Pokedex #184
Type: Water / Fairy
Base Stats:
100 HP / 50 Atk / 80 Def / 50 SAtk / 80 SDef / 50 Spe​

Abilities:

Huge Power:
The power of the Pokémon’s attacks is doubled
Thick Fat: Fire and Ice-type moves deal 50% damage
Sap Sipper (hidden): Attack is raised by one stage when the Pokémon is hit by a Grass-type move. User receives no damage from Grass-type attacks.

Level up moves as for Generation V can be found here
TMs and HMs compatibility can be found here
Egg moves can be found here

New Moves:

Play Rough
- Type: Fairy / 90 BP / 90% Acc / Physical / Can lower opponent's attack
(will be updated as it's researched)

Notable Moves:
Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Play Rough, Superpower, Return, Double-Edge, Ice Punch (tutor move), Substitute, Belly Drum, Aqua Tail, Focus Punch (Gen IV TM)
Overview

Yet Azumarill was one of the selected few Pokemon to gain the brand-new Fairy type, it remains largely the same, if not better. Backed up by 100 / 80 / 80 defenses, its unique Water/Fairy typing grants very welcomed resistances to Fire, Water, Ice, Bug, Fighting and Dark and a very important immunity to Dragon. Azumarill's new type comes with a potent move, Play Rough, which is a 135 physical move factoring STAB that can lower opponent's Attack, which is useful aganst switch-insand doesn't let it helpless against bulky Waters. Let's not forget about his old moves, namely reliable priority in Aqua jet, powerful Water STAB in Waterfall, and Ferrothorn catcher in Superpower. However, this new generation brought some problems to the powerful aqua bunny. Rain is not eternal anymore, which severely reduces the power its Water STAB moves. Azumarill also remains weak to Electric and Grass moves (unless you wish to use Sap Sipper... you don't, right?) and now also by Poison attacks. Azumarill's low Speed is also a letdown, especially if the foe is not weak to Aqua Jet and can damage it hard in return. Nonetheless, Azumarill changed to good to better, and is surely a solid pick in this new metagame.
Potential sets:

All-out Attacker
move 1: Aqua Jet
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Waterfall | Aqua Tail
move 4: Superpower
ability: Huge Power
item: Choice Band | Splash Plate
nature: Adamant Nature
evs: 168 HP | 252 Atk | 4 Def | 84 Spe (courtesy of Sidakarya)

Cute looks can be decieving. Azumarill is all about power coming from 432 natural Attack, and this set is the best to show that off. Aqua Jet is a powerful priority move that can pick off fast Pokemon such as Volcarona, Gengar, Alakazam and Terrakion. Play Rough is its strongest STAB along Aqua Tail and, while a bit innacurate, lets Azumarill deal with some bulky waters like Jellicent, Politoed, Gastrodon and Gyarados. Waterfall is the reliable Water-type STAB, powerful and accurate, and is even better if using in Rain, where most things that don't resist (even some that do) are at least 2HKOed. Aqua Tail can be used, but the 10% less accuracy will be often worse than a 10% more power. Finally, Superpower lets Azumarill do what most Water-types would kill and rape their own mothers for being able to: Smashing Ferrothorn. Choice Band lets Azumarill destroy everything at the cost of being locked in a move. If versatility matters more than sheer power for you, Splash Plate can be used as a nice lure, at the cost of some important 2HKOs.

The ev spread makes sue that Azumarill will outspeed uninvested Jellicent by one point while maintaning a good amount bulk. Azumarill needs some Pokemon removed such as defensive Grass- and Poison-types that resist Aqua Jet and faster Electric- and Grass-types. Latios and Life Orb Latias are good partner, since it can come in Grass and Electric moves and retaliate back with a powerful special move of choice. The Lati twins have excellent defensive synergy with Azumarill too. Gothitelle is also a nice parter because its ability to trap troublesome Pokemon such as Tentacruel and Celebi and kill them with Psyshock and Signal Beam respectiely. Ferrothorn pairs nicely with Azumarill because not only because it lays entry hazards that eases with the aqua rabbit's cleaning, but also resists Electric and Grass and is immune to Poison, and Azumarill can take the Fire and Fighting moves aimed at the metal plant.

Checks and Counters

Besides Shedinja and Qwilfish, there aren't true Azumarill counters viable in the OU metagame. The closest thing are Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur since they are only 3HKOed by Choice Band Waterfall in rain and resists all of its common moves unless it runs Double-Edge or Ice Punch, and retaliate back with Giga Drain or Sludge Bomb. Tentacruel and Dragalge are 2HKOed by rain-boosted Water moves, but can do consistent damage by hitting Azumarill with Sludge Bomb. Revenge killing Azumarill is generally the best method to take it down, and Pokemon not weak to Aqua Jet that can unleash powerful super-effective moves work. The list include but it's not limited to Choice Band Kyurem-B, Heliolisk and Breloom. The lack of recovery also hampers Azumarill, so bulky Pokemon that can hit it super effectively or cripple without being OHKOed such as Rotom-W, physically defensive Zapdos or Jellicent are nice checks. If Azumarill is not locked in Aqua Jet, Mega Gengar can come and kill with Sludge Wave. When the rain turns are out, it's much easier to counter the aqua rabbit, but remember that it still hits extremely hard, choiced or not.
Closing Words

Azumarill really appreciates is new typing, giving him a new hope at life. Yet the rain nerf and the birth of powerful Mega Pokemon such as Mega Garchomp and Mega Gengar are horns in its little blue feet, Azumarill can still hold its own in the XY OU, being bulky and powerful at the same time. The set listed above will probably be the main set but do you think there will be others? If yes, which? Maybe a set consisting of Sap Sipper? Perish Trapper with Whirlpool? Do you think Azumarill will be metagame defining, a powerful threat, or just a niche UU mon again?

Last edited:
I think Azumarill will be a very good pokemon in gen 6. Water/Fairy typing is amazing, both offensively and defensively. The only OU mon that can wall azumarill is tentacruel, who will drop in usage because of the rain nerf.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You forgot Celebi as an Azumarill counter, as with it forfeiting Ice Punch for Rough Play it can't 2HKO Celebi reliably anymore. Also, Azumarill may want to use Speed EVs to outrun and 2HKO Jellicent before it manages to burn it.

I think that Azumarill will be very good this gen, maybe not a top tier ou mon, but certainly worthy of a spot. It's new ability to counter many of the dominant gen 5 threats such as Keldeo and the outrage dragons will make it extremely valuable.

I think it's a little too early to tell how Azumarill will be, but I don't see Tentacruel dropping all that much. It's still probably going to be one of the most reliable spinners available in OU, and you also have to remember that if Fairy-types become really dominant, Tentacruel's Poison-typing is definitely going to be useful. But who knows? Azumarill definitely sounds like it's going to be the most effective of the old-Pokemon-turned-Fairy though! Only thing really going against it is the Drizzle nerf, which really probably won't prove to be that big of a deal.

It's a great check to Salamence and Dragonite and completely stops Keldeo (who needs a weak HP Electric to get past it), which would make its use go up all by itself. Along with Togekiss, I think it's one of the most viable fairies in OU.

EDIT: By the way, 84 Spe EVs outspeeds no-speed Jellicent. So, 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 84 Spe.

If you guys haven't been aware yet, there's this cool new item called "ability capsule" that allows a Pokemon to switch its abilities during battle.
Are you sure that's a held item? By the wording on Serebii and everything I've seen of it before I don't think it is. Would be a really cool one though, especially on mons like Ursaring with Quick Feet and Guts. Best of both worlds! (Edit: Wait then it can't hold Toxic Orb...welp lol.)

I think Azumarill will be pretty great in Gen VI, however, it didn't even make OU last gen with the huge boost that rain gave to its usefulness (though I'm sure it's still pretty good in OU actually). Time will tell if Fairy STAB is good enough to push Azumarill over the edge. It's very nice, but Azumarill has always had Ice Punch to deal with Dragons. It does boast a Dragon immunity and decent bulk with exciting new resistances to U-Turn and Fighting moves (though Fighting types don't look to be so hot this gen besides Lucario).

I predict Azumarill will do similarly to how it did in Gen V, usable in OU but probably UU.

Power-up punch could be worth a look. Azumarill has the defenses to make use of it, and a one-two combo of power up punch and then aqua jet could surprise KO a lot of things.

Apparently I haven't posted for such a long time my profile pic turned into a Minun! xD

Azumarill, if anyone remembers me, is my favorite pokemon. With the inclusion of not one perfect counter, but two perfect counters in the form of Nattorei(Ferrothorn) and Water/Ghost blob thingy made it unusable without subjecting it to something like Aqua Jet/Sub/Toxic/Focus Punch... Gen VI, however, has a lot more going for it with the inclusion of the new fairy type.

It actually has so much going for it that now there isn't a best moveset for it as far as I can see. For anyone who hasn't tried it, I recommend Aqua Tail over Waterfall for the extra power as Azumarill is too slow for the flinch and even though you can miss(which sucks), you find yourself 2HKOing things such as Skarmory that skimps a bit on defense EVs.

I think the same spread of 252 Attack, 248 HP, and 4 in each defense is the best way to go about EVing Azumarill(when holding a choice band), but what moves to use is a slightly more difficult choice. Guaranteed moves include Aqua Jet(the main reason you use Azumarill) and Play Rough, which lets you bypass a lot of its old counters(unless I am mistaken, it will 2HKO Celebi) and givens you an option to the ghosty water-balloon. I would really like to use Aqua tail over Ice Punch, and then fighting move over normal move. So my set looks like:

Azumarill @ Choice band
Huge Power: Adamant
248 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Defense, 4 Sp. Defense
Aqua Tail
Play Rough
Superpower/ Focus Punch/ Brick Break
Aqua Jet

I wouldn't agree that Tentacruel walls this since rain is limited, and in rain it can't tank boosted Aqua Tails and out of it it just eventually dies first to that or play rough. Everything else is pretty handled; bulky waters that double-edge covered are handled by Play Rough, and it also covers dragons like mence.

Overall my initial opinion of her is she will fit as well into the metagame as fairy's do. Regardless, she is finally usable again and I am damn happy about that by itself!

Coming fresh from the Heliolisk thread, I thought I should mention that Heliolisk with Dry Skin will get an immunity to aqua jet and quite possibly be able to OKO Azumarill back due to its high special attack. Might need some testing, but Heliolisk also goes down really hard to Super power. I expect to see it switched in a lot as an answer to Aqua Jet though.

That's a thing... but it isn't really safe to come in with. You can be gutsy vs Aqua jets like you mentioned, but play rough or any fighting move will decimate it.

Toxicroak does a little bit better, only needing to fear Play Rough

that's true, I forgot that Toxicroak's poison type STAB is now hitting SE against Azumarill.

Still, I think Heliolisk has the potential to put out a lot more hurt than Toxicroak right off the bat, especially if electric terrain is up and boosting its electric moves. Thunder in rain is a lot more reliable than Gunk Shot accuracy-wise and a lot stronger than poison jab. If it's using Parabolic Charge it can heal off entry hazards too.

Either way it may pay off to predict a switch with Play Rough rather than trying to go for aqua jet for teams that have these pokemon.

Speaking of 'perish trapper with whirlpool', residual damage moves like whirlpool got buffed this gen. Maybe a Thick Fat bulky Azumarill with whirlpool, Toxic, and Aqua Ring could do something...

Last edited:
Aqua Jet is now compatible with Belly Drum on our favorite water critter so...yeah. +6 to what is basically Base 150 Attack. I don't even know what to think about that lol.

Bellyzurill is going to be the single most powerful cleaner ever. No physical wall can stand in its path:
+6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Ferrothorn: 289-341 (82.1 - 96.87%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Spikes
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 429-505 (106.45 - 125.31%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 294-346 (72.95 - 85.85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 433-510 (132.41 - 155.96%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 433-510 (122.31 - 144.06%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+5 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 349-411 (88.8 - 104.58%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Revenge killing is barely an option. Aqua jet will destroy the likes of thundurus-t, jolteon, alakazam and others who think they can take advantage of a 50% health azumarill. Even aqua jet resists arent safe. Latios is taking 80%ish, an easy ko after two switches in stealth rocks (or even just one, if you get max damage rolls). This is truly a monster, the only real problem here is that you need to make sure that the opponent wont do more than 50% damage to you on the turn you setup. However, thanks to its good bulk and excellent defensive typing, azumarill will find plenty of opportunities to setup, specially on dragon types.

Holy crap, it's Arti! Seems I'm not the only user coming back now that the days are changing.

And the way it works is as such:

STEP ONE: Breed Aqua Jet onto Azumarril. Serebii Sez Kabutops can do this, and he's in Gen6 already. Get a FEMALE Marril out of it.
STEP TWO: Breed Belly Drum onto Azumarril. Polis AREN'T HERE YET, but there is a chain available - Snorlax to Slowpoke to Marril. The mechanics now allow both the Mother AND the Father to pass Egg Moves, so the baby Marril will know both.

Hello Mattman. Your name seems familiar, but I can't put anything to it exactly.

Azumarill seems pretty OU / BL material this gen, though. I am happy for that.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 171-202 (42.32 - 50%) -- 0.39% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 193-228 (47.77 - 56.43%) -- 84.38% chance to 2HKO

This is vs Mew btw, but it gives you an idea of damage output vs Celebi with rough play, as well as a generic calculation to show how strong Azumarill is with the extra base power. Let us add SR.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 193-228 (47.77 - 56.43%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 171-202 (42.32 - 50%) -- 92.58% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Technically your chance is higher with Waterfall since including accuracy you only have a 81% chance to 2HKO, give little bit with crit netting the guaranteed 2HKO(I almost said OHKO guys)

Eh, you probably wouldn't remember me from anywhere specific, unless you were around at the early days in Gen 4 when we restructured UU entirely.

Also, that's just a Choice Band against things we already know. I want to see what it can do with Fairy moves to stuff, or what we can accomplish with BD Aqua Jet (would that be more powerful than CB Waterfall? It should be.)

You say "things we already know", but in this same thread someone mentioned that Celebi walled Azumarill without Ice Punch so I thought I would bring it up.

I was around during that time, actually. How do you remember me(it might be warstories... most likely warstories).

Also, that's just a Choice Band against things we already know. I want to see what it can do with Fairy moves to stuff, or what we can accomplish with BD Aqua Jet (would that be more powerful than CB Waterfall? It should be.)
Assuming an otherwise constant Attack stat and STAB, CB Waterfall would have an effective power of 120 (80 BP *1.5 CB), while Aqua Jet would have an effective power of 160 (40 BP * 4 BD). And this, of course, is assuming no item bonus for the BD set. I'm not sure if Leftovers or something would be ideal, but if going with an offensive item, it could take a Splash Plate and go up to 192 power.

You could just say Aqua Jet = 1 and Waterfall = 2 to give us some easy percentages of power.

2(Waterfall) * 1.5(CB) = 3
1(Aqua Jet) * 4(+6Atk) = 4

So Belly Drum aqua jet has approximately 33% more power... but I would like to point out that CB Waterfall has 75% of that power, which is still a lot considering you don't lose HP or anything for threatening with CB Aqua Jet and throwing it out instead.

9 * 1.5 = 13.5
4 * 4 = 16

Now we go up to 83.75% power and 18.51851851851... % more power, which is a lot less with Rough Play/Aqua Tail... How 10 Base power makes a difference

Warstories, yeah, but also some other random stuff.
I don't think Azumarril wants to miss in the CB set or the BD set. BD is obvious, but his speed is low enough that your HP, high as it is, could be taxed already. So despite the power, I'd pass on Aqua Tail.

Holy crap, it's Arti! Seems I'm not the only user coming back now that the days are changing.

And the way it works is as such:

STEP ONE: Breed Aqua Jet onto Azumarril. Serebii Sez Kabutops can do this, and he's in Gen6 already. Get a FEMALE Marril out of it.
STEP TWO: Breed Belly Drum onto Azumarril. Polis AREN'T HERE YET, but there is a chain available - Snorlax to Slowpoke to Marril. The mechanics now allow both the Mother AND the Father to pass Egg Moves, so the baby Marril will know both.
There are Poliwhirls in Safari btw

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I still think Choice Band is still a good option just for the initial power alone, though Mystic Water + Belly Drum has the ability to predict around opponents while still having a hard-hitting Aqua Jet. In any case, I think this should be the Belly Drum set of choice:

name: Belly Drum
move 1: Aqua Jet
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Waterfall / Superpower (assuming it's legal)
move 4: Belly Drum
item: Mystic Water / Lum Berry
nature: Adamant
ability: Huge Power
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

Really, the point of this set first and foremost is to revenge kill threats with Aqua Jet; you can save your Belly Drumming shenigans for later due to the amount of obstacles Azumarill may encounter early-game. But when you do get an opportunity (thanks to the large amount of defensive or just plain weak-hitting Pokemon there are presently), +6 Aqua Jet is absolutely terrifying. The only questions to consider is the use of Waterfall or SuperPower (the latter allows you to bypass Ferrothorn, while the former pretty much powers through any other bulky Steel-type), and the use of Mystic Water or Lum Berry to boost power or to set up on defensive Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)