Pokémon Gengar

Status
Not open for further replies.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Mega Gengar is probably one of the few Mega Evolutions that doesn't mind the loss of an item. It's not far from the power output of Life Orb Gengar and its only competition is... Scarf Chandelure, which is weaker, has a worse typing and is locked to a single move
Not to mention that it's been confirmed that Litwick's hidden ability isn't Shadow Tag (what it is, though, slipped my mind) so that's not true competition either.

Alright, I've done a couple of things which should make this thread better:

1) Translated OP into english
2) Cleaned the formatting a bit
3) MEvo facts at the very top
4) Changed EV set to reflect Greninja's status as Spinner
5) HP Fire: Slashes in all attack set
6) Perish Song: Slashed in Hypnosis set
7) Added a set which depends on Taunt as it's main crux

I don't see a reason why there has to be any change from the standard subsplit set. It only gets better, as the increase in sp. atk offsets the power from Life Orb; Shadow Tag is only icing on the cake, being able to psuedo-Mean Look from behind a Substitute. This could also be said for the sub-disable set, since then, you could just Disable and lock them in.
On another note, I could see Sludge Bomb being used over Focus Blast on the aforementioned sets; with Steel-type no longer resisting Ghost, I (believe) it has pretty diverse, dual-STAB coverage.

Pretty sure the most reliable trapping set should be something like Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb / Taunt / Destiny Bond, with slight differences based on what you need to trap (Focus Blast for Ferrothorn/Heatran, Thunderbolt for bulky Water-types, etc). Destiny Bond combined with Taunt is a really great way to make sure you can take out anything (probably some wall or tank) keeping you from sweeping with a teammate. The best part about this set is that now that Ghost hits neutrally against Steel-types, Ghost/Poison has phenomenal neutral coverage, hitting everything barring Bisharp, Drapion, Krookodile, Skuntank, and Tyranitar for neutral damage or better. Hell, even without its mega stone, previous sets such as SubDisable and SubSplit just got that much more annoying because Sludge Bomb hits just a bit harder than Focus Blast against neutral targets (and comes with a really solid PSN chance), and Shadow Ball cleans out previous checks such as Jirachi and new things that would have been able to check it in BW such as Aegislash. Gengar pretty much gets better and better every generation, but in this generation, it just got nasty.

Though I don't want to predict tiers this early into a new game, if this thing isn't banned to Ubers with Shadow Tag and those monstrous attacking stats, I'll be very surprised. The only issues would be finding that turn to Mega Evolve and the fact that it takes up your team's slot for a Mega Evolved Pokemon.

TEzeon

I'm a ramblin gamblin dude!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm not entirely convinced this guy is Uber material just yet, though I will say that none of the other Shadow Tag trappers even come close to Gengar's versatility. I also feel like the +20 to both defense bases is being overlooked, as they could be relevant. Especially considering that with 130 base speed, investment in that becomes less of a priority. The loss of Levitate is also definitely a downer, and it will be interesting to see how well Gengar can cope without it. He has to Mega evolve pretty early on in the battle to take full advantage of Shadow Tag, and that could be difficult to do if it isn't an optimal move right away.

It just occurred to me to list Hex as a move within the Hypnosis set. I mean it now has 60 BP, dealing 120 off that sweet SPA is too good to pass by.

Mega Gengar will completely destroy slower Choiced mons. Let them kill themselves with struggle after you disable them.

Though I don't want to predict tiers this early into a new game, if this thing isn't banned to Ubers with Shadow Tag and those monstrous attacking stats, I'll be very surprised. The only issues would be finding that turn to Mega Evolve and the fact that it takes up your team's slot for a Mega Evolved Pokemon.
It doesn't take a turn to mega-evolve, you can still attack on the turn you mega-evolve.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
You're forgetting, if non-Mega Gengar faces a faster Pokemon (Choiced or otherwise), going Mega doesn't make it faster until the next turn. The speed stats at the start of the turn dictate turn order, regardless of stat changes (at least in Doubles and Triples, haven't tested in Singles).

Gengar learns Dazzling Gleam (Fairy SpA) via TM.
D) Fairy/Ghost:

Resisted by: Normal/Poison, Normal/Fire, Normal/Steel
Perfect Third Type Coverage: Water, Electric, etc.

So pretty much only Pyroar resists Shadow Ball + Dazzling Gleam. The noticeable changes by relying on those two only is Heatran becomes a 3HKO when Specially Defensive, and you lose the OHKO on slightly bulky Kyube, Tyranitar and Terrakion. On the other hand...

252 SpA Gengar Hidden Power Dragon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragonite: 214-252 (66.25 - 78.01%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

*HP Dragon used as substitute for Dazzling Gleam, BP adjusted to 80

So it gives you chance to clear away Dragons before they retaliate. The non missing factor can also come in handy with the Hypnosis set which doesn't tolerate misses at all, I'll slash it there thanks.

Last edited:
I wonder what the threat of Mega Evolution might do for regular Gengar. If it hits the field, your opponent has to respond immediately before verifying its item, which could force them into traps.

I wonder what the threat of Mega Evolution might do for regular Gengar. If it hits the field, your opponent has to respond immediately before verifying its item, which could force them into traps.
This is an excellent point. How does one manage the risk/reward of say allowing Gengar a free Substitute versus possibly losing a crucial pokemon? It's an interesting theory.

The deterrent of being trapped and then beaten by a stronger/faster Mega Gengar may make LO Gengar that much better of a lure...although this may depend on the speed mechanics of megaevolutions as alluded to above.

I'm also a bit surprised no one have thought of what I thought was an extremely obvious set possibility making use of Perish Song + Shadow Tag.

It seems far more effective if you are going the stall killer route to simply Perish Song, Sub and Protect and kill the mon off instantly.

This is an excellent point. How does one manage the risk/reward of say allowing Gengar a free Substitute versus possibly losing a crucial pokemon? It's an interesting theory.

The deterrent of being trapped and then beaten by a stronger/faster Mega Gengar may make LO Gengar that much better of a lure...although this may depend on the speed mechanics of megaevolutions as alluded to above.

I'm also a bit surprised no one have thought of what I thought was an extremely obvious set possibility making use of Perish Song + Shadow Tag.

It seems far more effective if you are going the stall killer route to simply Perish Song, Sub and Protect and kill the mon off instantly.
The problem with that is that Gengar can OHKO or 2HKO a lot of pokemon. What's the point of perish song if you can OHKO a lot of things? Gengar is also very frail. A lot of things can OHKO it. You are better off going Coverage + Destiny Bond.

The problem with that is that Gengar can OHKO or 2HKO a lot of pokemon. What's the point of perish song if you can OHKO a lot of things? Gengar is also very frail. A lot of things can OHKO it. You are better off going Coverage + Destiny Bond.
Mostly for walls.

And with its speed you should be able to stall your opponent out before he hits you.

Simply Sub, Protect, then switch....possibly with Pain Split to recover health.

Mostly for walls.

And with its speed you should be able to stall your opponent out before he hits you.

Simply Sub, Protect, then switch....possibly with Pain Split to recover health.
Is it confirmed that Eviolite works on pokemon that now get a "Mega Evolution"? If so that 50% increase to defence and Speical Defence will be amazing on "Gengar"

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is it confirmed that Eviolite works on pokemon that now get a "Mega Evolution"? If so that 50% increase to defence and Speical Defence will be amazing on "Gengar"
There is no evidence to support that theory, and considering mega evos aren't at all the same as normal evolutions, I highly doubt they'd get an eviolite boost.

There is no evidence to support that theory, and considering mega evos aren't at all the same as normal evolutions, I highly doubt they'd get an eviolite boost.
Yeah your probably correct, but to think if it does work is frightening! hopefully more people look into this and the sooner we find out

Looks like we might see choice scarf ditto to counter Mega Gengar. That'd be a hilarious sight to see, anyways. Of course you'll only be able to switch in Ditto after Mega Gengar KO's your initial Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)