Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Ok I'm going to be different here but one of the things I'm really looking forward to is Pokemon Amie. I've never really liked contests or pokeathlon (just because I've spent 35 hours+ on them doesn't mean I really like them!) but Pokemon Amie certainly looks very promising to me. Also TheMantyke , @everyone else that complained about it yesterday , I feel like it could be a new way to change the IVs. ;D

Day 11:
I must say the most entertaining thing to me would have to be the underground in gen 4. Though I didn't have anyone to fully explore the feature with but the mining and things like that alone were great also just the concept of being able to make a cool little secret based gave to game a bit more personality to it! I wish they would bring this function back because man I must admit underground function was pretty damn legit.

day 8: Pokémon quirks:
I tend to minimize the amount of status-recovering items I have to use. I think it looks ugly with the medicine bag full of Lava Cookies, Casteliacones, Old Gateaux, Full heals, Patralyz heals awakenings, berries AND 1 bazillion other things doing exactly the same things. I'd actually like to bring back the limited inventory for this reason. That gives full heals a purpose (occuping only one slot), as it is now, it is only more expensive without contributing anything, since you can fill the bag with all the aforementioned items.

Day 9 Favourite region:
I was about to say Hoenn first, like everybody else, but then it occured to me that the first two regions are just so much (nostalgia) epicness. In retrospect, I love the lavender town, with its creepy music (best in 8-bit mode, ofc), mount moon with the dancing clefairys, the dark rock tunnel, the abandoned power plant, mewtwos' cave, the most interesting safari zone to date and a victory road that actually felt hard to go through, just to name a few examples.

The only two regions that were really boring imo were sinnoh and the first iteration of unova, and it got way better in BW2.

Day 10 Thing to change:

Hard one. Minor things like shorter battle animations, nerfing hidden power, and stuff comes to mind. It would be awesome if the starters was not the same 3-stage evo firewatergrass blazetorrentovergrow trio of predictable mons again. And, I also want a open world. Maybe an official poké-MMO.

Day 11 Minigame:

Does the Trick House count? I had a really good time solving those riddles!

Suggestions for topics to discuss:
- What unused pokemon concepts would we like to see?
- Most epic and memorable battles yet (including in game, wifi, link cable and/or simulator)?
- Most annoying pokémon experience?
- Favourite ingame music?
- Have you ever changed opinion about a pokémon drastically, and why?

Day 9: Johto. It had Goldenrod, and Mt Silver, and Ecruteak with Morty who I had a massive video game crush on in grade five. Though massive props to Hoenn for being pretty, and a big middle finger to Sinnoh for Mt Coronet.

Day 10: It would be awesome if they would implement a Wi-Fi Random Battle into the games akin to Showdown's. I could spend hours just battling and rebattling with randomised teams.

Day 11: The GS slots were my crack when I was 8 - risk-free gambling at its finest.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Day 11: What is your favorite mini-game (contests, musicals, Pokéathlon, underground, etc.)?
Favourite Minigame... Mine probably has to be either Bug Catching Contest (Even though its a total crapshoot in terms of luck) or the Pokeathlon. BCC has a special meaning for me as it was the first really different thing you could do that wasn't beating a gym or playing gambling (What ten year old can gamble anyway?). I wonder whose great idea it was to have the scoring based on IV's... They should be shot, multiple times :D But the overall premise is fantastic and interesting. Also being able to get a Scyther/Pinsir that early in the game is a total mind blow... I was tricked by a friend into him convincing me that stuff like Forretress and Scizor appear after the Elite 4 :o

Pokeathlon is just awesome. It totally kills your hands but its a lot of fun competing in events that are actually cool to do. I wish the Contests were more like this, or as I call it "Anime Style" in terms of you having to do more little minigames (sorta like the dancing in Gen 4) like May does with Beautifly (Shooting disks) or maybe a block break or something. Rather than relying on luck of the AI to help you out... I always sucked at 3rd Gen contests :(

Day 11 - Favorite Minigame: Definitely the Pokemon Contests from RSE! Being able to combo, skip others' turns, confuse, all sorts of stuff...all some of the best contest stuff! No need for dressing Pokemon up or anything, it was great on its own.

Day 10:

Kill with fire the trainers that have 6 magikarps on their team. Kill them all, remove them, destroy them.
Another thing that I will change is, well IVs and add more variaty to the pokemon apareances. I'm too mad about this thinks to change, but will be nice.

What I think will be necessary: All pokemon had HMs as "natural abilities" and some abilities outside of battle, those abilities will have up 2 slots, for example your Machamp will have Strengh and Rock Smash as abilities and his move pool totatlly unchanged or affected; Your relicant has the abilitie to Dive and Surf naturalilly, etc.

Day 11:

Farm berries, make poke blocks, make apricorn shakes, make puffins, collect apricorns, collect then, see their cards, looks what flavors my pokemon like more, seek for the most rare and unexpected recipes, make medicine based on berries, use natural herbs to cure pokemon. Oh god I love farm berries.

did I like contest? **** no, did I like pokethlon? **** no. But the whole idea of collecting fruits and make them into food/medecine just remember when I spent time on my aunt's ranch, making cakes, candies, etc. from regular fruits.

-THEMES-

-What you will add to the pokemon games.
-best shinies
-Worst shinies
-Your unluckiest time playing pokemon.

Last edited:
Day 11: What is your favorite mini-game (contests, musicals, Pokéathlon, underground, etc.)?
Unless you consider the "medals" in BW2 a mini-game, I didn't really like the minigames much. I suppose Voltorb flips is sorta fun I guess. Other stuff not really.

Day 10 : An option for higher difficulty like in B2W2 but without the need to unlock it and with even higher difficulty

Day 11 : pokestar studios. I find it fun to take part in the movies and I like the stories.

I'd say the Frontier (IF that counts), purely for the sheer amount of effort that needs to be put into "finishing" it.

Outside the Frontier, I'd daresay the PokeAthlon. It was a close match between those and the PokeStudio whatever from BW2, but in the end, those take little skill and are repetitive as hell.

I have a couple favorites, but none that I really love. Not saying that be cynical or anything, but I feel like some of 'em were a missed opportunity. The idea of the Sinnoh underground appeals to me, but I wish there was more to it than digging up the same preset fossils.

Totally gonna bring up Animal Crossing again. Not that I think Pokemon should be AC or anything, but when two games have the same mechanic and one does it better, I feel obliged to bring it up. How about having random artifacts or non-fossil fossils (I mean, fossils that you don't necessarily have zap with a "science ray" and bring them to life). Remember that dragon skeleton in B/W? Howzabout giving us the opportunity to find and build our own like the museum in AC? Or discover more about the history of the region by finding tablets or writings? I'm turning this into a "what would you change post part deux", but I'm trying to illustrate why this minigame is my "favorite by default".

Musicals are nice too, but I wish there was a bigger payoff than finding all the accessories. The anime didn't even care enough to make 'em an "arc" like contests, but I think that's because the games didn't flesh it out enough. It's a shame because I was kinda looking forward to seeing a cute monster version of You Got Served.

I suddenly feel very nitpicky, so lemme just say that I'm looking forward to PokeMonAmie. I'm gonna stuff my Chespin 'til it falls over.

Without question, the Gen III Pokemon Contest. I felt they were really dumbed down in Gen IV, but Gen III contests had moves with effects and "jamming," which meant there was real strategy to the appeals stage. I would love to find someone to go head-to-head against in a contest (over VBALink--I've verified for myself that it is indeed possible), but I seem to be fairly alone in my love of the mini-game.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Chiming in on the Gen. III contests. It was a concept that was extremely easy to understand, yet was hard to master. Contests got a lot more bells and whistles in Gen. IV, but I played that exactly once before going tired (didn't exactly help that my brother just had ruined the touch screen on our DS). In Gen. III, sidequests like contests were a new feature, and they had no previous experience to base it on. The simple fact that contests were purely turn-based was also nice when playing while watching TV. They didn't require your constant attention, there were no time limits, there were no noisy menus to navigate and there was just one judge. Nice, easy and simple. Making PokéBlocks was also simple, and didn't require you to ruin the screen of your GBA. You just had to press the A button at the right time. Easy to understand, hard to master.

The first contests were also spread across the region, giving you an incentive to travel around Hoenn. I was also shocked to learn there was a Master Rank - I had thought Hyper was the highest rank, so seeing that building in Lilycove was just awesome. It was also cool that you could enter the hall as a spectator, and see contests "going on" without your involvement. I was sad to learn GameFreak had gathered all the ranks in Lilycove in Emerald, as I thought travelling was one of the greatest part of contests.

I hope GameFreak take the contests back to their roots once, though I don't think they'll strip away the faff they've added to the sidegames just like that. Those features are popular with the kids nowadays, so I guess I'll have to settle with the memories from RSE...

Day 7: Which aspect of XY are you looking forward to the most?
The new Pokémon. That's always been my main draw for the games and while I'm very on the fence about a lot of the designs shown so far, the ones I do like look brilliant. So I've stil got my hopes up for the remaining ones.

Very close behind is seeing the 3D models of all of the older Pokémon.

Day 8: What are your Pokémon "quirks"?
I don't have as many as I once did. I tend to overlevel because I don't feel comfortable unless I'm higher leveled than surrounding trainers/Gym leaders etc. I also do not let any of my main team members faint unless it's it's exceptional (like versus a shiny); if they do faint then I'll reset and try again.

I used to be very specific about what genders I had on my Pokémon (male Murkrow, female Sneasel and so on) but the introduction of genders differences killed that (mainly because of the Sneasel sprite) so now I'll catch something if there is a specific gender difference I like but the rest is whatever I find first. For organising my PC, I used to arrange the boxes by types, name them, add a suitable background and then had everything in each box sorted by best-least favourites.

Day 9: What is your favorite region and why?
Johto. I remember playing through and marveling with my brother over the graphics, the size of the cities and all the little changes. I loved the new Pokémon and had a tough time figuring out what I wanted to use. Locations such as Ruins of Alph (and litle details such as the freaky radio signals down there), Whirl Islands, the story behind the towers in Ecruteak and the overall mythology of the legendaires just drew me in.

Day 10: If you could change one thing about the Pokémon games, what would it be?
More a response to BW(2) but give us back the ability to trade as soon as you can catch Pokémon. I hated playing the start of Black and White because I had teams to trade over but had to waste time grinding things to beat the first gyms and it did my head in.

Digging in the underground. At one point in Diamond I was easily spending an hour at a time down there, digging all the spots around my base then sorting out all bits I dug up and burying spheres (in colour rows of course). I ended up with so much extra crap that I've still got in my Diamond game.

Day 9: What is your favorite region and why?
Kanto + Sevii Islands. I've always like Kanto and I really like the addition of Sevii Islands in the remakes. I will go ahead and say I'm really liking Kalos so far...

Day 10: If you could change one thing about the Pokémon games, what would it be?
To make catching catch rate 30 or less Pokemon more entertaining. It's just really boring when you're just throwing a ball at it over and over again for 20+ and just waiting for it to be eventually captured. They sort of done this with critical captures, but it's not enough.

I really liked the Underground. I didn't have anyone to play with, but I enjoy just digging up random things and finding fossils. I also really liked Gen. 3 contests, but not as much as the Underground.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Day 12: Which song/theme is the most nostalgic?

I'd love if you would explain why, but it is not required.
Also note that this question is not "What is your favorite song?"

I personally have two:

The tag for youtube videos is [.media=youtube](string at the end of the url)[/media]
Just remove the period before "media"! Please use hide tags as well to prevent loading lag.

Please do not post more than two videos.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Most, if not all, of the Johto music, really. Especially the HGSS remixes, I honestly think they were some of the best in the game.

It's just funny how nostalgic I get, considering I only got SS about a year ago (July 2012) and I am already feeling so nostalgic when I hear the music.

There are so many songs to get nostalgic about, but I doubt I could name them all. It would also clutter this thread to no end...so... here are my absolute top 2, I guess. (Olivine City HGSS is my favorite Pokemon song ever)

Also thank you Stellar, for finally using my question! :p

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
inb4 lavender town.

Anyway my most memorable melody (get that alliteration) is quite simply:

First time I heard this song I just knew this would be an incredible game. I loved the parts of it that I heard in Phenac City for those few short seconds and I wanted more, so when I fought Miror. B for the first time I just let the screen roll for a while and listen to the fantastic music. Even my brother, who hated Pokemon, admitted he liked it (another defining factor is that is the first, last and only time I have ever got my brother to play Pokemon as he just wanted an excuse to listen to the music) this music is seriously that good. Anyone who critiques this music for being "over-rated" clearly didn't play Pokemon Colosseum as a child.

Last edited:
Day 12: Which song/theme is the most nostalgic?

I always liked the Hoenn theme song, I love listening to the music and then watching the various characters ride their bikes and all the pokemon running/flying past like latios etc and then the big roar from rayquaza.

For me it's any song from GSC/HGSS. New Bark Town's theme. Pokémon Silver was what made me a fan of the series. Every time I restart my playthrough of that game, I love to listen to the theme for a couple of minutes in silence before going to Elm's lab. SoulSilver's remake of that theme is beautiful, and I think Game Freak has done an excellent job remaking all of the themes.
Another Johto theme I really love is the Champion theme. Although HGSS did an amazing job remixing it, I still prefer the classic 8-bit badassery. It reminded me of the first time I conquered the Pokémon League, as well as beating Red at Mt. Silver, thus becoming the very best trainer like no one ever was.

Day 12:
Man I love most of the music in these games and some of mine have been taken... I guess I'll go with:

XD's Mirror B
Man this song is just so freaking catchy. Whenever I play XD it's this guy I take the longest to battle simply for the music.

Pokemon Mansion
Man this is creepy as. People have said Lavender Town or Viridian Forest is creepy but this place combined with the Mewtwo notes is imo the creepiest place in Pokemon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)