generation six, there will be many more opportunities to attain this badge. Keep your posting quality up and you could be next!

Is it me or did the NVE sound happen when Dedenne nuzzled Weavile? I know we've had the type chart and all that but the sound seemed very clear to me.
Either you misheard, or that Weavile's type was previously changed to Water by Soak.

Either you misheard, or that Weavile's type was previously changed to Water by Soak.
Misheard is more likely, because then the Electric-type Nuzzle would have been super-effective on the now-Water-type Weavile.

EDIT: I did notice that it seemed to do shockingly little damage though (ha pun). Especially on a Weavile's paper defenses.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Thanks a lot, Stellar!

Considering the "Nuzzle on Weavile" spot in the video (2:37 or shortly thereafter), I too think it sounds suspiciously like the "not very effective" ping. Earlier in the video, we get to hear what the Super-effective ping sounds like, and it's definitely different.
Then again, if you listen at 0:57 (going off the video on Serebii's front page), you can hear Fennekin hit Pancham with some Fire attack. The ping is the same. It might be that the "Not very effective" ping has changed significantly, or that the clips are cut short so any reverberation or echo is left out. Personally, I'm going for the first theory. Have we even seen a Pokémon hit another with a not-very-effective move this generation? It's probably in some demo footage somewhere, if anybody wants to take a look.

Have we considered the possibility that the ping relates to how much HP is left, or how much damage is done by the attack, and not its mere type-effectiveness? My hearing's not the greatest so I haven't listened for the SE sounds and such, but it would make a certain kind of sense.

Have we considered the possibility that the ping relates to how much HP is left, or how much damage is done by the attack, and not its mere type-effectiveness? My hearing's not the greatest so I haven't listened for the SE sounds and such, but it would make a certain kind of sense.
the health alert is now only a short alarm that last for like...5 seconds instead of it's own mp3 or w/e format it use to be in

Last edited:
I didn't mean as a constant indicator, I mean like...

Attack does 40+% health damage = SE noise; Attack that does 25-40% damage = Eff. Noise; 1-25% damage = NVE Noise. The stadium announcers usually reacted to attacks both based on how much they hurt, and on type effectiveness. It's just as a thought.

Is it just me, or did dedenne move before weavile. Nuzzle could be priority and that would explain the little damage. Or weavile's turn may have been cut out, idk.

The NVE sound seems like it may just be the sound of a move making contact? Because electric isnt NVE on weavile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)