Other Looking Ahead to Gen VI Mark II (SEE POSTS #818 & #858)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, shadow sneak as its only physical ghost move is an annoyance (even something with 50 base power would make it more worthwhile than night slash) but I don't see how the priority is a good thing at all. If you leave them with 1% hp, you get KO'd with your now brittle 50 base defenses

Aegislash gets Shadow Claw by TM.

Definitely Barbarcle. But do we know its full movepool yet? Even without that, it's easily seen that Barbarcle is the better of the two.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
If 80% accuracy on Cross Chop puts you off you can also use Nature Power (EQ isn't confirmed yet but there's a good chance he'll have that too). No Tough Claws boost on that though =/

And I'd say Barbaracle wins thanks to that speed and more offensive presence. He also has better coverage as he has access to rock/fighting//ground coverage.

I had a good feeling that Barbaracle was gonna be the better Pokemon but I hate how ugly it looks. Hopefully it gets sent to UB so I can use Cloyster.

If 80% accuracy on Cross Chop puts you off you can also use Nature Power (EQ isn't confirmed yet but there's a good chance he'll have that too). No Tough Claws boost on that though =/
Well, no. This was posted in the Battle Mechanics Research tread:

On the subject of Nature Power, I got into a Link Battle with a friend last night and it spat out Tri Attack. I believe the Rock gym is treated as cave terrain due to the layout.

But maybe Barbaracle gets EQ by TM.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
oh ok then. Barbaracle seems like something that would learn EQ though, especially considering its distribution isn't too shabby anyways.

So Cloyster or Barbaracle?

Cloyster - 50/95/180/85/45/70
Skill Link - All 5 Hits
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear - STABIce - 125
-Rock Blast - Rock - 125/90%
-Hydro Pump - STABSA120/80%
VS
Barbaracle - 70/110-120/110-120/50/100/80
Tough Claws - 20% Boost on Contact moves
-Shell Smash
-Razor Shell - STAB75/95%/lowerDef
-Stone Edge (Not Contact) - STAB100/80%/crit
-Cross Chop - 100/80%crit /Poison Jab 80/100%/30%poison /Night Slash - 70/crit
Hmm.

Cloyster Pros:
-Higher BP moves w/ Higher Accuracy
-Ability to go mixed
-Gets interesting niche support options + priority
-Is a Cloyster
Cloyster Cons
-SR Weak (Biggie yall)
-Lower Attack
-Bad special bulk (they seem equal physical defense-wise I don't really know)

Barbaracle Pros:
-Higher Attack
-Better Mixed Bulk
-Higher speed
Barbaracle Cons:
-Freak of nature
-Unreliable moves most of which have comparably low BP (Tough Claws sort of remedies this but not really)

I dunno, they are really similar (right down to the horrid priority weaknesses) yet I think they are different enough to each get used. Barbaracle seems like it could overall be better (especially if you don't miss lol) but Cloyster is different enough to warrant a place on teams imo.

Last edited:
Hmm.

Cloyster Pros:
-Higher BP moves w/ Higher Accuracy
-Ability to go mixed
-Gets interesting niche support options + priority
-Is a Cloyster

Cloyster Cons

-SR Weak (Biggie yall)
-Lower Attack
-Bad special bulk (they seem equal physical defense-wise I don't really know)

Barbaracle Pros:
-Higher Attack
-Better Mixed Bulk
-Higher speed
Barbaracle Cons:
-Freak of nature
-Unreliable moves most of which have comparably low BP (Tough Claws sort of remedies this but not really)
-No priority(At least, not so far as we know)
-Rock/Water is terrible and he should feel bad
-GRASS
-Less physical bulk
-No Sturdy
-Earthquake is everywhere

I dunno, they are really similar (right down to the horrid priority weaknesses) yet I think they are different enough to each get used. Barbaracle seems like it could overall be better (especially if you don't miss lol) but Cloyster is different enough to warrant a place on teams imo.
Yeah, Barbaracle has more issues than you talked about. Also, Topsy Turvy makes him useless(Cloyster too), as that extra defense stat mean nothing given it has no real way to take advantage of it.

How the fuck are you supposed to survive Shell Boosted STAB out of 110 offense with 80/90 bulk(good, but not great) and no resistance?

....which get worse if Barb have X scissor

Last edited:
Serebii says that the litwick he got from friend safari had infiltrator as its ability. Either litwick has 2 hidden abilities or shadow tag got removed. I swear if contrary serperior gets replaced.....

How the fuck are you supposed to survive Shell Boosted STAB out of 110 offense with 80/90 bulk(good, but not great) and no resistance?

+2 Jolly Razor Shell vs 252/252+ Skarmory

37.1% - 44%

And this is before the boost from Tough Claws, so its pretty much a solid 2HK

Also did Barbaracle have X Scissor?
At which point Skarmory Whirlwinds you away and stops your sweep cold. Also Tough Claws only makes Razor Shell 90 BP, so with lefties I'm sure there's still a possibility it won't 2HKO (though there is the defense drop chance). I'm not sure about X Scissor, but with Tough Claws Barbaracle has a 120 BP Fighting move (Cross Chop) with a +1 crit chance. That's kinda hardcore coming from his boosted attack stat. 80% Accuracy on two of his his strongest moves, however, is just a recipe for disaster. I predict much rage.

What do you guys think of the move Electrify? It has to be used first, not a problem for most electric types, and makes all moves become Electric types. Could be very useful on Volt Absorb mons like Jolteon, Thundurus, Raikou, etc.

Am I right in seeing that Ghost/Fighting has perfect coverage now?
It always did since the beginning of Pokémon's existence.

Off topic a bit, but I guess breeders can rejoice a little on Hidden Power. Now, they no longer have to IV breed for that max base power considering it's set to 60 now.

Also, I'll concede that Avalugg is actually better than Donphan now since Avalugg learns Recover o.O

*crosses fingers for Cresselia and Lake Pixies' retcons to Fairy-type in December*

Here is my Mega Mewtwo X :
Nature : Hasty
IVs : According to judge, 31 in Attack, S.Defense and Speed
Stats at level 70 with no EVs : 237 HP, 292 Att, 143 Def, 239 S.Att, 166 S.Def and 228 Spd

Serebii says that the litwick he got from friend safari had infiltrator as its ability. Either litwick has 2 hidden abilities or shadow tag got removed. I swear if contrary serperior gets replaced.....
I hope they have 4 abilities.
If not I'll be really annoyed. >:(
What was the point of giving them DW abilities if they never released them and then change them straight away?
I was really looking forward to using Contrary Serperior and Shadow Tag Chandulure...
Is it true that Infiltrator now goes through Substitute, cause that would help make that ability a lot better.

Last edited:
Aegislash gets Shadow Claw by TM.
When was this confirmed? This is the first Ive heard of it, and all the movepools Ive seen of Aegislash don't include it.

That being said, Shadow claw on Aegislash would be amazing for the ghost/fighting unresisted attacks. I still am saying no Shadow Sneak - you're better off going shadow claw -> king's shield: tanking one hit with 150 defenses, hitting with 3x the power of a shadow sneak, then if you predict a setup move (because obviously youre gonna use kings shield) you can choose to thwack them again

When was this confirmed? This is the first Ive heard of it, and all the movepools Ive seen of Aegislash don't include it.

That being said, Shadow claw on Aegislash would be amazing for the ghost/fighting unresisted attacks. I still am saying no Shadow Sneak - you're better off going shadow claw -> king's shield: tanking one hit with 150 defenses, hitting with 3x the power of a shadow sneak, then if you predict a setup move (because obviously youre gonna use kings shield) you can choose to thwack them again

By definition, a counter can't be the same thing as the countered /pokemon/move/ability. It's like saying Drizzle counters Drizzle or Dugtrio counters Dugtrio.
If Sticky Web ends up being as relevant as SR, any team that doesn't run it will be put at disdvantage. This hurts offensive teams more than defensive ones, though, and that's the only reason I'm ok with it.
Except Drizzle doesn't counter Drizzle while Sticky Web counters Sticky Web, similar to how Trick Room counters Trick Room and Taunt counters Taunt. If both sides have their speed reduced by 1, that's no different from neither side having reduced speed. If Sticky Web doesn't affect airborne pokemon then it's a different matter.

The only thing I can see holding Sticky Web back is its distribution. If it's bad enough, it will be hard to set up while also making the game a 5V6.

Looks like there has been a new "entry hazard" added to Gen VI. Sticky Web.
As the name suggests a web is placed around the opposing team and Pokemon that switch in suffer from a Speed-Drop.
Competitively speaking, this is huge. This new entry hazard just might be on par with Stealth Rock. It may not directly damage your Pokemon but it'll give offensive Pokemon such as MegaLucario and MegaGengar a tough time especially since they rely heavily on their new-found Speed stats.
Sticky Web seriously lends a helping head towards bulkier Pokemon and more balanced teams in general as well. Tanks such as Goodra find themselves able to outspeed relevant threats and KO them with an appropriate coverage move.
What do you guys think about Sticky Web?
This also makes Trick Room teams more viable. The speed drops help them! I can see an extremely fast (slow) Life Orb Goodra in Trick Room sweeper set being viable. If it gets it, then maybe even a self-setup!

Also, what is this "Phantom Force" move that Aegislash gets that I've been hearing about?

Let's talk about Goodra!

I have some predicted stats that I looked up.

HP: 80
Attack: 95
Defense: 80
Special Attack: 115
Special Defense: 140
Speed: 90

Abilities:
Hydration
Sap Sipper
Gooey (Hidden Ability) (contact moves makes Pokemon -1 Speed)

This is a tank, it isn't arguable. Listing the ups and downs:

+ Special Defense is through the roof (higher than Blissey at 135!)
+ Above average Special Attack, viable enough to run a bulky attacker set
+ Two amazing abilities in Hydration and Gooey. Hydration is useful with Rain to take status like a boss, which is a godsend for a bulky Pokemon, alongside it's many Water-type attacks such as Hydro Pump. Gooey lets it function as an emergency stopper to physical sweepers, lowering their Speed. It can also use this to force switches for a Choice Specs set.
+ Other stats aren't that bad.
- Low defense and HP
- Speed is 'meh', but it's stats make it lean towards tanking roles, which somewhat offsets it.

Evidence: http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/goodra (stats)
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/706.shtml (abilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)