Your First Battle

My very, very, first battle was with Squirtle against Bulbasaur.

I spammed Tackle, again, and again, and again...

My earliest competitive battle is somewhat of a blur, but I was so bad that I used a team with solarbeam groudon and choice scarf mewtwo.

I've come a long way...hopefully.:confused:

First battle must have been in 2007 after I bought Pearl. I battled competitive with my in game team during it... o.O

Pretty sure it was Crobat (my username anyone?), Infernape, Alakazam, Gengar, Palkia, and Azelf. My gosh was I a n00b :o

Anyways, my first actual battle was against a person I no longer talk to but nonetheless it was an entertaining event on Pokemon Battle Revolution. None of my pokemon were level 100 (because as I said this was an ingame team, they were about level 70-80 or so at the time) but this "friend" wanted to challenge with his team of legendaries. All of them were level 100. Somehow I actually almost won, I don't quite remember how. Level 68 Crobat got two KOs somehow, it was crazy. Maybe it was a bunch of misses. Can't remember.

Obviously I'm nothing like that now and I have boxes of real teams. I used a few bad teams after my ingame one but midway through DPPt I because an actual force in the community.

I never started uploading YouTube videos until the end of Black and White 1.

I'd watched a lot of comp battling before hand, but I was still not very good lol.

I remember I built a UU team, but accidentally used it in OU (This was in fourth gen). I remember that the other person rage quit after I hit his + 2 Swords Dance Cacturne with Blizzard from my Kingdra, in sand. I totally didn't realize how lucky that was.

I think I had Life Orb Mismagius for a lead, Specs Typhlosion, Registeel, Life Orb Kingdra and two other things I forget. All with those high power low accuracy move (thunder, blizzard, etc.) and 255/255 ev spreads.

I think the first actually successful team I made was a fourth gen monofighting team with Scarf Heracross and Scarf Medicham. And that sub-salac Belly Drum Poliwrath that just seemed to own everything xD

Those were the days lol

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
My team consisted of scarftini/blissey/forre/scarfrotomw/BU conk/then something else that I can't remember.

What I DO remember is winning 10 battles in a row because conk is powerful.

One of the earliest Wi-Fi battles I ever had. It actually took place in early 2009 IIRC (yes, I held onto it for over a year). I was just learning about Smogon's tiers at the time, but me trying to be "different" got me this result. I actually used that team on Shoddy Battle too, where I was equally embarrassed.

Hard knock life.

I made my first team out of my favorites at the moment = Typhlosion, Umbreon, Raichu, Empoleon, Porygon-Z and Dragonite. Obviously I learned about EVs, IVs, etc before jumping into competitive. I also refused to use legendaries since I was the typical noob who followed the stupid anime lie of "legendaries are OP".
My first match was against a guy with the typical OU team consisting of Mence + Latias + stuff. It was a pretty hard match for me since the other's guy team was pretty much standard vs my synergy-less team. But I still manage to lose 0-1, leaving out just Latias alive. My Umbreon was my last man, vs his Vaporeon and Latias, sadly the Vaporeon had Fake Tears which weakened Umbreon enough for Latias to wreck it easily. Good match. for starters. I don't think the other guy was any good if he almost managed to lose against such a crappy team.

I can still remember my very first Shoddy DPP OU team.

Lead Mamoswine
Mixed Salamence with Crunch
Tentacruel with knock off instead of rapid spin
Rest Talk Gyarados with Waterfall & Roar
Choice Scarf Heatran
Breloom without Spore.

Wow, what a team. I still won my first ever battle though, was proper buzzing like. Probably 4 years ago now.

My first competitive battle was on Shoddy in 2008. I only remember using a Dusknoir, but I clearly remember his set / spread. I thought I was clever with:

Toxic: I'm a defensive Mon, this MUST be my only damaging option
Earthquake: For Poisons and Steels
Ice Punch: Dragons are scary
Shadow Punch: No Poke is complete without a STAB move, right?

His spread was 252 HP / 64+ Def / 192 SDef for even defenses.

I won against my first opponent, who I remember used GyaraVire and Hitmonchan.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My first battle was likely Totodile vs. Chikorita in Crystal. At least, that's the first battle in a game I owned. I played my cousin's 1st gen games a lot, but always on his save files. Can't remember the first time I was in charge of a battle alone, though.

As for competitive... I actually haven't played one yet. I must be one of extremely few Smogonites to earn a badge before even beginning a competitive career. Guess I'm not that kind of Pokéfan.

^If you've never gone into competitive battling, how did you find your way here?

My first battle in the game was in Pokémon XD. Because that one is simulated and they give you fully-evolved Pokémon, it was pretty fun, introduced basic concepts well, and gave me a better expectation than the first battles in most other games, which are basically Growl + Tackle ad nauseam. First battles are really boring in my opinion.

My first competitive experience was randomly looking up ways to play Pokémon online and finding Showdown. I tried to make my in-game team there, as noobs always do, found out that they are all in different "tiers" including Excadrill that's Uber, being intensely confused about what those 31s in the corner are for and what you're supposed to put in the EV boxes, and giving up.

After finding Smogon, I took a crack at it again, playing NU because I thought that would be easier than OU and would have more variety. It was a rain team, which was a pretty good strategy then, and used on-site sets, but it completely fell apart in practice. I had to use Ludicolo as my lead, because it was the only Pokémon that could provide the rain the team depended on, and it generally died after a turn. After Ludicolo died, the team had no good answers to big threats like Golurk, and was overall completely unprepared for the metagame at large. I have never delved into NU since, except a mediocre Trick Room team a year or so later, and was deterred from playing again for at least a few months. Oh, and I was swept by a Cottonee. Yeah. Cottonee.

EDIT: I forgot about PBR, which I did play beforehand. My team had no SR users and I didn't really predict at all. I remember a battle I had with someone who was better than me and whenever he had the type advantage I switched; he tried to switch after me, but I was so persistent he stopped out of irritation and boredom. I think I won maybe a quarter of my matches? It makes sense, I guess, because PBR battles are 25% scrubs and 75% completely, utterly broken. :D

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My first competitive battle was on showdown quite a while ago. I remember feeling amazing after I 6-0ed the opponent with ss gorbeyess.
But unlike most other people my first ou team wasnt too bad, it was a sun team and i used to sweep everyone with victreebel.

When I first found showdown (I knew about tiers and good moves but I still used bad things) after a couple randbats, I wanted to play NU, the tier with most of my favourite pokemon. I started to put alright but kinda bad things in it (lo mr mime, scarf amphoros, muk) but then for some reason I put a shelder. The first game i got some one saying 'ur a noob for using shelder' and that stuff but i ended up winning by exploding with shelder. He got angry and then pm spammed me and got banned.

EDIT: OMG 100 posts!! Shoutout to errr.. i need friends ;-;

FlareQuake

Banned deucer.
Back in my first couple of days of battling, my reasoning was this.
Get an extremely fast pokemon (Weavile, Infernape, to name a few of my fav.)
-Equip them with a sash.
-give them a stat boosting move (Nasty Plot for Azelf, SD for Weavile, Infernape, ETC).
-Precede to sweep. GG.

Okay, random here but I started playing right after Deoxys S got banned in ou and I got absolutely swept by a Garchomp. Like 6-0 or something. But I was on Wifi using my elite four champion team (empoleon, dialga, staraptor, azelf, machoke, and garchomp.)

I 6-0'd a guy in uu with specs nidoking, i was using a team that i found on google. Searched uu teams and it was the first or second result.

My first battle (in-game, of course) was Bulbasaur vs Charmander (tackle, tackle, tackle). As for competitive, at first I used my favorites: Typhlosion, Weavile, Latios, and a few others. I remember killing Hydreigon, Dragonite, Terrakion, and Heatran with Weavile, winning one of my first battles!

My first competitive battle had to be during the beginning of 4th gen. I'm not sure whether I won or lost, but I probably lost considering I didn't know anything about competitive play.

So my first battle was on Shoddy Battle. I was stupid, and didn't know how to connect my DS up to Wi-Fi (probably a good thing though, as the only Lv. 100 I had was a Sceptile I transferred from Emerald).
Anyway, I was really excited to try out battling against someone that wasn't Champion Cynthia, as I had watched a lot of Marriland videos and thought he was amazing with his FEAR Rattata.
This was halfway through Platinum iirc, Smogon had moved from Shoddy to PO so the only big working server was Gary Oak's Battle Frontier. Despite this I went on another smaller server where I came up against someone using a Donphan. that's all I remember about his team. I think I had a team that looked something like Aerodactyl / Ninjask / Porygon-Z / Dragon? / ? / ?. I remember winning that match and proceeding to rub it into his face like a douche. He just said gg and left.

My first battle (I never played offline) was on PO. Oddly enough, the team I constructed wasn't that bad; I had studied some of the basics so I would know what I was doing... more or less. I won that battle, to my surprise.

In the few battles after that, I realized Spinners suck (the team was an NU team so I would not have to factor in the most powerful threats, thinning out the hoard a bit) and such, and within a day or two or so, and many failed attempts (Flareon, Armaldo, Miltank, Kangaskhan, and many others), I had built the team that achieved a 2/3 win ratio, and the core of said team (Misdreavus, Gardevoir and Leavanny) lasted me until the end of Stage 8 when Scolipede and Jynx came to mess everything up.

My competitive career started around late 2005 on Netbattle. Quite frankly, I did not understand why I couldn't use Groudon in OU, and why I got called a n00b every time my Charizard used a move like Hyper Beam, Fly or Dig. I was still a pro in my twelve year old eyes though.

I won my first battle (I lurked on smogon before so I wasn't a complete noob)

Tyranitar (Stealth Rock, 3 Attacks)
Skarmory (Standard Physically Defensive)
Gastrodon (Special Wall)
Terrakion (Choice Band) (Got replaced with Scizor after a while of experimenting)
Landorus (Scarf)
Rotom-W (Specs)

On Rotom i had HP Fire to make it a surprisingly good Ferro lure

This was in BW1 after Excadrill and Thundurus both got banned

In my first battle on PS!, I got swept by an ancientpower lileep. great start imo

in my first competitive match, i took the 6 ubers with the highest attacking stats

needless to say, i've improved a little since then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)