Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone feel like this generation will hinder competitive play? With the dual type moves and moves like that ice attack that is super effective against water. I feel like there's just going to be too much. At some point there is too much variation to have any strategies.

I like how the starters resemble generic mage,warrior, and thief from rpgs's though that's very cool.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^In some form, that has been said about every generation since the third. Smogon - and competitive battling in general - is more popular than ever, so I think we'll find a way to keep it sufferable this generation too.

I don't remember anyone complaining about fourth gen aside from stealth rock but that was just another field move. Since black and white, abilities have been banned because they are overpowered and now we get moves with 2x coverage and new SE hits...What's the worst that can happen? (not to mention mega evolutions with BSTs that make UU pokemon totally obsolete). Also battling is becoming more popular because of things like wifi random battles, and pokemon showdown I wouldn't attribute it to the generation.

Also I don't know if im allowed to ask, but how are people getting all these screenshots of new pokemon has the game been released yet? Or are they rumors?

Last edited:
I don't remember anyone complaining about fourth gen aside from stealth rock but that was just another field move. Since black and white, abilities have been banned because they are overpowered and now we get moves with 2x coverage and new SE hits...What's the worst that can happen? (not to mention mega evolutions with BSTs that make UU pokemon totally obsolete). Also battling is becoming more popular because of things like wifi random battles, and pokemon showdown I wouldn't attribute it to the generation.

Also I don't know if im allowed to ask, but how are people getting all these screenshots of new pokemon has the game been released yet? Or are they rumors?
Some stores broke street date, some reviewers broke their NDA.

I have seen people complain about what the new generation did to competitive play literally every single generation, including GSC (down to "BUT MEWTWO'S SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST, IT'S NOT FAIR THAT IT CAN BE BEATEN.") I have sometimes been one of these people. It is possible that they wrecked it, but given their track record and that this time they've explicitly aimed to help it, I don't see the point in taking a negative view so prematurely.

Im not talking about the game in a negative way because I like the game. I am just asking how people think this generation will change competitive play given what we know so far. I know each generation powers up some pokemon and nerfs others but things like dual type moves are different and in general make a bigger impact wouldn't you agree?

Im not talking about the game in a negative way because I like the game. I am just asking how people think this generation will change competitive play given what we know so far. I know each generation powers up some pokemon and nerfs others but things like dual type moves are different and in general make a bigger impact wouldn't you agree?
In theory, sure, they can make a big difference. But they're not going to try to break their own game, just like Wonder Guard has never shown up on anything without a lot of weaknesses and vulnerability to hazards. Just wait and see. And if you want to discuss this in-depth, there's a thread in the OU forum that's better suited to it.

Mega evolutions will probably dramatically change the way we play because they're so strong and you can only have one. It's possible that some things will be ridiculously broken in single battles, because I believe Gamefreak balances for double battles. They DID say they made an effort to balance this gen though so I don't think competitive battling will die. If anything, they seem to be promoting competitive battling.

What I don't understand is, if they want doubles to be the main battle mode, why is the ENTIRE game single mode? Doubles grass and occasional partners aren't enough. Colosseum made me really enjoy double battles. If they want doubles (or any other mode) to be popular, at least half the game has to be not singles.

Mega evolutions will probably dramatically change the way we play because they're so strong and you can only have one. It's possible that some things will be ridiculously broken in single battles, because I believe Gamefreak balances for double battles. They DID say they made an effort to balance this gen though so I don't think competitive battling will die. If anything, they seem to be promoting competitive battling.

What I don't understand is, if they want doubles to be the main battle mode, why is the ENTIRE game single mode? Doubles grass and occasional partners aren't enough. Colosseum made me really enjoy double battles. If they want doubles (or any other mode) to be popular, at least half the game has to be not singles.
That's something that i can agree on, having more double (and triple) battles would be a major plus for me. I want my Pokemon to fight side by side like my own little party!

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You have to understand that if they did singles, VGC events would take a lot longer and a lot of kids aren't going to be able to stay past midnight to play pokemon

You have to understand that if they did singles, VGC events would take a lot longer and a lot of kids aren't going to be able to stay past midnight to play pokemon
I know, I'm not complaining. I like VGC's format in general, except the lack of sleep clause. I am a bit worried about the effect some things could have on singles, but Smogon can always just ban them. I just think it's weird that the official tournament style that Gamefreak balances for isn't the main style of the game OR the most popular playstyle.

Sometimes the not-kids can't either *cought cought UK VGC's*

I would also add that doubles as a format manages to be a bit... i won't so less centralized... the gap is lessened?
Basically, the ability to double target makes the format a bit more friendly in my eyes, but for the exact same reasons it makes a great competitive format, it'd make single play quite fustrating, due to a large part of the game being "using your knowledge of types to get through as many trainers as you can without going back to the poke center"
Related to why they ask you if you want to switch pokemon, you're supposed to have the advantage mechanically, because the game has advantage in numbers.
So basically, doubles doesnt work as well for ingame as it does for tournaments because lots of little reasons.

Reactions: PME
Basically, the ability to double target makes the format a bit more friendly in my eyes, but for the exact same reasons it makes a great competitive format, it'd make single play quite fustrating, due to a large part of the game being "using your knowledge of types to get through as many trainers as you can without going back to the poke center"
Related to why they ask you if you want to switch pokemon, you're supposed to have the advantage mechanically, because the game has advantage in numbers.
So basically, doubles doesnt work as well for ingame as it does for tournaments because lots of little reasons.
You're right, it would be annoying if all wild Pokemon encounters were doubles. I think Colosseum worked because all your fights are trainers and there's the strategy of capturing one of the foe's Pokemon. I still think that it could work in the main games if trainer battles were mostly doubles or other modes. All gyms being doubles might actually make gyms challenging, since you can't as easily roll through them with a single high-leveled mon.

Edit: Realized this is really off-topic now, sorry about that! To make this somewhat related to XY... I heard that sky battles are really sparse. :|

Edit: Realized this is really off-topic now, sorry about that! To make this somewhat related to XY... I heard that sky battles are really sparse. :|
Well, it makes sense. Not everyone is going to have something to participate in those, after all. It's perfectly acceptable to not have a flying type that can enter...
Not like the doubles/triples, as you're expected to not be raising just one pokemon, y'know?

So only 1 Mega per team, competitively? That's interesting. (Thank god though).

Honestly, the entire meta will change dramatically. There will be so much diversity, and there will be a lot of success with different combinations. It's going to be wonderful.

Reactions: PME
Seeing as 3DS games are patchable, do you think Nintendo will ever try balance fixing? Not to the extent of trying to make every Pokemon viable, but nerfing blatantly overpowered pokemon or combos.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^They stated already in an interview that they won't.

Besides, it's not like we haven't had overpowered things before. That has usually been solved by banning. Moody Smeargle is a prime example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)