Poke rumors from over a decade ago and 6th gen.

I remember when people were anticipating the release of gen 2 Gold/Silver, all kinds of rumors where flying about. For example, anybody remember that the starters were getting some way to get a 4th evolution!? The names were Charcolt, Supasaur, and Rainer? I remember back then that somehow people were very excited for the possibility and couldn't imagine what second gen would be like. O _0 Now it basically in a way, has become a reality.

And Pokemon with even fake sprites posted like Doomsay/Doomsday ghost type poke. And how Maril back then was called Pikablu and was apparently already catchable in R/B and evolved from pikachu.

Anybody else remember those rumors? I bet if people back then saw the mega's, they would be hyped beyond all reason.

Ah, the good old days. I remember learning about the existence of Gen II by seeing imported Japanese Pokemon cards and having no idea what they were.

I ended up buying a few: the Gen II fire-type and water-type starters, which I called "Burnie" and "Dino," (lay off--I was 12 at the time), a Chinchou I called "Angler," and then a Girafarig and a Natu--no recollection of what I called them, though I think Girafarig's might have been relatively close to its actual name.

Keep in mind--this was back in the day before the internet was omni-present, so if the names were leaked at the time, I would have had no way of knowing.

Edit: Googling Charcolt and Supasaur yields only one result, which contains the name of a few more fake-mons (raticlaw = raticate evo?)

I was just thinking about Charcolt the other day. I hate Charizard's megas (was never a huge fan of 'zard to begin with) but I remember how much people at my middle school were all over the concept of so-called PokeGods. Nowadays, though, they dismiss the idea.

I remember a coverage site with the list of the "new" pokemon, as well as well made fake sprites, lol. I also remember the "smogon" of that day, it's symbol was a butterfree, and the site was light bluish/light purple. It had in depth analysis of attacks, stat mods, and all the other stuff smogon does now, even a forum. It even had a it's own poke simulator with all 151 pokes.

Although there were no rules costraining your pokemons moveset in the simulator, so practically everybody was running electrode with spore as a lead, really annoying. Yes, there was simulators with multiplayer connecticity back then.

I too was a kid, but I knew about search engines. And the cool thing about back then was that you could click and read on all the results you'd find in search, unlike now, where you easily get 10,000 results per search. :{

I definitely remember in my elementary school days the whole SS Anne truck-moving rumor being out in full force, as well as the mythical Pikablu evolution, or Oak becoming Mewthree once you caught all 151.

Since then the internet and its fact-checking have become too prominent to feature many solid myths, in my opinion.

Hey, the myth about Swim Goggles or whatever from 4th gen fooled a lot of people when Diamond and Pearl came out. I actually didn't hear many rumors when I was young, except one about a pink cat, which I guess ended up being Espeon. I don't remember the fake name kids gave it though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)