Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sticky Web
20 -- --The user weaves a sticky net around the opposing team, which lowers their Speed stat upon switching into battle.

Sticky web is a single turn use entry hazard akin to stealth rock. When a pokemon switches in their speed is dropped by one stage. How much of an effective will this have on the metagame?

Known facts.
Learned by: Ariados, Galvantula, Shuckle, Smeargle, masquerin, and leavanny
It can only be removed by rapid spinning it away.
Doesn't effect levitaters/flying pokemon.
It is a direct speed drop so it triggers abilities like defiant, contrary, etc while abilities like clear body negate the drop completely.

Last edited:
Ariados gets Sticky Web as well. I wouldn't use it over Smeargle, but just something to note.

I can see Sticky Web being very useful on offensive teams because the Speed control is such a nice thing to have. Sticky Web neutering Choice Scarf Pokemon and allowing offensive teams to outspeed an annoying fast Pokemon has obvious uses, and could easily make a huge difference over the course of the battle. I can see otherwise mediocre Pokemon such as Smeargle or Galvantula (assuming it gets this because) becoming very popular just because of the amazing advantage Spider Web gives you vs teams that have Pokemon reliant on outspeeding the other mon.

It'll be interesting to see what Pokemon get Spider Web, because the move itself has pretty huge implications.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
So if I'm looking at this correctly, which is a one turn set-up move which at least lowers Speed by 1.5x, then this move will be amazing.

Just think about, there are entire teams based on moves that give a similar speed advantage which only last 5 turns. Just the fact that this can negate all Choice Scarfs is astounding.

This has potential to be as game changing as Stealth Rock if it gets a good enough distribution. HO teams will love it for neutering Scarfers while Bulky Offense will appreciate having slower opponents. Hopefully Galvantula gets it. It has the speed and decent offenses as well, so it won't be as dead-weight as something like Ariados.

The one thing that might hold this move back is the fact that it can be countered by your opponent also using sticky web - then both sides have it up effectively nullifying the effects.
But yeah, this is still a fantastic move even if it has mediocre distribution, might finally see pokemon running electro ball.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This sounds pretty legit, HO Teams can use this in conjunction with Spikes+SR to make sweepers like Moxie Krookodile all the more deadly; this could mean faster Scarfers are less of a problem for slower Scarf mons. Let's just see.

I think Galvantula, if it gets this, will make it big. It has STAB Bug Buzz and Compound Eyes Thunder to drop Espeon, Xatu, and Absol (who will eat Bug Buzz before it can make a move as MegaAbsol). A lot of common Pokemon that carried Magic Coat take SE damage from Galvantula's STABs and coverage. This is really gonna mess with the way offensive teams work.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The one thing that might hold this move back is the fact that it can be countered by your opponent also using sticky web - then both sides have it up effectively nullifying the effects.
But yeah, this is still a fantastic move even if it has mediocre distribution, might finally see pokemon running electro ball.
This is something I just realized- it's interesting because this is an entry hazard (I'm assuming) that doesn't have to be countered by a Rapid Spinner. That in itself would make this move, assuming it gets anywhere near the distribution of SR, better and worse- overall if you have it and your opponent doesn't, you have a massive advantage- but if you both have it, no harm done to either. There's not much reason to not run this move if you have the option.

It'll be interesting to see what Pokemon get Spider Web, because the move itself has pretty huge implications.
Only Spider-like Pokémon, and it's not breedable to anything else. Though Electroweb is learnable by other Bug-types (most of them not very good, unfortunately)

If Forretress gets this move, it'll be golden.

If this is a new entry hazard, wouldn't it make it vulnerable to Rapid Spinning it away? Granted you'll want to take out your opponent's RSer immediately but the implication of that is still there.

If this is a new entry hazard, wouldn't it make it vulnerable to Rapid Spinning it away? Granted you'll want to take out your opponent's RSer immediately but the implication of that is still there.
Rapid Spinning is tough, even more so now that aegislash can stop foretress and the grass/ghost can stop starmie (hopefully, depending on how well it takes ice beam) and mega gengar can switch in on rapid spin and trap the spinner

Rapid Spinning is tough, even more so now that aegislash can stop foretress and the grass/ghost can stop starmie (hopefully, depending on how well it takes ice beam) and mega gengar can switch in on rapid spin and trap the spinner
Trevelant I think is the Grass/Ghost? Anyway, yeah, fair enough. At the same time you have to wonder how many new toys they'll be gaining in response. Plus the details about the newer moves are still sketchy, so.

EV

Banned deucer.
I wonder if it would affect Rattled? Probably not, since it's not an attack but an entry hazard, and it's not like the ability gets wide distribution anyway. BUT if something good got Rattled and this move did activate it, that Pokémon would get a +1 Speed boost to negate the drop (never mind that isn't impressive I was never here.)

Sticky Web will hopefully get some nice distribution. I can at least see Forretress receiving it.
With Sticky Web in play a lot of MegaEvolutions particularly may become more ... "manageable" perhaps because many of them rely on their Speed increases

Trevelant I think is the Grass/Ghost? Anyway, yeah, fair enough. At the same time you have to wonder how many new toys they'll be gaining in response. Plus the details about the newer moves are still sketchy, so.
There are two Grass/Ghost-types. Trevenant is the better-known one, but Gourgeist is tankier and likely better suited to the role.

Do we have confirmation that this stays as a standard entry hazard rather than only working once or something? It seems almost too good to be true.

Trevenant needs maximum investment and no hazards on its side of the field to avoid a 2HKO from LO Ice Beam. However, it does in fact deal a minimum of 91% with 0 Atk Seed Bomb, so if Starmie DOES hit it with a Life Orb Ice Beam after it's switched in, it's guaranteed to be OHKOd. Notably, Power Whip OHKOs all the time guaranteed.

Is there anything else known about the move? Does it affect flying pokemon? Bug pokemon? Is it permanent like other hazards? Because it almost feels like a permanent Tailwind to me.

Defiant suddenly becomes the new Choice Scarf when this gets popular. Assuming both players run this move then you pretty much have to use it or else your opponent will out-speed your entire team. I guess the users of this move will either have to rely on focus sash or possibly Choice Scarf to out-speed Taunt and OHKOs. I'm assuming it only will only be given to Galvantula, Ariados and Smeargle.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Two words: Trick Room.

If cast in the right situation, you might even benefit from having this hazard at your side of the field. Using it to slow down one's own teammates for Trick Room goodness can be a viable strategy in Doubles.

But yeah, in general the usefulness of this move is heavily dependent on distribution. It could end up becoming this generation's equivalent of Simple - a good ability/move that never gets to shine in Standard play because it's only given to near-useless 'mons in the lowest tiers.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^No, I mean like Simple on Swoobat and Bibarel. Very good in the right hands, barely half-decent in the wrong ones. If Galvantula gets it, there is some hope for Sticky Web, but if not, expect it to remain an obscurity.

Smeargle is going to be able to use it at least, so it'll have some use in higher tiers.
Considering all the nerfs to Spore this gen, perhaps it'll even be Smeargle's new niche, along with Geomancy passing.

Is there anything else known about the move? Does it affect flying pokemon? Bug pokemon? Is it permanent like other hazards? Because it almost feels like a permanent Tailwind to me.

Defiant suddenly becomes the new Choice Scarf when this gets popular. Assuming both players run this move then you pretty much have to use it or else your opponent will out-speed your entire team. I guess the users of this move will either have to rely on focus sash or possibly Choice Scarf to out-speed Taunt and OHKOs. I'm assuming it only will only be given to Galvantula, Ariados and Smeargle.
Defiant only raises Attack. That's interesting on already slow Pokemon like Bisharp, but +2/-1 Tornadus isn't really something I'm worried about.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Smeargle is going to be able to use it at least, so it'll have some use in higher tiers.
Considering all the nerfs to Spore this gen, perhaps it'll even be Smeargle's new niche, along with Geomancy passing.
Smeargle is never passing geomancy.

Defiant only raises Attack. That's interesting on already slow Pokemon like Bisharp, but +2/-1 Tornadus isn't really something I'm worried about.
There's now the special variant Competitive. At the moment, distribution is poor, but there may well be something specially Bisharp-esque that gets it. Then again, there's only one special priority move (that we know of) and it's almost never really worth using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)