Other Looking Ahead to Gen VI Mark II (SEE POSTS #818 & #858)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. Those are really good. If that extra 20 put in Spec. Atk was in Speed though he'd be perfect. As it stands, Gamefreak put him in sort of an awkward position. The speed is so high it feels like a waste to not use it but it's not quite high enough to justify abandoning Kangaskhan's formidable new bulk. Ugh. Why did they have to give it Spec. Atk???!?!?!?! :/

I'm sure it'll only be UU anyway though, and it probably would've been even with 120 Speed. So overall, I like it! Just wanna know if Circle Throw phazes twice lol.
Two hits per attack, even with the reduced damage, with 125 is still too high for UU tier. Subs break and Mega Kangaskhan will net important OHKOs, I imagine. I see it in BL or maybe OU, though it faces stiff competition for the Mega slot. You seem to forget that it has a really nice movepool with access to recovery due to Drain Punch. Though we will have to wait until December for some moves to be legal with it.......

Two hits per attack, even with the reduced damage, with 125 is still too high for UU tier. Subs break and Mega Kangaskhan will net important OHKOs, I imagine. I see it in BL or maybe OU, though it faces stiff competition for the Mega slot. You seem to forget that it has a really nice movepool with access to recovery due to Drain Punch. Though we will have to wait until December for some moves to be legal with it.......
I just don't see people giving it their precious Mega spot. But yeah, maybe BL. :0

Return will have 153 BP if the ToddlerKanga attack is 50% reduced, that's pretty great for a perfect accuracy no drawback move. Not to mention Kangaskhan gets Double Edge, though if the recoil hits twice there's no chance it'd be worth it. Parental Bond also gives Kangaskhan leeway to use Body Slam. It definitely is going to be a contender but it will be walled to death by ghosts. It has Sucker Punch, but most ghosts have the now buffed Will-O-Wisp so...I hope for the best from Kangaskhan though. <3

mega banette is set to be way more annoying than sableye, with these moves gaining priority:

- will-o-wisp
- thunder wave
- imprison
- taunt
- spite
- grudge (lol)
- disable
- destiny bond
- swagger / confuse ray
- trick
- pain split
- embargo
- magic room
- curse (as a ghost type)

seeing as how its physical movepool is crap aside from shadow sneak / shadow claw, sableye 2.0 is the way to go

EDIT: and if you go with shadow sneak as your only attack, you could even skip the speed EVs

I just don't see people giving it their precious Mega spot. But yeah, maybe BL. :0

Return will have 153 BP if the ToddlerKanga attack is 50% reduced, that's pretty great for a perfect accuracy no drawback move. Not to mention Kangaskhan gets Double Edge, though if the recoil hits twice there's no chance it'd be worth it. Parental Bond also gives Kangaskhan leeway to use Body Slam. It definitely is going to be a contender but it will be walled to death by ghosts. It has Sucker Punch, but most ghosts have the now buffed Will-O-Wisp so...I hope for the best from Kangaskhan though. <3
The other interesting thing he has for him is Power-Up Punch, which boosts his attack twice. He could be really dangerous given the occasion.

The other interesting thing he has for him is Power-Up Punch, which boosts his attack twice. He could be really dangerous given the occasion.
Kangaskhan's a she...

But anyway, that would be very dangerous. Double Power-Up Punch is basically a surrogate for Swords Dance, which is on top of what is already a free Attack boost with Substitute-breaking abilities. Ghosts are still a problem with that set (especially Cofagrigus and Mega Banette), though she does learn Crunch for coverage.

EDIT: How does Mummy work with Megakhan's ability anyway? Does the first hit cancel out the ability and disable the second one?

Last edited:
Kangaskhan's a she...

But anyway, that would be very dangerous. Double Power-Up Punch is basically a surrogate for Swords Dance, which is on top of what is already a free Attack boost with Substitute-breaking abilities. Ghosts are still a problem with that set (since Glow Punch is Fighting), so it would need to carry Crunch.
Oops, sorry, I didn't mean to insult her feminity D:

Weatherless offense is definitely going to be the go-to playstyle after the weather nerfs and all the MEvos... I don't think you guys understand how huge MEvos are going to be for previously OU-mons. Obviously stuff like Houndoom and Manetric won't be as good because their original forms aren't that good and you need that one turn to switch, but still, most of the MEvos have been super offensively based, just look at MegaMawile's attack for example...

Defensive doesn't get as huge a boost from fairy type as you think. Most fairies unveiled so far have been subpar bar the final evo of flabebe who's name escapes me at the moment and Sylveon.

Still waiting for that Speed Stall playstyle to be the dominant one...

Last edited:
Obviously stuff like Houndoom and Manetric won't be as good because their original forms that good and you need that one turn to switch,
Not that I'm saying those two will be amazing megas or anything, and in fact I mostly agree with you, just Houndoom and Manectric can switch in with Flash Fire and Lightning Rod respectively to ease things up for them. In Manectric's case it means a lot because it's a special attack bonus that he could possible transfer to his Mega Form (who also gets a boost in the fact that it has Intimidate). I'm not sure about Megadoom being too great though.

I'm surprised no one seemed to notice, but why are we using the Roman numeral for 4 on the OP of a competitive discussion for gen 6? :)
It's not; VI is 6, IV is 4

I've updated the OP with the following:
  • MegaMawile's stats
  • MegaScizor info
  • MegaManetic info
  • MegaAlakazam is Psychic type; I didn't add that originally

50 HP.....
But Mega Mawile also has good defenses and incredible attack. High defenses and low HP make it an ideal user of Pain Split; given that Mega Mawile seems suited to a tanking role, it's low HP means that Pain Split is more effective in extending its longevity and harming its opponents. Plus, since it has intimidate and steel/fairy typing (9 resistances, 2 immunities, only 2 weaknesses) it should have plenty of opportunities to switch in.

So, Mega Mawile has 776 Attack unboosted with an Adamant nature and 252 Attack EV.

Pretty damn amazing, gotta be REALLY careful to not get Sucker Punched.

So anyway, if you can mega evolve and attack on the same turn, wouldn't that make many pokemons way too strong? Again on Mawile, but Mega-Evolving then using Substitute while the opponent is switching (cause Intimidate, or choice locked or whatever) would put him in a really BAD position.

Mawile would just have to use whatever move she has that could really hurt her opponent and be done with it right there. She'll need specific counters probably. Something with a lot of bulk obviously, cause you can't rely on resistances alone.

That actually brings up a good point about mega-mechanics, if you switch between mega and regular, do abilities like Intimidate activate over again?

Edit: doop never mind, ignore this

I'm struggling to think of ways to deal with MegaMawile, and all I can think of are extremely bulky steels. For reference, 252+ Huge Power Fire Fang vs. 224 / 252 Impish Skarm does (53.82% - 63.61%), a guaranteed 2HKO factoring Stealth Rock and Leftovers. Hippo is in a similar boat when up against Iron Head or Rough Play (if Mawile gets it).

Checking this thing will literally be a matter of not letting it set up.

That actually brings up a good point about mega-mechanics, if you switch between mega and regular, do abilities like Intimidate activate over again?
There is no "switching between." Once you are in Mega Form, you stay in Mega form until the end of the battle.

I'm struggling to think of ways to deal with MegaMawile, and all I can think of are extremely bulky steels. For reference, 252+ Huge Power Fire Fang vs. 224 / 252 Impish Skarm does (53.82% - 63.61%)
And Skarm can really just Whirlwind her away because of her humongous defense and Skarmory mediocre attack and coverage.

Which doesn't turn off her Mega Evolution, so she can totally just come switch back in at any given opportunity.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm struggling to think of ways to deal with MegaMawile, and all I can think of are extremely bulky steels. For reference, 252+ Huge Power Fire Fang vs. 224 / 252 Impish Skarm does (53.82% - 63.61%), a guaranteed 2HKO factoring Stealth Rock and Leftovers. Hippo is in a similar boat when up against Iron Head or Rough Play (if Mawile gets it).

Checking this thing will literally be a matter of not letting it set up.

There is no "switching between." Once you are in Mega Form, you stay in Mega form until the end of the battle.
SpD Heatran will be able to phaze Mawile with Roar, bypassing Sucker Punch, or just KO it with Lava Plume if it has enough life to take one Sucker Punch (+2 252 Atk Huge Power Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 73.83 - 87.04%). Rotom-W and Jellicent don't give a shit about anything Mawile can do and bypass Sucker Punch with WoW. Offensive pivot Landorus-T tanks anything other than Ice Punch and deals 74% minimum to max HP Mega Mawile. Keldeo easily switches into anything other than ThunderPunch and OHKOes with Secret Sword after SR. Same with Infernape, which can switch-in less comfortably though due to worse bulk. There are a lot of ways to counter or check Mega Mawile, so i wouldn't be too worried about it.

Oh and btw, Skarmory won't be a good check to Mega Mawile, as it is OHKOed by +2 ThunderPunch after SR.

SpD Heatran will be able to phaze Mawile with Roar, bypassing Sucker Punch, or just KO it with Lava Plume if it has enough life to take one Sucker Punch (+2 252 Atk Huge Power Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 73.83 - 87.04%). Rotom-W and Jellicent don't give a shit about anything Mawile can do and bypass Sucker Punch with WoW. Offensive pivot Landorus-T tanks anything other than Ice Punch and deals 74% minimum to max HP Mega Mawile. Keldeo easily switches into anything other than ThunderPunch and OHKOes with Secret Swords after SR. Same with Infernape, which can switch-in less comfortably though due to worse bulk. There are a lot of ways to counter or check Mega Mawile, so i wouldn't be too worried about it.
Rotom-W and Jellicent can WoW a Mawile behind a sub.

Which is the logical thing to do on the turn you Mega evolve her.. So a single pokemon can at best kill her in 2 turns.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rotom-W and Jellicent can WoW a Mawile behind a sub.

Which is the logical thing to do on the turn you Mega evolve her.. So a single pokemon can at best kill her in 2 turns.
I don't think that Mawile will use Substitute. It has no form of recovery, not even Leftovers, and Iron Head + Sucker Punch leaves a lot to be desired in terms of coverage and makes it very easy to wall (Skarmory, Keldeo, Roar Heatran, Roar Gyarados, Sub Magnezone).

EDIT: I was assuming SubSD btw.

Last edited:
Substitute
Iron Head
Sucker Punch
Filler (Fairy physical move maybe?)

We don't even know what move she'll get this gen, if anything she might actually get a recovery move or like Drain Punch or something ridiculous like that.

I don't think Mawile will want to MEvo and sub since I assume the turn Mawile MEvo it utilizes Mawile's speed not Mega Mawile's. So if you Mevo and choose sub it would be like

Mawile Mevo
Opponent attack
Mawile use Sub

Then the following turn Mega Mawile's speed stat is utilize.

Yeah its looking to be that Mawhile it going to have a bit of 4 slot move syndrome so far, without certain elemental moves, it has some pretty good counters, and if you use a slot for another move like Substitute, that puts your options down even lower.

Xerneas is absolutely insane. Power herb+Geomancy is extremely powerful, specially when combined with base 130 sp atk and stab moonblast. I have not played that many matches, but from what i played, it never disappointed. Definitely looking foward to see what coverage moves it has.
Roar/Whirlwind
Also, do we know if Embargo or Magic Room stops Mega Evolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)