Other Looking Ahead to Gen VI Mark II (SEE POSTS #818 & #858)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Most of the Megas do look just ridiculously overpowered. But you only get 1 per team. Meanwhile every consistent, high BP move got nerfed, we got new protects, and a few new crazily defensive mons. I'll agree that the MEvos are a push in the offensive direction, but its going to be a limited push because we're limited to one per team. The other 5/6ths of your team is still the same old same old, using weaker, less consistent attacks and dealing with new defenses.
I'd just like to make one correction: every consistent high BP special move got nerfed. It seems like the physical powerhouse attacks are unchanged.

I have Gyarados, Mawile, Alakazam, Pinsir, Manetric, Banette, Medicham and Garchomp stones.
I don't know which ones are uknown stat-wise but if you want me to, I can try to get the pokemon and Mega-evolve them.
All of them are unknown stat-wise except for Medicham so you're good to go.

I have Gyarados, Mawile, Alakazam, Pinsir, Manetric, Banette, Medicham and Garchomp stones.
I don't know which ones are uknown stat-wise but if you want me to, I can try to get the pokemon and Mega-evolve them.
Everyone but Medicham is unknown.
Edit: I'm too slow!

Just curious, but has any checked to see if old pokemon have the same base stats as before? I know it sounds silly, but considering a lot of moves had had their BP changed, I don't think it would be crazy to consider BSs being moved around as well

Just curious, but has any checked to see if old pokemon have the same base stats as before? I know it sounds silly, but considering a lot of moves had had their BP changed, I don't think it would be crazy to consider BSs being moved around as well
That would be cool. Gamefreak would have been assuredly looking into the community's ideas if that happened

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, I might have underestimated the impact of MEvos a bit alex and focused a bit more on bulky offense/semi-stall getting more benefits, but let's have another look at what we have so far.

Well, count fairy's for one. There goes you DragSpam teams. Then you've got Aegishield, MegAggron, Togekiss, Goodra, Poison/Dragon thingy, and some pokemon that I'm sure I'm forgetting about, then you also got pranksters such Klefki and Fairy/Grass Whimscott along others. Let's not forget MegAggron has filter and pure steel as an ability, meaning at best that you can hope for is hitting it for x1.5 damage. Then we have new monstrosities such as Eviolite Doublade. That thing was already bulky without the item. Critics, the bane of stall, are now doing x1.5.

Stall didn't gain much, but with offense getting nerfed by a lot and a couple of new pokemon, MEvos and a type that's sole existence is to nerf offensive ones, I'm not seeing how they can complain.

Edit: Again, I cannot emphasize how hard it is to spin SR in this gen, Ghosts got buffed, even something as Aegishield with no attack investment can OHKO Starmie and Forretress is useless. Hazard spinning just got way harder, that's a good thing for stall as well against HO teams.
Klefki needs recovery and status moves or Taunt to be of use on defensive teams, as otherwise it has really poor stats even though it typing is awesome. And we all know that GF does not hand out recovery easily. Also, MegaAggron will most likely be a tank not a wall. A tank is good for balanced teams not stall teams. Without recovery and lefties, it won't fit well on stall teams probably. Same with Aegishield. It's a tank or bulky sweeper, unless he gets recovery of 'course. And Whimsicott is just not a wall. It may have gotten a big boost, but that will just help it do its job better. And its job was to reclaim momentum, not to wall things. And the Dragon / Poison thing has poor defensive stats for OU even though its type is great, and will need some really good moves including recovery to be viable on defensive team. So we haven't really gotten more than 2-3 good defensive Pokemon. We have mostly gotten good tanks and sweepers.

And you can't say that offense got nerfed. It may have lost some good offensive Pokemon (Dragon-types), but there are many new ones introduced, including MEvos. And why are you assuming that being hard to spin will benefit only stall teams? Spike stacking HO will love Aegishield for its ability to spinblock, check a ton of Pokemon, provide priority, and sweep if given the chance.

Seems awfully dramatic considering the game isn't even officially out, let alone even know half the move changes are and available abilities. You're also ignoring that we've seen moves such as custom protects like King's Shield and Chesnaught's one, more Prankster users the generally defensively orientated Fairy type and rampant re-typing along with weather's nerf. I mean for all the hype of Mega Gengar, if his Mega evo priority comes after switching then it'll give a one turn telegraph for his Shadow Tag.

Come back in a couple months then ranting about the imminent doom of the game might be taken a little more seriously.
This is exactly why i made this disclaimer:
I know we are missing a lot of factors right now, but with the things we know stall definitely seems to have gotten a hit.
Nothing is sure right now, i am just giving my take on the meta with the info we have so far...

Last edited:
Yes, it is.

There seems to be no point in using Mega Scizor as it is outclassed by Life orb Scizor.

It does get 140 defense and 100 sp.d however...
Well, leave defensive sets (it's hard to find many steels with reliable recovery and Scizor is one of those) and bulky swords dance to MegaScizor while go with offensive and Choice Band/Scarf with normal Scizor obviously. Scizor will love this increased bulk for Ubers for sure (although it's a real shame that he lost those resistances to Ghost and Dark x_X), I kind of missed him there in Gen 5, as in Gen 4 he was pretty popular Pokemon in Ubers. Anyway they both provide different niche from what I see so far.

I am STILL not sold on Avalugg. Even with the calcs presented on what SE moves it can tank, what makes it a better spinner than, say, Donphan? Both their base HP stats seem comparable from what we know (Donphan's base 90 vs. Avalugg's likely 95). Donphan may only have 120 base Defense, but it's also not weak to Fighting, Fire(irrelevant, but still) or Steel and resists Rock. Outside of possibly being able to OHKO Dragons with STAB, I just can't see it's use. And that's assuming it gets Ice Shard.

Also GCSChris, I'm surprised no one seemed to notice, but why are we using the Roman numeral for 4 on the OP of a competitive discussion for gen 6? :)

Yes, it is.

There seems to be no point in using Mega Scizor as it is outclassed by Life orb Scizor.

It does get 140 defense and 100 sp.d however...
Could imagine a bulky SD set with it, but yeah, I'd much rather use CB and Life Orb just for their sheer utility and the opportunity cost.

Speaking of megas, this doesn't appear to be posted yet so:
Mega Mawile's stats are 50/105/125/55/95/50. Close to what I've expected. Would've like more defences, but still, it beats Mega Medicham for highest attack in the game. Might be good as an offensive tank.

EDIT: Also, I love Whimsicott's new potential as a defensive Grass. Priority Encore on dragons followed by Stun Spore... delicious.

Last edited:
Wow. I couldn't be happier with MegaMawile's stats considering I expected Nintendo to troll us by giving it a sizable amount of special attack or speed. That attack though! On a defensive mon, that's just incredible.

Also already over Mega Scizor. They seriously made it exactly the same even with Technician? Scizor is already so boring. Wish they would've done something cool.

Wow. I couldn't be happier with MegaMawile's stats considering I expected Nintendo to troll us by giving it a sizable amount of special attack or speed.
I actually half-expected much of the same. It's actually pleasantly surprising. 50/125/95 defences will be surprisingly good with such a great typing. Now all it needs is the Play Rough move for Fairy-STAB confirmed and we're good to go. (Apparently it learns it at around level 60, according to leaks)

Though now that Mega Aggron is a thing, it has stiff competition for the prized Mega Slot.

Last edited:
One thing for Mawile though, most dragons will carry a fire type move to incinerate it. Mega Mawile and Rotom-Wash could work pretty beautifully together! :)

Do we have Kangaskhan's Mega stats yet? I know it's Parental Bond second attack hits half as hard but does it retain effects???

One thing for Mawile though, most dragons will carry a fire type move to incinerate it. Mega Mawile and Rotom-Wash could work pretty beautifully together! :)

Do we have Kangaskhan's Mega stats yet? I know it's Parental Bond second attack hits half as hard but does it retain effects???
Mawile might work better as a fairy check rather than a dragon check. It could do a decent job at checking ghosts with Sucker Punch too. It would pair beautifully with Salamence - both covering each other's weaknesses, and Mawile paving away opponent fairy-types for a late-game Salamence sweep.

Also, seeing as its attack is ridiculous enough as it is, maybe Careful or Impish might be more common natures to make it extra tankish. (And so random Fire Blast doesn't OHKO it)

For Mega Kangaskhan (from the data thread, again), its stats are: 105/125/100/60/100/100 = 590 BST.

Last edited:
Do you guys think Knock Off could be more viable this gen? I wonder if you use it on a mega it will go back to normal. Or predict a switch and knock off a mega stone before they get a chance to evolve.

50 HP.....
Rotom-W's hp? I must say, Mawile wears it a lot better.

This gen seems to be the gen of tanks. I have the feeling we'll see a rise in variety among bulky pivots on offense teams. Gourgeist, Doublade, Sylveon, and Goodra are some candidates to try out when the showdown is updated, and this is without talking about megas. And, don't forget that sleep no longer resets on the switch, which means Rest is (somewhat) viable again.

Mawile might work better as a fairy check rather than a dragon check. It could do a decent job at checking ghosts with Sucker Punch too. It would pair beautifully with Salamence - both covering each other's weaknesses, and Mawile paving away opponent fairy-types for a late-game Salamence sweep.

Also, seeing as its attack is ridiculous enough as it is, maybe Careful or Impish might be more common natures to make it extra tankish. (And so random Fire Blast doesn't OHKO it)

For Mega Kangaskhan (from the data thread, again), its stats are: 105/125/100/60/100/100 = 590 BST.
Hmm. Those are really good. If that extra 20 put in Spec. Atk was in Speed though he'd be perfect. As it stands, Gamefreak put him in sort of an awkward position. The speed is so high it feels like a waste to not use it but it's not quite high enough to justify abandoning Kangaskhan's formidable new bulk. Ugh. Why did they have to give it Spec. Atk???!?!?!?! :/

I'm sure it'll only be UU anyway though, and it probably would've been even with 120 Speed. So overall, I like it! Just wanna know if Circle Throw phazes twice lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)