Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already posted it once before and it was discussed. There isn't anything new in there really except the all but official confirmation of the rpg staples for the starters.

This gens seems to be focused on competitive play more than anything, based on what Masuda said about MEvos and the rebalance of types/attacks. IF so, this gen is going to be amazingly fun to play, I hope.

I find it interesting that Auroros was the one that GF introduced with a type chart-defying move while Tyrantrum is the one whose flavor says that it can rip apart metal plates like paper with its teeth. Is it just me or does that imply Tyrantrum getting a similar move to Freeze Dry that's SE against steels?
Aggron literally eats steel and it didn't get a move for that except, y'know, Earthquake. We can fairly well assume that Tyrantrum is getting Earthquake because everything huge does.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I thought I would push the discussion in a different direction since things seem to be stagnating.

What are your plans for your first playthrough of XY? Has anyone considered a Nuzlocke run?

Strangely enough, the idea of a first-playthrough Nuzlocke run is enticing to me. It is one of the few opportunities where we will have the opportunity to be genuinely surprised by the Pokémon we encounter.

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
I find it interesting that Auroros was the one that GF introduced with a type chart-defying move while Tyrantrum is the one whose flavor says that it can rip apart metal plates like paper with its teeth. Is it just me or does that imply Tyrantrum getting a similar move to Freeze Dry that's SE against steels?
Emboar's Pokédex entry describes that it can punch with fists of fire, yet it can't learn Fire Punch outside of a move tutor. Just saying.

Aggron literally eats steel and it didn't get a move for that except, y'know, Earthquake. We can fairly well assume that Tyrantrum is getting Earthquake because everything huge does.
well, it makes sense that a steel type would eat steel.

Emboar's Pokédex entry describes that it can punch with fists of fire, yet it can't learn Fire Punch outside of a move tutor. Just saying.
Touche. (but it WAS eventually able to learn that move so)

I will definitely nuzlocke if there is a difficulty setting from the start, although I might as well do it regardless. but having 3 starters right off the bat makes me think this is going to be bulldozing anything that so much as glances at me.

My plan was to do a mono-fire, but since that is what everyone else seems to doing thanks to Pyroar and the Torchic Event.... And Charmander... I think I might do mono-electric.

Or it just implies it has a

wait for it

Strong Jaw

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I thought I would push the discussion in a different direction since things seem to be stagnating.

What are your plans for your first playthrough of XY? Has anyone considered a Nuzlocke run?

Strangely enough, the idea of a first-playthrough Nuzlocke run is enticing to me. It is one of the few opportunities where we will have the opportunity to be genuinely surprised by the Pokémon we encounter.
The same thing I did with BW2: catch A, use A until B appears, pick B, fuck A (figuratively). Not even Fennekin will be save from being boxed.

I used 26 or so in my JP B2 and ~12 in my US version until the eighth badge. I'm expecting a full-retard run of 35+ pokémon,from Fennekin until the late game.

I'm hoping to do my first Y run semi-blind; knowing enough to have a few confirmed members for my team(Honedge and Tyrantrum spring to mind), while still having open space to pick up whatever new Pokemon I come across that look cool or whatever.

That being said, I still really want to know the starters final evolutions before I pick one, because even though Frogadier looks totally awesome, I can't pick from their middle forms. Case in point: Snivy is my favorite unevolved starter of Gen 5 and Serperior my favorite fully-evolved, but if I had chosen my starter based on the middle-staged ones I would have picked Dewott and then I would have been severely disappointed when I evolved him into Samurott. The only problem is I don't know when the Gen 6 starters final evolutions are going to be revealed, if they ever are, and I personally don't really want to know of too many more Pokemon before release, so I can still go into the game at least somewhat surprised. I went into Black and White knowing all of the Pokemon and, to be honest, I think that really hampered my enjoyment of the game.

plus frogadier looks like a physical attacker and I'm probably going to use the event torchic as well as honedge and tyrantrum who are pretty obviously also physical attackers and i don't want to abandon my starter and argh #FirstWorldProblems

I need to know the starter final evos too, as well as their overall build. I'm using the event torchic, so I'm steering clear of Froakie if it's water/fighting, but I hate defensive grass types and I think that's what Cespin's going to be. Basically, I'm picking between Froakie and Squirtle and learning to love whatever grass type I get stuck with because me no box my starter.

Aside from those 3, I need a flyer, a fairy, and Tyrantrum, and I'd like to know my options with the former 2 before I play through the game. I'll still catch everything I see, but I'd like to know which 6 mons I'm holding onto and which ones will be a waste of EXP.

I plan to stock up on tons of Pokeballs and catch all the Pokémon (or as many as possible) while I go through the areas, so:
a: I likely won't have to go back.
b: I can discover mostly all the Pokémon myself.
c: I've always told myself that I should do this sometime...

First playthrough of XY will probably be 2 playthroughs, actually, one in each version. I'm not doing a Nuzlocke run, but here's what I'm thinking:

Y: Blaziken, 5 empty slots for now.
X: Chespin3, Fennekin3, Froakie3, Auroros, Noivern, Fairy Pokemon

No overlapping types, I still get to check out the starters, and a full team of Gen 6 Pokemon in X. Whereas in Y, I'll see what I pick up and may even have room for revamped older pokemon. I plan on staying within 2 badges of each file so I don't get too far ahead in one or the other.

I plan to stock up on tons of Pokeballs and catch all the Pokémon (or as many as possible) while I go through the areas, so:
a: I likely won't have to go back.
b: I can discover mostly all the Pokémon myself.
c: I've always told myself that I should do this sometime...
I'll be doing this as well. Checking which moves pokes get and trying all the new ones even if they go bust. I also want to see which new cores I can create with the new pokes as well.

I think most people wanna see the final evos of the starters before they decide. I know that as of now, I'm going with Fennekin3(could change), Bulbasaur(Kanto starter weak to Kalos starter), Sylveon, Tyrantrum, and then anything I feel is good enough to use.

I'm getting Y, since a friend of mine is getting X. This gen, once I notice spoilers getting posted I'll go dark, to discover some (most?) of the new pokes for myself. Hopefully the final starters will be revealed by then, if not I'll pick whatever my friend doesn't pick!

All my runs are just standard 6-poke playthroughs. I have no set team idea; I'll just use whatever catches my eye at the time. I started a new tradition (for me) in Black: catch a living regional pokedex. I'm going to do that for Kalos, starting at the beginning, which should be a lot of fun. Once I finish the Kalos storyline and the transfer thing is on the free month, I'll transfer all my 'mons over from Black and replay Black. It'll be a lot of fun. Come on release day!!!

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Going to get both X&Y. I'll speedrun Y I think and do a slower more in depth let's play of X. Gah, so freakin' excited

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Guys, Pokébeach's rumors still have no known credibility, as much as WPM seems to be sure they are plausible. Let's keep discussion out of the thread for now.

Me, just going to speed through both X and Y and get all new pokemon as fast as possible....then waiting for the free transfer to send in all my oldies so I can finish my pokedex and start using my dittos and synch abra to get some competitive pokemon.

I've never finished a Nuzlocke run, so this is the perfect opportunity. On the other hand, the idea of a Fairy mono with Spritzee, Azumarill, Wigglytuff/Clefable and three other fairies is growing on me.

Blocking out the internet and running Y, then X eventually. Going to take it at a moderate pace, don't see the need to rush through it since you could miss a lot.

Last edited:
i got talked into doing a speedrun with 2 of my mates, we're competing for a trophy and the version we don't have. i'm not too keen on rushing through, but at least its only until we beat the elite four, then i can take my time and explore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)