Nano Shinonome's signature team! (Rank # 40)

Intro

Hello everyone, Nano Shinonome (known on Showdown) here to give you my first and last RMT for 5th gen UU with a team that has been around since the very start of the fifth generation. With this team I have managed to keep a decent rating on the ladder, with right now ranked at #40 and still climbing as a last HO-RAH to the premier of X & Y. Down below you will find the build and inner-workings of this fun team.

The Team itself:

260.gif
494.gif
214.gif
178f.gif
465f.gif
082.gif

In detail:

260.gif

Bert (Swampert) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Waterfall

First on the list (like many teams before) is the hazard user. Swampert has always been great stealth rocker being able to take the physical hits and returning the favor with his powerful stabs. Earthquake for one, can KO offensive Roserades on switch-ins and cause severe damage to defensive Roserade sets. Waterfall is decent hitter dealing with the Ground, Rock and Fire types with the addition of it being able to nab a flinch-hax on occasion. Lastly, I use Roar just to keep set-up pokes such as Sub-Dragon Dance Kindra and Sub-Sword Dance Bisharp.

494.gif

Slick Vick (Victini) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- V-create
- Psychic
- Grass Knot

With Victini still around in UU (for the time being) I use him as an alternative lead to Swampert. With Victini's item being Expert Belt, you can bluff your way closer to victory, knocking your opponents off guard while gaining added damages on super effective hits. Vicitni can smash Bronzong with V-create, trip up the heavy Pokes like Swampert and Rhyperior, and lure in a kill on a Hitmontop with Psychic. Not to mention outspending Life-orb Nidoking. Plus with U-turn you can maintain you illusion and keep your momentum going.

178f.gif

Pokéhauntus (Xatu) (F) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- U-turn
- Toxic

Next on the list is Xatu. With it's great utility and wonderful ability Xatu assist it's teammates to get the job done. Screens are almost vital on this team as common threats such Chandelure and Darmanitan can decimate my team. With especially U-turn, I've learned a little trick to make opponent's Claydols absolutely useless. With both access to U-turn, Xatu and Vicitini can team up to beat down Claydol while resisting and avoiding it's common attacking moves. Xatu can fly over Earthquakes, while Victini can resist in-coming Ice Beams. Plus Claydol has to work extra hard in predicting when to set its Rocks or fire off a Toxic.

214.gif

KUWAGATA!! (Heracross) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

I feel like Heracross is least in needing to be explained. For the entirety of the 5th get is has been in the top 10 UU pokemon in usage and I think even the top 5. If there's anything to not is that I run Heracross as a pursuit user; taking out Life Orb variants of Azelf and Chandelure wanting to run and switch. Also I use Guts as the ability over Moxie since it can benefit from being Toxic and Burned. All around, one of the great Pokemon in the UU metagame, however not my favorite.

465f.gif

L. Bush (Tangrowth) (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

One of my last two favorite Pokemon on this team is Tangrowth. With it's incredible physical bulk it shrugs off many of UU's heavy physical hitters and with that bulk it can return with a nasty Stun Spore or smack an item off with Knock Off. In the early days I found that this Tangrowth was a really good check to Scarf Flygon, with it's Outrages only managing to 3 hko, which is enough turns to counter and take it out with an HP Ice after Stealth Rocks. This thing at full health can withstand a STAB Brave Bird from a Jolly Life Orb Honchkrow, again countering with HP Ice to take it out!

Another thing that I should mention about Tangrowth is about the item that its carrying. Lately I've been asked why it carries Lum Berry. The reason for that is to bait pokemon which use Toxic or any other status inflicting moves. Tangrowth after the use of its Lum Berry can then switch to either Xatu that bounce the move back; Heracross to receive the status and get a Guts boost or to my last pokemon that is unaffected to poison movies.

082.gif

Biscuit (Magneton) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

With a colossal 556 Special Attack, Specs Magneton is phenomenal and can blast holes into any team, if predicted correctly. As the second highest special attacking electric type in UU and with HP Ice, you can forget about the ground types that who think they can switch to take its Thunderbolt. Once the ground types are gone, keep your momentum going with Volt Switch or blast them away with Thunderbolt or Flash Cannon. Not even after one Calm Mind boost, can Suicune survive a Thunderbolt. The only notable pokemon I know that can stand against Magneton is Snorlax, Umbreon and Ferroseed.

Its ability is another to thing to look at. I find Sturdy a bit more useful over Magnet Pull, since the fact that there's very few other steel types in UU and ones like Cobalion could outspeed my Magneton and Ferroseed resist everything since I don't use HP Fire. So how Magenton works with Sturdy is that I can use it as a "One Time use Last Ditch Glass Cannon" against Pokemon that can outspeed my entire team. Think of Kindra under rain or Scarf pokes like Darmanitan. This set has save me from dire straits more then once. Of course it pointless if there's hazards on the field.

In conclusion/Threat List

This team has been around since the beginning and is this trainer's favorite team. It is really a powerful team but even more so, its just really fun to use. And with any team it has its weaknesses such as Scarf Darmanitan and the variants of Chandelure. Don't mess around with them and take them out quickly. Another threat to mention are teams that revolve around Trick Room.

My Team in Action:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-47008369
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-48722089

Import:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=5uNbMrMf

Last edited:
Cool team you got there! I got a few nitpicks though..
1. Why adamant and max attack/hp on swampy? I think the uu tank set might me better since you can take still roar out a +1 kingdra with a more defensive spread.
2. Hera is cool but i dont recommend pursuit tbh. Its really weak and extremely situational. I think earthquake or sleep talk would benefit you more in this spot over pursuit. Earthquake hits chandy (who is already hit hard by stone edge) but sleep talk gives you a +1 boost thanks to guts.
3. Victini is good but watch out for pursuit snorlax which is close to a ohko on the switch thanks to hasty nature.
4. I dont see the point of xatu besides bouncing hazards anx setting up screenz for no sweeper. If you had a set up sweeper like dd kingdra or scrafty then by all means but i feel that this spot is being wasted by xatu.
5. Tangrowth looks good on paper but it opens a big mess of a threat kf roserade on your team. Swampert is ohko by leaf storm. Xatu is almost ohko by sludge bomb. I think stallbreaker crobat would go great here. Swampy and crobat form a great defenaive core.
6. I highky highly recommend using analytic over sturdy on mton. It gets a 30% boost including on thr switch. Hp grass over hp ice to hit rhyprrior hard (62.75% to ohko) also you may want to tweak the evs a bit to the standard specs set on smogon. At base 70 speed there arent too many notable pokes to outpace/speed tie except honchkrow which will ohko mton with superpower. Its safer to just switch out to a fighting resist.

Cool team you got there! I got a few nitpicks though..
1. Why adamant and max attack/hp on swampy? I think the uu tank set might me better since you can take still roar out a +1 kingdra with a more defensive spread.
Wow I totally see the error on the build of my Swampert. I can definitely changed that so it can have more of a chance against the heavy physical hitters.

Lum Berry Tangrowth, while in theory great, does not do work on this sort of team. First off, if Heracross manages to snag a kill, the player will realize that Heracross is most likely guts. In addition to this, if a player sees Xatu, that is another reason NOT go for the status move, but rather, a special attacking move, such as Ice Beam or Fire Blast. Due to these two glaring facts of your team, I would definitely opt to run Leftovers on Tangrowth.

Another change I would make is putting Sleep Powder on Tangrowth over Sleep Powder. While Stun Spore does work, it only really affects fast scarf-sleep talkers, such as Crobat. While I can see why stun spore is used, Sleep Powder is equivalent to killing a Poke to a non-sleep talker, not to mention your team forces out quite a bit of switches.

For Victini, I really believe that you should either swap your EV's to cater to snagging those 2HK's or OHKs, as in split EVs. If not, I would shift all your Special Attack EVs to Attack. This way, you can bluff the scarf set better since no one uses scarfed special sets. Psychic will still OHK Qwilfish and OHK Hitmontop after some residual. A heavily invested V-create will hit things such as Specially Defensive Togekiss and Raikou harder than the set you have now.

Since you have HP Ice on Tangrowth, why do you feel the need to run HP Ice on Mag? I would run HP Grass to hit things like Swampert and Lanturn, something Flash Cannon cannot do (Maybe even Rhyperior).

I feel like Physically Defensive Xatu would be better on your team, the speedy version kind of blows. Basically, you outspeed things like Adamant Arcanine and neutral-speed Kingdra. The screens are great; however, many players will not give you and opportunity to set up 2 screens. Because of this, that physical bulk you have will be of more utility since Xatu is generally not a good pivot switch.

One last thing, don't say gtfo to player, especially when you've played them twice and lost to them twice. gg
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uucurrent-54566680

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One last thing, don't say gtfo to player, especially when you've played them twice and lost to them twice. gg
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uucurrent-54566680
The foe's Slick Vick usedPsychic!
It's super effective! Crobat lost100% of its health!
Nano Shinonome: gtfo
Hugecliffs: whoa calm down sir, I just built this team and this is the first battle I have gotten with it
Nano Shinonome:sorry I was talking to crobat

He apologized for the confusion - there's no need to patronize.

EDIT: Nano Shinonome: (Private to Hugecliffs) Like I said to your Crobat, do yourself a favor and gtfo

Despite any offense you might have taken, there's still no need to patronize or to take the issue here.

Last edited:
The foe's Slick Vick usedPsychic!
It's super effective! Crobat lost100% of its health!
Nano Shinonome: gtfo
Hugecliffs: whoa calm down sir, I just built this team and this is the first battle I have gotten with it
Nano Shinonome:sorry I was talking to crobat

He apologized for the confusion - there's no need to patronize.

EDIT: Nano Shinonome: (Private to Hugecliffs) Like I said to your Crobat, do yourself a favor and gtfo

Despite any offense you might have taken, there's still no need to patronize or to take the issue here.
Thanks for the tip and not a patronizing berating troll session.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)