Not open for further replies.
Tyrantrum #697

Type: Rock / Dragon
Ability:
- Strong Jaw
Strong Jaw increases the power of biting moves(e.g. Crunch) by 50%

- Rock Head
This ability tells you to spam Head Smash. Do it
Does not receive recoil damage from recoil-causing damages.

Base Stats: 82 / 121 / 119 / 69 / 59 / 71

Confirmed Movepool:
Ancientpower
Dragon Tail
Dragon Claw
Crunch
Earthquake
Return
Hone Claws
Protect

Rock Tomb
Attract
Dig
Strength
Rock Smash
Sleep Talk
Rest
Rock Polish
Aerial Ace
Frustation
Confide*
Attract
Giga Impact
Power-Up Punch*
Dark Pulse
Tail Whip
Tackle
Stomp
Horn Drill
Roar
Stealth Rock
Dragon Dance

Thrash
Head Smash
Rock Slide
Ice Fang
Thunder Fang
Fire Fang
Poison Fang

Tyrantrum posessed a Unique Typing in Rock/Dragon, giving it a nice set of STAB and offensive potential. With 125 base Attack, Tyrantrum can hit hard with Head Smash and Dragon STAB. Furthermore, Tyrantrum's 75 base speed, while fairly low, is enough to outspeed key targets given the proper resource. With Neutral Nature, a +2 Tyrantrum reach 498 Speed, enough to outspeed Scarfed Base 100. A plus speed Tyrantrum reach 546 Speed. With Choice Scarf and a positive speed Nature, Tyrantrum barely have enough speed to outspeed a plus Base 130 speed pokemon, one of which is Mega Gengar. Tyrantrum is also pretty bulky, with 95 HP and 120 Def base, it can take some weaker super effective attacks, including some priority attacks.

Tyrantrum's ability is fairly good. Strong Jaw increased the base power of biting moves, such as Crunch by 50%. Tyrantrum also have access to the Elemental Fangs and several boosting moves.

EDIT: Now that Rock Head is confirmed, Tyrantrum is one of two pokemon that posses the Recoil-less Head Smash combo. Coming from 121 Base attack, this attack is the trump card of Tyrantrum denting even resistors and outright killing many that did not resist it.

Potential Movesets
Choiced Tantrum

Tyrantrum@ Choice Scarf/Band
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Crunch
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Set Description:

The set is simple, spam Head Smash as much as possible, and cover it with Dragon Claw and Earthquake for resistor. Scarf allows it to outspeed unboosted Base 130.

Boosting Tantrum

Tyrantrum@ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Rock Polish/Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Set Description:

After a Rock Polish, Tyrantrum reach 498 Speed, or 546 Speed. Alternatively Tyrantrum can also run Dragon Dance. Combine this with its powerful STAB Head Smash, it can become a nice cleaner, bypassing the downside of Choice Items at cost of setting up.

Checks & Counters:

Sadly, a lot. Aside from the standard choiced pokemon issue, SE priority attacks is a huge problem, however note that Tyrantrum's high Defense and HP allows it to take 1 - 2 unboosted hits if it need to unless its something like Choice Band Bullet Punch from Scizor. Conkelldurr is basically its nemesis, resisting Head Smash while having high defense to take repeated hits, and OHKO back with Drain Punch. Hippowdon can take Head Smash and strike back with STAB Earthquake. Jolly Scarf set Head Smash only 2HKO Skarmory after Stealth Rock damage. Finally, faster Dragons can simply kill it with their STAB.

Personal Opinion of the pokemon and conclusion

Tyrantrum has several things to play with. On the bright side, Tyrantrum is capable of heavilly damaging most Fairy Types with its powerful STAB Head Smash. On the other hand, Rock is an unfortunate typing in a game where Fighting and Steel are a prominent type, each having priority attacks of their own. This issue become more troublesome with the nerf towards Weather Summoning abilities, which means Tyrantrum is not as capable at abusing the Special Defense boost from Sandstorm. This is not something that can't be solved with proper team building, but its there.

Will it have a chance to shine in the upcoming metagame?

EDIT:
- Removed every mention of Head Smash.
- Updated Movepool
- Added Rock Head and removed innacurate Calculations based on Old estimates

Last edited:
It's kinda sad that his defining Strong Jaw ability is almost useless now with Rock Head... I don't understand why they did that. There needs to be a hidden biting move it can use to make it useful, but there probably isn't...

Also like I said in the Aurorus thread: these base stats are way too optimistic.

It's more like 85/120-125/120-125/75?/60/70 (70 speed is probably the highest likely). This would STILL give 530-540 BST, which seems a little more realistic.

I think it has a chance with a shuffling set. Stealth rocks and STAB dragon tail help, whilst it gets other moves such as head smash to deal with fairies
Unless there is a Dragon biting move we haven't found yet, Rockhead will be the ability of choice on any set

So this guy doesn't get the elemental fangs?

Typical GF give a Pokémon a good ability and not enough moves to use it fully

I can't see this guy being OU. A 4x resistance to Fire is nice, but those are primarily on the special side. I think this guy requires too much help to sweep and will be a good Wall Breaker with Choice Band. Good offensive typing and poor defensive typing means it won't stay around too long even with that great defense. Even with Rock Polish, being weak to Mach Punch and Bullet Punch is the nail in the coffin. This dude has to threaten things on the switch and simply destroy walls with STAB Head Smash and, if it learns it, Outrage. With Light Screen in the Sand however you get something with far more survivability.

Too many factors...

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If this thing does indeed get Rock Head, it could be really devastating in UU. However, i don't see it getting any serious use in OU, with Technician Mach Punch, Technician Bullet Punch, and Adaptability Bullet Punch flying everywhere, as well as Hippowdon walling the shit out of it and Landorus-T giving it a very hard time too. Oh, Aqua Jet Azumarill is another problem for this thing that it won't have to face in UU.

His Dragon typing is also more of a liability, even if it gives it useful resistances. I think this thing will be similar to Heracross's role in UU - it's one of the top tier threats, and under the right circumstances it can sweep in OU simply because of it's base power and stats, but overall it will just not be good enough to warrant a permanent spot on most teams.

So this guy doesn't get the elemental fangs?

Typical GF give a Pokémon a good ability and not enough moves to use it fully
If this thing does indeed get Rock Head, it could be really devastating in UU. However, i don't see it getting any serious use in OU, with Technician Mach Punch, Technician Bullet Punch, and Adaptability Bullet Punch flying everywhere, as well as Hippowdon walling the shit out of it and Landorus-T giving it a very hard time too. Oh, Aqua Jet Azumarill is another problem for this thing that it won't have to face in UU.
Well but Aqua Jet isn't SE! Also there are a few counters for Mach/Bullet-Punchers. At least I will definitely use them like I always did in gen 5. Scizors are/were insane. Breloom too, but he had quite a few Pokemon he couldn't touch... (sleep was the problem, but now Venusaur and some other grass types take care of that).

Choice Band and Rock Polish sets will be very devastating in lower tiers. Don't see Tyrantrum working in OU which is too bad because I really like this guy!

Could even work as a kinda gimmick in ubers where it's nice to have stabbed Stone Edge for Lugia/Ho-oh/Rayquaza. Getting "stab" for Crunch is kinda good too.

Yeah it doesn't look all that great to me, it's just so slow and weak to too many things. A Rock Polish (or if the above poster is telling the truth, Dragon Dance) set might be good in UU, but this is disappointing to me, I really like Tyrantrum.

I'm seeing weaknesses to Steel, Fairy, Ground, Ice, Fighting and Dragon. Any others I missed?

I hate to jump on this bandwagon but I have to agree. I can see him in UU, maybe if his BST isn't that great when it's confirmed, RU but not really in OU. Rock Head is a great ability and firing Head Smashes off in reckless abandon seems fine on paper but his typing is what kills him. Those are some really prevalent weaknesses all things considered.

Do we have his egg moves yet? He may yet learn the Elemental Fangs (and it'll be really sad if he doesn't).
That'll open up his options, though whether it'll be enough is another matter.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I believe you guys are underestimating just how hard a Head Smash hits after a Dragon Dance but ok I'm not complaining. Seriously, it can easily go SubDD and have a spot left for any coverage move he likes. After one DD there's not much that isn't 2HKO'd by Head Smash, the only things that come to mind are Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, Bronzong and Aegislash.

To me it seems like a decent poke.
CB hits insanely hard, it's typing doesn't suck THAT much (considering it's rock typing, which it's awful; at least it is neutral to water and grass, and resists electric), and it can boost speed/attack with Dragon Dance. It's also quite bulky (we can't rely on Sandstorm anymore though).
But Rock typing warrants it's not going to be the greatest thing either, being weak to common attacks, and with priority to make it worse. Dragon isn't the best thing for a dual STAB with Rock either, seeing that Rock is the primary STAB of choice for it(surprisingly enough, considering gen 5 metagame).
Sincerely, it looks like a worse Terrakion to me; it has potential to be stronger, but only if some circunstances are met.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's pretty much the ideal version of Head Smash Aggron that we've always wanted. It's got workable Speed, Dragon Dance / Rock Polish and decent offensivr typing. I can see Tyrantrum being a monster in the lower tiers (and viable in standard too)

Not much can stomach a +1 Head Smash coming off base 125 Attack.

Last edited:

MaximumZero

Banned deucer.
Confirming that it gets Dragon Dance and Fire Fang through breeding with Charizard .

How about

Tyrantrum@ Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Fang
- Head Smash
- Earthquake/Crunch/Dragon Claw ????

FireFang for Fairies . Headsmash for STAB .

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Since this thing is relatively easy to revenge kill after one Dragon Dance, and has enough relevant weaknesses to make revenge killing it not that hard, i think it's going to prefer Choice Band sets. A simple 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant set with Head Smash / Dragon Claw / Earthquake / Fire Fang can wreck everything except from Hippowdon (and you can come close to OHKOing this if you go with Outrage > Dragon Claw). Earthquake deals with Jirachi, Terrakion, and Toxicroak, while Fire Fang OHKOes Ferrothorn. Dragon Claw is just an accurate STAB in order you want to safely KO something. Although, with some bulk investment and under sand, it could be pretty hard to revenge kill and the power of +1 Head Smash is just insane (crazy enough to get away with just Head Smash + EQ, and use something like Sub in the last slot). Maybe a bulky SubDD set with Leftovers?

MaximumZero

Banned deucer.
Unfortunately , Tyrantrum cannot learn Outrage through Egg Moves . ( Since it's useless cause you get walled by Fairies if you happen to face one )
How about a

Tyrantrum@Leftovers
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 126 HP / 252 Atk / 130 SpD
Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Fang
- Head Smash
- Earthquake

I'm liking this thing a lot. Not so much the Pokemon but the move Headsmash. Toss a scarf on it and pair it with a powerful spread attacker and you've got some of the best offensive coverage in 2v2. I won a few beta-matches with Scarf Typhlosion and Sun but this could probably losen up your opponent's Defence if you're firing away with Blizzards as well.

DD is not so viable in 2v2 however using it with a Rock Gem and Tailwind support could provide a nearly guarantee KO on something and a near-CBtar-Stone-Edge-power spammable move after that.

Fair points. As I said, I don't really see it being in OU but it does have a lot of power in the lower tiers now that more's been confirmed. I'm liking it a bit more at least.

Not cool.

Strong Jaws and only Bite and Crunch to show for? Disappointing, other than the fact that Tyrantrum can run Dragon Dance.

However, the elemental fangs and poison fang can be learned from eggs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)