Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

Day 5: What is your favorite Pokémon and why? Mamoswine, because in Gen 4 It was a pokemon that had space on all my teams as something people would never expect as a Choice Scarfed Revenge Killer. Feraligatr is right there with it though because it was the first pokemon I leveled up to 100 without cheating.

Day 9: What is your favorite region and why? My favorite region is probably Johto because it was the first version I played in.

Day 12: Which song/theme is the most nostalgic? Pokemon Johto theme song because it reminds me of when I first got into watching pokemon and when I watched the Johto series I remember the battle against Bugsy in particular because I watched that episode with my best friend at the time, or Goldenrod City music, I literally spent hours just sitting in the city listening to that song play. I'm not a huge fan of the heartgold/soulilver version though.

Day 19: What is the most unfortunate thing that has happened to you while playing Pokemon? I lost my blue version that I got for my 7th birthday when I was in vacation in Switzerland, I cried and was too ashamed to tell my mom that I had lost it. :''(

Day 21: What are your plans for release day (October 12)?I'm gonna do what I did to super Smash bros brawl on the night of it's release and fap to the preview I'm pretty freakin excited

Day 23: Which Pokémon was the biggest disappointment when you used it in-game? Mawile I used him in my party in gen 3 he didnt do any damage at all and he had low HP and at the time I thought I should only teach my pokemon the type of moves which are their actual types, in other teach pokemon STAB attacks. I never realized that that wouldn't really give me any sort of variety on my attacks. This also made him disappointing because he didn't learn any good steel type moves. i'n hoping his mega-evolution in XY gives him a new found life because he really has a super awesome design.

Day 25: Are you going to buy Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, or both? I'm thinking of buying both versions as I plan on catching 'em all I hope that Pokemon Bank allows me to transfer pokemon in between the two games. As for trade pokemon I think I'm just gonna have to rely on the GTS system in gen 6.

Sorry I'm a little late with all this

Day 15: Which past feature do you want to return in XY?
Contests. ADV Era Contests.
Day 16: Did you enjoy the experience of starting fresh in BW?
No, I felt like it was a poor excuse to try and force in new fans and was glad to see the backflip in BW2 to older targets.
Day 17: What is your favorite Pokémon movie/anime episode?
The race where Ash borrows the Ponyta.
Day 18: If you could erase one Pokémon from existence, which one would you choose?
Mewtwo, I've always hated it. And it seems cheap and added nothing to the game when it came in or since.
Day 19: What is the most unfortunate thing that has happened to you while playing Pokemon?
Probably nothing more than just turning off without saving.
Day 20: How much did you spoil yourself before launch in previous generations?
Not really, I just grab them when they come out.
Day 21: What are your plans for release day (October 12)?
I'm not sure I'll be grabbing them on release tbh.
Day 22: Who is the coolest NPC in the Pokémon games?
The Youngster in RBY with a Rattata and an Ekans.
Day 23: Which Pokémon was the biggest disappointment when you used it in-game?
Shuckle
Day 24: What is the cutest Pokémon?
Oh this is a terribly difficult question. Espeon and Joltik for example are both adorable, but for different types of cute.
Day 25: Are you going to buy Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, or both?
Dunno, probs X.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Going to buy Y at first. Decided it while pre-ordering, by flipping a coin before the store clerk.

I guess i might buy X later on, it depends on the replay value of Y. If I'm not mistaken, the "third games" in the series will probably be announced some time next year, slated for a release next fall. This/these will - by formula - be quite a bit better than X and Y, so I might wait for it/them instead.

Day 24: Charmander. I remember when i opened my Red version in 1996 under the christmas tree...and saw Charizard on the cover..that's honestly where my love of that entire evolutionary line started. Any game where i can choose the little fire lizard, i do.

Day 25: Y because i like Yveltal better.

I've pre-ordered and paid for both but I've decided to play Y first since I so far prefer all the Y version exclusives so far except for Mega Charizard were I prefer the X version, but the thing is I only want to use 6th gen pokémon during my first playthrought so the kanto starter will be boxed anyway. Then I can play X with Charmander in my team :) If I could only choose one game I would still pick Y.

Now that I think about it, I've picked Pearl, Leafgreen, Soul silver, Silver and White. But I can't say I have a thing for the "secondary" games, I swear its just a big coincidence O.o The leafgreen was ONLY cause it was the only game they had at the store, I do prefer Charizard..

I'll get both eventually (Though, based on what we've seen so far, making a team of just 6 is going to be hard. Using some old stuff (With Mega's this time) to bring it to two full teams might be a thing I need to do), but for now, X is the way to go.

I actually originally pre-ordered X by half-accident, and a few days later, we saw the first non-legendary exclusives. I much preferred Clauncher, so X worked for me all the way, and even now, more or less everything I want are in X.

So X ended up being my first choice in the end for the exclusives.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It seems like Pokemon X has the cooler Mega Evolutions but Y has the cooler legendary and exclusive Water-type (sorry Clauncher but Skrelp has such an amazing evo!). I'm leaning towards Y because I want to see how Yveltal's story pans out. If it's about destruction, I want to see destruction! Cities and landscapes destroyed, Pokemon being blasted into smithereens or at least blown 9000 miles toward the horizon, just total chaos (hopefully?!). Xerneas's story seems to be about regeneration and life and I don't think that's too interesting (I mean it's too goody good).

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Day 24: Really Stellar, really? Thats so horrible making me choose... but if I had to, it'd have to be Manaphy, closely followed by Shaymin. What really swayed me was thinking about my favourite pokemon game(s), outside the main series. PMD2. Baby Manaphy is just so damn cute. You can't deny it. Then in Explorers of Sky, lil cutie Shaymin helps you up Sky Peak, then thinks he's so cool transforming :P All the other Pixies with honourable mentions too.

Day 25: Both, always have, always will. I will be using Y as my main version for now though.

Day 1: What is your first memory of Pokémon?
Getting Red Version for my Christmas present along with a Game Boy Color, and thus being my first introduction into video games.

Day 2: What was your first experience with a shiny Pokémon?
Don't remember

Day 3: How close have you come to "catching 'em all"?
I completed the Pokedex in Red, even Mew through a trade. In 4th Gen I had one of every Pokemon, but I used an Action Replay to get Event Pokemon and to generally speed up the process (not cheating them in, more infinite rare candies and quick breeding)

Day 4: What was your first level 100 Pokémon?
The Charizard in my Red version.

Day 5: What is your favorite Pokémon and why?
Haxorus, because at the end of the day, dragons + axes = awesome.

Day 6: Which Pokémon rumors did you believe when you were younger?
I tried that Truck trick so hard when I was younger. I still try to do the Up+B capture trick to this day.

Day 7: Which aspect of XY are you looking forward to the most?
For some reason I don't feel as excited for this one, but from hearing about it elsewhere I'm looking forward to how much the 3DS capabilities improve the experience.

Day 8: What are your Pokémon "quirks"?
As mentioned, I will often do the Up+B capture trick even knowing it doesn't work, especially if it's a difficult capture. When collecting all the Pokemon, I would put them all in National Dex order, with the boxes renamed to show which numbers were inside. I usually keep my team in order from lowest-to-highest level, besides things like Exp. Share holders and HM slaves

Day 9: What is your favorite region and why?
Hoenn; It sucks to get to the surfing section, but before and after that is just really fun to go through and explore.

Day 10: If you could change one thing about the Pokémon games, what would it be?
All around? The male avatars don't really do it for me, especially with most of the female avatars being much better design-wise ("Ruby" is the best one IMO, and even then he has that hat). For recent games? FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, STOP WITH THE IMPRACTICAL MULTIPLAYER TOUCHSCREENS AND GO BACK TO WHAT HG/SS DID!!!!!

Day 11: What is your favorite mini-game?
Voltorb Flip is surprisingly fun and addictive.

Day 12: Which song/theme is the most nostalgic?
Original anime theme, of course. Though I really like the Sootopolis City music. And Cynthia's piano theme is pretty cool too.

Day 13: How do Colosseum/XD compare to other main-series games?
Never played them.

Day 14: If you were given a pill that erases all memory of Pokémon, would you take it?
No. Why would you post this kind of question to a Pokemon forum? That's just silly.

Day 15: Which past feature do you want to return in XY?
As stated, everything that HG/SS did with the Touch Screen, especially the "Letter buttons? What are those?" functionality.

B/W were probably my favorite "starting a new Gen" games; They're not my favorite games, but then, Emerald and Platinum were both 3rd games that basically just better versions of their "starting a new Gen" games.

I don't really remember that stuff well considering I stopped watching during the Orange Islands, but I remember the one where Ash dies fondly for obvious reasons :P

Day 18: If you could erase one Pokémon from existence, which one would you choose?
Flareon. Just cause it wouldn't be the worst thing that's happened to him lol.

Day 19: What is the most unfortunate thing that has happened to you while playing Pokemon?
I don't recall a specific "most unfortunate" incident, but it seems that in general, the in-game hax gods don't take too kindly to me worshipping the simulator hax gods |:(

I wasn't really able to be online very much until I graduated, so until HG/SS I didn't get spoiled much. I spoiled myself almost completely for every game since, though.

Hopefully pick up my preorder before I have guests over for the weekend.

Riley, with Steven a close second.

Archen, though that's probably cuz I usually Nuzlocke now and I never could get to Archeops before something random killed it.

Joltik. ^w^

I'm somewhat un-enthused with this Gen for some reason, so just Y for now (I usually buy/preorder [both] the games simultaneously)

It's funny, but the thing I miss most about not having a worldwide release is knowing all the version-exclusives beforehand. Usually I'd base my decision on that, but now that we only really know a handful, it's harder for me to commit. That, and the exclusives we actually do know about are things I don't even plan on using, like Charmander. Right now I'm gonna say X, just because "Pokemon X" is such a cool name. It's like the Xtreeeeeeeme Pokemon for a younger, hipper, possibly skateboarding soda-drinking generation. It's very... I dunno... 90's? If 90's wasn't an adjective before, it is now.

But If we start to find out more exclusives before crunch time I might change my mind.

I'm going to get Pokémon Y. I really wish I could get it physically, but I sadly can't afford it. I'm getting it digitally thanks to the money I got from SMT IV and FE.

I preordered Y because at the time Yveltal was better, but then Mewtwo X and Charizard X were revealed and now I want X but can't be bothered changing the preorder lol

I will repeat points that have already been made: this worldwide release makes it daunting for me to pick a version as I would usually base my decision upon version exclusives. As it is, I prefer Aromatisse and Dragalge over their X counterparts. But Xerneas for the boxart legend. I don't care so much about Charmander's mega-evolutions, but if there are other separate ones I would like to know. And most importantly, which Pokémon from older generations will be exclusive to each game.

"Pokemon X" is such a cool name. It's like the Xtreeeeeeeme Pokemon for a younger, hipper, possibly skateboarding soda-drinking generation. It's very... I dunno... 90's? If 90's wasn't an adjective before, it is now.
This makes a good case for Pokémon X's name appeal, although slightly misguided. The 90's argument should pertain to Pokémon Y, as in "generation Y". Considering I am a generation Y young adult still playing Pokémon, Pokémon Y wins for me as far as the name goes.

All in all, it sounds like I am convincing myself to pick Y version… If only I liked Yveltal better!

:D I just saw this topic, so I'll give all the answers at once!

Day 1: I would say the Gengar's battle that appears in the opening of the Blue version. If you want a direct "in game" memory instead, then it is the hard moment when Prof Oak asks you which starter to choose!

Day 2: I've got my first shiny ever in the Silver version. I was walking toward the next city when I saw this lil sparkling Ekans. I remember my hands shaking during the battle, hoping to have no critical hits. When I captured it, I was so happy I told it to all my friends, even those which didn't play the game lol

Day 3: I caught 'em all in the Blue and Yellow version. I took advantage of the Mew bug in the Yellow version to have all 151, then passed it to the Blue and Silver games. In the other games I pretty much gave up (too long task for my tastes lol), but in the current White game I'm working to have all 649 (still a long way though)

Day 4: My first lv 100 was Gengar in the Blue game

Day 5: I have not a favourite Pokémon...to be more precise I have many favs, there are more than 600 monsters afterall.
If I have to pick one though, probably it is Gardevoir. The reason of it is that I always liked its look, and it was my first Pokemon that I built with accurancy, and was able to make my opponent sweat cold when I called it in the fight (note that none of my opponents was ever a Pkmn champ, but it was a great conquer for me to win them lol)

Day 6: There was one rumor about surfing near the SS Anne and using Strength on a truck that was in that area. Under it you would find Mew :)

Day 7: Aspect of XY....I tried already the 3D feature while playing Pokémon on the Gamecube, so it wouldn't be a total news...but I'm totally looking forward the mega evolutions.

Day 8: My quirks...that's a hard question...for sure when I use a ball on a wild Pokémon I often hit the B button to *increase the capture's success ratio*. I know it doesn't work at all, but it boosts my hopes lol!

Day 9: My favourite region is definitely Kanto, only coz it is the first one released

Day 10: If I could change something....I would decrease the extra high ratio to find a shiny....but most of all, I would put all the official Nintendo events available on the Nintendo Network, and not on Gamestop.

Day 11: Honestly I never enjoyed mini games that much...

Day 12: Nostalgic themes...there was one song I loved, which was the song in Verdanturf Town. As opening, the Gold/ Sapphire was the one I prefere!

Day 13: I used to play Pokémon Colosseum for a lil while...I liked the idea of seeing 3d Pokémon, and the alternative story caught some attention...but it was all there in my view.

Day 14: Pokémon was a consistent part of my life...I played it for more than half of my life afterall. I met good people playing it, and always had fun with it, so no I wouldn't take an eraser pill

Day 15: The feature I want back is the possibility to have one of your Pokémon to follow you! Then I was in love with the underground in the Diamond/ Pearl versions, I had good times playing there with friends. Last but not least, I want to plant berries again! It sucks to depend totally on DW for that!

Day 16: Starting BW made me feel again as a total newbie in the game, it is a feeling that is nice to experiment once in a while...it gives you a nice "anticipation" thingy (I don't know if it is the right way to say it)

Day 17: It is since long time I'm not able to watch the movies nor the anime, but I used to like Pokémon 2000, the Power of one.

Day 18: There is more than one Pokémon I would erase...like Bidoof, Grimer and Trubbish...but choosing one and only, I would say Trubbish

Day 19: The most unfortunate thing happened to me while playing for the first time the Blue version. I beaten Articuno and kept going with the game, only to realize later that it was my only occasion to get the glacial bird. I deleted the game and started it again to never make the same error ever again

Day 20: I spoiled myself a lot when the Ruby and Sapphire versions were in the air. I used to search every news on the web and on the magazines. It happened only with that generation though

Day 21: My plans...it's since days and days I'm thinking of it! Immediately after work I will go to the shopping mall, have some pizza for launch, run to Gamestop to buy the game and then run at home to play it all the afternoon!

Day 22: It might be expected, but especially due to all the memes around the web, I ended up to think about Prof Oak and it's inevitable "are you a boy or a girl?" question

Day 23: I think Marill was disappointing to me. It was (and still is) a pokémon that I liked a lot, especially after have seen it in the anime...but when I finally got one I didn't know how to make it decent

Day 24: The cutest Pokémon is Marill, all softy puffy

Day 25: I will buy the X version, I'm a bit tired of bird-like legendaries.

Probably Honchkrow, though I have grown to like it and there are plenty of Pokémon I actually dislike. But Murkrow has been one of my favourites/top favourite for years and I was always hoping it would get an amazing evolution so to see Honchkrow for the first time was a bit disappointing. Just not what I had in mind at all, so if erasing Honchkrow would give Murkrow another chance for evolution, I'd take it.

Ran into a shiny Girafarig in Silver while training my Donphan. I had about three Ultra Balls on me, no status user or anything that could weaken it easily. I knew from previous battles that if Donphan's Fury Attack (don't ask) only hit twice then it should live. Needless to say, it hit three times, I raged, turned the game off and lost some of my levelling progress.

Always knew all of the Pokémon before the international releases, which are all I really care about. I knew most of the story/game details in DP and BW due to following the discovery threads over on SPP, though.

I'm not working that day, so it'll be gaming for as long as I feel like it. I haven't pre-ordered from anywhere and was planning on picking it up at GAME as soon as the shop opened, but realised a couple of days ago that Tesco will be open earlier. I have two within walking distance; one opens at 6am, not sure what time the closer one opens at. Definitely not getting there for 6am regardless, but sometime before 7 to 8 sounds reasonable.

I loved Lance when I was younger before I liked his hair and his cape and I found him the most satisfying character to beat.

I agree with the other people who said Zebstrika. Died to anything and just wasn't fun to use. I replaced mine with Galvantula as soon as I could.

However, I'd say my biggest disappointment to me was Floatzel in Diamond. It worked decently, maybe not hitting as hard as I'd have liked, but decent enough, but I just hated using it. This was before I started switching my team about though, so I kept it through the whole game and eventually got it to L100 but I was grinding my teeth the whole time.

Rufflet! It loses a lot of its cuteness in the Sugimori and Pokécentre/Dream World art, but the sprite is adorable as is some of the TCG illustrations. I find the shiny cuter than the normal version for some reason.

I was certain for ages I'd be getting X becauce Xerneas is just beautiful but Yveltal has grown on me a lot the past month or so. When I ordered the special 3DS I opted for the red version so I'll be getting Y to match it. The cover legendaries are usually the main factor in my decision although after deciding on Y I was looking forward to getting Spritzee without trading until I saw its evolution.

I try to use all new Pokemon when I play the play game of a new generation, but I was really excited when I learned that there won't be any old Pokemon initially in BW.

Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon because my love of the fossil Pokemon. For the movies, I really like Zoroark: Master of Illusions.

Medicham. My god, it's so ugly!

Probably falling asleep while playing and letting the battery die without saving. This has happen to me multiple times. xD Oh and when I bought a new Blue version after my old one being lost for a year, just to find it a couple of days after buying the new one.

I spoiled everything, but this time, the only thing I spoiled myself with the starter evolutions and knowing a few Pokemon that got Mega Evolutions(I don't know what they look like though)

Well at midnight, I'm going to download X and play it for a while. After I wake up, I'm going to Gamestop and get a physical copy of Y, then continue playing X for *insert time here*.

One of my favorite NPCs is Drayden and I one reason why I like him. ;)

Probably Serperior. Compared to the other two starters, it was the least useful.

Joltik is the cutest fuckking thing to ever exist in a Pokemon game.

I will be buying both.

Day 25. Both. I'm giving one to a friend of mine for her birthday. She's gonna pick whichever one she wants, and I'm gonna get the leftover one. She's leaning towards X, With Xerneas, Swirlix, and Mega Mewtwo X. But I don't really like this cuz I wanted X to begin with, but eh. Whatever, her birthday.

Last edited:
Day 25: I preordered y as soon as it was available. I was so excited, first time preordering anything, first time pokemon were going to be more than just pictures. (Not that the moving gen 5 sprites weren't nice in their own way.) I actually went out and got my first job so I could save up and buy x too. This will be my first time having both complimentary games at once. I even got the guide. :heart:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Day 26: What is your opinion of mega evolutions?

Try to talk about the concept generally, and do not reveal any mega formes that were not revealed officially. People hiding from spoilers view this thread!

4 DAYS LEFT!

I think Mega Evolutions are one of the best things to happen in Pokémon. I love the designs and they're a great way to breathe life back into old Pokémon. Now some people have said this could be done with regular evolutions. I disagree because then in most cases, the Pokémon's evolution would be used rather than the Pokémon itself. For example, if Mawile had a regular evolution, who would use Mawile? Instead, Mawile has its stats improved with Mega Evolution, giving people a reason to use Mawile. Overall, Mega Evolution is a great concept, and I can't wait to discover 'em all in X and Y.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Day 26: I'm not too fussed about them either way. Its an easy way for GF/Nintendo to be lazy and not come up with as many new designs every generation. However I do quite enjoy some of them myself, though I may have a different opinion once we know all of them, and how few there actually are. I'd have been fine if they had never existed but maybe, just maybe, if a certain few pokemon get mega evo's, I'll come to love them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)