Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

Day 19: Probably the most unfortunate thing was giving my copy of Diamond to my brother for him to play through, forgetting to first trade over my shiny Bibarel.

Day 19: What is the most unfortunate thing that has happened to you while playing Pokemon?
This was back in LeafGreen. I had collected around 350+ Pokémon excluding event mons. Had 700+ hours on it. Forgot it was in my pants pocket. My PC boxes were obliterated by a torrent wave of crashing water from a washing machine. I weeped for weeks.
It was a truly tragic experience. This was actually more heart-wrenching than when my Pokémon Diamond (that I was playing with my friend's DS) was stolen right from my hands while I was walking along the sidewalk.

He had a bike, there was no catching up with that. Paying my friend back with $100 was not fun.

This happened before I learned about RNG abuse. I was playing Platinum, and I was at the part just before Cynthia gave the Togepi Egg. I saved beforehand because I wanted a female, Serene Grace, Modest Togepi (probability of 0.25%). As I went into the grass, I encountered a shiny Meditite. I really wanted it, but I also didn't want Togepi to be different from what I want. I caught the Meditite, then hatched the Egg, hoping that everything was correct. My Togepi's Gender? Female. Nice! Nature? Modest. I was so happy that I could have the Togepi I wanted AND get a free shiny as well. Then I checked the Ability. Hustle. I'll never forget how much I raged that day. Since I really wanted to use Togepi but didn't want a Hustle Togepi (and I had no one to trade with), I was forced to reset. Bye bye, shiny Meditite.

On the bright side, once I finally got the right Togepi, I encountered a shiny Ralts near Hearthome City. I caught this one and evolved him into Gallade so that I could at least have a shiny Psychic/Fighting. It wasn't until after using the Dawn Stone that I realized Gallade had a Modest nature. Darn...

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Day 17: What is your favorite Pokémon movie/anime episode?
I find the Jirachi movie absolutely hilarious and campy, though I actually did kind of like the latias movie. I can't remember much of the episodes except for some season 1 ones >_<
Day 18: If you could erase one Pokémon from existence, which one would it be?
Can't really say. I know you could say bidoof or garbadoor, but...what purpose does watchog even have? Like, really? It has to be the most forgettable thing ever. From an annoying aspect, I would definitely pick Riolu's new mechanics....
Day 19: What is the most unfortunate thing that has happened to you while playing Pokemon?
Trying old-school copying glitches in gold to copy master balls and legendaries. It worked extremely well initially. I then tried to copy my typholsion...well, I've never copied since.

Bull of Heaven

Early in my adventure I bought a Game Corner Abra, gave it some TMs and was amazed at how much ass it promptly kicked. Its final moveset was Psychic, Fire Punch, Recover and Flash, and I would have it solo Red fairly often just because I was so proud that it could. Alakazam was easily stronger than any of my brother's Pokemon, and he would sometimes borrow it to help with troublesome opponents in his Gold version. Then one day he forgot to return it before restarting his game.
This was the first thing that came to mind, and is the clear winner in terms of in-game events, but it was really just the loss of one Pokemon. The real answer to this question has to be the demise of my Silver version's internal battery. Not only did I lose all of the first Pokemon I ever trained, but now if I want to replay my first game I have to either leave the system on for the entire playthrough or accept that I won't get very far.

Also, I didn't think of this when Stellar asked about anime episodes, but "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak" was definitely a good one. No wonder I thought Ghost-types were so cool after an episode like that.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My most unfortunate moment? I've been a cautious guy and not lost any of my games or anything like that, but I think I set a new low for Nuzlockes when I tried one.
I was walking through Solaceon Ruins hunting for loot, when I met an Unown. The Pokémon I led with, Bruce, my trusty Machop, had 25 exp. points left before reaching a new level, so I decided to fight it. Bruce failed to knock out the Unown, but was promptly OHKO'd by a Critical Hit HP Psychic (did some calcs, it had to be STAB-ed to be able to KO it).

I mean, there are bad Nuzlockes and terrible Nuzlockes. How many people throughout history have had one of their prime battlers lost to a wild Unown, of all things?

My Sapphire cartridge (yes the one with the infamous level 100 Sceptile) mysteriously vanished. I still don't know where it went.

Runner-up: I lent my level 79 Luxray and level 62 Torterra (my best Pokemon in Diamond) to my friend to help him beat Cynthia.

He lost the cartridge before I got them back.

I think I might've mentioned this when shinies were involved (I have a feeling I forgot though)... I bought a used Silver sometime before the 4th Gen came, just to finish my collection (Still missing LeafGreen and Sapphire). After I got home, I booted it up, and oh lookie me, a dead battery.
So I took it back to the store to get another one, this one with a functional battery. I started the game, took a Totodile, and it ended up being a Shiny. The very only non-gyarados/dratini/gible shiny I have ever attained myself. Well, I saved te game and all that, next time I came back... the battery had died.

Granted, by now I think all my 2nd Gen games are dead, so it'd be gone already, but...

My sister was done with Platinum, so being the gentleman I am I offered to take it off her hands, free of charge. I checked her pokes; nothing good to transfer, I'll start a new game. I come across some weird messages during the new game start-up, but shrug them off. I get the first badge and am about to challenge the second when I decide to save beforehand. Wait a minute. WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T SAVE?!

Gen 4+ introduced the pain-in-the-butt delete saved data function, which costed me a couple hours. Not terrible, but still something I'll never forget. If I enjoyed making up stories, I'd totally say I ran into a shiny while on my playthrough that I couldn't save. But that would not be truthful, haha.

When it comes to the games themselves, it's probably my shiny "one that got away" that a I talked about back in Day 2. Not much to say really, but the fact that the first shiny I ever encountered outside of the Big Red G happened to be one of my favorite pokes and I wasn't able to catch it ticked me off something fierce at the time. Yeah Rattata's are common as a cold, so statistically it made sense that this would be the one I'd see, but not having the balls necessary to catch this thing (yeah, let's go with that wording) was disheartening to say the least.

And while it's not really a most unfortunate, a lot of my early cards from the TCG are in pretty bad shape due to me just not taking care of them when I was younger. I carried these things to school all the time; the only protection being a cheap clear plastic case with a hinge that squeaked like crazy. At best, the cards would be worn around the edges by being knocked around inside, but at worst they'd look like they had a run-in with a belt sander. If I had any foresight at all I probably would have gotten sleeves for them, but it's not like I had anything I could potentially save for retirement or something. I have a small collection of personal favorites from back in the day still around, but got rid of the rest a long time ago. I might consider that my most unfortunate decision if they somehow become worth their weight in gold in like 20-30 years, but ehh.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
Day 19:

When I was younger, I was playing my Silver cart and, for some reason that I can't remember, I wanted to change the in-game time manually. For those who aren't aware, this is done by first pressing down+select+B at the title screen, and then entering a code that changes based on how much money you have and your ID (you can search for calculators online that can determine this code for you). Once you do that, you can change the time and day to whatever you want.

However, I couldn't remember what the button combination was and my internet wasn't working, so I had to sit there and think for a while before I finally thought to myself "YES, I REMEMBER, THE COMBINATION IS UP+SELECT+B!"

So I did that and...

CLEAR ALL SAVE DATA AREA?

So yeah, obviously I realised I must have pressed the wrong combination. But that's ok, I thought, because I can just say no and worry about it later.

However, what I didn't realise was that, unlike the majority or "yes or no" situations in Pokemon, the cursor for this particular question was set to no as the default. So, when I saw the position of the cursor, I simply pressed down and A out of habit, realising half a second after pressing A that I had JUST DELETED MY SAVE FILE! Oops!

The funny thing is that it happens so fast in the old games. In Pokemon Black for example, it asks you slowly if you want to do it, and then asks again just to be sure, and then it takes about 30 seconds to load for before it finishes. In Silver, it asks you just once, the text scrolls at normal speed, and the save file is gone the moment you select yes. I got to find out the hard way why they changed it!

Day 19: My most unfortunate experience in the real world has to be the fact that I used to own all the main series games from gen 1-gen 3. Then I didnt play for a couple years and BOOM! Cant find any of them. In-game has to be my tendency to always get hit by Focus Miss, no matter what.

This one will be short since smogon was down yesterday, but here we go.

It can either be something in the game (e.g., accidentally released your starter) or something in real life (e.g., ruined your Yellow cartridge in the washing machine).
The worst thing that has ever happened to me was the disappearance of my Pokemon Diamond cartridge. It had a lot of natural shinies (including, but not limited to: two shiny Ponytas, a shiny Rhydon, and a shiny Psyduck), not to mention the memories. ;_;
I WILL FIND HIM!

A close runner up would be when I was forced to restart my LeafGreen game after I messed up the Daycare Center with the GameShark (I tried to use a code for fast breeding or something, but all that resulted was a ton of Bad Eggs). I traded all of my "memorable" Pokemon over, but it too had a lot of natural shinies on it (including a shiny Zubat and a shiny Raticate), and I've never had much luck with shiny Pokemon ever since.

My experiences with using the GameShark on LeafGreen and Emerald are what encouraged me to no longer use it (and the Action Replay for the DS games) from Platinum and on.

Day 19:
I guess I'm lucky. Other than annoying crits and internal batteries dying I haven't had a really unfortunate thing :/ I do miss my original Silver version though

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Meh, i dont really have that much for today, other than losing my R4 last year, where btw was my Platinum and HeartGold save file... oh crap imma cry

WHY AM I SUCH AN IDIOT

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Been away for a couple of days so let’s get into it!

Day 13 (Colo/XD): I never owned a Gamecube or anything fancy like that so I never got a good chance to play these. I played them at a friends house and a few times on the display consoles at shops but that's about it. They seemed pretty cool…

Day 14 (Memory Pill): This is a tough question, I’m not really sure how to answer. Is the point of the question 'would we like to experience pokemon again for the first time?' or 'do we want to be able to forget pokemon so we can move on / do other things with our lives?' In answer to the first question, no. If I had no recollection of the games, and found my gameboy / DS etc lying around the house, I would of course try it out for the sake of curiosity, but I don't think it would be the same. The reality is that it's a kids game, and without all the memories of playing it to build off of, I probably would see it as childish and opt for other games to play instead... And in answer to the other question, also no. This one is tough for me though. Sure, I don't want to give up the memories, but of course if I did, I wouldn't be able to miss it because I wouldn't remember it any more. So I guess it comes down to how my life would change if Pokemon wasn't a factor. All I can really think of right now is all the extra sleep I'd be getting (probably from a lack of sleep!)

Day 15 (Past Features): Everyone said it already, walking Pokemon. I didn't see any leaks or spoilers before HGSS, and didn't even look at the box art. I just jammed that cartridge in and started playing. All of a sudden I have a Cyndaquill standing next to me. Then my brother starts yelling "Totodile is walking behind me!!" I pretty much went and completed the dex in the game just to see what every Pokemon looked like walking behind you. It was just such a little thing that made a huge difference to the game, I loved it. I sort of get why it wouldn't work in the newer games, with all the sprites needed for BW, and all the 3D models needed for XY. Even if they just limited it to your starter like in Yellow would be good enough for me. It gets lonely adventuring on your own... Aside from that, bring back all the classic mini games. Gen III contests, pokeathlon, pokestar studios, PWT. All those cool things

Day 16 (Starting Fresh in BW): So I don't want to contradict myself about saying I probably wouldn't get back into the games after having my memory wiped, because this is different, I still had Pokeknowledge to build off of. I loved starting fresh because it did give me a nostalgic feel about when I was a kid, which I obviously wouldn't get after taking the pill. I was hoping for a similar thing in XY, but I guess I'll just limit my first few playthroughs to be with just gen VI 'mons

Day 17 (Favourite Ep / Movie):
Pretty sure I've seen every single episode in the anime, which is making it pretty damn hard to pick a favourite. There are so many rubbish filler episodes with nothing going on, and a lot of the good stuff happens over multiple episodes. Hate to be cliche, but the first one has got to be the best single episode. It sets up the series really well. Ash's battle with Blaine was a good one, as well as his first pokemon league campaign. The Orange League arc was probably my favourite. The gym battles were really cool. The best one is probably when Misty gets hit on the whole episode by the gym leader, and Ash has to climb the mountain, freeze the water, carve a sled, and race to the bottom. The one when Misty thinks her Psyduck evolved is a good one too. That Golduck was cool as hell, and became one of my favourite 'mons. Moving ahead, the Sinnoh episodes were probably the best battle-wise. Brock would talk about abilities and move effects, and Ash and Paul had semi-competitively-viable teams, and used real strategy, including switching!! That guy with the Darkrai and Latios in the league was a bit cheap, but also kinda cool to see a trainer like that.

As far as movies go, I only saw the first couple as a kid. Haven't really bothered with them to be honest. Mostly because they don't come out in the cinema's here, or aren't on TV, the DVD's are expensive, and my PC doesn't handle bulk downloading so well. I woke up one morning at a mate's place after a pretty big night out and the TV has been left on. Arceus and the Jewel of Life was just starting so I watched that, and really enjoyed it! I don't know if it was just because I was super hung over or whatever but it was pretty cool..

Day 18 (Pokemon kill-off): I never really liked the idea of Pichu. I get that they introduced a bunch of baby ‘mons to showcase breeding in gen 2, but did Pikachu really need one? I thought Pikachu was already pretty baby-ish, and didn’t really make sense that now Ash’s starter was an evolved form, and if he had evolved once before, why was he so against evolving into Raichu? Pichu just seemed like an unnecessary addition that just didn’t fit in flavour-wise..

Day 19 (Unfortunate Events): I lent my girlfriend my Yellow version to play on an old Gameboy she had found in her parent’s basement. We broke up some time after, I never got the game back :’(

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Day 19: I lost my LeafGreen version. To this day, it is the only main series game I am missing ;_;

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I thought this question would be fitting for today...

Day 20: How much did you spoil yourself before launch in previous generations?

A lot. I always want to know almost everything about the game before I buy it, like what my starter will evolve into, which partners will join me, what the Gym Leaders are, etc. I also want to explore the new region itself, so I refrain from looking up route and cave layouts, minor trainers, that sort of thing.

Day 20:
Always up to the same point: I want to know what the version exclusives are before I pick the game. So, quite a lot spoiled.

I regret skipping RSE and then DPPlHGSS. I did eventually get most of those games so I've played each generation now but unfortunately I missed all the events.

Day 20: How much did you spoil yourself before launch in previous generations?

When RBY was released I didn't know a thing about the games except that it was about these creatures with different powers. By GSC Pokémon was huge and I followed all the news in the K-Zone magazine and everyone was talking about it at school but compared to these days I didn't know much because the internet wasn't around back then. I skipped RSE and DPPlHGSS but I followed all the news on the internet for BW/2. I'm so excited about XY that I've been picking up every Nintendo magazine since the game was first announced (mainly so I can look at all the pretty pictures), I've watched all the Nintendo Directs related specifically to Pokémon and I've been checking out bulbapedia almost every day hoping to see new Pokémon etc. So I've been quite well-informed for the last two gens.

Last edited:
Day 20: I have spoiled myself COMPLETELY by playing the rom in japanese in every generation except RBY and GS. And now I'm proud to say that as of now, I have not spoiled myself for X and Y. I know that there are leaks today and I have avoided ALL of them! I have not a clue what they are. I will continue this suffocation for the rest of the week and next week. Thankfully I have anime and other games to distract me. I will NOT spoil myself for X and Y!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)