Other Looking Ahead to Gen VI Mark II (SEE POSTS #818 & #858)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we got any confirmation if the 120 physical moves (Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Close Combat, etc) also got nerfed to 110?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is it confirmed that MegaPinsir gets Megahorn ? If not, then I'm afraid he doesn't have Megahorn, only X-Scissor. Although his ability is really cool, having good STAB option on moves like Double-Edge, Return, Trash, QUICK ATTACK is awesome. I hope that he's much faster than before.

MegaHoundoom with Solar Power sounds awesome as well. Sunny Day set should rock.

You may always run Sunny Day on your own, as with weather nerf it's not as reliable to rely on someone else to set it up (but I guess you may always use Heat Rock support mons). And I think Solar Power alone is enough to make it better than normal Houndoom. Although yeah, with many ghosts having Focus Blast or something different with Fighting makes it a bit shaky at checking ghosts.
The thing with Sunny Day Houndoom is that it's basically a setup sweeper. Why use Sunny Day Houndoom to get a 1.5x boost to your attacks when you can just use something with Nasty Plot, Quiver Dance, or Calm Mind? Not to mention that Houndoom is frail + SR weak + loses life when Solar Power is activated. And it's not even able to hold Heat Rock to fit in manual sunny day teams. High Speed + Sucker Punch + Pursuit + strong Fire moves will be its niche in OU, but that seems as a very small use.

Well, it took 2 gens for it to get a good fire move... And it won't change it much, it might get the guts set however...
flareon needs no help in dying quickly, i don't know why everyone's obsessed with flare blitz
2 gens!?

Flareon hasn't has been lacking moves since RBY, heck up until recently, RBY was at least an OK generation for it because of no-recharge Hyperbeam if you KOed. The "flareon has no moves" meme is ancient.

hmm... I can confirm a little bit about Avaluggs stats by catching many of them (cought pre-evo then evolved by rare candy).

base stats:
hp 95
atk 115-120
def 182-185

hp are probably 100% correct, compared it to base 90s and base 95s (and 100, but it was quite lower than that). I had one with "often dozes off" with the same max hp as a base 95. And I had one with the least hp a base 95 one can have.
defense is higher than Aggrons. had one with 2 points more than Aggrons max (neutral natures) at level 41, so it's likely that 182 isn't even possible (don't have a calculator for base stats... only IV calcs, so I can only compare to others), and it's most likely 185.
it also has a bit better attack than assumed. Can't say if it will be higher than 115, but I know it's not less.

I'll leave it at that now since it's quite a hassle to do this, and it would be much easier having the guy that says which stats are 31.

The thing with Sunny Day Houndoom is that it's basically a setup sweeper. Why use Sunny Day Houndoom to get a 1.5x boost to your attacks when you can just use something with Nasty Plot, Quiver Dance, or Calm Mind? Not to mention that Houndoom is frail + SR weak + loses life when Solar Power is activated. And it's not even able to hold Heat Rock to fit in manual sunny day teams. High Speed + Sucker Punch + Pursuit + strong Fire moves will be its niche in OU, but that seems as a very small use.
The deal with Houndoom is that it looks amazing, just like Charizard people really want it to succed, but as you said there is little reason to use MegaHoundoom even on our current 5th gen metagame, on a meta where you can just go for ridiculous things like MLucario it has even less appeal.

Though depending on the speed boost it receives it may be the fastest Nasty Plot user, and under sun the most powerful, don't know if it is enough of a niche though.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned whimsicott yet. Considering it's typing has been retconned to grass/fairy, I'm afraid of what this thing might have in store. In the beginning of gen V it had a pretty strong showing, but eventually fell off. Considering the fairy type being added to it, it may just receive baby doll eye's and more. With prankster, and the ability to avoid spore do to it's grass typing, might be a bit more useful this gen.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm surprised no one has mentioned whimsicott yet. Considering it's typing has been retconned to grass/fairy, I'm afraid of what this thing might have in store. In the beginning of gen V it had a pretty strong showing, but eventually fell off. Considering the fairy type being added to it, it may just receive baby doll eye's and more. With prankster, and the ability to avoid spore do to it's grass typing, might be a bit more useful this gen.
This is very true. Grass / Fairy is actually a very good and synergistic typing, with resistances to Water, Ground, Electric, Grass, Fighting, Dark and an immunity to Dragon moves, while having Steel, Poison, Fire, Ice, and Flying as its weaknesses, all of which are covered by Heatran (creating the new CeleTran core, with only Rock and Ghost moves not being resisted between those two). So Whimsicott will now be a good switch-in to Breloom, every single Dragon-type, and most Fighting-types, making it even easier to Encore something and regain momentum. It will also have a nice STAB to OHKO Breloom and some other frail Pokemon weak to Fairy, giving it a form of offense that it missed before, assuming it gets either the 80 or 95 Fairy special moves.

It has a 4 times weakness to poison in addition it has 4 other weaknesses...
Yea, and 6 resistances with a dragon immunity as well as blocking the sleep status. It could also gain access to the various fairy type moves that have been listed, and more.

Edit: pretty much what alex said. Thanks Alex.

This is very true. Grass / Fairy is actually a very good and synergistic typing, with resistances to Water, Ground, Electric, Grass, Fighting, Dark and an immunity to Dragon moves, while having Steel, Poison, Fire, Ice, and Flying as its weaknesses, all of which are covered by Heatran (creating the new CeleTran core, with only Rock and Ghost moves not being resisted between those two). So Whimsicott will now be a good switch-in to Breloom, every single Dragon-type, and most Fighting-types, making it even easier to Encore something and regain momentum. It will also have a nice STAB to OHKO Breloom and some other frail Pokemon weak to Fairy, giving it a form of offense that it missed before, assuming it gets either the 80 or 95 Fairy special moves.
I think its safe to say whimsy will learn either dazzling gleam or moon blast but tbh i don't think breloom is going to be worth worrying about this gen now that fairy resist fighting, sleep mechanics aren't crazy anymore and grass types absorb spore, unless it gets a mega, breloom really ain't shit.

Mega Pinsir gets an ability that turns all Normal type moves to Flying type. Also he is Bug/Flying now. Flying type Return off that massive attack? :O

Mega Pinsir gets an ability that turns all Normal type moves to Flying type. Also he is Bug/Flying now. Flying type Return off that massive attack? :O
Flying STAB probably replaced Dragon as the best neutral coverage (and has much better SE coverage) in OU, so +2 Flying Return is a hell of a sweeping toll, but it will really depends on how much speed Pinsir gets as he can't afford to be hit with his really crappy type which leaves him weak to Ice,4x Rock, Electric and Fire meaning almost everything carries something to kill him.

By the way I see little reason for it to even run a bug move, most of the Psychic types are frail anyway, I guess it helps him to beat Ttar, but he has Fighting coverage (even if it is the awful Supepower) to kill him anyway, Earthquake for grounded Electric types and Quick Atack Flying seems like better options than a bug move.

Flying STAB probably replaced Dragon as the best neutral coverage (and has much better SE coverage) in OU, so +2 Flying Return is a hell of a sweeping toll, but it will really depends on how much speed Pinsir gets as he can't afford to be hit with his really crappy type which leaves him weak to Ice,4x Rock, Electric and Fire meaning almost everything carries something to kill him.

By the way I see little reason for it to even run a bug move, most of the Psychic types are frail anyway, I guess it helps him to beat Ttar, but he has Fighting coverage (even if it is the awful Supepower) to kill him anyway, Earthquake for grounded Electric types and Quick Atack Flying seems like better options than a bug move.
Ghost is the new dragon in terms of coverage, but flying comes a close second!

I didn't like that GameFreak took the initiative to improve ghosts and indirectly buff dark types (even though its poor against fairy) but continued ignoring ice/rock/grass/bug. A Pokemon has a rock/ice dual typing which perfect for an offensive distribution ... then gets defensive stats. Grass types even got nerfed in my opinion.

There was list with all supposed mega evolutions and it has been spot on so far except it didn't have Alakazam on it.

There are few megas not been found yet that are on the list. They are Jynx, Scizor, Latias and Latios.

I wonder if there's going to be some megas we don't know yet or are those 4 pokemons the only ones left to be found.

EDIT. No Manectric on the list either so could think we can expect few surprises...

Last edited:
Ghost is the new dragon in terms of coverage, but flying comes a close second!

I didn't like that GameFreak took the initiative to improve ghosts and indirectly buff dark types (even though its poor against fairy) but continued ignoring ice/rock/grass/bug. A Pokemon has a rock/ice dual typing which perfect for an offensive distribution ... then gets defensive stats. Grass types even got nerfed in my opinion.
I wouldn't say Ice got the short end of the stick, and the same can even apply to Grass types...Ice got Freeze Dry, which improves coverage even more, and Grass got the anti-powder abilities. I'd say the type that got hit the worst this generation is Bug - Fire gained a new resist, and Steel became even more prominent.

a new type was introduced that's specifically immune to dragons and resists fighting (and hits dragons / fighting types SE), so bug can stfu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)