Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't really mind the size of Pumpkaboo, feel free to go ahead with the back once you have more photos of the little guy.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So glad that Arkeis and eclep are contributing. :D (eclep's the one who made those really smoothy animated Xerneas and Yveltal sprites, by the way.) I love their sprites.

I'm not as prolific as earlier, but I'm still getting sprites out. Aromatisse, Slurpuff, and Heliolisk are new.

I'm on #XYSprites occasionally in case anyone wants help with sprites.

The basis looks pretty good, I'm sure some people will find some QC to do but it looks pretty good.

It doesn't matter what Pokemon it is though, you can't have 1x1 pixel eyes.
Well, there's Ditto.

Hello guys, just popping in.
Wyverii, while I believe your Mega Mewtwo X has a phenomenal front sprite, I couldn't help being intrigued by some of the spriting decisions you've made on the back.

On the right is your original version, on the left my edited version.
In honesty the edits I made were absolutely miniscule, nothing major:

- I shifted the eye up. I'm aware that it's not anatomically correct that way - because it won't be directly under its ear-flap - but when viewed in normal size, the fault is hard to see, and more importantly, it looks more correct - in that the eye is level with those of the front sprite.
EDIT: Oh, ninja'd. I see you've corrected this one in your post, I'll go with it.

- I smoothed out the tail curves, there were several oddities going on in there.

- I made the "butt" of his tail less thick (where it joins the leg on our left). If you refer to official screenshots:

that part isn't supposed to be very thick at all, unlike the ladle-esque shape that your tail has. I just sort of toned it down a little.

But anyways, great job to you, and to most of everyone else. I'll officially join this project once my end-of-year exams are over, which is around early November.
Good luck!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kept Wyv's eye edit, and also ice's tail edit

I think this works best.

If you followed the smogon facebook page you might have noticed a poll posted related to this project. I've got around 500 responses from it and it gave me a good idea of how an average player will value the work we do here. Some of the results surprised me but I'll share more later on that once it's been up a few days.

A friend from DeviantART sent me.
I have sprites for Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie (Front&Back), Yveltal (is too large though), Xerneas, Helioptile, Mega Garchomp, Swirlix, Sylveon, Mega Blaziken (all Front only), and I'm working on Chesnaught.

Looking at the table you need none but Chesnaught, but he's reserved, and I don't bother making sprite solely for this as I'm busy enough with other things.

If I get this whole idea wrong then please tell me, I'll send them after all (how do you show them directly on here when you only have them uploaded on DeviantART? Just wondering).

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Tooned is a backsprite incoming on that?

A friend from DeviantART sent me.
I have sprites for Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie (Front&Back), Yveltal (is too large though), Xerneas, Helioptile, Mega Garchomp, Swirlix, Sylveon, Mega Blaziken (all Front only), and I'm working on Chesnaught.

Looking at the table you need none but Chesnaught, but he's reserved, and I don't bother making sprite solely for this as I'm busy enough with other things.

If I get this whole idea wrong then please tell me, I'll send them after all (how do you show them directly on here when you only have them uploaded on DeviantART? Just wondering).
I'll watch your DA page and let you know if I need anything. I don't go by Layell there but I'll let you know it's me for this project.

Anyways quick Mewtwo X QC as the tail was facing the wrong way.

RedRooster we already have a nice Malamar check the OP.

Last edited:
Layell, you can take a stab at it if you'd like considering that I am terrible with back sprites and it'd take me a while.

EDIT: Working on the back sprite! Thanks for the notification Wyverii!

Last edited:
How difficult is it to recolor sprites? I have almost no spriting experience, but I would love to help with making shiny sprites once they are discovered. I'm just curious if it would be possible for me to learn how to recolor easily enough so I could help out.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Finished the first draft of Escargoo. It's not quite done yet, as I'll probably make some updates once we get clearer colours and a confirmed height (I made my best guess for now). I may be able to throw together a decent backsprite sometime soon, though it would be better if there was a reference for it.

I'm a sucker for in-battle forme changers (Meloetta is awesome), so I think I'll reserve Aegislash while waiting for a Goodra back image, unless Quanyails wants to sprite it since those Honedge and Doublade sprites are pretty incredible.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
How difficult is it to recolor sprites? I have almost no spriting experience, but I would love to help with making shiny sprites once they are discovered. I'm just curious if it would be possible for me to learn how to recolor easily enough so I could help out.
Recolouring a sprite is probably the easiest thing to do, the big thing really is knowing how to select colours as well. This will be something to do later once somebody confirms all the shiny mons.

Decided to try Sliggoo since it looked fairly simple. I'm gonna touch up a few things that need work and I'll definitely be making a back sprite when I get a reference. I'm aware that Noscium made the whole Goomy line already.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
So I've got about 1000 participants on the Sprite poll from the facebook page and the results aren't shifting dramatically lets take a look.

These other results were from 1: disagree, to 5 agree.

Any custom sprites should be on par with normal sprites: 4.14953271028037
I would be able to play even with placeholder sprites or shrunken artwork: 3.58255451713396
Consistency between the front and back sprites are important to me: 4.13968253968254
Giving sprites animations or quality updates based on usage statistics in tiers is important: 3.4984126984127
I have been paying attention to the XY Sprite Project on Smogon: 2.71884984025559
Mega Formes similar in colours/size to their normal counterparts is important: 4.04984423676012

Overall I'm really surprised at the number of people who play with animations, one thing to keep in mind is the the smogon fb page doesn't have just competitive people but a lot of users who aren't as big into the scene but still pay attention to us. Without a doubt for now I'm only worried about static sprites but we all know everyone wants those animations.

Also taking this http://noscium.deviantart.com/art/Bergmite-Sprite-405351839

and made this:

Last edited:

Noibat may be the cutest thing to ever exist, but I am sub par at shading/spriting. Whomever wants him can have him.
Edit: Changed my mind. I will at least attempt a back sprite. Criticism welcome

Last edited:
Wobblebuns, Corson, Tooned, RedRooster. Please make sure to do backsprites for your current projects. Anybody that does a decent set with a backsprite will get precedence over a sprite that does not.

The people not tagged I know have a backsprite in the works, is waiting for reference or has participated recently.

I'd like to reserve Clawitzer just so that I can say I did something for this project. Jumping on the ship kind of late, so I'll take what I can get.

(EDIT: Wow, that Google Doc got updated fast. I heartily commend whoever's managing that list. You have my respect, sir.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)