Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

Day 27:
Neutral. To me Gen 6 will be my "reset" Gen so anything I've had in previous gens can stay there. I hated BW and BW2 so any Mons below those games don't deserve the poor fate of being from their. Plus means I don't have to pay $5 a year. And I'm getting both games so I should be about to get ~500 in-game anyway

Day 27: OMG 5 DOLLARZ A YEAR!! Thats less then my netflix costs a month. Having all my Pokemon stored on a cloud system is gonna be a blast for me, since I can AR any pokes I want in BW2 (Level 1, favorable nature) and transfer to X or Y. Also, assume it's up for 10 years, that's only 50 bucks. So yes, I am pumped for it.

Pokémon Bank is awesome. Before it was announced, I was worried that I couldn't bring my old Pokémon with me. Also, $5 a year is a very good price to pay for having to transfer my Pokémon. After all, it makes sense to add a fee for server maintenance and what not. My only complain is that we can't have it on the same day X and Y comes out, and that we'll have to wait until December 27.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Day 22: Who is the coolest NPC in the Pokémon games?
Steven stone is a BA
Day 23: Which Pokémon was the biggest disappointment when you used it in-game?
I really, really, really wanted beheeyem to be the best but its badddd :(
Day 24: What is the cutest Pokémon?
I love Joltik and Galvantula, though marill's cry from SSBM really makes me love it
Day 25: Are you going to buy Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, or both?
Just X
Day 26: What is your opinion of mega evolutions?
It's annoying to see that megas were the focus of this gen rather than something to add on, but it will be fun to see how they shake up the game
Day 27: Are you disappointed in or excited for Pokémon Bank?
Excited! Pokemon box was a great way to transfer stuff back in the day; I'm glad this new system is back.

Day 27: 4.99 a year to store Pokemon on a cloud server? Sure. I probably won't need it though, since I should be able to transfer to the box during the trial and then get it all downloaded onto my X shortly after. Unless they severely cut down the number of Pokemon you're able to store in-game or something.

Day 27: I like the price tag of $5/yr, and I was worried at first when I heard it was gonna be paid. The concept seems neat, but I'm a bit sad that the items fall off the pokemon going into it. I kind of wanted to transfer all my Life Orbs and things.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Day 26: I had my first real 'genwunner' moment when mega evos were first announced. I refused to believe it was real. The designs didn't bother me so much, but the whole 'battle-only transformation that's activated by a trainer pressing a button on his watch' just didn't feel pokemony to me. I tried thinking of it as similar to forme changes because I've always liked them, but I'm still getting used to it. I also don't really like that it can be activated as soon as a pokemon is sent out. It was built up as finding a pokemon's inner power or whatever, so to me I imagined they would only be able to do it in tough circumstances, like at low health, similar to how Torrent/Blaze/Overgrow etc work, or after a certain amount of turns. But whatever, Gamefreak haven't really been able to screw up anything too bad yet so I'm sure it will all work out

Day 27: Pokemon Bank is a sweet idea! I'm mostly just really glad they were actually able to figure out a system to transfer from gen V - VI. That's probably all I'll use it for coz I don't have/plan to have a million pokemon on storage, but it will be helpful for dumping all the ones I don't need when I complete the dex so I can just transfer them to gen VII from there hopefully. And seriously, who really has a problem with $5 a year?

Excited, and although I'm not sure I'll sign up right away, I have no problem paying $5 for it. It sounds really convenient, but I do have nightmares of all my Pokémon somehow being deleted.

I'm really excited about the fact that you can use it to transfer mons from BW/BW2 to XY, but I doubt I'll use it to store anything because I'm worried it'll get hacked. We'll see how things turn out though. And really, $5 a year is nothing.

Day 27: I'm pretty excited. I've still got tons of pokemon in my boxes in a few older games, so it'll be great to be able to trade them up (I get attached to the buggers) And for five bucks a year? Yeah, I'll pay for that. It could have been a lot worse.

I'm really interest to see where this whole mechanic goes. I guess my first reaction was that these were going to be like hero units from WarCraft III: stronger-than-your-average-mons that you would basically build a team around. That's cool and all, but I'm wondering how far the competitive community is going to take it. Will Megas be a "given" on every team, or is it going to be a situational thing. I know giving up hold items for some 'mons is gonna be a big factor, but I kinda like the idea of squads having a definite leader.

Also, I just love it when older pokes get attention, regardless if it's an evo, a good new ability, or a mega form. I guess it remains to be seen if stuff like Mawile or Absol will ever get real evos in the future, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried. They're the trail-blazers in this whole mad experiment, after all, and I hope for their (and their fans' sake) that it all works out and they do indeed become viable.

But even if it doesn't, they sure look cool.

I'm against the notion of paying for anything extra when it comes to Pokemon, but not necessarily the whole idea of cloud saves. It's not so much the price, but just the principle of it. Naive as it might sound, it's a little too... "corporate" for Pokemon. I know Masuda probably swims in a money bin like Scrooge McDuck, but there's an underlying wholesomeness to the whole franchise that I feel like goes beyond making a buck. Totally unintentional rhyme.

Am I disillusioned? Buddy, you don't know the half of it. But my unique world-view includes a Pokemon that doesn't stiff you unless it absolutely has to, so I'll cut them some slack. In the end, I'll probably only use it once just to transfer everything over that I care about to their new home.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Day 27: I hate the idea of having to pay to transfer my Pokemon over from previous games. It's not the price itself (I'm almost perpetually broke, but even I can afford $5 per year); it's the principle of the thing. Why suddenly make us pay for a process that was free before? It's not like cloud storage is some awesome thing we've got to have - sure, transferring Pokemon over took more time before, but I don't really see that as an issue.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Eh, its whatever to me to say the least. I hate the month fee, so i wont be using it, which sucks ass because welp, lets just say im not super excited to breed my all my pokes and EV train them again :[ On the other hand, if im right, there will be a test period until January 31st? then ill be spaming that shit all the way

Holy
Shit
3 days
Someone gimme an air bag ASAP, im hyperventilating.

Day 27: Are you disappointed in or excited for Pokémon Bank? I know a lot of people are angry about the price tag, but many are also glad that they finally have a space to store their Pokémon. Which side do you fall on?

I like this idea. You get a lot of space to store your pokemon, and you do not need a game cartidge or save file to do so. There may be a five dollar price tag per year you use the service, but it provides a method of bypassing the barrier between 3DS and DS systems, and the annual fee makes sure that it will be usable until beyond when GEN VI loses popularity.

Furthermore the fee is $5 a year. That is barely anything. If you pay a dime per week, you will end up paying more than 5 dollars a year (about $5.21 a year). Furthermore, there is a free trial in which people who won't want to pay for it can transfer all their old pokemon for free and then not use it again.

I know a lot of people are angry about the price tag, but many are also glad that they finally have a space to store their Pokémon. Which side do you fall on?

Also TheMantyke is a walking cliché and wants me to post this.
great idea to store pokemon + transfer. the price isn't really that much, but i think it does mean the end for hacked pokemon. everyone else is far more informed than i am :(

I know a lot of people are angry about the price tag, but many are also glad that they finally have a space to store their Pokémon. Which side do you fall on?

Also TheMantyke is a walking cliché and wants me to post this.
I don't mind the $5 price for the bank. I'll probably use it during the free trial to get all of my stuff over and never use it afterwards.

This is another one I don't really have much feelings for, really. I'm going to get it, no doubt (Albeit largely to move some stuff from older games), and 5 dollars a year is really inconsequential amount for myself.
I did argue against the concept of 5 dollars being nothing elsewhere though, and that sort of razed my 'stash, but that goes more for the Pokemon community than the Bank itself.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Day 27: I don't really mind. I mean its 5 bucks a year (c'mon people). If you have a problem with the principle of paying for it or w/e, get the free trial, transfer all your pokemon across within the free month, and be done with it. Not so thrilled about having to wait over 2 months before I can use my old pokemon though.

Well when I first saw them, I think I said something like "...the fuck!?", but after the initial shock, I was all for them. I'm glad Absol got one because he got nothing in Gen. 5.
I was excited for it since it was announced. It's a smart and awesome ideal, and in my opinion, in a couple of years we will be thanking GF for creating it. I think complaining about the price, even if it's on the principle of it is dumb, but I won't get into that.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Wow a few questions to catch up now I have some free time :o

Day 23: Which Pokémon was the biggest disappointment when you used it in-game?
Which pokemon was the biggest disapointment? I am honestly not sure... Probably Starmie. People had raved to me about how strong it was and its OU so I thought it would be a solid choice... When push came to shove it got really hammered by pretty much everything in game, it was a real shock how poor I felt it performed.
Day 24: What is the cutest Pokémon?
PICK ONE.
I'm not really one to go for Cuteness as such, but I really like the more quirky Pokemon. I think Vanillite is super adorable.

Day 25: Are you going to buy Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, or both?
If you are only buying one version, what made you pick it?
Both :D Only because I can and thats what I do... Both lets me store Pokemon on one game and then play through the other. This lets me play the same game over and over without having to worry about losing a whole bunch of awesome and cool Pokemon.
I'm not really sure on this one either at the moment. I think I'll have to wait till the games come to form a better opinion. So far, they seem like the type of "Last Ditch Effort" thing that you always see in the anime from certain trainers in a vain hope to pull victory from the looming jaws of defeat. I doubt I will actively use them very often ingame, whats the point?
Super excited. Really, the cost is negligible. $5 (£3ish) for a whole year? Thats basically one day of Lunch I don't get from the cafeteria... It really is nothing for a lot of functionality which will be used by a lot of people. I used Ranch extensively, and transferring everything worth saving from there to Pokemon Bank is going to be a right pain in the ass, but it might be worth it in the end!

Hnnnnng Not long now... I can survive :o

I like the idea of it because it'll mean that I won't need to buy another 3DS to be able to transfer my Pokémon. I'm also interested to see if the hack check will be useful, perhaps it'll even be better than Pokecheck's. I was annoyed at first but considering that the annual price seems to be quite low I don't see why people are still complaining about this.

I'm both excited and disappointed. Even thought the price is ridiculous (I wish many other things unrelated to pkmn were so cheap), I don't feel it right for the pokegamers to pay an extra to transfer their beasts in the new game. No matter that there would be a free testing period, the ones that will come too late will have still to pay for simple transfers.

BUT, at the same time having the pokemon going in the net should also mean to have less hacked monsters going around, so less possibility to find yourself trading your hard-obtained, hard-trained legit friend for a hacked one...at least I hope so!

I will use the service for sure, even thought I will probably use it for only for "cheap" pokemon. To put there the important ones would make me feel uneasy...plus if I find myself, for a reason or another, in the need of a certain pokemon, and I'm in a spot with no access points (and where I live it is a miracle to find wifi access points) I wouldn't be able to get my monster back.

Last but not least, I only hope that with the Pokemon Bank involved, Nintendo will not cut off many of the boxes available in the game. That would be unfair.

Lil edit: it would be different if Nintendo would put it as a sort of "update"...like you have a real basic service to do it in game for free, and then you have the poke bank to use by your choice. A sort of "if you want to do transfers, you must pay" in my view is lame.
:) Points of view

Last edited:
I'm holding off until I play the game until I make my mind up. My initial thought was that is was stupid and out of the currently revealed designs, I only like Absol and Ampharos. I am interested to see what other evolutions there are available and as I said, I'll see how it is when I'm actually using them.

Disappointed that you have to pay to transfer. I plan on getting everything I currently own transferred during the trial period but it annoys me that if I replay an older game after the trial is up then I'll have to pay to move them from game to game. I don't care how cheap it is.

I've only got about five boxes of shinies/sentimental Pokémon from the last ten years so the online storage doesn't matter unless they've drastically cut how many we can store ingame. if I end up paying for the transfer system then I might store some of them online so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

Day 27: Pokemon Bank lets you transfer an entire PC box at once, which is just so damn convenient. I wouldn't call it "exciting" as it's essentially just a utility app but I am glad it's on its way.

[sarcasm]Because those mini games to transfer your old pokes were always "EASY, FUN AND FREE".[/sarcasm]

Day 27:
Excellent option and is very impossible to be free by any means, if you thing otherwise, you live in a bubble.

Yes before was "free" (buy 2 versions of the game, another console and in case of GBA buy a wiirless adapter/Link cable, you know, "FREE") but before was obnoxius, absurd and stupid, beyond retarded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)