Pokémon Scizor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Scizor

Pokedex Number - #212
Type(s) - Steel / Bug

Base Stats (Scizor - Mega Scizor)
HP - 70 - 70
Atk - 130 - 150
Def - 100 - 140
SpA - 55 - 65
SpD - 80 - 100
Speed - 65 - 75

Abilities

Swarm - When a Pokémon with Swarm uses a Bug type move, the power will increase by 1.5× if the user has less than or equal to ⅓ of its maximum HP remaining.

Technician - Technician increases the base power of all moves which have a base power of 60 or less by 1.5×.

Light Metal (Hidden ability) - The user's weight is halved. This decreases the damage taken from Low Kick and Grass Knot, increases the damage taken from Heavy Slam and Heat Crash, and also lowers user's base power of Heavy Slam and Heat Crash, due to these moves being calculated by the target and user's weight.

Moves

- Level Up Moves -
- TMs / HMs -
- Egg Moves -
- New moves are yet to be confirmed -

Notable Moves
Bullet Punch, U-turn, Pursuit, Super Power, Swords Dance, Acrobatics, Roost, Quick Attack, Bug Bite, Iron Head, Baton Pass, Iron Defense, Brick Break, Defog

General Analysis of Pokemon

Scizor has been one of the best Pokemon in the past two generations. This is mainly due to Scizor's typing, bulk, attack stat, ability, and good movepool. Scizor has the most powerful U-turn in OU, as U-turn gets a STAB boost and comes off of Scizor's impressive base 130 attack stat. Scizor also has access to Bullet Punch, a powerful priority move when boosted by Technician. Pursuit also allows Scizor to check dangerous special attackers, like Latios, Celebi, and Starmie. Apart from acting as a revenge killer, scout, and momentum gainer, Scizor can also run a really nice Swords Dance set. Acrobatics can help Scizor muscle through common checks, like Tentacruel and Jellicent, while Roost makes a bulky SD set very viable. Scizor can also be part of a Baton Pass chain, thanks to it's good typing, bulk, and access to key moves like Iron Defense and Swords Dance.

With generation 6, Scizor got buffs and nerfs. Scizor gained a Mega Evolution, allowing it to run a much bulkier Swords Dance set, with it's boost in both Special and Physical defense. For offensive sets however, you'll want to keep Scizor as it as. On one hand, it's Bullet Punch STAB is more important than ever, as it hits the new Fairy type for Super Effective damage. On the other hand, Steel lost two resistances this generation (Dark and Ghost), meaning Scizor can't switch into the likes of Gengar and Tyranitar as much as it'd like. With Drizzle receiving a huge nerf, Scizor will no longer be able to tank stray HP fires from Celebi and Latias, but with the nerf of Hidden Power, it might become non-exsistant. I still think Scizor is going to be a top OU Pokemon, but only time will tell.

Potential Movesets

name: Choice Band
move 1: U-turn
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Pursuit / Quick Attack
ability: Technician
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef

Scizor is a great Choice Banded user, mainly because of it's typing, attack stat, and access to useful moves. U-turn gains momentum in the form of switch advantage, and works nicely with Scizor's low Speed stat. Bullet Punch allows Scizor to pick off Pokemon like Terrakion, Latios, and Gengar. Superpower offers coverage for Scizor, as it hits Steel types like Magnezone and Heatran for super effective damage, who would otherwise wall this set. Pursuit allows Scizor to trap Pokemon like Celebi, Latios, and Starmie, eliminating them from the game completely, however, Quick Attack is an option to pick off Gyarados, Keldeo, Thundurus-T, and Volcarona. EVs are used to max attack and bulk.

name: Offensive Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Acrobatics / Bug Bite
item: Flying Gem / Life Orb
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Scizor can also run a really nice Swords Dance set. This set allows Scizor to muscle past it's usual checks, like SpDef Heatran, Tentacruel, and Jellicent. Swords Dance is used to boost Scizor's attack to very respectable levels. Bullet Punch offers strong priority, allowing Scizor to sweep through faster Pokemon like Latios and Gengar. Super Power again offers coverage, nailing Magnezone and Heatran. Finally, Acrobatics when boosted by Flying Gem can OHKO Jellicent, Tentacruel, and severally dent Landorus-T and Hippowdon. Bug Bite is an option for it's consistency, as Acrobatics is only useful to wall break once, meaning timing has to be perfect. A Life Orb should be used if you plan to use Bug Bite. EVs are used to max speed and power.

name: Bulky Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Roost
move 3: Bullet Punch
move 4: Bug Bite
item: Scizornite
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD

Scizor also gains a Mega Evolution, which is more bulkier than normal Scizor. With access to Roost, great defensive typing, and nice bulk, Scizor can pull off a bulky Swords Dance set nicely. With HP and SpDef investment, Scizor can often find opportunities to start setting up. The investment allows Scizor to easily tank Draco Meteor's and Focus Blast's from Reuniclus and Latios. Swords Dance boost's Scizor's attack, and after two or three boosts, it's hard to stop Scizor from sweeping. Roost keeps Scizor nice and healthy as it sets up, and allows Scizor to act as a tank mid game for special attackers. Bullet Punch is STAB and offers nice general coverage, while Bug Bite is also STAB and and has consistent power and accuracy.

Counters & Checks

Fire types hit Scizor for x4 damage, as well as resisting both Bullet Punch and U-turn. This makes them nice switch in's in general. Heatran, Infernape, Ninetales, and Volcarona can all easily force Scizor out. Bulky Water types can handle most Scizor sets, but much watch out for boosted Acrobatics. Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Gyarados can usually beat Scizor one on one. Bulky Steel and Ground types can often shrug of Scizor's attacks and phaze Scizor out or outright KO it. Skarmory, Hippowdon, Gliscor, and Landours-T are all options. Finally, Pokemon that are faster than Scizor and resist Bullet Punch can easily revenge kill Scizor. Keldeo, Starmie, Thundurus-T, Jolteon, and Choice Scarf Politoed can all revenge kill Scizor.

Personal Opinion and Conclusion

I think Scizor is going to remain a top threat in the OU metagame. It's also going to probably be using the same sets it's been using for the past two generations, mainly because they are so good at what they do. Losing a resistance to Ghost and Dark type attacks does hinder Scizor's usefulness somewhat, but being able to hit Fairy types for Super Effective damage can possibly make up for it. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
There is a Mega Scizor you know? Not sure if Mega Scizor is more superior then Standard Scizor but as far as I know its going to be a big threat.

There is a Mega Scizor you know? Not sure if Mega Scizor is more superior then Standard Scizor but as far as I know its going to be a big threat.
It only has increased bulk, offenses are not high enough to pick it over Life Orb/Choice Band/Choice Scarf versions. Base 70/150/140/65/100/75 - Those are MegaScizor stats. It only has increased attack by 20 points, which isn't enough to outdamage normal Scizor wearing offensive item with slightly higher speed (which doesn't help that much), although difference in bulk is noticeable (+20 SpD, +40 Defense), so bulkier sets (like Bulky Swords Dance, Defensive Roost sets) will probably be pulled off better by MegaScizor. But for offensive ones - just use normal Scizor, especially Choice Band.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Imo, bulky Swords Dance Scizor should always be using Scizornite, unless you want to use another MEvo of course. It is stronger, bulkier, and faster. Here are the stats of 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD Scizor: 344 HP / 336 Atk / 236 Def / x / 250 SpD / 166 Spe. And here are the stats of Mega Scizor with the same spread: 344 HP / 380 Atk / 316 Def / x / 290 SpD / 186. The most notable thing is the huge Defense increase, which allows Scizor to become a good switch-in to Terrakion, Choice Band Tyranitar, Mamoswine, and Breloom (assuming Sleep Clause is activated), as well as counter Choice Band Kyurem-B with the right EV spread. So Mega Scizor won't only be a special tank, it will also be a physical one, greatly improving his setup chances. The Hidden Power Fire nerf favors this set as well, as some Pokemon may be less willing to use it, but the Drizzle nerf is bad news for Scizor, which loved being able to take stray Hidden Power Fire for less than 50% damage. Overall, i think that Scizor will be as good as always, with classic sets such as Choice Band never losing their overall value and utility for a team, and solid but less used sets such as the bulky swords dance set gaining new tools and becoming better.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'll admit, I completely forgot about Scizor's MEvo, but I've updated the OP incuding Mega Scizor. Thanks for providing the stats.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Scizor is surprisingly one of the pokemon that will see little or no change in usage philosophy even with a MEvo, Everything worth buffing was buffed and it can easily replace LO pure offensive SD albeit with a marginal power decrease made up for with that marvellous Special tankiness, utilizing it's excellent Steel/Bug typing.

The only significant loss imo is that you cannot run MEvo+Acrobatics together, which leaves scizor still checked by it's usual counters.
Chances are you'll choose another more utilitarian mega evo over this.

Fury cutter I think will gain usage for once through Scizor this Generation. It's been increased from 20BP at the start to 40 so right off the bat it's as strong as Bullet Punch reaching 90BP thanks to Technician and STAB then doubling over and over. I see this becoming semi-viable or a useful gimmick that deserves some mention.

Fury cutter I think will gain usage for once through Scizor this Generation. It's been increased from 20BP at the start to 40 so right off the bat it's as strong as Bullet Punch reaching 90BP thanks to Technician and STAB then doubling over and over. I see this becoming semi-viable or a useful gimmick that deserves some mention.
I don't see it getting any use at all honestly, u-turn is such a great move, and if you want a move you can stay in and use I'd stick with bug bite, which is 60BP before technician and STAB. It isnt as strong on the 2nd use but bug has so many resists (fairy!) that I don't think scizor will be spamming bug stab over and over.

Heh guys, I'm trying to breed for my own bulky Mega Scizor, and I need help with Roost and Bullet Punch. Does anyone know how it learns it in 6th Gen? Can it be taught via the Move Relearner, or do I have to breed for them?

It's worth mentioning that over the course of two turns, Fury Cutter will do the same total damage as two Bug Bites. It only really gets an advantage if you're able to use it three times in a row, which will never happen. Unless you're already in so much control of the battle that you have no chance of losing in the first place.

Heh guys, I'm trying to breed for my own bulky Mega Scizor, and I need help with Roost and Bullet Punch. Does anyone know how it learns it in 6th Gen? Can it be taught via the Move Relearner, or do I have to breed for them?
Bullet Punch could only be taunt to Scizor through the move relearner in Gen 5, so it's likely the same in Gen 6. Roost can probably be taught to it through TM19, but I forget where you obtain it.

Something to note about Scizor: Knock Off now has 55 Base Power, which puts it at 82.5 after a Technician boost. This means it does more damage than Night Slash AND removes the opponent's item. I'm not sure how often Scizor used Night Slash in Gen 5, but it could be very useful now for damaging bulky Ghosts while simultaneously removing their Leftovers.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
With all the changes of this Gen, Scizor is one of those pokemon who is going to stay comfortably in the same roles. While his Mega evo may help his bulky SD set his signature CB set looks like it will be as important as always. With all the new Fairy-types running around, Scizor's Bullet Punch has more targets than ever.

But at the same time, there are new threats like Aegislash, who completely walls Scizor and is looking to be a large threat. As DDRMaster stated, Knock Off is going to be an excellent move on Scizor this gen as it will not only provide great utility and power, but also allow him to get past Aegislash.

Something to note about Scizor: Knock Off now has 55 Base Power, which puts it at 82.5 after a Technician boost. This means it does more damage than Night Slash AND removes the opponent's item. I'm not sure how often Scizor used Night Slash in Gen 5, but it could be very useful now for damaging bulky Ghosts while simultaneously removing their Leftovers.
According to the main X/Y data collection thread, Knock Off has 65 Base Power, which puts it out of Technician range. Source: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokémon-xy-data-collection.3489182/#post-4867541

Yeah, the 55 BP was false. There is photo evidence of 65 base power... in addition to its power doubling when the opponent is holding an item. So it is still a huge buff, and Scizor could certainly put it to use.

Yeah, the 55 BP was false. There is photo evidence of 65 base power... in addition to its power doubling when the opponent is holding an item. So it is still a huge buff, and Scizor could certainly put it to use.
Ah I guess I should just stick to Smogon rather than Serebi for this stuff. And its power doubling is huge considering everything runs an item and even if they don't have an item, it's only 5 BP less than Night Slash, which is many Pokemon's best Dark option.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Unfortunately the 5th gen mechanics of ghost / dark hitting steels neutrally really hurt scizor. Scizor is now 2hko'd by gengar who will be a lot more popular thanks to his mega evo (before gengarnite gets banned hehe) and its ghost/poison coverage. The Mega EVo should really help it out however. the bulky scizornite set is gonna be the most popular initially imo. Its bulk is incredible, taking like 30% from a Max attack Landorus-T EQ.

One thing to note in the OP is that, Aegislash is a great answer to scizor in general and i could see Scizors start to run night slash to deal with them.

Knock off has 65 natural base power and 130 on any Pokemon holding an item and then makes the target drop the item?! That's absurdly strong. The double power is confirmed?

Unfortunately the 5th gen mechanics of ghost / dark hitting steels neutrally really hurt scizor. Scizor is now 2hko'd by gengar who will be a lot more popular thanks to his mega evo (before gengarnite gets banned hehe) and its ghost/poison coverage. The Mega EVo should really help it out however. the bulky scizornite set is gonna be the most popular initially imo. Its bulk is incredible, taking like 30% from a Max attack Landorus-T EQ.

One thing to note in the OP is that, Aegislash is a great answer to scizor in general and i could see Scizors start to run night slash to deal with them.
I think Knock Off would be a better option in terms of dealing with Aegislash, since many will be relying on Leftovers for recovery. 130 base damage and the loss of its lefties will make people think twice before switching Aegislash in on him.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
I think Knock Off would be a better option in terms of dealing with Aegislash, since many will be relying on Leftovers for recovery. 130 base damage and the loss of its lefties will make people think twice before switching Aegislash in on him.
But what set do you plan on using this on? The Choice Band set has no room for it, the bulky SD set as no room for it, and the Offensive SD set as no room for it. I dunno, it just doesn't seem like getting past Aegislash is something Scizor should be worrying about.

But what set do you plan on using this on? The Choice Band set has no room for it, the bulky SD set as no room for it, and the Offensive SD set as no room for it. I dunno, it just doesn't seem like getting past Aegislash is something Scizor should be worrying about.
Honestly, if anyone would run a Scizor that can act as a counter to Aegislash than I think a bulky set would work best. Even though steel has lost its resistance to ghost, Scizor can still live a Shadow Sneak and hit back with Knock Off. You would have to forego Knock Off over either Bullet Punch or Bug Bite, so you would have to have a good teammate that can synergize well enough with him to where the loss of the chosen move doesn't effect your teams overall coverage.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
Why not just use a team mate that can deal with Aegislash and let Scizor do what he does best? I don't understand what's so important about dealing with one specific Pokemon. Besides, even running Knock Off doesn't really counter Aegislash, I don't see what you're trying to say.

Why not just use a team mate that can deal with Aegislash and let Scizor do what he does best? I don't understand what's so important about dealing with one specific Pokemon. Besides, even running Knock Off doesn't really counter Aegislash, I don't see what you're trying to say.
I'm saying that Knock Off from Scizor will royally screw over the predicted Aegislash switch in. It's always nice when a Pokemon can counter its own counter, and I'm just saying Scizor potentially has the tools to do so.

You guys keep talking about counter Aegislash with Scizor and forget that it has Kings Shield and can easily run HP fire.

You guys keep talking about counter Aegislash with Scizor and forget that it has Kings Shield and can easily run HP fire.
It can't use King's Shield on the switch-in, though.

Say, what happens if Knock Off hits a Mega or something else with a locked item?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)