Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Welp, as a kid, i loved pokemon solely for the anime, and by the age of 9 i had a crush on May, which is where my obsession with the Hoenn region and its protagonists started off. I am gay .

EDIT: i strayed off the point, well, fav episode would be Bicker the Better due to the interaction between May and Ash and the other couple whose names excape me at the moment. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire Ash vs Paul fight at Lilly of the Valley Conference, and Drapion raping crap. Now i h8 the anime, havent seen anything of Best Wishes bar Ash vs Cameron (which btw is hands down the most bs fight in the entire anime).

Favorite movie its a tie between Mystery of the Unown, aka Movie 3, and Mewtwo Strikes Back, aka Movie 1, they both have deep... antagonists? idk what to call Molly if not an antagonist, i guess she's the victim but also a villain to Ash. Great fights, Molly was creepy af to me honestly, and the moment where Ash gets turned to stone is too much, i went to cry the first time, now i realize hes a moron.

Last edited:
Film? Mewtwo Strikes Back, for sure.

It's a proper film! With themes! I was sorely disappointed by the next few, and stopped bothering with them after the third. Dipped back in - watched the Darkrai one, and the start of the Shaymin one, but I'm not interested in watching the sorts of films these are for the running length they represent.

Episode - Mutiny in the Bounty! This is the first Pokémon Hunter J episode, from the Diamond & Pearl series. It's so crammed full of stuff. I was watching the series with my wife and housemate (um, two different people), and loving it - but this knocked us for six. Because Hunter J's schemes are horrific. She steals Pokémon, and turns them into statues. There are a couple of real body horror moments in the episode.

And Ash is a full-on action hero in it. There's car chase sequences, with Ash climbing trucks, the zeppelin bits - and J's badass throughout. She does some incredible things. Team Rocket's wonderful in it too, united with the heroes against a common foe.

Basically, it feels a lot more like a film than most of the films. We felt exhilerated at the end.

Highly recommended to anyone who fell out of love with the show before reaching Sinnoh. Although a lot of the appeal is in how different it is to the rest of the series, so the best way to watch it is in context, I reckon.

Although I loved Mewtwo Strikes Back, my favorite movie was hands down Pokémon the Movie 2000-The Power of One. The three Birds attacking each other like crazy, the bad-ass Lugia, the Slowking (I could use pants), the intriguing Lawrence III, and especially Lugia's song. I also enjoyed the breaking of the fourth wall, courtesy of Team Rocket. Overall, I liked the theme of that movie.

Day 16: Did you enjoy the experience of starting fresh (new region, only new Pokémon, etc.) in BW? Explain why.

I liked this for the sake of being "forced" to use the new stuff, without even giving you a real option to go to the old stuff. I can imagine there's a few Pokemon from past generations, were they there, I would use. With Gen VI, provided there's not enough stuff I want to use, I might go for, say, Joltik/Galvantula. If that option wasn't given, I'd have to deal with what I'm given.
Granted, as I mentioned earlier, I try to not reuse Pokemon I've used before, but the point still sort of stands.

So, I'd say I'd like the "only new Pokemon" done again.

Day 17: What is your favorite Pokémon movie/anime episode?

Movie:
Pokemon 2000. I loved the music, and the Legendary Birds were my favorite Pokemon at the time, so I was in total fan-girl mode. Lugia is awesome too! To this day, I just can't get over how beautiful the sound track was or how cool the plot was! Even though it wasn't exactly a "good" plot and had a Deus Ex Machina-type ending, I still enjoyed it a lot. Also, I've always shipped Ash and Misty (yeah, I know, I know...) so the whole scene where Misty goes and rescues Ash made me really happy.

Anime episode:
Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden. Bulbasaur was the first Pokemon I ever got in the games, so it will always have a special place in my heart. Watching it agonize over whether or not to evolve and seeing it stand up for itself against Venusaur was really inspiring! And then it used Solar Beam and kicked everyone's ass, which made me respect Bulbasaur even more. And then all the Bulbas and Ivys and Venusaurs team up on Team Rocket and it's awesome. Of course, I always evolved my Bulbasaur as soon as I could, but whatevs. Ugh this isn't really a coherent response at all; I apologize. At any rate, this episode was really cool and will always be a favorite of mine. (incidentally, Stellar , I LOVE your current avatar :toast: )

Day 15: Which past feature do you want to return in XY?
I'm adding this to my original answer, I would like to be able to grow berries again in game. I know it's slower but at least we could get them anytime we wanted once they had finished growing.

You can answer one or both. Activity seems to be dropping, let's try to fix that! :)
I only watched the anime when Pokémon when I was a kid, and even then I only watched it cos I liked seeing my favourite Pokémon on the big screen, not because I liked the storylines. The storylines seemed way too childish even when I was watching it! I recently tried to get back into it with Best Wishes but the moment I saw Pikachu being defeated by a Snivy I instantly thought that was lame cos Pikachu has battled and won against Pokémon from all the previous gen and here was this new starter pokemon that it couldn't defeat! I know that Pikachu had lost it's electric powers but it still had access to Iron Tail. So yeah, that's my take on it. I actually really like anime like Sailor Moon (I'm really looking forward to the new anime which I hope follows more along the original manga), Cardcaptors, Fruit Basket, Bleach etc, I just don't like the Pokémon anime.
Welp, as a kid, i loved pokemon solely for the anime, and by the age of 9 i had a crush on May, which is where my obsession with the Hoenn region and its protagonists started off. I am gay .
Are you joking? cos I seriously don't get it how some people can be attracted to an anime character... I actually find the entire thing creepy. I get liking normal people on TV but not anime people.

Last edited:
Day 17: Anime episode would be the Charizard vs. Magmar battle for the volcano badge. The fact that Charizard had a tough battle and managed to come out on top just sealed the deal for me. Movie would be Mewtwo Strikes Back of course. Meowth and MeowthTwo's scene was highly inspiring to me as a kid.

Day 17:
I was going to say Pokemon 4ever for the movie but then I was reminded of Pokemon 2000. Johto was my first region I played through fully (I had Red but lost it at my grandma's house somehow like how did I even accomplish this) and I personally thought 2000 blew the first movie out of the water. Most of the older movies had so much more emotion to them and newer movies will never stand up to them. I don't think I could watch 2000 and not cry (yes make fun of me pls).

Episode, I can't pin down to one; I'm stuck between the Orange Islands series and the one where Charizard is frozen and he almost dies or something and it makes Ash sad (god I was like 6 I don't remember exactly what happened). I remember staying up "late" (probably more like 8:30 at the time) to watch the Orange Islands episodes with my sister and loving it because I could never watch the show because it was only on too late for me and Orange Islands was really the beginning of me watching it as a child. The whole Charizard episode thing I can only relate to because like all other kids at the time I thought Charizard was the coolest thing ever and got really sad to see it hurt and in trouble. Wish I knew the names/numbers of the episodes but I honestly don't. If I had to pick one Orange Islands episodes it'd probably be the one where they see the Pink Rhyhorn eating the berries (oddly specific scene, don't remember much of what else happened)

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
for day 15, I'm sure someone already said this buuuut I want my pokemon to follow me around again J:<

Day 17:
I loved the first 3 movies. Mewtwo Strikes Back is my favourite especially when you see the prelude to it with Ambertwo. Mewtwo is the greatest Pokemon character. Not sure if it counts but Mewtwo Returns is also a favourite. The second movie's concept of Lugia being the master of the birds and how evil Lawrence is was beautiful. It's one thing to catch Pokemon it's another to shoot them with cages. I would've loved these island to be explored and developed in-game. The third one felt more mysteical but that fight between Charizard and Entei is easily one of my favourite fights ever.

To me, the anime is usually a distant second to the games, but there was a time when you really couldn't be a Pokemon fan without watching it. The Indigo League eps are the most enjoyable for me to watch to this day, both for nostalgia and because they usually contain the most irreverent oddball humor. Lots of bad puns, jokes that didn't translate well so they just made up whatever ("Maybe it's a cow-terpie!"), and obvious paint edits abound, but I've come to appreciate it as good, dumb fun. The outright bizarreness of some of the early eps makes them entertaining enough for me - the Sabrina eps where the writers equated psychic powers to straight-up magic and she turns Ash & Co. into dolls, the one where Ash died for like 15 minutes and "lived" as the ghost until he decided to come back to life, the banned-at-one-time-ep where James had boobs, and Venustoise. The fact that this season had more banned eps per capita than any other one (Porygon ep notwithstanding) shows how little scruples the producers had at this point, and man do I love them for it.

But my favorite of the bunch is Island of the Giant Pokemon (#17). Now, any of the eps in the "St. Anne" trilogy could have made this spot, including Battle Aboard the St. Anne (where Ash actually owns a Raticate for a bit and we get to see an army of synchronized Pokemon beat up Team Rocket grunts for like a five minute stretch), but this one really has it all and then some. Not only do we get to "hear" (read) what the main cast's 'mons are saying for the first time (actually only time, even 15 years later), but it's so full of great moments it's hard to recall them all. Drunken Bulbasaur asking Squirtle if he thinks he's better than him (see above), Team Rocket making the "R" symbol out a phone chord in the middle of call to the boss, a Slowpoke very slowly evolving, another slowpoke running a bar in the middle of the woods for no clear reason, Squirtle's conversation with a giant Blastoise robot ("Yo, brother!") and the demolishing of several other robots with a minecart ("It's Bigachu!").

The best part is probably that the whole thing has no point at all and wasn't based on any scenario in the games, meaning it just came from the twisted mind of some showrunner who thought it would be great to have the Pokemon sit around, get plastered, and talk about how much they hate humans while mechas try to kill everyone. So, it's a filler, but it's the best filler ever. Like a jelly donut filled with another jelly donut.

For the movies, I don't really have a clear favorite. Like the show, I tend to jump around them and to this day I still don't think I've seen the 3rd one, but they all seem to fall into the same category of "Eh, they're okay, I guess." The first movie was the only one I've actually been hyped for, since anything with the word "Pokemon" on it circa 1999 drew me like a magnet, but I still didn't end up seeing it until a few years later on HBO. Since then I've mostly just seen whatever I can find here or there, but I guess I'll just say Pokemon Heroes (V) to stop dodging the question. It had one of the best insert songs ("Secret Garden"), and the Pikachu short (Camp Pikachu) was downright adorable. So basically I'm picking my favorite meal because of the appetizers rather than the entree, but, oh well. Alto Mare was a great setting, though.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher

But my favorite of the bunch is Island of the Giant Pokemon (#17). Now, any of the eps in the "St. Anne" trilogy could have made this spot, including Battle Aboard the St. Anne (where Ash actually owns a Raticate for a bit and we get to see an army of synchronized Pokemon beat up Team Rocket grunts for like a five minute stretch), but this one really has it all and then some. Not only do we get to "hear" (read) what the main cast's 'mons are saying for the first time (actually only time, even 15 years later), but it's so full of great moments it's hard to recall them all. Drunken Bulbasaur asking Squirtle if he thinks he's better than him (see above), Team Rocket making the "R" symbol out a phone chord in the middle of call to the boss, a Slowpoke very slowly evolving, another slowpoke running a bar in the middle of the woods for no clear reason, Squirtle's conversation with a giant Blastoise robot ("Yo, brother!") and the demolishing of several other robots with a minecart ("It's Bigachu!").

The best part is probably that the whole thing has no point at all and wasn't based on any scenario in the games, meaning it just came from the twisted mind of some showrunner who thought it would be great to have the Pokemon sit around, get plastered, and talk about how much they hate humans while mechas try to kill everyone. So, it's a filler, but it's the best filler ever.
^THIS. EP17 was absolutely hilarious.

You can answer one or both. Activity seems to be dropping, let's try to fix that! :)
Destiny Deoxys was my personal favorite movie, because it had Rayquaza AND Deoxys. Simply awesome. :toast:

Oddly enough, though, the only movie I own on DVD is the first one (which I also like as well).

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Day 17: it's gotta be the battle frontier match between Charizard and Articuno. The battles between Paul and Ash were pretty epic as well. I also liked the episode in Johto where Team Rocket first got Delibird, was hilarious. The anime before BW had many epic episodes, BW definitely took a fall since the battles were lamer and Team Rocket wasn't funny anymore, hopefully XY gets back to those days!

For me it's gotta be the first movie.

I mean, wow. The message isn't original by any means, but damn is it powerful. It starts off with a pretty cool arrangement of the theme song (this movie is very, very 90s), shows off a Pokemon that we literally knew NOTHING about at this point besides that it was a glitch and Mewtwo comes from it, has wonderful voice acting (myuu), and it actually gets pretty damn hardcore. You cry during this movie. If you don't cry during it, you are heartless heartless bastard.

Favorite episode? Wellllll.

That is all.

Um, i like the kanto episodes the best, don't have a particular favourite. As for the movies, I was pretty sad when Darkrai 'died' in "Rise of Darkrai". I think i nearly cried ;(

My favorite episode was the Great Race, where Ash rides a Ponyta against a bunch of people in a huge race. It was a really cool way to show off the challenges other than battling of the pokemon world.

The battle aboard the St. Anne is a close second, due to the presence of non-Jesse/James Team Rocket members. Plus, James gets conned by the magicarp salesman, Ash trades away Butterfry, and it ends with the St. Anne sinking with the heroes aboard! What a funny duology.

I liked the first four of the original pokemon movies, then they declined for me. Team Rocket was hilarious in 1-3, while movie #4 (Celebi movie) actually had a competent and really badass villain. Mewtwo Strikes Back is always #1 though.

Day 13: How do Colosseum/XD compare to other main-series games? I liked them b/c they were different and on a console, and the darker feel was nice. Them having no real online features did not help, though.

Day 14: If you were given a pill that erases all memory of Pokémon, would you take it? No, i've been hooked on the games since they came out stateside..and that lead to me buying merchandise like a Charizard plush. Pokemon is a part of my childhood and I would not have it any other way. I would also not have discovered Smogon and the competitive side of things, so it's a double no in this case.

Day 15: Which past feature do you want to return in XY? I know these would be more likely in a Gen III remake, but i would squeal like a girl if they brought back secret bases...i loved customizing them in RSE. DPP's underground area was a nice touch, but really was not the same.

Day 16: Did you enjoy the experience of starting fresh in BW? Yea, it was nice having to use all new pokemon and being in a totally unknown area. Was a very nice change of pace.

Day 17: What is your favorite Pokémon movie/anime episode? For episodes, anything involving Ash's Charizard. For Movies...probably 1 and 2. Those two along with some of the later ones, are the best in my opinion.

Destiny Deoxys, actually. I hadn't played or thought about Pokemon in years when I was flipping channels one day and caught a broadcast of it on Cartoon Network. Various elements of it (I think the techiness of Larousse City and the concept of Rayquaza attacking anything extraterrestrial) hooked me and sucked me right back in. I also loved Rise of Darkrai, both for the concept/plot (the idea that Darkrai's "Bad Dreams" are actually meant to inspire their subjects and give them the insights needed to save the world) and for "Oración:"

RODAN

Banned deucer.
So, as an avid movie buff I recently decided to rewatch all of the pkmn films - mostly for a sense of nostalgia. While doing this i came to a startling conclusion: Pokemon 3 is the best as a film. It is one of the only things the pokemon anime has ever done that fully fleshes out character other than generic angsty backstory. Molly is a character you honestly feel sorry for, and if you were in her situation you would act the same way. It also gives a viable reason for ash to actually be involved. The thing that shocked me the most was how personal the film was. there was no grandeur like in the 1st or 2nd. everything was very self contained and was driven purely by emotion rather than some prophecy.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ooohh... this one is interesting.

As for my favourite Anime episodes, there are a few sticking out. Most of them from the Indigo Saga.

Episode 1, of course, is flat out awesome. It starts with a professional Pokémon battle between mystic top trainers. It shows how Pokémon live in a society alongside humans. The Dodrio coo-cooing to wake up Pallet Town. All the merchandise in Ash's room.

The rest of the Indigo Saga is also fantastic. Let's just say all of it in general, with a special mention of the great race. I love the guy riding on an Electrode, probably chosen because it was the fastest Pokémon at the time (as in, the highest speed stat. I believe the Pokémon with the greatest landspeed is Arcanine - a Pokédex entry gives it an alleged cruise speed of 417 km/h). However, it turned out to be wildly impractical to ride. The Gym battles were also great, especially Cinnabar Gym with Charizard vs. Magmar.

However, I guess my favourite episode/arc is at the start of the Indigo League, when you finally see how the League isn't built specifically for Ash, and that his journey had a purpose all along. There is a parade. Big lobbies where trainers have to register, and where tournament matchups are drawn (using Magikarp and a fishing rod, if memory serves me correctly). A buffet restaurant nearby gives a free plate to all participating trainers. There is an Olympic village, a big torch to be lit, thousands of spectators (now, where are all those in the games?), speakers, themed battlefields, Prof. Oak comes to visit...
You see the big logistics organization required to run the big tournament, Ash is finally "one of the crowd", and he doesn't even win it all - but he performs very well. The matches also have a very official feel to them, as to underline that things have gotten professional. There are big stadiums with clear lines drawn in the fields, there are platforms trainers are required to stand on, a referee with flags declare wins or losses, and the match status is shown on a big screen.
It's the ultimate culmination of the Pokémon saga, the arc it would have ended with if they hadn't decided to continue the series. It would be a worthy end, definitely. I'll remember those episodes fondly.

Another mention should be made about a later episode, though: In the Hoenn saga, where Groudon meets Kyogre. This is the episode acknowledging the power of Legendary Pokémon, and man do they show that these titans are unstoppable when on the loose. It's like they wanted team Aqua/Magma to capture them, so they could be brought together for a fight. Kyogre takes things calmly, and escapes the Magma ship easily. Groudon takes control of Pikachu to steer events so that it can be set free. It has to be one of my favourite moments from Pokémon, when Groudon's eyes snap open, as if it's saying "enough of this, I wanna fight!", and it tears apart the chains tying it down in its container. You then cut to an exterior shot, where a massive explosion follows. A huge plume of fire and smoke rises to the sky. Then Groudon's silhouette emerges from its center, calmly walking away from the burning remains of Team Aqua's container.
Then follows an epic battle. Kyogre sending tsunamis the size of mountains towards the island, and Groudon obliterating them with Solarbeam. Multiple vicious tornadoes appear, only to be evaporated in the harsh sunlight. Not to mention the earthquakes. The two ancient Pokémon eventually calm down, Groudon walking into a volcano and Kyogre diving into an underwater trench, to sleep again for thousands of years until they meet again one day.

As for my favourite movie, it strangely involves the final member of the Weather Trio. Movie 7, Destiny Deoxys, is a favourite of mine because:
1) It has no true villain
2) The world isn't at stake
3) Ash isn't "the chosen one", though of course he has to play hero in the end.

This movie is mostly about Rayquaza and its relation to Deoxys. Rayquaza is the king of the sky, flying wherever it damn pleases around the ozone layer. Everybody fears and reveres Rayquaza, it is top dog and knows it.
However, its pride is badly hurt when a Deoxys has the audacity to almost crash into it where it flies. It's not only an intrusion of its personal space, it's flat out challenging Rayquaza's authority. Furious, Rayquaza sets out to destroy the insolent Deoxys. Its Hyper Beams rip the land apart, it destroys a research station with Outrage, thousands of wild Pokémon flee in panic as the battlers duke it out. Finally, after being tossed into the sea by Deoxys, Rayquaza manages to defeat it, firing a Hyper Beam into its most vulnerable spot at point-blank range. Deoxys is obliterated, and Rayquaza is the king of the sky once again. Peace is restored.

However, Pokémon attacks can't kill, the defeated will rise again sooner or later. This is usually a matter of seconds or minutes, but with the power of Rayquaza's Hyper Beam, it takes four years. Deoxys makes the error of calling out to its fallen comrade, who apparently collided with a comet at high enough speeds to fuse them together. Rayquaza hears/sees the call, and realizes its mortal enemy has returned. It sets off to LaRousse city, to extract its revenge. The residents of LaRousse clearly know how much power Rayquaza holds, as they promptly evacuate the city when they see it is coming. An epic battle follows.

However, as they fight, Rayquaza realizes there were reasons why Deoxys didn't pay attention that time back in the Antarctic. Slowly, it dawns that Rayquaza itself may be the aggressor, and Deoxys was hunted down and sent into a coma because of a misunderstanding. They finally wrap it up, and Rayquaza leaves, realizing he still is the uncontested king of the skies. Deoxys didn't want to overthrow Rayquaza, it was simply trying to protect its friend.

There is also some boring stuff about Ash, but he does little to influence the overall plot and turn of events. True, he saves the day when the cube robots go haywire, but that almost felt tacked on. Apart from that, though, Ash and co. are simply caught in the crossfire between two legendary Pokémon, and their goal is first and foremost to survive and get away from the city, instead of saving the world as usual. Nobody have any villainous intent here (apart from Team Rocket, who really shouldn't count), a fresh contrast to most of the other movies. It's simply a disaster/monster movie, where the city-crushing monsters express character development. That's kind of original.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)