XY Experiences

Hmm currently making my way to the 8th and final gym after stopping the evil organization's plans and capturing the suprisingly easy-to-capture Xerneas.

The team of 4 I'm using at the moment are as follows:
Flygon
Blastoise
Alakazam
Delphox
I also have various HM Slaves.

Am enjoying the game and can not seem to put it down.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention I love the in-game devoloping 'relationship' with Shauna (For a male anyway) Keeps the story line interesting and just makes the game more enjoyable.

I'm currently 6 Gyms in, grinding up a new team-member I just caught. The variety is amazing, the region is amazing, but I do have a few quips I'll go into later.

Also I'm refusing to use the EXP.Share except when there is a level spike. Which there has been a few times.

I'm catching so many pokemon. I've NEVER had 4 boxes filled before. EVER. I've not even been combing everything for stuff.

Love the attention to detail. Touch Pikachu's cheeks in pokeamie? You get shocked. Go to the pokemon center? Instead of 6 pokeballs on the counter, it's whatever balls you used.

My current team is:
Lv 43 Delphox
Lv 43 Venusaur
Lv 42 Swanna
Lv 42 Absol
Lv 42 Sligoo
Lv 41 Shiny Klefki

===

Anyway, I mentioned I have a few minor annoyances; and here they are:
1: The pacing feels off. There's a giant gap between Gyms 1 and 2, and then Gyms 4,5 and 6 are pretty much back to back [5 and 6 have a grand total of 0 major events between them!]
2: The level curve is WEIRD. Example, the double-Lucario fight is a boss fight. Both Lv 25. Go onto the next route, which triggered the fight when you tried to enter: Lv 28 trainers. Nowhere to grind between. Just a 3 level spike for no good reason. I ended up underleveled for Gym 6, without skipping anything between 5 and 6. [Which isn't much, by the way]
3: Wobbufetts in Cave of Reflection are too common, and honestly too soon in the game. Run into one and most likly you have to leave the cave. [Those things are gonna be so much fun for anyone Nuzlockeing this game].
Dugtrio are not as bad, but they are FAR too common.
4: Megastones can only be found between 8pm and 9pm, and postgame if they're not gifts. Annoying to say the least. So Gengar can use his [completely broken] Mega-Evo before postgame but Mawlile cannot?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Raikaria how were you underlevelled at any point after you got EXP Share? That's my one gripe with the level curve (other than that silly gap between Gym 1 and 2): you can literally get 3.5x the EXP per battle with it than without. Say a battle gives 100 EXP, and you use one Pokemon on it. The Pokemon who battles gets 100, every other mon in a full team of 6 gets 50 exp, for a total of 350 EXP. It's pretty ridiculous and it easymodes the entire game. For my second playthrough I'm definitely turning it off.

How does Greninja learn Dark Pulse and Nasty Plot? Also, how can you make use of Water Shuriken, considering Greninja's special attack is better and it doesn't learn Swords Dance? An idea I thought of is using Power-Up-Punch, but it's not a strong move though, only 40 BP.

Wow, Flabébé/Floette/Florges is awful later on.

Looks pretty good on paper. Early Fairy-type, reasonable stats for ingame, starts with a workable STAB move. And, hey, it's a pretty decent team member early on.

Except Fairy Wind is its only fucking STAB option. At least until around level 40; didn't bother trying to see if it picked up Moonblast or something later on. And you can't wait to evolve it anyway, because it needs the Azure Bay Shiny Stone to even sort of keep up with the other things you're using at this point.

So it's sitting there hitting things with its 40 BP STAB at gym 5.

Then again, the way these games handle EXP, I can actually see "pick up a Flabébé, run with it until Shalour, dump it in a box after Korrina" as a viable strategy. It's very easy to get later Pokémon up to par with your current party in a timely manner with the new and improved (read: ludicrously broken) EXP Share.

(On the other hand, Lucario is easy mode. Well, easier mode. Comes at a competitive level with its Mega Stone and Swords Dance. Congratulations. When I tear into Y, I think I'm going to make a point of not using either the EXP Share or the free Lucario.)

Oh god. I remember there was one route which had rain in it, now I cannot find it. Trying to get Goodra but manual rain is not enough :/
Found rain on Route 21. Then it stopped. Oh god search continues.

Finally got my Goodra. Rain was at fairygym town.

Last edited:
Route 10 seems to always be raining for me.

Also, Flying Press has the greatest animation. I love you Hawlucha. I know I said I was gonna use Lucario as my fighting type, but the first time I saw Hawlucha and he did that amazing Lucha Libre entrance animation, I fell in love. And all of his attacks involve flipping in the air! Oh yea, and he's a beast. He's too awesome.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wow, Flabébé/Floette/Florges is awful later on.

Looks pretty good on paper. Early Fairy-type, reasonable stats for ingame, starts with a workable STAB move. And, hey, it's a pretty decent team member early on.

Except Fairy Wind is its only fucking STAB option. At least until around level 40; didn't bother trying to see if it picked up Moonblast or something later on. And you can't wait to evolve it anyway, because it needs the Azure Bay Shiny Stone to even sort of keep up with the other things you're using at this point.

So it's sitting there hitting things with its 40 BP STAB at gym 5.

Then again, the way these games handle EXP, I can actually see "pick up a Flabébé, run with it until Shalour, dump it in a box after Korrina" as a viable strategy. It's very easy to get later Pokémon up to par with your current party in a timely manner with the new and improved (read: ludicrously broken) EXP Share.

(On the other hand, Lucario is easy mode. Well, easier mode. Comes at a competitive level with its Mega Stone and Swords Dance. Congratulations. When I tear into Y, I think I'm going to make a point of not using either the EXP Share or the free Lucario.)
IIRC it does get moonblast later (44?). You can also get a shiny stone anytime by completing "secret super training" when you attempt super training with a mon already maxed in EVs!

It's a stone evolution, though, so it doesn't learn Moonblast after it evolves, does it?

You can get an earlier Shiny Stone to help it keep steam by raw statistical overkill, but it'll still peter out around the same point.

I just found a freaking GHOST GIRL in a elevator in Luminose City! O_O Creeeeeeeeepy!

No pics, sorry. Totally unexpected O_O!

Last edited:
Very slow start for me. Finally going to fight the first leader. Been wasting time trying to cop a good Torchic. Finally got one, maximum Attack on Adamant. Decent Speed (not that it matters with Speed Boost). Was literally the first one out of a hundred or so that had an Attack over 20...It'll be worth the hassle for sure though. Don't need a Talonflame, I suppose.

Are there even any Special Attackers besides Pikachu and Vivillon to pick up before the first gym?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's a little past the first, but you could consider ralts, flabebe, or pyroar "before the first gym". Iirc ralts and flabebe are right after the first gym (literally right after) and I spent some time training there. You may need the first gym badge to get them, but I trained for a while once I had access to that route.

I'm barely at Reflection Cave, and frankly, it's been a pretty easy ride for me so far. My current team is:
lvl. 32 Pangoro
lvl. 33 Pikachu w/ Light Ball
lvl. 33 Floette
lvl 34 Venusaur
lvl. 34 Fletchinder
lvl. 36 Greninja
The Exp. Share has taken a lot of the grief out of training (I'm already starting on training this Honedge I've saved), but right now, I can't help but feel that the game is going to throw a major curve ball at me at some point like Random Trainers with access to Megalutions or a level spike.

It's a little past the first, but you could consider ralts, flabebe, or pyroar "before the first gym". Iirc ralts and flabebe are right after the first gym (literally right after) and I spent some time training there. You may need the first gym badge to get them, but I trained for a while once I had access to that route.
Hm, might go for Ralts (although Alakazam...). Interesting about pyroar though. By looks, one would easily assume it would be Physical. Hopefully I could possibly grab a good one of the Fairy.

gotta admit that pokemon amie is pretty sweet! My Sylveon loves me and it gets crazy benifits from amie such as dodging on occasion, more critical hits, and even managed to heal itself from poison!

is there a thread at all where people exchange 3ds codes? Wanna get some more people on this list maybe do some exclusive trades and what not.

is there a thread at all where people exchange 3ds codes? Wanna get some more people on this list maybe do some exclusive trades and what not.
Check out the bottom of the first post in this thread. There's a Google Doc where you can enter in your info and see everyone else's.

--------

Update time!

So I just got my third badge and Megacario after the long, long gymless drought. I liked the scene where you get your first Mega; it's a good indicator of how well GF is using the new graphics to give us a more cinematic experience. It's not high arte (the kind you spell with an 'e'!) or anything, but it's also something I couldn't see them doing with sprites unless they got a whole lot more expressive. Also, I'm already a big fan of EXP Share, but I'm also continuing my tradition of playing on "Set" battle mode to make things a little more challenging.

The team ATM:

Chesnaught ♀
Blastoise ♀ <Mega>
Pangoro ♂
Tyrunt ♀
Slowbro ♀
Ampharos ♀

I don't regret getting Chespin at all. Vine Whip/Roll Out is a very potent combo early game, and it ends up being generally bulky enough to take the hits that other stuff seems to have trouble with. #TeamChespin knows what I'm talkin' about. Blastoise is just as I remember it aside from the stronger Bubble: a hero in a half shell, but I might end up passing the Mega torch to Amphabulous once I find it. Right now my biggest problems (aside from terrible RNG) are too many overlapping types and no true special wall. Not a huge problem in-game, but I like to have my butt covered in case I end up against a fast especially special sweeper that'll tear my poor Pokes to pieces. I might end up ditching Tyrunt or Pangoro (who actually ended up being my only male) at some point for a Goodra the sticky dragon if that becomes a problem.

Having tons of fun, and that's all I can ask for.

Check out the bottom of the first post in this thread. There's a Google Doc where you can enter in your info and see everyone else's.

--------

Update time!

So I just got my third badge and Megacario after the long, long gymless drought. I liked the scene where you get your first Mega; it's a good indicator of how well GF is using the new graphics to give us a more cinematic experience. It's not high arte (the kind you spell with an 'e'!) or anything, but it's also something I couldn't see them doing with sprites unless they got a whole lot more expressive. Also, I'm already a big fan of EXP Share, but I'm also continuing my tradition of playing on "Set" battle mode to make things a little more challenging.

The team ATM:

Chesnaught ♀
Blastoise ♀ <Mega>
Pangoro ♂
Tyrunt ♀
Slowbro ♀
Ampharos ♀

I don't regret getting Chespin at all. Vine Whip/Roll Out is a very potent combo early game, and it ends up being generally bulky enough to take the hits that other stuff seems to have trouble with. #TeamChespin knows what I'm talkin' about. Blastoise is just as I remember it aside from the stronger Bubble: a hero in a half shell, but I might end up passing the Mega torch to Amphabulous once I find it. Right now my biggest problems (aside from terrible RNG) are too many overlapping types and no true special wall. Not a huge problem in-game, but I like to have my butt covered in case I end up against a fast especially special sweeper that'll tear my poor Pokes to pieces. I might end up ditching Tyrunt or Pangoro (who actually ended up being my only male) at some point for a Goodra the sticky dragon if that becomes a problem.

Having tons of fun, and that's all I can ask for.
Thanks. I too play "set" style and I also picked chespin. Rollout with hone claws was absolutely monstrous, just literally rolled over anything in the way. Im currently using:
Skrelp
Sylveon
Chesnaught
Charizard
Tyrunt
Doublade
Pangoro-HM slave
Awaiting Yveltal

Such an amazing game, cannot put it down even for a second. Its everything I expected and then some. Walking dead in 25 min too cant wait <3, but yea great game is great

I think I just caught an awesome Xerneas, at least by SR standards.

Recent evidence suggests that it (and maybe Yveltal as well) is scripted to have 3 random "flawless" IVs...

So, I took a Timid Ralts with Synchronize before capturing it, since I wanted a Xerneas that didn't have an awful nature.

After a few attempts, these were the results:

(note: Xerneas' BST is apparently 126/131/95/131/98/99, which you'll find in the thread I linked)

At level 50 it was Timid with the "Somewhat vain" characteristic.

HP 201
Atk 124
Def 115
SpA 149
SpD 118
Spe 130

With these stats in mind, the IVs strongly resemble 31/x/31/26-27/31/31 in a calculator.

Game is really addicting, feels like i'm playing Blue all over again. :-)

Team atm

Frogadier
Ivysaur
Houndoom
Helioptile
Hawlucha

2 badges

Right now, Helioptile is a real liability, can't get anything done on its own. Could anyone tell me when he evolves? He's at lvl 25 atm, and still no evo.

Last edited:
Team atm

Frogadier
Ivysaur
Houndoom
Helioptile
Hawlucha

2 badges

Right now, Helioptile is a real liability, can't get anything done on its own. Could anyone tell me when he evolves? IHe's at lvl 25 atm, and still no evo.
he evolves with a sun stone. I picked my first one up at the Kalos power plant area, right after the 4th badge

It's a stone evolution, though, so it doesn't learn Moonblast after it evolves, does it?

You can get an earlier Shiny Stone to help it keep steam by raw statistical overkill, but it'll still peter out around the same point.
If you get anxious you can evolve it and either teach it Dazzling Gleam from the 6th leader or use a heart scale wherever the move rememberer is

I'm trying to find the eighth gym leader right now does anyone know where to find him? Also team right now is
Chesnaught Level 54
Blastoise Level 54
Tyrantrum Level 53
Gengar Level 53
Meowstic Level 54
Blaziken Level 58
Do you think I'm ready for the final gym?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)