Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

Day 26: MegaEvos are pretty cool, it's nice to see some older Pokemon getting a bit of a revamp. I'm more interested to see how they will tie into the story of X&Y: whether they'll be a big part of the main plot or just something extra like the Dream World in Gen V.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
On the actual Mega-Evolutions themselves, some I like and some I don't like. However, that's bound to happen with any sort of new Pokemon, so that's not really an issue for me. I am sort of opposed to them because I don't like how much they change the classical elements of Pokemon that we've come to know, but it's not really a huge deal. I still feel like it's too early (it will be too early until we can get the games and play them ourselves) to tell, so who knows what I might think once I can get on my hands on one myself.

But Mega Charizard X in Pokemon Origins was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Day 26: I think it could be really cool if they handle the concept right and don't make anything too OP. It'll be nice to see how they handle creating re vamped designs for established pokemon. But if they don't balance it right then it could go south fast.

Day 26: At first I wasn't too sure, and it seemed silly. Now that we know a bit of the mechanics better, I'm pretty fine with it. I'm really lloking forward to Mega Lucario and Mega Mewtwo Y. I'm also curious to see what else gets them.

Day 26: While I do believe mega evolutions takes some inspiration from like digimon and stuff, I still love it. The theme of a pokes inner power being released fits right along with mega evolving, and it works. Pokemon are stronger then they look. My theory is it's similar to Superman in comic books- he holds back a lot of his power because otherwise, he'd just decimate most of his rogues gallery. Just my view on it.

Although I definitely like the concept of Mega Evolutions, it also makes me scared that no more existing Pokemon will get regular evolutions. Some Pokemon could really use the boost...

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Day 26: Ehh... I've got mixed feelings on the Megas. It seems extremely lazy to me (it seems like ripping off Digimon), and the designs were a mixed bag. On the other hand, it does add another layer of strategy to the competitive game, which is nice, and I look forward to seeing the impact they'll have.
Now give me Farfetch'd, Sceptile, Galvantula, Aggron, and Flygon Megas kthxbai

Last edited:
Day 26: What is your opinion of mega evolutions?

Try to talk about the concept generally, and do not reveal any mega formes that were not revealed officially. People hiding from spoilers view this thread!
I think the concept is actually pretty good depending on how they use it (for example, as has been discussed, giving weaker Pokémon a bit of a boost, and making fan-favorites completely and entirely OP)... I'm hoping for a Mega Regigigas someday!! :o

I'm fine with them. I like how they look, and it's a nice way of revitalizing and adjusting some Pokémon such as Charizard, with Charizard X being an especially nice addition. New ways to enjoy Pokémon are always welcome.

However, it irks me that not every Pokémon gets a mega evolution. They'll gradually release megas in coming generations, but I kind of wanted them to "go big or go home" by giving every Pokémon a mega. A huge undertaking, I know, but it just feels inconsistent/random and little fanservicey the way it is now. It's hard to explain, but it just feels a little messy. It's also weird if this truly means older Pokémon won't get new regular evolutions. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon! Also, I haven't looked at the leaks so maybe this gets answered, but how will they explain that some get megas while others don't, especially how no Kalos Pokémon get megas? I guess it would be enough to say they just haven't discovered all the mega stones yet.

But overall, I'm good with them and am excited to see them in action.

PS: I love Digimon almost as much as Pokémon, so if mega evolving was based on digivolution, that's cool with me.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
I love the concept, for one thing its the leak that pushed me into getting myself spoiled, i just culdnt resist when i heard about a Lucario evolution, or an Absol one. Objectively, its a great way to bring back old favorites, such as Charizard, Absol or Lucario, and gives a lot of pokemon even more of a powerful sense to the fanbase, such as Garchomp or Mewtwo, while boosting previously kinda outclassed pokes, such as Mawile or Ampharos, i have no issues with any of the deisgns except for probably Mega Lucario, it seems kinda evil an overdesigned to me, but i can take that any day as long as one of all time favorites comes back to scene.

Bull of Heaven

However, it irks me that not every Pokémon gets a mega evolution. They'll gradually release megas in coming generations, but I kind of wanted them to "go big or go home" by giving every Pokémon a mega. A huge undertaking, I know, but it just feels inconsistent/random and little fanservicey the way it is now. It's hard to explain, but it just feels a little messy.
I actually agree with this for the same reason that I think mega evolution is a great idea: assuming the power boost is actually significant, it gives people a chance to use their favourites in a way that can actually win battles. Mega evolution looks to me like a step toward a Pokemon world wherein one can use whatever Pokemon one wants without worrying about them being "bad," and I think that's a great thing. If, as I seem to remember hearing, a trainer is limited to one mega evolution per battle, that means that mega evo stands out and even something like Sunflora, if it happened to get a decent power boost, could be impressive in-context. The problem is that if not everything gets a mega form, some people's favourites are getting an advantage of others', and that doesn't feel right.

On a separate note, the comparisons to Digimon honestly seem kind of forced to me; I didn't even think of Digimon until other people brought it up. Whether you like mega evolution or not, it's a feature that makes a lot of sense within the Pokemon universe. You don't need to point to any other franchise to explain it.

If Blaziken gets a mega evo and Sceptile doesn't, I'll be less than pleased. Would they do that?

Try to talk about the concept generally, and do not reveal any mega formes that were not revealed officially. People hiding from spoilers view this thread!

4 DAYS LEFT!
i think they are a pretty cool new feature to add to the competitive aspect of Pokemon, though it still depends on how easy/conditions or catches to activate. Most of them look cool and pitch interesting ideas

Day 26:
I like the concept of Mega Evolutions and how they can really make Pokemon reach their potential. It makes trainers seem relevant to Pokemon. Like a wild Lucario can't really be a Mega and powerful until it has a loving trainer.

I was excited about them at first when mega Ampharos, Mawile and Absol were revealed but most of them like Lucario look terrible.
I'm interested to see how they'll affect the competitive scene and it'll be cool if some of them like Mawile will move up to the higher tiers.

Day 17: What is your favorite Pokémon movie/anime episode?
I didn't see all the Pokemon movies, but from what I saw I really liked Voice of The Forest in terms of setting and story. Anime I watch it randomly, so don't really have a favorite episode, but there was this episode in DP that had a shiny Metagross. This automatically makes me love it since well SHINY METAGROSS.

Day 18: If you could erase one Pokémon from existence, which one would you choose?
Hmm, this is actually a hard question, because it's not necessarily mean my less favorite, but perhaps another line of thinking. I'd say remove pika clones in general, but I actually like Plusle and Minun. ARRRGH this is so hard, know what I don't want any Pokemon removed no matter how useless or stupid it looks to me.

Day 19: What is the most unfortunate thing that has happened to you while playing Pokemon?Game: Pokemon Diamond
Place: Iron Island
Title: Shiny Steelix of Tears
Story: I was tagging along with that Aaron fellow battling and encountering wild Pokemon. During such battles I encountered two Pokemon (obviously since he was with me). One of them was a shiny Steelix. My instinct was to kill Aaron's Pokemon first because he'd probably harm the Steelix. I had Empoleon out. I had completely forgotten that Surf hits all the field. Immediately after clicking Surf I was like f*** I forgot!!! s*** s***! I was like please survive Steelix, PLEASE. It didn't ;_;. I still have regrets and facepalms when remembering this. Shiny Steelix man, GOLDEN STEELIX ;_;

Day 20: How much did you spoil yourself before launch in previous generations?

For Diamond and Pearl there weren't much info to begin with, I know Lucario, Munchlax, random screenshots, so yeah. For Gen V I spoiled myself the whole Pokedex, mainly because I wanna know which I am choosing. I also saw pics and the like. Before Gen IV I didn't spoil myself.

Day 21: What are your plans for release day (October 12)?
Buy the game (whether physically or digitally) as soon as possible. Play it furiously. Maybe post a few things on Smogon regarding research thread(s) if I came across something I can test.

Day 22: Who is the coolest NPC?
Steven Stone. This dude is classy, epic, collects gems while also having steel types in his team? yeah as you can see by my DP I'm a big Steven fan.
Day 23: Which Pokémon was the biggest disappointment when you used it in-game?
Not sure about "biggest" but Azumarill really let me down in Black2. Even though it has Huge Power, it didn't hit as hard I wanted it to be. I don't really remember other disappointment anyway so yeah.

Day 24: What is the cutest Pokémon?
Some "baby" Pokemon like Igglypuff are really cute. Flabebe is a huge contender too, hmm, but I'd say either Cleffa or Igglypuff.
Day 25: Are you going to buy Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, or both?
Most likely both.

I like them. I am always open minded for something new (As long as it's not towards the negative direction). It offers a new thing in battles. I'm really looking forward to trying it out both in-game and competitively.

Gonna start off from the day that I started lurking here, I guess.

Day 19: What is the most unfortunate thing that has happened to you while playing Pokemon?
Found a shiny Weezing. Not that I particularly love Weezing, but it was a shiny! This was while I was grinding my overleveled powerhouse team, so I really didn't have anything on hand to just weaken it. Then after maybe 10 or 11 turns of attempting to catch it while asleep, it wakes up and Explodes..

Day 20: How much did you spoil yourself before launch in previous generations?
Very, very minimally, usually just the amount of officially released spoilage. GenVI was the first gen that I actively started looking for info and leaks.

Day 21: What are your plans for release day (October 12)?
Since I live in the Philippines, we get October 12 almost a day before everyone else does, and about a couple of hours before Japan. That being said, we have a very crappy distributor who is likely only going to have the games at the actual store I preordered it from at about 4 in the afternoon, so I'm likely going to be getting my copy at the same time a lot of you Americans and Europeans get yours. I'll be grinding my Froakie until I drop, I guess!

Day 22: Who is the coolest NPC in the Pokémon games?
I REALLY like N. Fangirl much? Though I also have to say I love Grimsley for being so fabulous.

Day 23: Which Pokémon was the biggest disappointment when you used it in-game?
Eelektross. I was expecting to get a lot out of it considering its ability renders it immune to ground, but it's not as flexible as I'd hoped.

Day 24: What is the cutest Pokémon?
Has to be a toss up between Ralts and Emolga for me.

Day 25: Are you going to buy Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, or both?
Me and my brother are getting both, but are unsure as to which of us gets which.

Day 26: What is your opinion of mega evolutions?Some of them (Absol, Mawile, Amphy) seem awesome and imo a welcome addition to the meta. Some others though.. midly miffed that Mewtwo and Charizard get two mevos just because they're popular Kanto Pokemon, considering they're already pretty strong in their tiers. I was honestly hoping for some more interesting mevos that aren't just buffs to the existing mon, but more of a type change/stat redistribution so that they could be used in different ways.

Nothing to hate, but it would have been much better to expand evolution lines that actually needed it (and in better taste than the IVth gen's evolutions of Kanto Pokémon).

I think they could be good, if done correctly, but they could be bad if done incorrectly. The Mega-evolutions could increase the viability of some pokemon and add for a more complex and skill-oriented metagame, but they could also end up too powerful or too centralizing. It all depends upon how well done they are.

The answer to whether or not they are done correctly is probably leaked out already, but I am trying to avoid leaks to not spoil everything.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I feel that Mega Evolutions serve a dual purpose:

The first is to satisfy both the crowds who want new evolutions of old Pokémon, as well as those wanting old final stage Pokémon as "the final product", "the peak of the mountain" or "the end of the line", or whatever metaphor would fit here. If you want powerful Pokémon for an in-game run, first stage 'mons can be (somewhat cynically) regarded as "transition stages" before the creature you caught reaches its final power stage. Rhydon, Magneton and Magmar, among many others, used to be at the epitome of their evolutionary families. They were the strongest form of the base Pokémon, key players to consider when building a good team. To put it bluntly, you caught a Rhyhorn to get a Rhydon for use in your team. The final evolution was the goal you aimed for when catching and training base forms.
However, Gen. IV came around, and suddenly Rhydon, Magneton and Magmar found themselves halfway down the hill again. Suddenly, they were the transitional stages. A mid-project goal reached on the way towards final evolution and strategic viability. Now, players caught Rhyhorn, Magnemite and Magby with other goals in mind. Rhyperior, Magnezone and Magmortar, those were the names at the end of the line, the powerful final evolutions. Old fan favourites Rhydon, Magneton and Magmar were pushed back to a transitional stage, a pupae between the first and final evolution. Some fans didn't take that very well. However, many other fans wanted their favourite evolution lines to join the fun too. Pokémon such as Dunsparce, Farfetch'd and Chimecho were weak and unviable beyond all repair. Only a new evolutionary stage could make these 'mons relevant again, and add enough power to make them a desirable addition to a team (if only by being temporary stages while waiting for the kickass final evolution).
Mega Evolutions let the end of the line stay where it is, while granting a power boost similar to evolution. For all intents and purposes, Mega Evolution is akin to a regular evolution. There's a design overhaul, stats are given a solid boost, abilities sometimes change... but the name of the relevant Pokémon stays the same. Arcanine (just a fictional example, a MEvo is neither confirmed nor even implied) is still the king of its evolutionary line, the monster you have in mind when you decide to catch a Growlithe (still an example). However, whereas Arcanine is a little too weak to meet the standards of top-tier competitive gaming, Mega Arcanine has all the required power and then some. But Mega Arcanine is just a temporary form of Arcanine, when you travel with it and call it to battle, it is still an Arcanine. There is no evolutionary tier above it to steal its spotlight. Arcanine remains its old, marketable, fan-favourite self, while also gaining enough power to play with the "big boys".

The second purpose is, of course, marketability. Giving old fan favourites even more power, relevancy and appeal, bringing them out from the depths of forgettability they have sunken into over the years. "Remember your good old friend Blaziken? It kicks even more ass now!". Lucario, which was very well received by the consumers, is given more spikes, fur and power and sent back to capture the hearts of even more boys. Charizard, all-time fan favourite, is a joke in competitive battling, they say? Let's shove a ton of new tools onto it, until it is viable and relevant again. Pokémon previously considered "untouchable", being at the end of their evolutionary lines or even Legendary, can still have their power levels raised, to wild applause from the fans who want them to be among the most powerful Pokémon of them all (newcomers to Smogon usually express this as "I want it to be OU"). GameFreak adds bells and whistles, raise the stats and dish out desirable abilities, in a deliberate attempt to make the most popular Pokémon simultaneously be the most powerful ones.

Do I dislike it? Not yet, we haven't seen the full effect of Mega Evolutions on (competitive) gameplay yet. We still haven't seen how the bulk of the fans react to the power boosts. If Mega Pokémon in the long term end up being totally dominating, in competitive play as well as marketing, I'll probably end up disliking it. That would imply a deliberate attempt towards steering the spotlight over to certain Pokémon at the expense of many of the rest, and favouring raw power over the surprisingly intricate strategies the Pokémon games open up for. Instead of making the middle-stage Pokémon irrelevant, it will make all non-Mega Pokémon irrelevant.
On the other hand, if Mega Evolutions are treated with some modesty, being just another strategy available for use, I think I might like it a bit. I hope I can wait to pass judgment until the end of this generation. It will take a lot of time to see the overall impact of Mega Evolutions.

Day 22: N, Hugh, Mirror B, Steven, Cynthia... they're the only NPC that I care, the first 1 because he is the main rival, the leader of the evil group... but still is not a evil guy; Hugh, he is awesome is the kind of dude that you want to get along and have good time, he will never let you down; Mirror B (music starts); Steven in Emerald he is a guide to you and the secret boss; Cynthia, I god how many time she kick me butt... oh memories, the best part is that, well she cleary states that she was like you.

Day 23: Togepi. Mandatory egg, mandatory to complete the pokedex and sux

Day 24: Raichu hands down, is just cute, biggy and electric.

Day 25: X it's have a X , that is actually my only reason to buy X instead of Y.

Day 26: Probably the best way is talk what I don't like about them, even if I support the idea, for example I will prefer Mega evolution being exclusive for Starters, pokes without final evo or prevo and some final stages pokes that actually sucks, but whatever I'm fine with fan favourites. If they add more megas I DEMAND, Mega Raichu XY and Mega Pidgeot XY,

I have very little opinion on them as a whole. I think I'd prefer them (Or at least some of them) as regular evolutions. However, they are also something I'm entirely willing to give a chance. There's a certain few I'd absolutely want to see happening, likely or not.

One thing I was quite surprised by was how most of them don't immediately come as horribly game-breaking (At least from a competitive view-point), despite possibly seeming that way. It's af course far too early to say anything on what actually happens quite yet, but they just don't feel like being impossible to deal with.

Day 26: I'm really looking forward to the mega evolutions. It will spice up the battles even more in my view, plus it'll help getting at the center of the sight some pokemon that would be left aside in my opinion.

Day 26: I think they could have given it a different name, but I think it will be a fun gameplay addition, as well as bring some interesting stuff into play in the Competitive scene.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Day 27: Are you disappointed in or excited for Pokémon Bank?

I know a lot of people are angry about the price tag, but many are also glad that they finally have a space to store their Pokémon. Which side do you fall on?

Also TheMantyke is a walking cliché and wants me to post this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)