Leech Seed
Rest
Earthquake
Rock Slide
X-Scissor
Trick Room
Nature Power
Analysis of Pokemon

When you first look at Trevenant, the first thing that you will notice is that it possesses a rare grass / ghost typing. With such a typing you will think one thing, and that is spin blocker. By having a ghost typing the notably job of Trevenant would probably be spin blocking. With its nice base 90 Hp, and 70 Def and 80 SpDef, it will do a pretty good job at taking hits. Its movepool is very unique, and most notably consisting of helpful moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Destiny Bond, Wood Hammer, Phantom Force, and etc. By possessing Destiny Bond it will do a great job at taking down spinners, and make keeping hazards up alot easier. It also possesses to good ability which are Harvest and Natural Cure. I don't know about you, but a spin blocker with Natural Cure would be hard to take down with a combination of rest. Not only that but with Harvest you can also run a set with Sitrus or Lum berry making it a very durable, spin blocking material. I really don't want to get in a fight with this thing.

Potential Movesets

Zombie Tree
Trevenant (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SDef / 176 Spd
Careful Nature
- Wood Hammer / Horn Leech
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

The name of this set is Zombie Tree, because with the combination of Rest and Natural Cure, it is almost impossible to take down. Will-O-Wisp allows you to cripple Physical attacking pokes, which are Trevenants biggest weakness, because his physical defense is not that good. Phantom Force is just an attack move on the set, and with the new mechanics you now hit steel types for neutral damage. You can also run Shadow Claw is you don't want to repeatedly get walled, by a dark type. Wood Hammer is the final attacking move and it does alot of damage to most thing with Trevenants base 110 attack with is nothing to laught at. This set is a very good and durable spin blocker that live for a long time threw out the match.

Steroid Tree
Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 120 Def / 252 HP / 132 Spe
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute / Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Claw

This set allows you to beat excadrill, since, you pretty much live all attacks from it and if it uses Iron Head, Max Atk, and Adamant nature, it will only do [252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 120+ Def (custom): 188-224 (50.26 - 59.89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO]
and then a sitrus berry will come and heal you and then you burn it. The speed allows you to outspeed standard Choice Band tar, and pretty much every set that has less than 180 speed, since, you hit 181 speed with this set. Leech Seed and Sitrus Berry makes this thing hard to take down, so if you run protect you have a chance to get Sitrus Berry back more often, though if you run Will-O-Wisp it is still extremely annoying and you can spam it until you get your berry. Will-O-Wisp lets you cripple Physical attackers, and Shadow Claw just gives you some form of attacking power.

Conclusion
I know there are more sets, but i need to test them out some more to see if they're worthy, however, the set above is the main set i have been testing and i must set it works rather well. Its pretty difficult to take down unless you're stupid enough to take a SE move straight to the face which is not that fun. Anyway i could use some more ideas, for sets if you have any.

Last edited:
This thing may need to be the new spin blocker if indeed Greninja shapes up to be the new Rapid Spinner. The deciding factor being if this thing can survive STAB Dark Pulse and return fire with Wood Hammer for the KO. How much does LO Dark Pulse do to this thing with max bulk?

Trevenant definitely beats Starmie - it can switch into ice beam and be guaranteed to take another while OHKOing Starmie with Wood Hammer (the recoil would kill
Trevenant, but it's usually worth it to keep stealth rocks up). However, it can't switch into Greninja - dark pulse does around 60%.

Trevenant definitely beats Starmie - it can switch into ice beam and be guaranteed to take another while OHKOing Starmie with Wood Hammer (the recoil would kill
Trevenant, but it's usually worth it to keep stealth rocks up). However, it can't switch into Greninja - dark pulse does around 60%.
You sure it can take 2 Ice Beams? What if there are entry hazards or any previous damage? Then at least probably not, and in 90 of 91 cases this will be the case, since you can't just wait for that specific scenario if you need to use it first.

I wish it would be better. At least with better defense, but with these stats it will be a really bad Pokemon, because it dies in 2 hits and is too slow to be kept alive for anything. :(

Also in doubles, Trevenant might be extremely viable. Forest's curse is great. Imagine that with Mega Charizard X (who might be flame charge or fire punch) in a double battles!

I do some calcs:

Detailed Result:
252 SpAtk Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Trevenant: 46.35% - 54.69%
Possible HP Damage: 178, 180, 182, 184, 186, 188, 190, 192, 194, 196, 200, 202, 204, 206, 208, 210

2-3 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

252 SpAtk Expert Belt Starmie Ice Beam vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Trevenat: 42.45% - 50.52%
Possible HP Damage: 163, 165, 168, 170, 172, 172, 175, 177, 180, 182, 182, 184, 187, 189, 192, 194

3 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

Done with the new base power of Ice Beam (90)

Edit: Starmie nature is Timid and Trevenant Careful in both cases

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Trevenant definitely has potential due to its ability to spinblock both Excadrill and Starmie, but I think that investing in some speed may be necessary. Otherwise, mons like Tyranitar and Scizor will just Pursuit it to death. Also, speed creeping things like Azumarill is always nice.

EVs: 252 HP / 80 SDef / 120 Spd
Careful Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

This should work - enough speed for Choice Band Scizor, and enough bulk to live a combination of Hydro Pump and Ice Beam from Starmie after Stealth Rock and Leftovers.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Trevenant is a really nice mix of Water-type switch-in and spinblocker. Checks many threatening and annoying Water-types (Keldeo, Tentacruel, Politoed, Rotom-W, Jellicent, Starmie) and makes for a good spinblocker, as it fares very well against Forretress, Starmie, and Donphan. Phantom Force shouldn't be on the main set though, it's bad and gives free setup turns. Shadow Claw and Shadow Sneak should be the Ghost-moves of choice on the SpD set. Rest + Natural Cure or Sitrus Berry + Harvest are going to be the most viable sets on this Pokemon imo. I have already tried out the SpD set with Natural Cure and it is great, and now i am really looking forward to trying out a Harvest + Sitrus Berry set with Horn Leech + Shadow Sneak / Shadow Claw + Leech Seed + WoW. A very interesting addition to the OU meta for sure, and a very fun Pokemon to use!

EDIT: SMB might be right about using some Speed EVs, as it does indeed help in dealing with many of the threats that could otherwise fuck you up. A little bit over 65 Base Speed (Scizor) seems to be the Speed benchmark that Trevenant would want to hit. It can't spinblock Excadrill though, which murders it with +2 Iron Head...

Scotti

we back.
Yeah i think adding more speed might help, though it will still have a hard time outspeeding some pokes with out losing some bulk. Though having some speed is can be a good thing against pokemon like azumarill, tyranitar or scizor. Also Sitrus Berry Activates at 50%, so it should be able Starmie and maybe even Greninja thanks to the health you restore from sitrus berry you might be able to live get enough health to survive 2 dark pulses. I think Yache Berry also has potential, though i find sitrus berry to be alot more helpful. Hmm yeah i think taking Phantom Force off and using Shadow Claw would be alot better. I have tried the sitrus set something, and i feel like it works out pretty good. Leech Seed hasn't been added to the PS moveset, but it learns it so you don't have to worry about that. Also it doesn't learn Shadow Sneak sadly, though it should. I've also tried to run a suicide custap set with destiny bond to kill spinners, but yeah don't try that....

I am going to put a mention on Yache Berry in here, and then i plan on adding a Sitrus Harvest set in a few minutes.

Edit:Also how do you think Power-Up Punch would work on it.

Power-Up Punch: Hitting a target raises attack by 1

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Trevenant definitely has potential due to its ability to spinblock both Excadrill and Starmie, but I think that investing in some speed may be necessary. Otherwise, mons like Tyranitar and Scizor will just Pursuit it to death. Also, speed creeping things like Azumarill is always nice.

Careful Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

This should work - enough speed for Choice Band Scizor, and enough bulk to live a combination of Hydro Pump and Ice Beam from Starmie after Stealth Rock and Leftovers.
I like the look of this set! Both Harvest and Natural Cure are wonderful abilities, and Trevenant actually has good HP (for a ghost) and decent defenses to use them with. Horn Leech might be a good choice over Wood Hammer to restore HP rather than lose more of it to residual damage, since his defensive stats aren't too amazing. He does have that great 120 base attack to use it with.

It will be interesting to see how he compares against his rival Gourgeist. Trevenant's excellent abilities are what really set him apart.

I like the look of this set! Both Harvest and Natural Cure are wonderful abilities, and Trevenant actually has good HP (for a ghost) and decent defenses to use them with. Horn Leech might be a good choice over Wood Hammer to restore HP rather than lose more of it to residual damage, since his defensive stats aren't too amazing. He does have that great 120 base attack to use it with.

It will be interesting to see how he compares against his rival Gourgeist. Trevenant's excellent abilities are what really set him apart.
Gourgeist will work probably more as a defensive spin-blocker but Tevenant will probably be better because it can take a hit and dish back SE damage on Greninja, Starmie, and Donphan which is always a plus especially coming off 120 attack.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for

Oh wow, I didn't even realize that it learns Horn Leech. Yeah, it's probably better than Wood Hammer then, but being able to hit things like Tentacruel harder is nice.

Scotti

we back.

Careful Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

I like this set alot better, then the one i posted. I will update it with spread, however, i have been running some more speed, so i can outspeed choice band ttar, though this one will work fine for now.

Also with the harvest set, After doing some calcs, i also found out that defeating Greninja will only work with max bulk or if you run a colbur berry to weak dark attack.

Yeah Horn Leech can also work, but Wood Hammer allows you to hit alot of other pokemon harder though horn leech can also work, though i found Horn Leech to be better with a Sitrus Harvest set for some reason.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yache Berry is not worth it. You need reliable recovery one way or another, which means either Rest + Natural Cure, Rest + Harvest + Chesto, or Harvest + Sitrus. Not having Lefties + not having reliable recovery + being slow as fuck + having many common weaknesses + being prone to all residual damage just can't work on a defensive Pokemon with the role of Trevenant. Except if you want to use a weird all out attacking set on Trick Room teams i guess, and you need a switch-in to Starmie without investing too much on Special Defense.

90/70/80 defenses aren't that satisfying for a Pokemon that's expected to sit there and spread status or block spins... Might be one thing if it had Recover or something, but as far as I know, it doesn't. And its Spe certainly isn't conducive to going on any offensive rampages with its 120 Atk.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Everyone seems focused in on 2 ideas: Either Natural Cure + Rest, or Harvest + Sitrus Berry.

Having used Sitrus-Harvest Exeggutor extensively in the lower tiers this gen, I can tell you that it is not reliable due to the fact that you're vulnerable to status, and Harvest only activates 50% of the time outside of sun.

And while using Rest alongside Natural Cure is absolutely wonderful recovery, it still leaves you no choice but to switch out on the next turn. So here's a way to combine both strategies:

Trevenant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
Careful Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

And viola, just like that, you're now effectively immune to status, and can instantly restore both status and max HP by using Rest. Rest will activate the berry, and Harvest will recover it. You'll be status free, ready to strike back the next turn instead of being forced out the next turn like the Natural Cure version.

This is the strategy I settled on with Exeggutor in NU, and it blows away the other options. I think it would be Trevenant's best bet as well!

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
After testing I've personally found tree dude to be too frail to pull off the Rest Natural Cure set on a consistent basis. Against more Defensive teams it works pretty well, which is nice since keeping Defensive teams from Spinning is a key to victory in many cases. However, against Offensive teams, which there have been a lot of with all of the new threats, I am rarely ever in a situation where I am able to get a meaningful Rest off. Plus since it is often switching into attacks to spinblock I think instant Recovery in the form of Sitrus Berry would be much more beneficial. Leech Seed and Toxic both seem like nice options to use over Rest as well.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure there is no reason to use this thing over Jellicent. It still gets 2hko'd by LO Analytic Starmie and it doesn't provide any extra meaningful resistances outside of Electric, while Jellicent resists Fire and Ice and is immune to Water. Plus Jellicent has more reliable recovery.

Last edited:
I've been using an offensive lum set to mixed success. It's very effective against slower bulky teams but any kind of proper offensive mon will out speed and likely ohko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)